what is the opposite of a woot

It really is a matter of time to make a habit.  Just remind yourself, no peeking.  The time will pass if you peek or not and your alarm will let you know when it's time to stop.  If it seems like it is taking a long time, that means you are getting some peace out of it.  Keep it up and don't get discouraged.  

By the way, the opposite is

june28-rage-face.jpg

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

For the last month I've been setting a timer to remind me and mid afternoon shutting my office door and meditating for 10 minutes. At first it seemed to be going well but more and more often I end up peeking and ending early. I've been just sitting (either cross legged or forward in my chair) and counting breaths to 10 up and down. 

I am wondering why you want to do this. Any specific reason?

pre-Assassin

Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose!

Twitter

I'm really trying to avoid meds though, and when I first started it felt like it was... then I just sorta lost it. I put this on my facebook too and have gotten some good suggestions there (putting on music, trying different positions, refocusing post peeking instead of beating myself up about it), so I'm starting to feel a bit more optimistic about trying again.

I don't do meds either. I just find that meditation doesn't work for everybody. Try something that chills you out. It doesn't have to be a formal version of meditation. Music is a good idea, helps me chill.

There are also little exercises you can do throughout the day instead of one session a day. I found this book quite interesting: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1572244992/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

pre-Assassin

Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose!

Twitter

I have severe anxiety disorder, and while I do have propanalol as a backup, I have found meditation to be helpful.  First thing is set the mood (if you're not already).  Dimming lights, lighting candles, music, etc.  Even clothes I'm wearing needs to be comfortable.  Music is extremely important for me.  Those cheesy, end of the isle stations with the cheap CDs?  Some of the music on there is actually gorgeous!  Sample some, see what you can find on the internet.  If you use them enough in your meditation as a relaxing tool, you can start to train your body to relax to it.  Say you're feeling stressed at work.  Listen to some of that music, and it's a mini-meditation.  :-)

Also, for now try cutting back the time to 5 minutes.  If you're in the moment and want to keep going, great.  But 10 minutes sounds like it might be overwhelming you (or at the very least boring you).

I actually learned the best way for me to meditate in a university class I took about Buddhism.  For the first few minutes of the class, the professor made us all practice mindfulness, with a few methods suggested.  What works for me is to sit and relax, deep breathing, but not counting or anything.  I let my mind wander, acknowledge thoughts that come up, and then immediately let it go past.  In my mind I imagine it sort of like going for a walk down a path in a forest - as you're walking, your eyes tend to wander and you'll see things and think about them briefly - "oooh, look at that cute bunny!" but then you look forward and continue on the path and forget about the bunny, instead of stopping to stare at and over-analyze the adorable bunny.

This kind of meditation/mindfulness helps me personally because I often get stuck on ideas or tasks to the point where I can't think of or focus on anything else.  It helps me realize that it's ok to just move on.

I hope you're able to find something to help you relax!  It's really true that it's all a bit different for everyone.

Mmm... kaik.

Twitter - flickr

I actually learned the best way for me to meditate in a university class I took about Buddhism.  For the first few minutes of the class, the professor made us all practice mindfulness, with a few methods suggested.  What works for me is to sit and relax, deep breathing, but not counting or anything.  I let my mind wander, acknowledge thoughts that come up, and then immediately let it go past.  In my mind I imagine it sort of like going for a walk down a path in a forest - as you're walking, your eyes tend to wander and you'll see things and think about them briefly - "oooh, look at that cute bunny!" but then you look forward and continue on the path and forget about the bunny, instead of stopping to stare at and over-analyze the adorable bunny.

This kind of meditation/mindfulness helps me personally because I often get stuck on ideas or tasks to the point where I can't think of or focus on anything else.  It helps me realize that it's ok to just move on.

I hope you're able to find something to help you relax!  It's really true that it's all a bit different for everyone.

I second this. What you need to realise is that your mind will wander and you will get distracted but that's ok. The whole point of practicing meditation is to learn how to do it and you're not going to be able to switch off without a lot of practice. If you find that you focus on counting your breaths then use that as your point of concentration. When your mind wanders away from it simply acknowledge that it has happened and return back to counting your breathing, Don't get annoyed or anxious that you lost concentration, it's just something that happens. Imagine that the distracting thought is like a cloud in the sky that just gently blows away and was of no consequence whatsoever. Learning to not get upset by losing your concentration is one of the first big hurdles to overcome and it will take some time for you to develop the right mindset but you will get there in the end.

Also, if you're finding that you keep checking the clock when you're attempting 10 minutes, why not start off with a timer for 5 minutes and gradually work your way up. You wouldn't try to lift a 300 lb barbell on your first visit to the gym so don't force yourself to sit down for a specific time that is longer than you can currently achieve. If you can't do 5, then try 2. There is nothing wrong with starting right at the beginning, in fact that's almost always the best place to start!

Just remember: it's not a race.