If this is in the wrong area I apologize.

I consider myself a druid, one wishing for a spiritual/introspective fitness and health journey. I would say that I am a spiritual person and enjoy the concepts one thinks of in the Druid's guild... I just suck at practicing them. Right now I am working towards eating clean/paleo. I love the idea of it, the freedom I perceive it to have. My problem: I don't practice it. I eat processed food every day, if only for the regulation of calories. I also enjoy eating junk, even though I know it is not good for me. Case in point: went in to the cafeteria for a salad and walked out with a burger and fries.

To my more esteemed friends of the Druidic (or other) persuasion: how do I fight this junk food addiction??

-MJ

It's has to come from a place inside that says, "I'm going to change this", or it's not going to stick.  Do you respond better to the stick or the carrot?  Find out how to reward yourself for not eating crap and keep a log/calender/journal on how you do.  Keep it for 1 month and then re-assess how you're doing.  Get someone to be accountable to who will tell you what you need to hear.  You will feel so much better when you do this for yourself.

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

This is a toughie! I'm definitely fighting the same battle myself, though I think I've gotten over some significant humps. 

After extensive Googling (there are some great articles out there on what junk food does to brain chemistry) I learned that the best way to tackle a "junk-food addiction" is to drop the quote marks. It is an addiction. Luckily, it's not as severe as heroin or tobacco or alcohol.

The way I kicked it: Hardcore dieting. For me, baby steps don't change my mindset. To really kick myself into a healthy mode, I need to follow strict rules for some amount of time. Try finding a healthy plan (not a crash diet or any of that starvation business) that outlines specific meals for you for a few days. Stick to it. Stick right to it. Tell yourself to do it for a week, maybe even just a few days, and after X days, you can eat whatever you want for a whole day. I found that after 6 days of being strictly Paleo (and also cutting out fruit, for sugar) I could drive right by McDonald's and not even think about how great it would be to pull in and get a Big Mac. Typically, if I plan on making a big lifestyle change, I'll do a lead-in diet like this to shift gears. Not eating cheeseburgers any more doesn't seem so bad when I'm just happy to have strawberries again.

• Like 1

LV 0 | HOMO SAPIEN

ADVENTURER

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

IT BEGINS LOG

---

THERE ARE MORE THINGS IN HEAVEN AND EARTH, HORATIO, THAN ARE DREAMT OF IN OUR PHILOSOPHY.

I have used visualizations to stop myself from making poor food choices. I used to drink a bottle of coke each day at work. I researched what sugar does to your body, and soda is basically sugar water. (Youtube video The Bitter Truth explains the body's response to sugar and sweetners) It is like drinking fat. So I started to visualize the soda or whatever sugary drink as fat, liquid fat, like the stuff from the movie Fight Club that they used to make the soap. Really disgusting!! Whenever I see a bottle I see it as fat. When I see someone else drinking it, I see it as fat and I am not tempted at all!

I am a very visual person so I use visuals for a number of things. I have a before photo as my wallpaper on my phone to remind me to make good choices. I see chocolate bars as road blocks to my success and visualize myself stubbing my toe on it. Strange maybe but effective.

You can use this technique in a very personal way, whatever works for you to make you stop and think about your food choices.

• Like 2

I try to pack my own lunches as often as I can, and attempt (you see a lot of words about intent here, rather than success, alas!) to cook mindfully, paying attention to each ingredient.

So I always add a big handful of something leafy and green, and try to visualize that fiber and goodness. It also helps make cooking less of a chore. That said, I can't make it work on dishes yet. Still hate doin' them. 

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

Hi there!

This is something I think most people struggle with...a lot of it has to do with the type of food you are eating. You mentioned going into the cafeteria for a salad and ending up with a burger and fries.... huge difference in the composition of said foods. I would definitely recommend cooking & bringing your own food with you if possible.  It is easier to make sure you include the right amount of protein and healthy fats. I eat wraps every workday for lunch. I started to realize I was burning out on them so I recently added avocado.  This made a huge difference in how full/satisfied I am with the wrap option.

Whether or not you go hardcore is really going to depend on the type of person you are. I personally prefer to ease into new diet changes...My first inclination is to jump in, but then I burn out in about 1-2 weeks.  My motto is progress not perfection.  Just keep moving in the direction you want to go.  Even if it is slow progress you will eventually get to where you want to be.  Life is about balance. Don't beat yourself up if you have a bad meal or a bad day. Figure out what happened, learn from it, and move on.  Good luck with your quest!

I have used visualizations to stop myself from making poor food choices. I used to drink a bottle of coke each day at work. I researched what sugar does to your body, and soda is basically sugar water. (Youtube video The Bitter Truth explains the body's response to sugar and sweetners) It is like drinking fat. So I started to visualize the soda or whatever sugary drink as fat, liquid fat, like the stuff from the movie Fight Club that they used to make the soap. Really disgusting!! Whenever I see a bottle I see it as fat. When I see someone else drinking it, I see it as fat and I am not tempted at all!

I am a very visual person so I use visuals for a number of things. I have a before photo as my wallpaper on my phone to remind me to make good choices. I see chocolate bars as road blocks to my success and visualize myself stubbing my toe on it. Strange maybe but effective.

You can use this technique in a very personal way, whatever works for you to make you stop and think about your food choices.

I love this!! I will definitely try it :3

Airbending Druid~

------o| Current Challenge |o------

Previous challenges: 1 2 3 4