The Courtyard (Monks General Chat Thread)

Introducing myself: I'm studying programming at uni at the moment - hoping to head into software development. I did karate as a kid for several years but wound up stopping when we moved interstate and the only places my Dad could find to take me to were horrible McDojos that were more interested in money than in actually teaching their students. I'm currently 27kg over the healthy weight range for my height/gender and not very happy about it because I can't stand the feeling of my back jiggling when I walk. I never crossed my mind that that would even be a thing for overweight people. Now I know and I wish I was still blissfully ignorant.

I'm now eating better and doing MMA at a pretty good local gym. I'm really enjoying wrestling and Thai boxing, especially the amount of sparring the coaches have us do. There's such a massive difference between being able to execute a move with perfect form in practice and being able to execute a move effectively in actual combat, even if your opponent is going easy on you. I finally got a gi so I can join in on the Jujitsu classes soon. Hooray!

I've always really enjoyed martial arts so I'm super glad I'm starting again. It's definitely something I was missing when I wasn't doing it. Can't wait to be at a healthier weight too.

Introducing myself: I'm studying programming at uni at the moment - hoping to head into software development. I did karate as a kid for several years but wound up stopping when we moved interstate and the only places my Dad could find to take me to were horrible McDojos that were more interested in money than in actually teaching their students. I'm currently 27kg over the healthy weight range for my height/gender and not very happy about it because I can't stand the feeling of my back jiggling when I walk. I never crossed my mind that that would even be a thing for overweight people. Now I know and I wish I was still blissfully ignorant.

I'm now eating better and doing MMA at a pretty good local gym. I'm really enjoying wrestling and Thai boxing, especially the amount of sparring the coaches have us do. There's such a massive difference between being able to execute a move with perfect form in practice and being able to execute a move effectively in actual combat, even if your opponent is going easy on you. I finally got a gi so I can join in on the Jujitsu classes soon. Hooray!

I've always really enjoyed martial arts so I'm super glad I'm starting again. It's definitely something I was missing when I wasn't doing it. Can't wait to be at a healthier weight too.

Welcome! :) SOunds like you have fun ahead of you! :)

McDojo's Ha! Totally going to use that one ;)

Hi Everyone, LaughingViking making his introductions!

I am a 24 yo Zen do Kai student from Aus who is looking to take his training and diet more seriously. I am looking to become stronger and fitter knowing that my weigh and appearance will follow in suit. I really look forward to chatting with you all and working together to achieve our goals!

I need some Monk knowledge here. I just joined a Tungsoodo school this past fall and they have their first test next week.  I already have a black-belt in Taekwondo so they're having me jump belt levels provided I can get down all the material. The instructor was going to have my skip this testing and test in March to jump the belts; but then I free sparred him last Monday and he decided I needed to go ahead a test on this round. I have a lot of material to try and get down three months earlier than expected.  That's possible right, 'cause I feel anxious. 

I need some Monk knowledge here. I just joined a Tungsoodo school this past fall and they have their first test next week.  I already have a black-belt in Taekwondo so they're having me jump belt levels provided I can get down all the material. The instructor was going to have my skip this testing and test in March to jump the belts; but then I free sparred him last Monday and he decided I needed to go ahead a test on this round. I have a lot of material to try and get down three months earlier than expected.  That's possible right, 'cause I feel anxious.

I'm actually looking into Tung Soo Do classes. How do you like your classes so far? I know most of what should factor in to my decision is based on the specific dojo but I'd like to get some opinions before I get into a specific discipline.

I'm actually looking into Tung Soo Do classes. How do you like your classes so far? I know most of what should factor in to my decision is based on the specific dojo but I'd like to get some opinions before I get into a specific discipline.

Tungsoodo is essentially Korean Shotokan.  It's a hard fist art like Karate and Taekwondo. I like it, the one steps are applicable and the forms are quite good.  Definitely try it out.

Tungsoodo is essentially Korean Shotokan.  It's a hard fist art like Karate and Taekwondo. I like it, the one steps are applicable and the forms are quite good.  Definitely try it out.

Thanks for the info! A dojo near my apartment is running a special right now. $20 for a uniform and 3 classes to test the waters. I don't know much about pricing martial arts training but that sounds like a great deal.

Complete side note: Any Monks thinking about going to the NF camp???

YES. If there's any way I can make it out there, I'm gonna take it.

Yesssss.  I may or may not have heard about Camp NF before it was officially announced.... but that might happen when you're drinking with multiple guild leaders after epic races.

But I'm stoked.  I really hope I'm employed and available that weekend.  My only semi-issue is it's around the time when I'd go to PA to speak to some undergrads.  I kinda like being a part of that panel.  But I've been doing it for the past 4 years, I can skip a year, me thinks. 

Anyway, it would be awesome if we had a bunch of monks go, and maybe if people are actual instructors *cough*Cheechoe*cough* there can be a few beginners classes there.

Yesssss.  I may or may not have heard about Camp NF before it was officially announced.... but that might happen when you're drinking with multiple guild leaders after epic races.

But I'm stoked.  I really hope I'm employed and available that weekend.  My only semi-issue is it's around the time when I'd go to PA to speak to some undergrads.  I kinda like being a part of that panel.  But I've been doing it for the past 4 years, I can skip a year, me thinks. 

Anyway, it would be awesome if we had a bunch of monks go, and maybe if people are actual instructors *cough*Cheechoe*cough* there can be a few beginners classes there.

I hope so much to be able to go! It would be cool if there were enough monks there to do something like that. We can't let the Warriors with their lifting events and Rangers with their Go Rucks have all the fun! 

Complete side note: Any Monks thinking about going to the NF camp???

So ready for this camp! I just wish we could go through the new year and then skip everything until september.

YES. If there's any way I can make it out there, I'm gonna take it.

I hope so much to be able to go! It would be cool if there were enough monks there to do something like that. We can't let the Warriors with their lifting events and Rangers with their Go Rucks have all the fun! 

Oh hecks yes! I already have the request to take off of work completed and Keba knows that it is basically non negotiable that I go. (I am a guild leader after all. We have responsibilites.)

As for the announcement, Steve announced that he was planning one ages ago. The original time was Spring 2014. So, it wasn't a super secret project. ;)

/me hands phoenix a cough drop

ERMERGERD I WERNER GER SER BERRRRRDLY!!

That'd be awesome sauce :)

I loved every minute and every second of this video. And knowing how mistrustful I usually am about other humans I should be watching it every day to change my attitude a bit.

Anyway. I came here to properly introduce myself  *bows*

I'm Thrima and I can't wait to join monks. (feels like AA statement)

I'm currently working hard in level 1 zone, to represent monastery with pride and apropriate attitude.

I'm part of one man and one dog team with Zorion, my german shepherd puppy who is biting me when I lay on the floor after hard workout. He is best motivation. He also bites me when I'm running too slow, or resting too much.

I'm vegan and I like to experiment so on the next challenge I hope to spam you all with my crazy recipies.

I was training Tae Kwon Do and swordfighting, now I'm targeting Krav Maga classes in my town.

I have poor sense of humor and often don't get when somebody is joking, so be patient, please.

Nice to meet you all, great monks. And special gratitude goes for Kishi (anyone know's if he is really human?), for warm welcome, and support.