Rooks - Tracking the Daily Grind...

Great story in the news about your daughter.  Congrats to her!  

It's good to see you excited for the mill.  I'm sure that will keep you busy on projects.  

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

On 6/14/2022 at 7:40 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That mill just screams "I will outlive you, and your grandchildren will use me to make things for their grandchildren."

Indeed. Super old machining tools like this are just so cool because fundamentally, the design hasn't changed in that long. You might have computers controlling things now (a CNC machine), but it's still the same things a mill can do, just faster. Super fun to think about. 

On 6/14/2022 at 9:14 AM, Shello said:

Great story in the news about your daughter.  Congrats to her!  

It's good to see you excited for the mill.  I'm sure that will keep you busy on projects.  

Indeed. Not that I didn't have enough projects already! :lol:

On 6/14/2022 at 12:00 PM, Elastigirl said:

Congrats to your daughter!

Thanks! Less than a week to go. We are getting pretty pumped. 

Week of June 13th:

• 5/7 days without alcohol. 
  • 4/7 days with a cold showers. 
  • 4/7 days with home projects progression. 
  • 3/7 days with fitness. 
  • 3/7 days with reading.

So let's see. As far as goals go, the week itself was pretty poor. I got way too wrapped in some work projects, but it at least ended with a solid day on Thursday before our long weekend. So that was nice to end on a high note. And I was able to save some of my goals for the week with the long weekend. Got in 3 workouts and 3 sessions of work in the shop. I really need to stop doing that and just figure out some way to be able to break away from work during the week to get in a quick cardio sessions or something with the weights. 

Reading wise, right now I'm working on Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker. I'm about 80 pages in so far, and honestly, I have some pretty serious doubts about the validity of it. So far, his implication comes across as that if you've ever not had a full night of sleep, you are basically just doomed to a horrendous death from disease. Perhaps my opinion will change the further I get, but that's just where I'm at so far. I agree sleep is important, but making claims that we as humans must ALWAYS get a full night of sleep or we'll just never be able to catch up seems outlandish. Hell, any parent loses mass quantities of sleep caring for children for months if not years. So yeah... we'll see how it the rest of the read goes. 

Otherwise, not much else to report. Heading out for my daughter's big event this weekend in a LA, so that'll be fun. Fingers crossed she doesn't get too stressed out about it. I hope she can just enjoy it for what it is, even if she doesn't place in the top 3. 

• Like 3

Meant to share this with the original post, but forgot. Been awhile since I shared any videos so figured what the heck. From yesterday's workout. Did a giant set of 2 tire flips into 3 deadlifts at 315 into 20 seconds of plank for 8 rounds. Then did some accessory work. Outside was like 95 but in the shade of the garage I think it was only 85 so not too bad. Video I think was round 3 or 4.

• Like 4

Week of June 20th:

• 5/7 days without alcohol. 
  • 5/7 days with a cold showers. 
  • 3/7 days with home projects progression. 
  • 3/7 days with fitness. 
  • 7/7 days with reading.

So let's see... what happened last week. 

Fitness wise, I got in 2 cardio sessions and a bench workout. 

For home projects, I finished up a cool little project for our deck, a drink rail that fits between two deck chairs we have. It's made out of cedar, and it was first try at finger joints (sometimes called box joints). I then gave them a round over and I think it looks pretty good. Definitely wasn't perfect, but very happy for a first try.

20220623_095109.jpg.ddbbf492292422cea0f6f9e80f93e0d0.jpg.    20220623_100010.jpg.4fa1d458ec1f1d8ccc69d306909159f5.jpg

Other than that, last weekend was the Braille Challenge for my daughter. She ended up not placing in the top 3. She was pretty upset about it, but given pretty much all of her competition were completely blind children, I'm still impressed she even made it in the top 10. Besides the actual competition it was a good time. Pool and pizza party in LA, and then on Sunday we took a trip down the ocean for a swim there. Overall, an exhausting trip (got home at 11:30pm on Sunday night and had to be up by 5:45am on Monday for school again), but fun. 

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 4
5 hours ago, Waldo said:

Wow that's awesome.  Did you use a router jig?  Pretty impressive you managed to get through a knot without the finger breaking.  That's a great design.

To cut the finger joints, I used a jig on the table saw with a dado stack. The rounded effect was done on the bandsaw. 

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That drink rig between the seats make it look like one integrated unit, all connected together. Really well done.

Thanks, Tank! I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked it as well.

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Super pretty, and functional!

Indeed, although sadly I haven't used it yet. Too much going on with life and work. Haven't got a chance to get out there and test its holding capacity. :lol:

• Like 3

Week of June 27th:

• 1/7 days without alcohol. 
  • 4/7 days with a cold showers. 
  • 3/7 days with home projects progression. 
  • 0/7 days with fitness. 
  • 3/7 days with reading.

Well... things took a massive shift into Lazy Man Town this past week. I don't know if it was the travel or what, but I was able to muster absolutely no motivation besides struggling my way through my job, and then I kept going back to beer and whisky at night. I hate that I like drinking so much. Its even more funny because the book I'm reading right now is called "Why We Sleep" and it's got a whole chapter about how much alcohol screws with your sleep patterns which impacts about 50 different things. I know I've said it before, but I can't help but feel like alcohol is literally my measuring stick. If I'm not drinking, I'm super productive and just a better human. I start drinking, and everything grinds to a fucking halt. Makes me glad I didn't really start drinking on a regular occurence until my late 20s.  

I have felt exceptional busy lately too. It's pretty much all my own fault, but doesn't make it less true. Between my normal job, and the part-time gig at the homeless shelter, my mother-in-law is now asking if I'll do some work around her place for some cash. Additionally, I've agreed to 3  "extra-curricular activities" for work which have literally just been sitting idle for 2 months now and people are starting to ask questions. I know the way forward is to just buckle down and get some shit done, but like I said, lately, I'm struggling to care. I mean the extra money is super nice, but it just means more of what I claim I want to do (working out, building stuff) gets pushed out of the day-to-day. Oh well... 

And then next week, we go on a 2 week vacation to northern California. It'll be fun, but part of me feels like I'll just be annoyed I didn't get shit done before I left. Well, I suppose I still got most of a week to square things away, and actually enjoy my vacation. Just got to get it done. Here's hoping... one day at a time and all that other cliche bullshit. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Week of July 4th:

1/7 days without alcohol. 

6/7 days with a cold showers. 

4/7 days with home projects progression. 

2/7 days with fitness. 

2/7 days with reading.

Bit of an improvement on last week's debacle, but still reached for the booze too much this past week. It really is beginning to feel a bit like addiction, as I find myself really asking myself why I'm even drinking sometimes. But when I get on a roll without it, I don't crave it. 

Overall, the week felt packed. Partly pre-vacation work (house cleaning, organizing, and packing) and partly because I've been taking a lot more odd jobs lately from mother-in-law to try and earn some extra cash. It's working but definitely feels like it's taking its toll on my free time. The 2 workouts I got in were 20 minute KB swing workouts. 

But, now vacation is here so here's hoping I can get some relaxation. Heading to northern California to hit up Lassen Volcanic, Crater Lake, and the Redwoods. Should be plenty of hiking and beautiful views. 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Rooks said:

But, now vacation is here so here's hoping I can get some relaxation. Heading to northern California to hit up Lassen Volcanic, Crater Lake, and the Redwoods. Should be plenty of hiking and beautiful views. 

I really enjoyed my visit to Crater Lake a few years ago. I spent the entire time on the patio overlooking the lake, with a book and a glass of wine. :) 

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

Week of July 11th:

• 1/7 days without alcohol. 
  • 5/7 days with a cold showers. 
  • 0/7 days with home projects progression. 
  • 5/7 days with fitness. 
  • 5/7 days with reading.

Week of July 18th:

• 3/7 days without alcohol. 
  • 6/7 days with a cold showers. 
  • 4/7 days with home projects progression. 
  • 2/7 days with fitness. 
  • 4/7 days with reading.

So overall, I left for vacation on Tuesday the 12th, and got back on Wednesday the 20th. I ended deciding it wasn't worth giving a shit about alcohol consumption on the trip hence why both of those are pretty low, but it wasn't really a bad thing since we weren't really loading up a beer with all the driving around we were doing. It was usually 2 beers which I know isn't great to average, but not something I'm going to stress about.

The trip had it's ups and downs. More ups than downs, but after our first hike of the trip (which was about a 3 mile hike), kiddo was super grumpy and basically talking about how she didn't want to do any more hikes the rest of the trip. She then proceeded to eat 2 carrots in her lunch and hurl in some nearby bushes. Luckily, after getting her back in the AC of the car, and her sleeping the 45 minutes back to our hotel, she was in much better spirits and was able to hold food down. Perhaps a bit too much of a hike straight out the gate. 

Otherwise, it was lovely. Probably average 2.5 miles of hiking per day, mostly easy trails since that works out better with a visually impaired child, but we always end up on a few that prove quite challenging (navigating rock obstacles is usually very tough). We get through them, it just takes WAY more time than fully sighted folks would take. So yeah... 3 more National Parks checked off the list. 49 more to go. 

My wife and I did have a discussion at some point on the trip, and we both agreed we probably need to have a focus on losing weight so we agreed to support each other for the next few months. She's going to commit to Monday and Friday morning workouts, and trying to clean up the diet a bit (since she does 95% of the cooking). I just need to trim back on alcohol (like I've been trying to do) and get in a few more cardio sessions. But after reading Waldo's insights around his own journey, I'm going to try and make some commitments and stick with them over the coming weeks. So I introduce you to:

Operation Against the Dying of the Light

Been a fan of this poem for quite some time. Couldn't say exactly when I heard it, but it's a good refresher that the "night" will be here some day. So it's time to do some raging and actually commit to some shit. I'm setting Goals despite my normal lack of an ability to commit to them with the hope that this time will be different. I don't know if it will, but I've got half a year of a tracking habits to prove that's not really working besides making me understand where some of my shortcomings are. Timeline are these will be in 2022. Basically giving myself 5 months to knock these out. 

Goal #1: Drop 30 lbs. 

Weighed in at 237.4lbs this morning. I plan to do this with an aim for 3 cardio sessions a week (at least 30 minutes) and 2 strength workouts, a push day and a pull day, but really, I don't care how it happens. Much like Waldo's thoughts indicated, when I'm working out, I'm more prone to eat better, which makes me prone to sleep better, and the cycle seems to continue. So overall, I think I just need to really make sure to try and get something in most days. 

Goal #2: Complete 3 major projects.

I'm not going to lock these in quite yet, but here's what I'm thinking so far. First, I'd like restore my dad's toy. Long story short, I found one of my dad's childhood toys and I want to restore it and give it back as a gift for either his birthday or Christmas. I've had it torn apart for 5 years now. I need to get this project done. Second, I'd like to make a set of Super 123 Blocks on my mill. Not a major project in itself, but it will mean my mill is up and operational, which is a large task, and making something will be proof that it's working and I'm learning. Third, finally build the dining room table I've been talking about for 3 years. I've got plans. I just need to buy the wood and get to work.

I think that's it. I'm going to keep this simple and focused. I was going to say something about reading, but honestly, that's been going pretty well and I don't see that changing. 

• Like 4

Nice, I'm glad I was able to inspire you.

My logs read as one sided, but my wife plays a big role as well.  We both work out regularly.  She has her own journey that looks a lot like mine, delayed by about a year behind each major point.  She lost a ton just like I did, but starting in 2012, not 2011.   If there is one big difference between 2021 and 2022 for me, its the intensity of exercise.  I definitely inspired her to up her game in the gym after losing weight earlier last year.  She asked for an EZ curl bar for her birthday, which was the kick start of the latest round of gym building (that still continues unabated, lol) which is the trigger for greatly improving my strength workouts.  As much as working out has a gravity that pulls in diet eventually, it also pulls in your spouse.  My journey has very much been a team effort with her (even though we don't actually work out together at all).

My brother has been doing the see all the national parks bucket list task for years now.  We're headed to great smoky mountains with him this fall; its been a long time since I've done any hiking.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

On 7/25/2022 at 9:39 PM, Rooks said:

Basically giving myself 5 months to knock these out. 

Great goals!   I hope this helps focus your energy.  

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2