Hi, everyone. My name is Machete, and I believe in fitness.

I have been a believer of performance enhancement through exercise since I was 6, when I started dabbling in bodyweight exercises. I was introduced to bodybuilding theory when I was around 12, but I eventually went back to calisthenics after a year or so, reading about different training theories and eventually forming my own. At 22 I read about the Crossfit movement and realized I had been following some of the same exercise principles for years.

I have been training in martial arts on and off for the past 22 years, and have competed in various events in Boxing, Wrestling, Submission Grappling, Kickboxing, and MMA, some semi-professionally. I worked as a striking and conditioning coach at an MMA gym for a year after college. (I'm a poster at the Sherdog forums, and was a frequent winner of their old conditioning challenges.) I have also dabbled in various forms of Yoga for 6 years. Right now I am working on strength training using Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 while doing the occasional select Crossfit workouts.

Though I have never experienced being severely obese, genetics have not really been on my side. Asthma, hypertension, balance issues, and joint misalignment have always put a damper on my athletic pursuits, so I mostly banked on experience, persistence, and smart training. I'm also diagnosed with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder (which does not, by the way, give me Rain Man powers, it just makes me a bit socially-awkward) that may or may not help me focus. I have a Fitness Trainer certificate under the ISSA and am currently working on an MMA Conditioning Certificate, a Yoga Instructor Certificate, and a MS in Sports & Health Science.

I enjoy talking about fitness, and am rather disgusted with today's commercial mindset; huge machine-infested gyms, misleading fitness magazines, a skewed concept of "diet", the undying myth of spot reduction, and Bro Science. I'm glad to have found this rebel alliance, and wish to see what I can learn from it and what I can bring to the table.

Cheers.

1003841_10151445755941965_633671390_n.jp

• Like 1

welcome to NF, Machete! i'm diggin' your style, and i'm especially diggin' that last bit of the code you live by.  ;) i'm sure we'll all be glad to have your expertise around the forums [especially all the dudes over in the monk's training quarters.]
i hope to see your first 6 week challenge thread in the next little while here! can't wait to see what you do!

level 4 elf ranger
STR | 6    DEX | 5    STA | 6    CON | 4    WIS | 4    CHA | 8

Welcome Machete!

Hahaha, that picture is awesome! Ah, I don't think it's the machines that are the problem in gyms so much as the people who 'mis'use them. Check out the "overheard at the gym" thread to see what I'm talking about.

Stay sharp!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Thanks. Machines probably have their use, and I'm positive one can incorporate them into a proper program. However, seeing that most of the gym lore comes from oral tradition, a lot of folks tend to make misguided conclusions, as evident in the "overheard at the gym" thread.

Personally, big commercial gyms terrify me because of (1) the people and (2) the machines. I walk into a commercial gym and all I see is this:

1467288_10151703142346965_934515852_n.jp

• Like 1