Nigel's New Nerdiness

Nigel

I looked at a number of the posts here and can tell I'm one of the oldest. I'm 60, and a long way toward 61. I am a nerd of a unique kind I'm sure - a retired librarian, gay, knitter, swimmer, travelller. I swim with a gay master's swim team in the beautiful city of Vancouver and travel in the winter for three or four months with my husband - we've been together for 32 years, and finally married in 2005.

There's lots more I could talk about but right now is goal time. My weight has slowly crept up over the last few years and it's tough getting it to drop downwards because of medications I take for depression. However, i recently discovered the Primal way, following the great information provided by Mark Sissons and I recently found this group and I'm ready to go.

Stats: Height - 5' 7", weight: 225 lbs, pant size: 36 in.

Goals:

Fitness:

1: Walk long distance (8 - 12 kilometers), at least twice per week.

2: Walk and do body strength exercises three times per week.

3. Complete at least one pull up by the end of the challenge.

4: Swim with my team on Sundays through the end of the summer. (Our week day swims ended yesterday.)

Diet:

1: Maintain a primal diet of protein and vegetables - 5 days a week. (I like to cheat on weekends).

2: Drink 4 - 5 glasses of water per day.

Life:

1: Complete and submit a pattern for a knitted sock I have designed to Knitty.com (a free online knitting magazine), by August 15).

2: Reestablish my knitting blog, and publish at least one article per week beginning Monday, July 25.

3: Complete and publish a pattern for sale on my knitting blog by August 30.

4: Design and knit a pair of kilt hose for myself to wear with the kilt I will be ordering this weekend.

Welcome to the Rebellion, Nigel! Glad to have you.

Good luck with your goals. What sort of strength exercises are you thinking of? I know I'm limited mostly to bodyweight exercises and whatever I can do with what I have around the house which often turns out to be a surprising amount.

Level 1: April 30-June 11

Run a 7 Minute mile Shattered 6:15

Run 3 7 Minute Miles

Do 5 pull-ups

Climb some shit?

Survive Zombie apocalypse

Get a job

[table]

STRDEXSTAWIS[/td]CHAWIS

[/table]

Yesterday's workout: Four km walk with body exercises: Squats at park bench, inclined push ups at bench, dips at bench, forward lunges, backward lunges, stair climbs, step ups on seawall, jump ups on low wall, balancing on logs, hanging from pull-up bar. Mostly three sets while walking along sea wall. Beautiful afternoon for it too.

Today I walked with the Frontrunners walking group - which meets every Saturday morning in Stanley Park. Tomorrow it's an hour swim at the outdoor pool in Stanley Park too - with my swim club.

Didn't get to swim today because I screwed up on the schedule so instead continue my walk in the park. Did about an hour of walking in all - walking in Stanley Park on a beautiful day is so wonderful and today we heard the sound of a woodpecker really drumming on a tree. As well we saw some turtles slumming on a rock in Lost Lagoon, and a Great Blue Heron walking carefully right next to them. Certainly having the opportunity to exercise amidst such beauty helps make the challenge that much easier. We'll see how I feel about that if it rains some time during the challenge, lol.

Today I got out there. I have registered for the 4 km walk during the Pride Run and Walk here in Vancouver (in conjunction with the Outgames) so thought I'd better get some practice in - the race is on Saturday morning after all. So I started out from home and did a little workout on the seawall - a couple of squat sets, a dip set and a couple of incline pushup sets. Then I set off racewalk style to see how far I could make it before my legs gave out (lol). I did most of the walk in Stanley Park under the shade of the trees because it was pretty hot in the sun. I walked at speed for a total of 30 mintues - managed to enjoy four different trails in that time. I was very pleased with the experience - I now know that I will be able to complete the 4 km walk. I won't get a medal though because I didn't register for the outgames and only officially registered participants qualify for medals in this event. Oh well!

I plan to do a longer walk at fast walking pace tomorrow, and another racewalk on Wednesday. Then I'll need to layoff so that my legs are recovered for the actual race on Saturday morning. Looking forward to it.

I was a pound heavier this morning than last week - I'd call it muscle if I didn't know better.

Don't worry too much about the pound heavier.

If you weigh in every day, you'll find that the scale fluctuates a bit (around 3-4lbs actually). There are lots of factors at play here - water retention, time of last meal, bowel movements.... etc..

What is important is the general trend.

Using excel (or any other spreadsheet app), you can easily add a "moving average" trendline to your data and see where you are going.

::zielperson::

Thanks for that. I do just want the scale to go down - maybe if I gave up my weekend beer,? Lol.

I do hope that you are getting towards your goals on the challenge too. Thanks for commenting on mine.

Nigel

Don't worry too much about the pound heavier.

If you weigh in every day, you'll find that the scale fluctuates a bit (around 3-4lbs actually). There are lots of factors at play here - water retention, time of last meal, bowel movements.... etc..

What is important is the general trend.

Using excel (or any other spreadsheet app), you can easily add a "moving average" trendline to your data and see where you are going.

::zielperson::

Today's workout - a fast walk along the seawall beginning at 12:10 pm. One hour, 8200 steps - 6 km, 9 minutes per km - (there are kilometer markers along the seawall so one can use them to time. I'm planning to go about 7.5 minutes per km during the walking race on Saturday morning.

Today was a body weight workout day. Walked along the seawall - did squats, pushups, dips, pull up under a park table (lol), climbed some stairs, step ups, hang downs (as opposed to pull ups - the kid next to me doing "skin the cat" shaming me, but I just don't have the arms to get myself anywhere near the bar).

On Pride Weekend, I raced in the 4 km walk section of the Pride Run and Walk. I have competed in this race three times, and each time came in first because I use the racewalk style and go as fast as I can. This year I was outclassed by three others. The winner is a racewalker from Seattle, second was a local woman (Vancouver, BC) and third was a man from Boston who actually ran parts of the "walk". I arrived fourth in 32 minutes (an 8 minute km) but still received a prize because I was third in the men's division. I led the race for the first three kilometers or more, and the people who passed me all thanked me for setting the pace! Good for me, lol. The race was also part of the North American Outgames so those who were registered and did well (10 year age groupings) got medals. I had registered but cancelled because my first sport choice, swimming, was cancelled, so I didn't get the medal I am sure I would have received. But then again, I saved 35 dollars! (The race cost was 40 dollars for non Outgames participants). I was in fact quite pleased with my performance, not withstanding being passed by three others.) Especially since my only training was the body weight workouts I've been doing for the past three weeks and the one day I walked 30 minutes in racewalk form. Next year, I'll train more.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines