LADIES! Can you do a pull-up?

spezzy

Not sure- but I would start doing some grease the groove training to break that habit so you mentally don't get used to it.

Grab a chair- assistance band or whatever and go to town every day or every other day- damn what your body says- the brain says pull- so you pull!!!!

Two weeks? Probably not. It took me two months to do my first one! But you can always give it a go. If you have been training lats already with other exercises (dumbell rows, australian pull-ups, assisted pull-ups or dead hangs) you may be closer than you think. 

Level 4 Halfling Ranger

"I see the girl running, with no shoes on her feet, jumping shade to shadow, in this deafening heat." - Passenger 

Hello all! 

I currently can do no pull ups at all and I need to be able to do 2 in approximately two weeks for a Physical Fitness Evaluation. Is it possible? Please help me out if you can!

Really depends on your level of training- but my magic 8 ball says odds are not good.

but get to training and see what happens. 

I've just decided to commit to a "due date" for a chin-up from a dead-hang. September 1, 2014. I have a pull-up bar in a doorway at home and am starting off with a foot stool under my feet. I tried practicing just hanging at first, but that feels like such slow progress.

I've always had very low upper body strength, mostly from not training. I'm excited to see my baby biceps grow!

• Like 2

Mad Hatter, that's awesome!

am training to do my first one and while I can see sooooooooome progress, it's so slow....!

You'll get there! Keep going with your training & you'll surprise yourself when you get there :)

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

| STR 2 | DEX 0 | STA 1 | CON 0 | WIS 7 | CHA 0

1 2

Hello all! 

I currently can do no pull ups at all and I need to be able to do 2 in approximately two weeks for a Physical Fitness Evaluation. Is it possible? Please help me out if you can!

Like Suguru, it took me a few months to get there (5'6 145lbs).

But I see it's been 2 weeks since your post, how did it go?

Human Warrior

Non nobis, Domine. Sed nomine tuo da gloriam.

Warrior: Battle Log | Old Battle Log | #1, #2, #3, #4

First Warrior/Ranger Battle Log

Is it normal to feel a lot of discomfort in my shoulders when working up to my first pull up? Right now, my strategy is to simply start from a dead hang, which I can do without any pain, and pull myself as far as I can and then hold for as long as possible. I only feel pain when I drop down and move my shoulders around, and only for the first set. Every set after feels ok though. I'll record a video for form check, but I was just hoping to get some input.

are you coming to a COMPLETELY inactive dead hang- like you feel like your shoulder is "out of socket"?

typically you don't want that- you want it to stay packed into your back- so that maybe causing you some discomfort.   Are you using any other training methods to help- or just pure- I'm going to hang here and keep training this pull up from the dead hang?

From what you've described, no, my deadhangs aren't completely inactive. Plus, I only do sets of 1, so when I return to a deadhang, I drop down. Also, yes, the only method I'm using is to keep trying for a pull up unitl it happens. I've looked into bands, but I don't know which sort to get, and the method I'm using now has gotten me accustomed to what my own bodyweight feels like so it won't be a surprise later on.

Another note, I did start with inverse rows before moving on to this.

I'm not a whole lot closer to achieving my first dead hang pull-up as I was before my second challenge. :upset: I can do assisted pull-ups on the machine at the gym with 25lbs of help, but I have yet to be able to pull myself up on my own more than a few inches. I'm beginning to think I'm not working the proper muscles and I don't know how to fix that...

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

Negatives! jump up to the top of the pullup, hold, and lower as slowly as you can. Increase the time in the hold bit by bit. 

The general rule of thumb I've heard is if you can do a 30 second negative, you can do a pullup, and that was true for me. I trained using negatives and the assisted pullup machine, so not sure which worked better, but negatives are certainly a lot less frustrating than just 'pull up as far as you can and hold' because it's much easier to see progress. 

• Like 1

Another vote for negatives, here. I trained using just negatives and flex hangs. No assisted pullup machine, no bands, nothing. 

• Like 1

Level 4 Halfling Ranger

"I see the girl running, with no shoes on her feet, jumping shade to shadow, in this deafening heat." - Passenger 

From what you've described, no, my deadhangs aren't completely inactive. Plus, I only do sets of 1, so when I return to a deadhang, I drop down. Also, yes, the only method I'm using is to keep trying for a pull up unitl it happens. I've looked into bands, but I don't know which sort to get, and the method I'm using now has gotten me accustomed to what my own bodyweight feels like so it won't be a surprise later on.

Another note, I did start with inverse rows before moving on to this.

welp- that sounds like a really good way to kind of mess your shoulders up AND take forever to get to your pull ups. 

Pull ups are difficult to train because people (women especedially unfortunately) have a VERY difficult time identifying WHERE they need to be pulling to and what muscles specifically they need to use- the feel for it gets lost- a lot. And using a pull up machine is the least efficient way to do it. 

I would definitely suggest doing some of the following

> Lat pull downs

> DB/BB Rows

> Assisted Band pull ups

> Inverted Rows

>Assisted pull ups (use a chair- put it in front of you- and allow your legs to help you)

> Use a friend- let them hold your feet- or waist- get you to the top- and you slowly lower yourself down for negatives. 

Negatives are great- but- I use them a lot. But the trick is you ahve to GET yourself up there: chair- friend- band- you're food. This is why inverted rows/pull ups work so well. 

Just struggling at the bottom to try to pull yourself up is just going to take an insurmountable amount of time to train anything.  I'm going to say it's a bit like training the plank to try to do a push ups- sure the starting positions are the same but you're just never going to get there without the range of motion with the muscles and you use a lot- so there are a ton of ways to get yourself there. 

Here's how I set it up at my gym when I have to do a lot of pull ups and I KNOW I won't be able to do all of them.

photo_zps51789c38.jpg

photo-1_zps96dcb3b4.jpg

Upon further examination, I can do what I'd call "half pull-ups". And by that I mean, I start about halfway up from a dead hang and then I can get to the top of the bar, with several reps. It's one of the ways I've noticed some overly muscled gentlemen do pull-ups at the gym. Does that mean they count as a pull-up?

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Upon further examination, I can do what I'd call "half pull-ups". And by that I mean, I start about halfway up from a dead hang and then I can get to the top of the bar, with several reps. It's one of the ways I've noticed some overly muscled gentlemen do pull-ups at the gym. Does that mean they count as a pull-up?

I would say no, it doesn't count as a full pull-up. Practicing negatives and holding as you lower (esp. past that halfway point) will probably help you gain the strength needed to pull up from a dead hang.

If you can't do the full ROM, it's pretty silly to "count" it as doing a pull-up (or push-up, squat, handstand push-up, or any other exercise that has a standard range of motion).

But that being said, there's nothing wrong with using a partial ROM exercise.  I did a combination of negatives (full ROM), half pull-ups (top half of ROM), and scapular retractions + pulling as high as I could go (bottom half of ROM) before eventually achieving my first full ROM pull-up.  I'm doing partial -ROM handstand push-ups.  If you feel like it's working for you do do partial ROM, and it's more motivational for you than just doing negatives, I don't see the problem.  

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

My point with "counting" it was that most men I see at the gym do them this way: cranking out half pull-ups as part of their routine. It looks impressive, but I don't think it technically counts. ;) Seems very few people at my gym can do real, dead hang pull-ups. (My husband can!)

I'm still not sure I know how to activate my pull-up muscles properly. I understand the concept on how my lateral muscles are supposed to achieve it, but when I dead hang they won't budge. I should practice these negatives I think.

Current Challenge: