Really well done article, Waldo! I enjoyed it very much!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I've been on a business trip the last couple days; the hotel I was staying at had a gym with several different weight machines. No barbells though (or pullup bar....).

But I wanted to see how my BW strength transferred, if at all.

I went in cold, did a few ramp up reps at lighter weights, then tested the whole stack (no real waiting between ramp up reps and test though)

4 of the machines (chest press, lat pulldown, leg extension, leg curl) maxed out at 295 lbs, I could lift the whole stack. The leg press maxed at 395, whole stack was no problem. Preacher curl machine maxed out at 200, I could curl the whole stack.

Still want to test with barbells some day. Really curious to see what I could deadlift. But bodyweight strength definitely transfers to machines no problem.

• Like 3

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I've been on a business trip the last couple days; the hotel I was staying at had a gym with several different weight machines. No barbells though (or pullup bar....).

But I wanted to see how my BW strength transferred, if at all.

I went in cold, did a few ramp up reps at lighter weights, then tested the whole stack (no real waiting between ramp up reps and test though)

4 of the machines (chest press, lat pulldown, leg extension, leg curl) maxed out at 295 lbs, I could lift the whole stack. The leg press maxed at 395, whole stack was no problem. Preacher curl machine maxed out at 200, I could curl the whole stack.

Still want to test with barbells some day. Really curious to see what I could deadlift. But bodyweight strength definitely transfers to machines no problem.

great test idea...and results

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

So, I meant to update this with a woot I've been working on for a long time.

waldo56

has logged in for 500 days in a row!

Like · Comment · 6 days ago

500 days straight logging on MFP (actually at 505 today)

Next stop: 1000 (should get there winter of 2016).

The wife and I both have the exact same streak going.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Interesting bit of sciency stuff I stumbled across.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gluten-sensitivity-and-study-replication-2014-5#ixzz31soTSzh7

I don't want to post it in the nutrition forum simply because it will piss off too many people. Gluten sensitivity is not a thing, its all in your mind.

• Like 1

currently cutting

don't panic!

I vote post it in the nutritional forums. People need to learn.

Although i might try to find something better than a business insider article.

This message was generated by a room full of monkeys typing randomly--as you can see, they are far from producing Shakespeare.

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

I vote post it in the nutritional forums. People need to learn.

Although i might try to find something better than a business insider article.

This message was generated by a room full of monkeys typing randomly--as you can see, they are far from producing Shakespeare.

Well it does link to the actual study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23648697

currently cutting

don't panic!

I just read it, albeit quickly, but the takehome I got is that the proteins, either gluten or whey cause no detectable problems. But, when patients perceive problems with gluten or whey containing foods, culprit might actually be the FODMAPs... according to this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24076059

I think the paleo crowd would argue this as more evidence that grains, legumes, and dairy should be avoided.

Its the people who just blame gluten specifically for their problems that might be pissed.

I also find this as encouragement to get back on whey when I can afford the good stuff.

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

I just read it, albeit quickly, but the takehome I got is that the proteins, either gluten or whey cause no detectable problems. But, when patients perceive problems with gluten or whey containing foods, culprit might actually be the FODMAPs... according to this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24076059

I think the paleo crowd would argue this as more evidence that grains, legumes, and dairy should be avoided.

Its the people who just blame gluten specifically for their problems that might be pissed.

I also find this as encouragement to get back on whey when I can afford the good stuff.

But there is heavy crossover with Paleo Approvedâ„¢ foods as well

http://www.ibsgroup.org/brochures/fodmap-intolerances.pdf

currently cutting

don't panic!

Been meaning to update this:

PP201lbs_zps9b2108ff.jpg

Believe it or not, I'm exactly the same weight in each photo (201 lbs). That is every time I've passed 201; the date and the approximate body fat % I am in each photo is listed.

I feel like there is no way you were 20% in photo 4 and 5.  You just look too shredded.  :)  I don't see much of a different between 4-30-2013 and 4-27-2014. 

Interesting bit of sciency stuff I stumbled across.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gluten-sensitivity-and-study-replication-2014-5#ixzz31soTSzh7

I don't want to post it in the nutrition forum simply because it will piss off too many people. Gluten sensitivity is not a thing, its all in your mind.

Good to bit of info as well.  I'm going to read through it full bit later today. 

I feel like there is no way you were 20% in photo 4 and 5.  You just look too shredded.  :)  I don't see much of a different between 4-30-2013 and 4-27-2014.

Sad but true. Seems hard to believe, but my waist is 4.5" smaller in 2014 than 2013. 4.5" smaller = ~18 lbs of fat lost, replaced by ~18 lbs of muscle. @ 201 lbs 18 lbs of fat loss and muscle gain = ~9.8% body fat.

This is the torture of the teens. An seemingly infinite well of weight loss where the scale goes down, tape measurements go down, and you look more or less exactly the same.

I'm right on the fringe of it now. My cut that ended late summer last year and the two cuts since have both touched into the area where a little fat makes a big difference. Quite literally the last half an inch of that 4.5" has twice as much visual impact as the 4" before it.

Also why its said that most people dramatically underestimate their body fat. Even if you aren't trying to. The teens visual plateau is big time underestimated.

currently cutting

don't panic!

I'd say there is clearly more muscle mass between april 2013 and april 2014

Funny thing is that my measurements are almost universally across the board smaller in 2014 than 2013.

The size gain from muscle gain was not enough to overcome the size loss from fat loss. Only a few areas show actual size increases.

Chest - About 2.5" bigger now

Just above the knee - About 0.5" bigger now

Forearms - About 0.25" bigger now

Neck - About 0.25" bigger now

(notably all the areas that carry very little body fat)

Thighs, calves, and upper arms are about the same.

Its interesting the way my leg shape has changed, the thighs are becoming more and more constant from top to bottom. The middle of my quads have barely grown these last two bulks (whereas my first 3 it was constantly growing); I bet if I were to measure 1/3rd of the way up (I don't), there would be very strong growth these last 2; the 1/3rd of thigh just above my knee seems to be thickening a lot. A lot of classic bodybuilders also have that shape (Steve Reeves for example, see pic below). It is just naturally happening.

steve-reeves.jpg

currently cutting

don't panic!

Funny thing is that my measurements are almost universally across the board smaller in 2014 than 2013.

The size gain from muscle gain was not enough to overcome the size loss from fat loss. Only a few areas show actual size increases.

Chest - About 2.5" bigger now

Just above the knee - About 0.5" bigger now

Forearms - About 0.25" bigger now

Neck - About 0.25" bigger now

Your chest is actually what stuck out to me as the increased mass. It is definitely noticeable

They told me I could be anything when I grow up, so I became a superhero.

Handbook for Applied Superheroics:

Ch 1 | Ch 2 | Ch 3 | Ch 4

Well the madness level has gone to 11.

- Bulk is going good. Things were a little crazy there with weight gain, but all is well now.

- Wife's metabolism raising reverse diet couldn't be going any better. Currently seeing a recomp effect as the scale is frozen, yet the cals keep going up.

- I'm not ignoring my site, quite the contrary. I've got a crazy epic post in the works that I'm really putting my all into, this one is 5x the work of a standard post.

- I'm also still working on my ebook here and there, though finishing the aforementioned post is top priority site-wise.

- Wife and I have been working diligently to have another little one. IUI #4 this year in a couple days. First little one came on the first IUI, not as much luck this time around.

- Finished up all the little things around the house. Talked to a real estate agent, going to be listing in the next week or two (want to be on the market for memorial day weekend). Preapproved for a new mortgage today. Market here has been nuts, houses barely last a couple hours on the market. Moving up to Laura's neck of the woods (if she's still up there, looking in the Chamblee-Dunwoody area (in Decatur now)). Preapproved for an absolutely terrifying amount of money, its almost surreal. Crazy what low interest rates can do for you. With the way the market is, once our house sells (we've already got a few interested people just on the rumor ours will be for sale, they want in to our hood), we're going to have to turn around and quickly get a new place for ourselves. With houses flashing on and off the market like they are, we're going to have to decide and move on an offer in a matter of hours. Fortunately the money range we are looking in, it pretty much comes down to a choice between which house is the awesomeist.

- On top of that I've got a bunch of hot projects at work.

For all the madness, I'm actually surprisingly not stressed. Excited, but not stressed out.

• Like 3

currently cutting

don't panic!

Waldo, sorry if you addressed this elsewhere, but I seem to remember that you were going to try creatine during your bulk last fall.  Did you follow through and do you have any opinions?  Thanks

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
--Douglas Adams

- I'm not ignoring my site, quite the contrary. I've got a crazy epic post in the works that I'm really putting my all into, this one is 5x the work of a standard post.

And I'm finally done with it.

Bulking-Beginners-Guide-sm.jpg

Bulking - A Complete Guide for Beginners

It is heavily cited and researched, which took a long time.  And its an extremely long article.  But I feel the quality is top notch, pretty much covers everything you need to know for your first bulk.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Waldo, sorry if you addressed this elsewhere, but I seem to remember that you were going to try creatine during your bulk last fall.  Did you follow through and do you have any opinions?  Thanks

Yeah, I'm still using it.  It seems to help my workouts a smidge, about the only benefit I see from it.  If it wasn't dirt cheap and pretty convienient for me, I'd probably stop using it.

currently cutting

don't panic!

The bulking article is fantastic, Waldo.  I'm not ready for a bulk quite yet, but when I am I'll be following that article to a "T" - I've already incorporated some of your other advice about cutting/weight loss, and it's been working like a charm.  Thanks so much!

Forgot to mention that I'm pretty pumped about this new season of American Ninja Warrior.

The guy that finished 3rd in the Venice qualifying pretty much has my goal physique; 6'1" 205, ~8% BF (forget his name, one of the two with the Beast nickname). Usually all the people that do good on there are skinny little guys or skinny medium guys (5'10", 160ish seems to be about ideal). Nice to see a bigger built dude do well, gives me hope that one day I could actually compete.

currently cutting

don't panic!