My Ups and Downs; An Intro

Hello Gang,

I stumbled across this site thanks to The Art of Manliness blog and I am so glad to have found it. My name is Russell, I'm 31 and I am a writer in the great state of Alabama. And I had officially let myself go. I'd always been up and down with my weight. Even 10 years ago when I was in the Air Force I'd balloon up to my max allowed weight before hitting the gym and dropping a few. I was always good at losing weight, but even better at gaining it right back. I struggle with sticking with a routine more than 6 months.

After the military I got married and had children and once again let myself go. Badly. 5'8 and 200 pounds of Burger badly. I woke up one day and found myself single again so I took up boxing. I loved it. I got my weight down to a very fit 165 pounds, but like most other times I lost weight, I lost interest. And I started to gain again. More and more. Until the other day, almost two years to the day I quit boxing, I weighed in at 220 pounds. I knew it was bad when I couldn't walk the stairs in a Basketball Coliseum without being winded. Even worse though, was how bad my mental outlook had become. It's as I've been living in a constant state of depression. And rather than fight back and try to climb out of it, I accept the depression and drag my heels all day feeling sorry for myself.

A few days ago I decided enough was enough. It's time to get back to being the man I want to be and can be. For me, for my children, for my health. So I started working out on my own at home and have by a stroke of good fortune found myself here. And what an awesome place and group of folks it appears to be. Thanks so much for this site and the articles. I can't wait to get to know everyone better on this awesome journey.

• Like 1

Well, from a fellow Alabamian, welcome!

Sorry to hear about you ups and downs. Life has a way of testing us. But I'm really glad you dug in your heels, and are starting to make a change.

This is a great place for exercise and nutrition tips, but also, if you just need to vent some issues to clear your head, please do. Though Anne might make you do some pushups for it :)

Ranger - Rheno - Rising Hero

Current Challenge