The Courtyard (Monks General Chat Thread)

Hello, Monks. I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Darin and I have 25 years of Tai Chi, 5 years of karate, 1 year of judo, and about 6 months of Iaido (on and off). My current monkish 6 week challenge is to re-learn all 8 Iaido kata by practicing in the morning. I am also experienced with meditation. I practiced for many years in and out of monasteries. I am also a runner and my running challenge is to get 30 miles a week in. Thats actually pretty easy for me. It is the kata that will present a problem. I have very little room in my place so I will embrace my inner nerd and pretend I am training to be an Agent of Shield under the direction of my supervising officer, Melinda Mays. I was supposed to be in bed already, but my printer is printing and I can't leave it.

This is pretty awesome! Welcome!

Hi everyone.  I'll be joining you for this challenge at least.  I just started Tae Kwon Do and I'm really excited about it.  Started 2 weeks ago, am hoping to get my white belt tonight.

Hello peeps! Caponerd here, hope to be rejoining for this upcoming challenge! I've missed you all!

Well, what're y'all waiting for? Start some challenge threads and get in on it!

Cool! So, were those Western monasteries or Eastern?

I started out in Catholic monasteries after I left the seminary, but you can't really stay that long in them unless you intend to join. After that I stayed at Eastern ones like hippie commune ashrams. After the Catholic ones, I like the easy going attitude of this hippie ones. I don't like the structure of the really strict ones. I don't need it. They want to structure work+meditation+prayers+eat+playtime and all I wanted to do was meditate. They meditated for an hour a day and I was doing about 6 or more. I stopped the monastery stuff when I turned 40. Mid-life crisis and all that…… ;)

Welcome Taijibum and good luck your goal!!!  I understand about trying to train Iaido in a small space, my ceiling shows that all too well.

Dude….. I have smashed my lights in my office and my living room has groves in the ceiling. I know what you're talking about! Hahaha!

Is there a monk spot where you can easily look up what martial arts and other activities other monks have done so you can collaborate?

Hi Taijibum!

There is =D, this might be what you are looking for: click here.

Inside there is also a very interesting thread about Taichi. Some people think it is not a real martial art, which started a heated debate. With your years of experience, you should tell them otherwise!

• Like 1

Hi Taijibum!

There is =D, this might be what you are looking for: click here.

Inside there is also a very interesting thread about Taichi. Some people think it is not a real martial art, which started a heated debate. With your years of experience, you should tell them otherwise!

Thanks. I actually posted some Tai Chi stuff in the Druid Knowledge Base about a year ago.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/153-druids-knowledge-base/

Haha… I try to stay away from internet debates. They rarely resolve anything. My motto is, "To those who believe, no proof is necessary. To those who disbelieve, no proof is enough."

Edit: I just noticed your Cha. is a dump stat?

Thanks. I actually posted some Tai Chi stuff in the Druid Knowledge Base about a year ago.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/153-druids-knowledge-base/

Haha… I try to stay away from internet debates. They rarely resolve anything. My motto is, "To those who believe, no proof is necessary. To those who disbelieve, no proof is enough."

Edit: I just noticed your Cha. is a dump stat?

Fair enough! 

Oh it´s just that I´ve never though of any challenges that add more Charisma points XD.