Hey Guys, any former askscooby members?

Hello, I just found this site and liked the principles of it so thought I'd sign up and see what everyone's like. I'm not your usual Nerd but think I qualify just on the basis that my job is in IT :)

I was a member for many years of the askscooby forum until it sadly got shut down due to people ruining things for Scooby, my username was the same on there so anyone else has migrated and recognise my username say hello. This forum seems to share the sites philosophies much close than any other so I am thinking this is where everyone may have gone.

Current Training

3 times per week alternating push and pull workouts, each workout consists of 10 exercises with light and heavy set of each so it is a hybrid of P&P and HST.

I also cycle 6 miles twice per day, 5 days per week to work and back. I have a Defy 3 for any cyclists on here.

Cheers Guys

Sam

*** Member of "Warriors" and "Fitness Rebellion" ***

*** Former "AskScooby" Member ***

*** "Tnation" Member ***

*** Weight Lifter ***

*** Cyclist ***

*** Calisthenics ***

Hey Sam:

The only thing you need to do to join the Warriors' Guild is decide that's what you want to be!

If you're interested in participating in the challenges, you will have to spend your first challenge in the "First Time Challengers" area, although of course you can be warrior inclined ;)

It sounds like you are pretty set with your training plan - how long have you been doing it? I usually don't recommend that people do so much. I lift 4x/week (as you possibly saw from my thread) and pretty much don't do any cardio. My workouts are only 3-4 exercises, consisting of squat, bench, deadlift, and some pull work. Do you squat and DL? If you don't, you should.

If you're looking on gaining size,  you should probably ditch the cardio. At least the LISS stuff. Check out the link that SwoleTroll posted in my topic "conditioning" (under the powerlifting heading).

Feel free to ask any other questions in the Warrior Guild - there are other dudes there who have a lot more experience than I do!

Welcome!

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Hey Mir I'm in then if that's ok :)

I've been training about 5 years on and off, the push and pull - HST hybrid I have only been doing a few weeks it's just something different for a month or two as I was doing a 4 day split much the same as you describe for a while and started to stagnate on adding weight. Here are my workouts;

Pull -- DL, Wide Pull Up, Narrow Chin Up, Hanging leg Raise, Rev Flys, Lat Raises, Hammer Curls, Ab Rollers, Shrugs, Crunches

Push -- Inc. Bench Press, Squat, Calf Raises, OHP, Tri Dips, DB Flys, Shoulder Press, Wide Push Ups, Side Raises, Tri Kickbacks

I'll check out the thread, I do want to gain size but the cycling is getting to work and back and don't want to completely drop cardio rather eat more, I do tend to add fat when gaining size if I don't do any cardio.

What is LISS by the way?

Cheers

Sam

*** "Tnation" Member ***

*** Weight Lifter ***

*** Cyclist ***

*** Calisthenics ***

Looks like lots of accessory stuff which is fine if you've got the time! Actually I'm a little jealous :)

And yeah, if you're eating more than maintenance calories, you'll tend to gain size. And some of it will be fat. There's really no getting around it, unfortunately.

If you're really interested in bodyweight manipulation stuff, you should check out any of Waldo's threads. He is a master of that.

LISS = low intensity, steady state - as opposed to HIIT, high intensity interval training. :)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Ye I'm just doing them to get over the plateau really then intend to drop these down to just 6 each workout after few more weeks.

Ye some people are lucky and grow without but I am not one of those lucky few so I keep the cardio going to minimise this and make most gains lean, I also only eat a 500 calorie excess so gains are slow but lean.

Ye I will take a look at that Waldo thread, I now add body weight exercises into my workouts and use a dipping belt to add weight but a couple of years ago I got really into calisthenics and had some pretty good gains for a while but then plateaued and went back to the barbell.

Ah I see never heard the LISS one before I don't think, learn something new every day :)

So what does your 4 day split look like mate?

*** "Tnation" Member ***

*** Weight Lifter ***

*** Cyclist ***

*** Calisthenics ***

Day 1: squat, bench

Day 2: deadlift, push press

Day 3: squat bench (within 10% of Day 1's max)

Day 4: front squat, ohp

I'll add in some extras if I have time - rows, leg raises, good mornings, etc. Unfortunately I just don't have a lot of time - I go to the gym on my lunch break and so I have to change, run there, lift, run back, and change again within an hour.

I rotate every few weeks - so for a few weeks I'll do sets of 10, then move to 5s, then 3s, then start all over again. I've seen some really good progress from it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Ye sounds good mate for a mass builder I also rotate every couple of months I normally do 2 x 10s , 3 x 8s , 4 x 6s , 5 x 5s.

I workout in evenings at home so have a bit more time plus my cardio is cycling to work and back so I get a bit of a rest, I should think running to gym lifting for half hour and running back is a good workout though.

What's a push press?

*** "Tnation" Member ***

*** Weight Lifter ***

*** Cyclist ***

*** Calisthenics ***

Ah I see so that's more of a powerlifting / skill based movement than a bodybuilding / hypertrophy one.

Cheers

Sam

*** "Tnation" Member ***

*** Weight Lifter ***

*** Cyclist ***

*** Calisthenics ***