• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

zahana

Tough Mudder vs Warriror Dash in AZ 2014

So in 2014 Tough Mudder is going to be in the Phoenix area April 4th & 5th, on April 12th (aka the next weekend) is the Warrior Dash.  Both will be my last chance to do one of these types of races before my birthday.  Any recommendations for someone who has done an "adventure" race as to which one might be a better choice for a beginner?

I mean Warrior Dash is obviously the better race for a beginner as it's 5k versus 10+ miles in a Tough Mudder.  If you feel comfortable running 6+ miles continuously, then you'll be able to get through the Tough Mudder without too much trouble.  

Spartan Sprint course at least in Arizona is 4.7 miles, so it would be longer than Warrior Dash. It's also scheduled for February which sounds a little too chilly for my taste.

i havent done Mudder or Spartan, but i did do the Dash in August. Completely out of shape (i had only joined nerdfitness about 2 weeks before the race), walked the entire thing (by myself. long story but i was there alone), attempted every obstacle (ultimately skipped 2 after trying several times)... i just kept telling myself that even if it took all day, i would try everything and get to the finish line.  (It took almost 3 hours but at least i wasn't carried off the field by paramedics or anything.)

so i can say the Dash is doable for anyone, as long as they are determined to finish. It's 99% mental.  I expect the same could be said of the other two races.

I've tried both 5k and 12k races and, a word of advice, your hear rate will stay way higher during the 5k sprint, since you don't have much time to recover between obstacles.

In a 12k, you have about 500mts or 1/4 mile in between obstacles, so you have time to jog and recover.