Favorite Apps - tracking, workouts, etc.

I spent HOURS yesterday trying to figure out how to get all my apps and things to play nicely together.

I use loseit for food and exercise logging.

I have my withings scale linked up to loseit.

I also have runkeeper linked to loseit.

I also have runkeeper linked to fitocracy, which i've used in the past for my bodyweight workouts and which I just started using again tonight.

I bought a biasport gps watch (kickstarted it) and they don't support runkeeper, they support mapmyrun. I haven't been running for the whole summer (sigh ACL injury and subsequent surgery) but when I start again, I need to decide if it's worth switching, or if I can keep using runkeeper and just manually upload the tracks.

I also just ordered a mio link heart rate monitor optical sensor to better track my physical therapy exertion.

I know it will link to the bia sport, but I don't think the bia saves the HR information yet.

so I guess I will likely have to have my phone linked to the HRM when I'm using it, ugh.

I was thinking about an activity tracker - I was really sold on the mio fuse, which has the optical HRM included, but then the more research I did, the more I got confused. so I'm just going to wait and see what that field does as it advances. there are a lot of new trackers coming out.

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

I spent HOURS yesterday trying to figure out how to get all my apps and things to play nicely together.

I was thinking about an activity tracker - I was really sold on the mio fuse, which has the optical HRM included, but then the more research I did, the more I got confused. so I'm just going to wait and see what that field does as it advances. there are a lot of new trackers coming out.

I have the same sort of problem! That was me Monday. Just got a Fitbit and linked it to mapmyfitness and myfitnesspal. Then figured out that mapmyfitness is not importing runs into myfitnesspal at the moment, making my calorie estimates off... but if I log a run in myfitnesspal too, it would double log in fitbit. So looks like mapmyfitness is only going to be my running/mapping app for the moment. 

Fitbit is coming out with a Charge HR, which I would have definitely gone for if it wasn't coming out in a few months! I finally got to the point where I figured that if I waited for the field to slow its turnover I'd never get a tracker... so I took the plunge and got a Fitbit One. 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I finally got a smart phone. It is android, looking for a recipe/meal planning app that is good. I'm using MFP to track food, but I'd love somewhere to store recipes and make meal plans and shopping lists. Thanks

So far, Out of Milk is my favorite shopping list app.  Their most recent update makes life soooooooo much easier as it automatically categorizes everything you input..so all the produce goes on one list, dairy on another, etc.  Instead of having to read through my whole list everytime I change sections at the store, I just have to find the one for the section I presently find myself in.  I haven't really explored it's features in depth (now I think I want to just talking about it) but its definitely my favorite for lists.

Meal planning I do best on my own, so I don't really have an app for that, but I do use a couple for recipe ideas/inspiration.  Cookpad is my main go to (can't remember what its name used to be..they just changed it recently) for that purpose.

And while it isn't an app per se, I use google drive A LOT to store my recipes.  I can type them up on my computer and then access them from any mobile device wherever I go.  I heavily recommend this if you like to write your own recipes (or simply like collecting them) as it means you can always access your favorite recipes no matter where you find yourself.

I have the same sort of problem! That was me Monday. Just got a Fitbit and linked it to mapmyfitness and myfitnesspal. Then figured out that mapmyfitness is not importing runs into myfitnesspal at the moment, making my calorie estimates off... but if I log a run in myfitnesspal too, it would double log in fitbit. So looks like mapmyfitness is only going to be my running/mapping app for the moment. 

Fitbit is coming out with a Charge HR, which I would have definitely gone for if it wasn't coming out in a few months! I finally got to the point where I figured that if I waited for the field to slow its turnover I'd never get a tracker... so I took the plunge and got a Fitbit One. 

I went with the LG LifeBand touch myself, it took awhile to grow on me but the reviews online are pretty bogus (vast majority of negative reviews come from those who owned it for less than 48hrs..I've had mine since they launched this summer).

The HRM is probably one of the coolest pieces of tech I've played with..it's a pair of headphones (sold separately).  Price tag is a bit high, but I've read reviews from those who have compared it side by side with Polar chest HRM's and have found it to be dead on.  And wearing headphones while I work out definitely trumps wearing a chest hrm..been there, done that, never again.

I haven't dabbled yet with mfp or mmf or any of the other fitness apps compatible with the devices yet, I've been fairly satisfied just with the app it comes with.  I especially like how it breaks down my activity for every hour of the day..I've used this feature at work to find out when my least productive periods are and find ways to stay moving (so both a fitness and personal benefit).  It's definitely a fun toy to play with!

Has anyone tried the "7 minutes superhero workout" app of sixtostart, who also created the "zombies, run!" app?

In that app you're a superhero and you have to defend the world against aliens. Therefor for example you have to charge a reactor or activate your weapons by doing triceps dips, push ups or something like that. It works somehow with motion tracking.

It sounds interessting, but I'm not sure if it works and if it's reasonable. I'm in doubt about it.

Whoever finds mistranslations or spelling errors may keep them - I still have got more than enough.

Milli, I tried the superhero workout app.  It seemed to track my activity fine, I had to move my iPad up and down from resting on a table to resting on the floor facing me during the exercises depending on whether it was standing exercises or floor ones like pushups.  I didn't get very far in the story line so can't really comment on that.  My problem with it was that the exercises and length were preset so you had to do the exercises that its decided on rather than ones that you might want to do and I found this too limiting to stick with it.

Fitness:  Self defence, Yoga, Meditation.  As of July 16 dumbell weight training.

Other interests:  Pre hospital medicine, Role playing, Sci-fi / fantasy, Cooking, Dog.

First Challenge Second Challenge Third Challenge

Bua5 workouts by futuristic labs is one of the coolest apps I've ever used. It finds out your maxes and creates a workout based on your strength level and it is constantly updating how many reps you do. It's a really cool aid

Human Urban Ranger

Level 2: STR: 5, DEX: 4, STA: 2, CON: 3, WIS: 4, CHA: 1

"He must become greater; I must become less." John 3:30 

CHALLENGE

Bua5 workouts by futuristic labs is one of the coolest apps I've ever used. It finds out your maxes and creates a workout based on your strength level and it is constantly updating how many reps you do. It's a really cool aid

I use Wodify for pretty much the same thing. I like its graphical tracking and percentage chart that shoes up automatically. 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I know I'm a little late to the game but I know TehSuckij and clandestine both mentioned Evernote and I can't say enough good things about the program.  It is available across multiple platforms(phone, tablet, computer), highly searchable and customizable.  I personally track my sleep, food, both what I eat and the amount, recipes, work outs and every week I upload a picture of my evernote moleskin which is like a sort of journal...and a bunch more stuff.  It is really a versatile program and I have even gotten a few others to use it! 

If you're bored with life, if you don't get up every morning with a burning desire to do things - you don't have enough goals. - Lou Holtz

I love MapMyFitness.  I use it to log my workouts and it also has a GPS function so you can track your biking, hiking, or walking courses.  

It also constantly has challenges that you can participate in to win prizes and/or just to keep you motivated.  Needless to say I'm a big fan.

I do wish it had better food tracking capabilities but overall I think it's great.

• Like 1

Just checked out MapMyFitness on your recommendation, GoldFly... it's taking some getting used to coming from other apps, but so far I must say I'm liking it. 

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

After a couple months of using MapMyFitness and MapMyRide together and love both, I wish there was a magical MapMyWOD that I could hook up to my heart for an accurate calorie-burning reading for Crossfit WODs.

What do you mean that's called a FitBit and heart rate monitor?  I don't wanna spend money though!

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

I've used the Zombies 5k app and loved it, the problem was that the gym I was using (my college has three) wasn't air conditioned. I had been running on a track and jumping from that in the middle of the program to running outside in a mountainous area wasn't going to be a good idea. Also, I wasn't going to do squats in the middle of the sidewalk. I did use it for a 5k once or twice, but I ignored anything that wasn't running or walking. 

This summer I swapped over to MapMyRun and since I only use it for running I love it! I program the runs back into my FitBit app (my other favorite app) and I'm good to go. If you wanna find me on MapMyRun I'm starwarsfreak95 and I have no one on there so please find me :)

I've used MyFitnessPal before but I hate counting calories. 

I manually write down most of my workouts so that I can make notes. Since finding a weak ankle while running, I'm glad I did. 

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

It's Just Logical - Jedi Studies Under Eraserhead

Jedi Battle Log

“If you feel yourself hitting up against your limit, remember for what cause you clench your fists! Remember why you started down this path, and let that memory carry you beyond your limit”

- Toshinori Yagi (All Might), My Hero Academia

Challenges#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49

Hi all!

I currently use:

Calorie Counter & Diet Tracker by MyFitness Pal- everyone has basically heard about this, I like this because it has a LARGE range of food items you can itemize and calculate the calories. I like it because it makes you more aware and you just feel more educated about how healthy the food item is as you go throughout the day.

Im2Calories- I think this is just a cool app because it analyzes the calories of your food item based upon the picture you take of it. I mean we always take pictures of our food anyways ("Food eats first" lol). This app does it by analyzing the colors in your food. Just one thing is that it isn't completely accurate.

To look out for:

**Move It Fitness Device- I saw this on facebook and it honestly looks really interesting. It has four different workout tools in one, and has a great app where you can compete with other people while tracking your own calories, etc. It's something to look out for because it's just launching. It also looks really modern and cool! http://move-it.club 

LOVE this post. I, too, am an app junkie.

My mains are:
MyFitnessPal
FitBit
Sworkit
RockMyRun

I love C25K and SL5x5. I have tried SOOO many apps and I am generally let down. I wish there was one that had everything, instead of having to have a suite.

WEEK 1 - H2O X X X | FOOD X X X X | ZUMBA X | 
WEEK 2 - H2O
X ✓ ✓ XX️ X️  | FOOD ✓ ✓ ✓ ️ ️   | ZUMBA  | 
WEEK 3 - H2O 
X️ X️ ✓ ✓ ✓ ️ ️X️️| FOOD ✓ ✓ ✓ X️️  X️ ️️| ZUMBA ️️ | 
WEEK 4 - H2O 
| FOOD ️| ZUMBA ️️ | 

Challenges: 1 | 23 | 45 | 6 | 7 | 8Current
Find me on: MyFitnessPal & Fitbit  [[My Character]]   

There is a beast in every woman, and it stirs when you put a barbell in her hands.

❚█═══════█❚

Somewhat reviving an older thread, but a friend showed me jefit a week ago, and I've been trying it out and really like it. I used it today for my workout, and I like how it gives you everything you need in one place. I found a workout plan that I liked the sound of ("Spring into Summer") and it tells me what exercise to do, has a gif of the exercise, info on it if you so desire, and logs your weight / reps. After each set, a countdown begins for when you start the next set. Kept me focused and my heart rate up throughout the workout. I suggest trying it out if you like fitness apps and something to create a program for you. 

Human Warrior

"Every passing moment is another opportunity to turn it all around."

As a few have mentioned, my list revolves around ones that play nice with MyFitnessPal. Although I haven't really used it for a while.  The one I use the most is Fitbit, with one of their Flex trackers and their Aria scales, the wifi connectivity on them is an excellent feature. 

I got a TomTom sports watch with heart rate monitor and cadence sensor for tracking bike rides. The GPS takes a while to connect & it isn't much good for indoor training. So I got Wahoo for that & the sensors work well with it. It also connects with Fitbit & MFP much easier than the TomTom. 

I also use the MapMyFitness family of apps for mapping walks, runs & hikes. They don't sync directly to MFP but I've found that opening Fitbit a few minutes after I've completed my activity, it syncs with that, then that syncs with MFP. Not an ideal solution, but it is workable & stops duplicate logs. 

My workouts consist of some strength stuff (mostly kettlebells and bodyweigt) and some endurance stuff (running, rowing, swimming, cycling). 
I'd like a tool to track these. Ok, there is always pen and paper. But I'd also love the possibility to analyze the data (without "importing" the handwritten notebook into MS excel...).

I have a runtastic account, but that seems spretty much useless for anything else but running. And when the free trial premium membership expires in one and a half week, it will become even more useless. But I found it really motivating to see some fancy colourful graphs and some statistics before and after my workouts...
So I'd like something that can cope with (= keep track and analyze) different exercises (and different weights) when strenght training, as well as logging and analyzing endurance sports. If I could integrate a heart rate monitor (which I do not own yet, but might some day), that would be even better.

Any suggestions?

Rowing, rucking, running, lifting heavy stuff. Why not do it all?

I'm a big advocate of Strava, as running is the only activity I track and log. The slight competitive nature of seeing your segments pitted against others who've ran it is the most fun, and gives you something to aim for when you notice you're not even in the top 1,000!

Other than that, I tried others to log other exercises but I'm on no strict plan and just do as I feel on set days. Food-wise I don't like to calorie count and I'm pretty good with my diet. Unless Snapchat counts as a Food-Log!