LADIES! Can you do a pull-up?

spezzy

I'm embarrassed to say that I cannot do a single pull-up. Never have been able to either, not even in high school gym class when I could barely hang. And I think it's one of those things that everyone who's healthy should be able to do at least one of. I see it as one of those 'this could save your life' skills. 

Part of my problem, I think anyway, is that while at the gym, I'm self conscious about attempting it and looking like an idiot. I'm so short that I have to jump, even with a step available, just to reach the damn bar. And I've always figured that if I have to jump at all, that's cheating. Yet I see people all the time (mostly men, although I did watch a lady do several!) just jumping up and cranking out at least half a dozen pull-ups. They all make it seem so easy!

I've done assisted pull-ups, both on the machine and with an elastic band (that's fun!), but not a regular one. It's one of my goals for this year though!

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

I don't remember having been able to do a pullup before either and I don't think that not being able to do one yet is something to be ashamed of. Pullups are not an easy things to do, especially in good form. With the right training, you will get there for sure but until then don't be too hard on yourself. I know plenty of healthy people that couldn't do a pullup to save their life either :D

Jumping is not cheating in my mind. Probably because I also have to jump to reach any pullups bars. It may even make things harder because you have less control in your grip. As long as you don't use the momentum of the jump (No kipping!) and you start your pullup in a nice and steady deadhang, you're good to go. :)

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

I was up to eight by the end of last year - then I went on holiday and stopped practicing - I'm down to four or five max!  :( At least I haven't lost the skill altogether. 

Level 4 Halfling Ranger

"I see the girl running, with no shoes on her feet, jumping shade to shadow, in this deafening heat." - Passenger 

Oh Suguru!  I know how you feel!   I got up to 5 total at the end of the last challenge in 2013.   Then bad habits, slacking and injury, I am at the 3-4 max again.  Arg!

Level 75.5 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Oh Suguru!  I know how you feel!   I got up to 5 total at the end of the last challenge in 2013.   Then bad habits, slacking and injury, I am at the 3-4 max again.  Arg!

Yep. I got up to 7 at one point, but now I'm back to 3-4 from holiday laziness, and there are NO NORMAL PULL-UP bars at our gym. They've all got funky angles and the lowest one I have to stand on my toes to reach (in the squat rack, where if I'm not squatting I'm panting).

I did take a video! I just have to actually...upload it.

I thought to include getting to 1 pull up for my first challenge, but then thought it wouldn't happen. Maybe for my next challenge though. 

I was wondering, for you ladies who can do pull-ups, and if you wouldn't mind sharing, how much do you weigh and how long did it take you to do your first pull-up?

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

Had to check my old threads to find out. So, at that time I was about 53kg for 159cm. (aka skinny fat)

It took me 3 weeks to level up from wall pushups to my first standard pushups and 6 more weeks to be able to do one pullup. But I started climbing too meanwhile, so I trained for pullups without noticing.

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

My weight is stable at 53 kg. Height is 165cm. It took me eight weeks of training every second day ( I used a progression that involved dumbbell rows, then Australian pull-ups, then negative pull-ups and flex hangs) before I achieved my first pull-up. After that I progressed quickly - adding one a week until I plateaued at eight. 

Level 4 Halfling Ranger

"I see the girl running, with no shoes on her feet, jumping shade to shadow, in this deafening heat." - Passenger 

Does anyone on here (who can do a pull-up) weigh >150 lbs? Do you lift, or....what is your exercise routine? And if you do lift, what are your numbers?

Been doing assisted pull-ups and chin-ups for a couple months now using the machine. All this shows me that I'm gonna have to work even harder than I thought to get one. C'est la vie. Now I will start working on doing negatives on the regular bar.

I started my pull up attempts last summer at 150 lbs.

I invested in resistance bands.  The assisted machine, to me, does not at all mimic the way your body has to move and work when unassisted, so it wasn't a good choice for me.

I did holds and negatives.  Lots of them.

I worked with the assistance bands and would do as many as I could.  When I graduated to a lighter band, I would do as many as I could with the least assistance, then at failure, grab the more assistance band and eek out a few more.   When I was able to do unassisted, I would do as many as I could to failure, then immediately hop into the band and do as many more assisted until second failure.

I went from no pulls up on July 4th, to five sloppy form ones by Sept.   Then retrained better form, and got up to 5 pretty looking ones by Dec.   Then I slacked off... and am back to like 3-4 for my rep count, but plan on getting back to work on them.

• Like 1

Level 75.5 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Ditto to Starpuck!  I am very close to 150 (145) and I don't like the machine trainer either.  Assistance bands and negatives are the way to go.  I also started doing heavy kroc rows to help build up my lats.  I started with the bands ~6 weeks ago and I'm getting very close to my first unassisted, dead-hang pullup.  I tried one unassisted last week and was literally, 2 inches shy of hitting my mark.  I'm determined to get one during this next challenge.

Human Warrior

Non nobis, Domine. Sed nomine tuo da gloriam.

Warrior: Battle Log | Old Battle Log | #1, #2, #3, #4

First Warrior/Ranger Battle Log

Last week in the gym I saw a guy do 6 muscle-ups in a row. It got me back to my original inspiration of wanting to do one!

I have been +/- 130 lbs while training for pull-ups; I did inverted rows under a table for a couple months, though, before I had an opportunity to test myself on a pull-up bar. Once I got on a bar, I would say it took me about a month to add one pull-up to my total per set.

Does anyone on here (who can do a pull-up) weigh >150 lbs? Do you lift, or....what is your exercise routine? And if you do lift, what are your numbers?

Been doing assisted pull-ups and chin-ups for a couple months now using the machine. All this shows me that I'm gonna have to work even harder than I thought to get one. C'est la vie. Now I will start working on doing negatives on the regular bar.

i'm pushing 170 at this point.

and I can bang out 5+ (see video)

:)  it can be done. 

I've never been able to do a pull up in my life, and i want to, so very badly. I just started incorporating negatives into my work out, since when i was doing rows it didn't seem to help at all, so we will see.

Amandolin
Level 3|Nymph
|STR 6|DEX 4|STA 5|CON 5|WIS 2|CHA 2|

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea"-Isak Dinesen
Challenge: 1, 2, 3, 4

all of the things will help- inverted rows and negatives- and then just getting on the bar and pulling your elbows to your waist- not your chin to the bar- will help.

takes time and bringing awareness to it- this is one of those things- it's not JUST a strength issue.