• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Raya

Before a Run?

I'm a runner and I'm switching to a Paleo/Primal diet. (Haven't decided if I can give up my greek yogurt for breakfast yet.)

Normally before a run I have either 6 ounces of Mexican Coca-cola (sweetened with cane sugar not HFCS) or Hot Cocoa (1 cup milk, 2 tbsps sugar, 2tbsps cocoa). Other than that I run on an empty stomach (2 hours after eating lunch or first thing in the morning 12 hours after dinner).

What's a good Paleo/Primal pre-run food? I assume the first week or two of lower carb eating my runs are just gonna suck. I'm prepared for that, but don't want them to suck for the rest of my life.

Thanks!

If you are going Primal, you can still have your choc milk drink, just switch out the sugar for raw honey -way better for you regardless of whether you're Paleo/Primal or whatever.

I found it took significantly more than 1-2 weeks for my body to adjust, 3-4 and probably a bit longer before I started to feel as good as pre-Paleo.

A banana is great, 30mins before the run. It's a small enough that it doesn't weigh you down and close enough to your workout that it will make a difference. Alternatively, run in a fasted state, just not when starting Paleo though, let your body adjust first.

I'm a runner and I'm switching to a Paleo/Primal diet. (Haven't decided if I can give up my greek yogurt for breakfast yet.)

Normally before a run I have either 6 ounces of Mexican Coca-cola (sweetened with cane sugar not HFCS) or Hot Cocoa (1 cup milk, 2 tbsps sugar, 2tbsps cocoa). Other than that I run on an empty stomach (2 hours after eating lunch or first thing in the morning 12 hours after dinner).

What's a good Paleo/Primal pre-run food? I assume the first week or two of lower carb eating my runs are just gonna suck. I'm prepared for that, but don't want them to suck for the rest of my life.

Thanks!

1. You don't have to go super low-carb on Paleo (also see #3)

2. My runs are best on an empty/nearly empty stomach - I like to eat at least 2-3 hours before any intense exercise.

3. If you're doing a longer run and are worried about glycogen depletion, have some starch(sweet potatoes, bananas?) the night before, so your glycogen reserves are in decent shape for your run the next day.