Bulking question

Jarach

Iv'e lost alot of weight recently (about 7lbs. in almost a month) without really trying and I'm trying to gain it back. I'm hitting the gym 3 times a week and trying to increase my caloric intake as well.

The only problem is that sometimes (more than usual) I won't hit the amount of calories to gain weight by the end of the night. For example, some nights I get home late about 7pm with a 1500 calorie deficit. I'm working on packing in more calories throughout the day, but I hate to try to cram the needed calories before I go to bed after I've eaten dinner 3 hours before.

Should I just forget about the late night food, or keep up the eating?

Level 0 Adventurer

|STR: 0|  |DEX: 0|  |STA: 0|  |CON: 0|  |WIS: 0|  |CHA: 0|

Current Challenge, Like Pokemans?

Last Checked Weight: 131.8 lb

Iv'e lost alot of weight recently (about 7lbs. in almost a month) without really trying and I'm trying to gain it back. I'm hitting the gym 3 times a week and trying to increase my caloric intake as well.

The only problem is that sometimes (more than usual) I won't hit the amount of calories to gain weight by the end of the night. For example, some nights I get home late about 7pm with a 1500 calorie deficit. I'm working on packing in more calories throughout the day, but I hate to try to cram the needed calories before I go to bed after I've eaten dinner 3 hours before.

Should I just forget about the late night food, or keep up the eating?

What's your nutrition like the rest of the day? What's your carb intake? I wouldn't eat right before going to bed, but I also believe the time of day you eat doesn't matter either, as long as your eating the proper foods. I work steady nights, so the bulk of my meals are from 23:00-14:00. I've known bodybuilders and strength athletes get up in the middle of the night just to eat.

If you're looking for gains, I would eat every 2-2h30, 3h max. Increase protein (if you haven't already). A Couple of scoops of peanut butter and nuts can be a high calorie snack, with protein and some of your "good fats" Also, look at fruits and veggies with higher calorie counts.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

If you are open to dairy, a gallon of whole milk is 2400 calories.  So half a gallon a day + dinner would make up your deficit.  I had the same problem as you do, and that has really been the only way I've been able to consistently get my calories in on my bulk (up about 22lbs so far this year).  Also, a tbsp of olive oil is 120 calories, pretty easy to add it to your veggies or just down a spoonful here and there.  And as mentioned, nuts are a good high calorie snack.  Lots of ways you can sneak in extra calories.

That's a lot to make up for at the end of the night and if you try to eat a lot, it might keep you up for a while. I like a cup of cottage cheese to end the night. It's slow release so it doesn't give you an energy boost to keep you up and it's over 200 calories of protein and fat. Maybe you could even handle 2 cups, but that can be a lot. The rest though, you really need to get during the day somehow.

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."