Ready for Something Awesome...

Hi, everyone. I'm excited about joining the Rebellion (that sounds so cool).

A little (or more) about me:

From a very young age (let's go back to 1978), I remember wanting nothing more than to save the world from pain, suffering, and injustice. My dad and I had two special clubs we created. One was the Peace Club. That was awesome. Our charter said that we would never turn anyone away so long as he or she had an honest and good heart, even if letting them in meant we had to forgive them for something first. Anybody could join. Our vision statement was something along the lines of "The pursuit of world peace at all costs." And we were serious about the "at all costs" part.

Our second club (which was a super secret, level 1 membership club) was the War Club. This club maintained exclusive membership rules. To date, the War Club has inducted only two members. I'm one. The other just turned 71 today (Happy Birthday, Dad!). Between the two of us, we have more than a century of War Club experience. We are kind of lethal, but not in a bad way. You know...in a "great power = great responsibility" kind of way. We maintained that war was and forever shall be a very last resort. Anything is possible through the art of negotiation until, of course, it's not. That's when war comes in.

Growing up as a budding super hero, though, was not easy for me. You see...I was a fat kid. FAT. I can't really pinpoint when that happened, but I'd guess sometime after 1st grade. As much as I loved the idea of being a super-strong defender of justice, I loved the sensation of eating food. Chips and dips, sugary sodas, diet sodas (arguably worse), and pizza. My dad, a lawyer, was not exactly the sports and nutrition role model. My mom tried to help, but it's hard helping a kid hell-bent on eating everything in sight. Plus...I was kind of a cute fat kid. 

At some point, I figured out some basic "fitness" and "diet" rules and managed to lose a few pounds by my mid teens, but I never achieved that superhuman form I always dreamed of having. I played football, hockey, and baseball for years, but I never got good at any of them because I hadn't unearthed my inner athlete. I went off to college and forgot all about fitness and good nutrition (a unique story for sure). I gained twenty or so pounds, and dropped out after a year with nothing but a sad GPA to show for it. That's when I had my first, major life-defining moment.

Not long after I turned 20, I finally got my chance to be a super hero for real. I decided to join the military. Unfortunately, for about 10 years, I totally blew the opportunity by doing only what the military required of me physically. At about the 11-year mark, I got serious. I got slimmer and stronger than I'd ever been. I looked incredible and felt unstoppable. No fad diet plans. No 30-day DVD series. Just me, the road, and lots of two-day split dumbbell workouts. I maintained it all for about 2 years. I was a beast!

The only thing out of place was my long-term smoking habit (picked that up in high school). So I quit. Just like that.

That was three years ago.

That was 25 pounds ago.

I'm still working out. I'm strong. I'm athletic. I've got loads of endurance. I'm a warrior to the core. I look sloppy, though, and I feel worse. My diet sucks, and my training consistency is, well...inconsistent. 

And so it's time for another life-defining moment, and this seems like the perfect place to kick off the journey. Yeah. I'm ready for something awesome.

Thanks for letting me join the Rebellion Club. Oh...sorry, Steve. I mean, "the Rebellion."

Best wishes, everyone!

P.S. My Kryptonite: Pizza, and chips with salsa. Don't tell the bad guys!