Experiment Mark: Lift Heavy. Lose weight.

Short Background:  I've lost nearly 100lbs over the past year on various workout and diets.  I'm now hovering between 405-410lbs.

Long background.  Didn't think it'd be appropriate to repost everything I'd already written.

My experiment going forward is to see if I can lose weight while making gains in strength.  I've been following Starting Strength and then throwing in lower weight/higher rep arm exercises to build size. I also try to go on long walks 1-2 times/week.

My diet is currently as close to 1500cals/day as I can get, eaten from 6pm-10pm.  Rest of the day is a fast with just water.  I'm not eating very clean at the moment.  We currently eat boxed meals and processed stuff a couple times per week.  Working to implement the good stuff but its a slow battle.  Also have BCAAs on order, will be taking them every couple on workout days to (hopefully) help preserve muscle during my fast.

I recently had been experiencing some back pain that was mostly remedied with help from El Exorcisto but I took it a little easier on squats today and really focused on going deep just to be careful.  Deadlifts felt good.

Today's working sets:

Squats:

3 sets of 5 at 135lbs.  As mentioned before, really focused on going deep, keeping good form, and seeing how the back felt.  I'm excited to replace body weight with iron here as the body weight is lost.

Overhead Press:

Only 1 set of 5 at 100lbs.  Last week I had no issue doing 3 sets of 5 at 95 but just couldn't get the bar off my chest for the second set.   Took it down to 95 and still couldn't so I imagine I'll be feeling it in the morning.

Deadlift:

3 sets of 5 at 275lbs.  Felt strong while doing so.  This is by far my favorite lift and I'm glad I could do it confidently. 

Barbell curls:

3 sets of 15 at 55lbs

Hammer curls:

3 sets of 20 at 25lbs

Skullcrushers:

3 sets of 15 at 55lbs

Triceps pulldowns w/ Rope:

2 sets of 15 at 80lbs

1 set of 15 at 100lbs

I'm pretty much just going with whatever feels good at the time for arms.  I'm seeing and feeling results so I must be doing something right. 

Weighed in at 408.4 post-workout.

If anyone has any suggestions/encouragement/motivation/stories, please feel free.

Spoiler

Currently...

Playing (Video Game): RDR2

DMing: Tyranny of Dragons.  First session 11/29.

Broba Fett tracks em down.

Facebook (Personal)  Facebook (Author Page)

Past Challenges:

Thanks Ghostwolf. 

I've just started lifting this summer, fell off for about a month and then started up again a couple weeks ago so my PRs aren't too impressive but they are as follows:

Squat 185x3x5

OHP... Actually now that I think about it, today was a PR at 100x1x5!  Finishing all three sets would be 95x3x5

Deadlift 315x3x5

Bench 150x3x5 I believe... May have been 155.  Last week I was repping 135 without issue.

Good news is I don't have far to go in any category to start setting new records every week.  I'm pretty stoked to see how high I can go.

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Hey there!

I'm Ash and I saw you on Donar's thread asking about recomping! That's awesome!

Donar is also helping me through my first recomp, though this is my second NF challenge. Thought I'd drop by and follow as I would love to watch you progress on this journey!

Consider me a friend and follower!

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Welcome Ash, good to have you aboard.

This morning weighed in at 406.2

Rest day today but I am planning on doing some archery with a buddy tonight.  Might not sound like a lot but pulling a 55lb draw bow 50-60 times can be a pretty good workout.

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

archery! awesome!! (pics?!)

can't wait to see your continued progress!

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Archery got cancelled as my archery buddy hurt his shoulder and had orders to take it easy for a week from his Dr. :(

(I'm trying to convince him to join the forums.  He is a total Monk and regularly goes in woods with his recurve and runs along fallen trees pretending he is Legolas and looking for deer.  He would fit in well.)

I promise photos next week however.  Hold me to it.

Workout today went mostly well.  My deadlift tasted blood for the first time.

Went a little like this:

Squat:

145x3x5

Last set was a little shaky and I felt like I wasn't going deep enough so I'll probably leave it here Monday and finish strong.

Bench:

145x1x5

145x1x2

Attempted to do my third rep on my second set and body wasn't having it.  Had to set it on the lowest rung and wiggle my way out from under the bar.  Not sure if I'll leave it at 145 or back it down to 140 for Monday.  Recommendations?

Deadlift:

295x3x5

Very last rep was shaky.  I hit a point where my legs and back were extended but I really had to push like hell to get my shoulders back.  I have decided that there is nothing better than putting down a heavy deadlift when you are finished with your set.

Just did two arm exercises today as I was running late (Was actually late for work, eek.  Need to get up earlier):

Barbell curl:

45x1x15

55x1x10

60x1x10

Triceps pulldown:

80x1x20

100x1x20

120x1x25 (exhaustion)

Goals for this coming week:

1. Finish each lift strong so I can move up in weight.
  2. Start hitting my macros that Donar set up for me.  (I did enjoy my protein shake post workout today)
  3. Study BCAAs and better understand how they'll fit into my diet as they're being delivered tomorrow.
  4. Not look at the scale until next Friday when I'll do a weigh-in and measurements.

Something else I've noticed this week:  Lifting in the mornings has improved my mental state tremendously.  I used to be fatigued and grouchy most days.   Now I'm upbeat and energetic and more positive.  I don't know if it's a chemical change or if I'm just getting my frustrations out before coming in to work.  Don't know what it is but its noticeable.

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Oh, regarding my deadlift. 

Made my hand bleed in one spot and tore open another spot.  I just got a band-aid so I wouldn't bleed on everything and finished up but it made showering a bitch.

Any suggestions on this? Should I invest in chalk?  Man up and push through it until my hands toughen up?  I'm already leaving my wedding ring off while deadlifting (that was a mistake I didn't want to repeat).

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Did you have something to eat this morning before workout or were you doing starvation mode? Another thing is did you get enough sleep last night? I know for me if I'm tired from lack of sleep and havent eaten anything sustaining my workouts suffer greatly. good workout though, keep at it. if you have another bench day like today I would reset by dropping 10-15% and start over. it happens. To bad you didnt get to screw around with your bow last night. I shoot traditional recurve and yes it can be very taxing on the body. Enjoy your day brother and keep after it.

awesome workout! i just recently switched to working out in the morning as well and have found that I'm way more cheerful and my coworkers no longer have to wait until I'm done with my coffee to interact with me :D

Oh, regarding my deadlift. 

Made my hand bleed in one spot and tore open another spot.  I just got a band-aid so I wouldn't bleed on everything and finished up but it made showering a bitch.

Any suggestions on this? Should I invest in chalk?  Man up and push through it until my hands toughen up?  I'm already leaving my wedding ring off while deadlifting (that was a mistake I didn't want to repeat).

Was this a callus that got ripped off? I definitely have heard that chalk will help but also taking care of your calluses so that they are not raised as much (and therefore, less likely to rip) should help. I always have a few calluses that come in and out depending on my programming but I never have gotten to the point where I need to care for them so I can't speak to this issue further! I'm sure there are plenty of warriors who would be able to chime in with advice on this though. If you don't hear back on this thread - I'd post your question here :)

Instagram | pinterest

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Did you have something to eat this morning before workout or were you doing starvation mode? Another thing is did you get enough sleep last night? I know for me if I'm tired from lack of sleep and havent eaten anything sustaining my workouts suffer greatly. good workout though, keep at it. if you have another bench day like today I would reset by dropping 10-15% and start over. it happens. To bad you didnt get to screw around with your box last night. I shoot traditional recurve and yes it can be very taxing on the body. Enjoy your day brother and keep after it.

I was mid-fast but thats only because the groceries in the house are set up for fasting until we go again.  I broke it right after my workout with a protein shake and I'll be dropping the IF thing as soon as I can get to the store as the macros that Donar suggested would just be too much to eat in 4hrs.

Sleep has been excellent lately.  Almost exactly 8hrs and felt completely refreshed upon waking.

Thanks for the advice on the bench.  I shall see how it goes on

I'm just really getting into archery but my buddy has been doing it all year.  He shoots a 40lb Bear recurve that is way more fun to shoot than my bow.  I have a 55lb compound bow that is older than I am and has almost no letoff.  As soon as I can scrounge up a few hundred dollars I'll be buying a recurve or longbow that can handle my 33" draw. 

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

awesome workout! i just recently switched to working out in the morning as well and have found that I'm way more cheerful and my coworkers no longer have to wait until I'm done with my coffee to interact with me :D

Was this a callus that got ripped off? I definitely have heard that chalk will help but also taking care of your calluses so that they are not raised as much (and therefore, less likely to rip) should help. I always have a few calluses that come in and out depending on my programming but I never have gotten to the point where I need to care for them so I can't speak to this issue further! I'm sure there are plenty of warriors who would be able to chime in with advice on this though. If you don't hear back on this thread - I'd post your question here :)

Thanks for checking in. 

No calluses ripped off.  The tear that actually bled is about 1/4" above where my wedding ring usually is.  The spot that tore but didn't bleed is on my palm. I shall have to check in that other forum when I get a minute, thanks much!

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

I promise photos next week however.  Hold me to it.

Workout today went mostly well.  My deadlift tasted blood for the first time.

Something else I've noticed this week:  Lifting in the mornings has improved my mental state tremendously.  I used to be fatigued and grouchy most days.   Now I'm upbeat and energetic and more positive.  I don't know if it's a chemical change or if I'm just getting my frustrations out before coming in to work.  Don't know what it is but its noticeable.

Would love to see the photos!

Good job on the workout, though ouchie! :nightmare:

I have a friend (ElbowRocker) who has a similar problem with the tearing. He uses chalk and I don't know if it makes a lot of difference. Maybe he can give you some suggestions! His Battle Log is here:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/36541-elbowrockers-battle-log/

Yep, endorphins. One of the resons I like doing mine in the morning. Makes my day better. ^_^

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

I'm excited to see them too as I have a pic of me in January shooting a Dragunov and its an absolutely horrible picture.  I'm excited to see how my back has progressed 80ish lbs later.

I went to the thread Courtnie suggested and they said I should try chalk and maybe resetting my grip between reps.  Makes sense.  That way the bar isn't rollingmy skin.

Sorry for the long wait on the response, went straight from work to d20 Star Wars game last night. :)

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Hope it helps!

Have an awesome weekend! :)

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Doing my workout tonight but I stopped in just to say that today is my first day trying to hit my macros and dear jesus thats a lotta food.

My breakfast was almost the amount of calories I was eating PER DAY prior to Donar figuring out my macros.

Assuming this works, I can see myself being able to sustain such a plan long term.  The difficulty that I'm envisioning is staying under Fat and getting enough Protein...  No matter what, seems much more manageable than low-carb or the extreme calorie restriction I was doing.

That's all for now.  Will update tonight after lifting.

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

good luck today! fat is definitely the macro I have to keep the closest eye on. especially after eating as much fat as I wanted while eating paleo! i have been doing plenty of recipe research on bodybuilding sites which list foods/meals that are high protein and low fat.

Instagram | pinterest

Doing my workout tonight but I stopped in just to say that today is my first day trying to hit my macros and dear jesus thats a lotta food.

My breakfast was almost the amount of calories I was eating PER DAY prior to Donar figuring out my macros.

Assuming this works, I can see myself being able to sustain such a plan long term.  The difficulty that I'm envisioning is staying under Fat and getting enough Protein...  No matter what, seems much more manageable than low-carb or the extreme calorie restriction I was doing.

That's all for now.  Will update tonight after lifting.

Here is what I eat for breakfast every day:

184g egg whites

2 whole eggs

2 ounces fresh pico de gallo

4 slices turkey bacon

2 slices whole grain white bread (toasted)

scramble up the eggs, crunch up the bacon in the eggs, top with pico....*drool

CAL/PRO/CHO/FAT = 472 / 45 / 27 / 22

You can trim out a little fat by dropping one of the eggs or a slice of the turkey bacon....but the egg whites are a fat-free protein.

I just put in whole eggs to get a good saturated fat.....good for supporting natural testosterone levels.... :)

If you put your food in Excel spreadsheets, it makes experimentation/substitution a snap....

But you are right.....fats are sneaky! :D

More super lean protein sources:

- 93% or 96% lean ground beef

- egg whites

- chicken breast

- tilapia, cod fish, etc....

- protein powder

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is what I eat for breakfast every day:

184g egg whites

2 whole eggs

2 ounces fresh pico de gallo

4 slices turkey bacon

2 slices whole grain white bread (toasted)

scramble up the eggs, crunch up the bacon in the eggs, top with pico....*drool

CAL/PRO/CHO/FAT = 472 / 45 / 27 / 22

You can trim out a little fat by dropping one of the eggs or a slice of the turkey bacon....but the egg whites are a fat-free protein.

I just put in whole eggs to get a good saturated fat.....good for supporting natural testosterone levels.... :)

If you put your food in Excel spreadsheets, it makes experimentation/substitution a snap....

But you are right.....fats are sneaky! :D

More super lean protein sources:

- 93% or 96% lean ground beef

- egg whites

- chicken breast

- tilapia, cod fish, etc....

- protein powder

I think repetition is the key.  I'm going to get one or two breakfasts/lunches and just make them daily, have whatever my wife is making for dinner and then have some protein powder/fruit to catch me up on whatever I'm low on.  I'll hopefully get a spreadsheet up and running sometime this week.  Until then I'm using myfitnesspal. Doesn't really help with substitution but makes tracking really easy.

Thank you much, I shall watch that before my workout tonight.

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Lol, I know what you mean about that seeming like a lot of food at first. When Donar did mine I felt exactly the same way!

But after a week or so you get hungrier and it starts to seem easier.

And seconding Donar on the protein powder, it's an excellent way to up the protein without upping fat intake!

Way to go!!! 

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Dude where do you guys find this eating info? Is donar a nutritionist? Cause I need some help with my diet and it'd be worth some wow gold for help lol.

I don't know if he is a nutritionist but he knows his shit. Check out his thread under the warrior section of the current challenge forum. If I wasn't on my phone I'd link it for you.

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Tonight's workout: phenomenal.

Squats:

145x3x5

deep and solid.

Overhead Press:

100x3x5

if you remember, my last OHP stalled out after just one set!

Deadlift:

295x3x5

strong and not shaky like last week. Also, my back is feeling the best it has in a couple weeks.

BB Row:

95x3x10

My first time ever doing these so I just started with the bar and upped it until it was hard to finish 10 and then did two more sets.

Also did some curls and triceps pulldowns.

I don't know if it's because I'm eating more or because I took BCAAS before and during or if I'm just getting stronger (probably all three) but the difference between Friday and today was like day and night.

Did mostly good with my macros. Went over fat and pro by 8g each but I am under my carbs by 75g+. Hopefully that's not a big issue as I am stuffed to the max.

I did fail one goal though. I let my curiosity get the better of me as mind stepped on the scale. I'm up 8lbs. Not panicking though as I know my body is probably doing the whole glycogen/water replenish thing.

Overall, an awesome day.

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges: