Blaidd's final KISS for the year (2013.7)

This challenge literally ends the day before I fly out, so push! push! PUSH!

Main Goal: Fit and Fighting for Brazil (still)

I leave for Brazil in 6 weeks - eek!!!! - and i still have a bit to do before i get there.  If you've been following me for the past few months, you'd know that my main goal is to have a comfortable flight to Brazil.  It's 17 hours of my life stuck in a seat on a plane and i sure as heck want those 17 hours to feel as comfortable as possible.  Last time i flew long distance, the seat belt extender didn't even work, i was cramped and claustrophobic.  When i eventually landed, i had cricks in my back and neck and that left the first few days of my travel in a slightly sour spot. So obviously the less inches i have on me the better - i'm getting there.

Secondly, Brazil is a big place and a hot one too.  I am used to hot and humid summer temperatures (I'm from South Africa, afterall), but Rio has soared into the upper 40's on occasion and i don't handle those high temps very well (i don't like sweat, so sue me).  So i need to be able to fight through it.  The fitter I am, the better it will be for me.

Quest 1: If you can't run, you can at least walk

Brazil is a big place and i will be spending a lot of time walking around the cities, checking out sites and things.  I do plan on lounging on the beaches as often as possible, but there's some walking involved ;) I do a fair amount of walking at the moment, but not enough walking in humidity to prepare me for Brazil.  I need to walk 10k steps at least 3 days a week and the rest of the time 5k steps is ok.

Goal: Walk 270k steps

Measurement: 270K steps = A, 245k = B, 230k = C

Reward: Tattoo

Quest 2: How do you get strong and fit when you don't train

So last challenge, I struggled to get to the gym.  I've decided that we're not going to try to get to the gym, but we're going to add any workout that lasts longer than 30min and has me drenched in sweat afterwards (except, swimming 500m or more counts).

I go back to swimming towards the end of Week 1 and i'm sooooo excited about this - i can't begin to tell you.  I should hopefully be there at least twice a week - weather dependent.  Then i also hope to get into gym 3 - 4 mornings a week, but at the moment getting there in the morning is a mission (weekends are no problem though and i prefer it cos i can spend more time there). At the gym, i hope to reach my lifting goal for the year (I've reached the bench press one) of squatting 75kg and deadlifting 75kg (I hate deadlifting).  I also want to get more boxing in, maybe i could reach a 1000 punches because i honestly don't have a goal for this one.

A workout is one of:

• swimming 500m
  • boxing 45mins
  • Weightlifting 45mins
  • Running (or jogging or wogging) 20min
  • 1 complete Step 1 round of Convict Conditioning (so all 6 exercises at least once).

Only 20 workouts in 6 weeks is a little on the non existent side, but my next quest will explain why i'm taking it easy in the first few weeks.

Goal: Workout at least 20 times in 6 weeks

Measurement: 20 workouts = A, 18 = B, 15 = C

Reward: Designer handbag

Quest 3: Eating it right this time

I loved my foray in Whole30 but I went about reintroduction the "wrong" way (for me) and most of the month of October, I didn't feel right.  So i've decdided to go back to W30 and do the reintro properly.  My attitudes have changed but there's still more work to be done. I will start my W30 on 1 November, so the day this challenge begins I will be on day 11.  I don't anticipate this one being as easy as the last one, but i am sure that i will hold strong on it.  When the time comes to reintro, I will do it the way according to the book and learn from there.  I honestly am not too gutted about giving up sugar or gluten, but i might cry about not being able to eat super salty popcorn ;) I will live though. I'm not going to measure this one, because it's either a win or a fail - there is no other way with W30. 

Side Quest: Learn to use my new camera

So I have a new(ish) camera.  I bought it off my photographer friend a few months ago and i just can't seem to get good pics with it (my point and shoot is way better).  So I need to learn to use it before i fly off to Brazil.  I found a website that has tutorials for this particular camera and I am going to do one (and have a mini shoot), once a week to practice what i've learnt.  I will post a pic a week here for you to judge me and hopefully give me some extra criticism too - hehehe.

Starting Stats:

I will pop these on, on Sunday...

• Like 2

I'm so excited. You'll be the closest any nerd has ever been to me! If you need any advice on surviving high temperatures, Spanish, preventing getting robbed, overall latin american general crazyness. You can count on me! Also, you have to go to a capoeira's roda thingy just to make caponerd jealous.

• Like 1

Well, you've already lost some inches, so that's getting better all the time. We'll help you here to lose some more.

And it's like we keep saying. The food you eat ultimately informs the shape you take. It's not really the workouts you gotta worry about so much, and if you need to throw your willpower more into eating right, well... it's not a bad trade.

Can't wait to see you rock this challenge out! You have actual consequences riding on your completion here, so the stakes are high. Get ready to rock!

• Like 1

Hi Blaidd! Great goals - I love the photography one - I almost included one like it in my new challenge :)

Long flights are horrible. My tips: moisturize inside your nose (trust me!) and clean your teeth as often as you can - it totally freshens you up :)

Brazil is gonna rock!! 

• Like 1

I'm so excited. You'll be the closest any nerd has ever been to me! If you need any advice on surviving high temperatures, Spanish, preventing getting robbed, overall latin american general crazyness. You can count on me! Also, you have to go to a capoeira's roda thingy just to make caponerd jealous.

Hehehehe, I'm sure Steve has been closer though ;) I'm used to high temps - it gets up to 40°C here - i just don't like super heat. Also i live in SA, being street wise is a good idea (although being robbed/mugged/pickpocketed isn't as big a thing, i've been mugged 3 times already, lol).  But if you could re-teach me to dance that'd be great ;)

Also, hell yes, capoeira for sure!  I used to do it when i was in university (inbetween dancing competitively).

Well, you've already lost some inches, so that's getting better all the time. We'll help you here to lose some more.

And it's like we keep saying. The food you eat ultimately informs the shape you take. It's not really the workouts you gotta worry about so much, and if you need to throw your willpower more into eating right, well... it's not a bad trade.

Can't wait to see you rock this challenge out! You have actual consequences riding on your completion here, so the stakes are high. Get ready to rock!

Indeed and i'm glad to be back with you awesome Monks :)

I plan on rocking, let's get it on (the rocking bit that is)!!!

Hi Blaidd! Great goals - I love the photography one - I almost included one like it in my new challenge :)

Long flights are horrible. My tips: moisturize inside your nose (trust me!) and clean your teeth as often as you can - it totally freshens you up :)

Brazil is gonna rock!! 

Thanks for the tips Sam, i will remember to have both my toothbrush and nose moisturiser on me :)

Quest 3: Eating it right this time

I loved my foray in Whole30 but I went about reintroduction the "wrong" way (for me) and most of the month of October, I didn't feel right.  So i've decdided to go back to W30 and do the reintro properly.  My attitudes have changed but there's still more work to be done. I will start my W30 on 1 November, so the day this challenge begins I will be on day 11.  I don't anticipate this one being as easy as the last one, but i am sure that i will hold strong on it.  When the time comes to reintro, I will do it the way according to the book and learn from there.  I honestly am not too gutted about giving up sugar or gluten, but i might cry about not being able to eat super salty popcorn ;) I will live though. I'm not going to measure this one, because it's either a win or a fail - there is no other way with W30. 

Is the 'wrong' way trying about 15 foods that you used to love and just get sick every day?  Because that's what I did.  Whole 30 started on nov 1st as well.  Did you find the last whole 30 to be easy? Because for me it's reversed. I had an entire Hate Week followed by wanting to pass out for a couple days.  My 'kill all the thing's just did not go away until I was basically all detoxed.  This time around, I'm feeling fine. (Although I might have to maul you if you bring some chinese food my way.)

Is the 'wrong' way trying about 15 foods that you used to love and just get sick every day?  Because that's what I did.  Whole 30 started on nov 1st as well.  Did you find the last whole 30 to be easy? Because for me it's reversed. I had an entire Hate Week followed by wanting to pass out for a couple days.  My 'kill all the thing's just did not go away until I was basically all detoxed.  This time around, I'm feeling fine. (Although I might have to maul you if you bring some chinese food my way.)

Yes that is exactly how i did it the wrong way :)  My first W30 didn't go too badly - i actually felt like i sailed through it with minimal stress (but tons of fatigue in the beginning).  I guess i just had other things thrown at me that left me with little time to think about much else.  This time round, i've had a headache so far (although it's sinus related) and i'm feeling the slight fatigue at the moment - i want all the naps in the world!!  I don't have any cravings, but then last time my cravings only kicked in around day 13 or 14 where all i wanted was chocolate - i don't even like chocolate.

Hooray! Go Blaidd! \o/

m24TDgn.gif

Oh this is going to be good, Brazil is so close for you now :D

Looking forward to holiday prep ;)

i know, right.  It's like 46 days away.  Wait for panic stations to kick in - give it 44 days or so.  I get such travel anxiety until i'm in about an hour into the journey - doesn't matter where i'm traveling or how long the journey is.  I even get a little panicky on weekends away, but i discovered rescue remedy last year and that helped a bit. I'm not afraid of flying, or boating or driving or bussing or confined spaces or anything.

Just a few more weeks til Hawaii for you too - how lovely!! So much holidaying between the two of us!

Ok, I confess, I can't wait this challenge to begin and I just posted here so I can see my face in all the threads in the forum <.<.... 

Are we there yet? We should have a Spanish talking fiesta with lots of Ñs... I'll bring the piñata. 

Just like Invader Zim.

I don't know how to post videos on this thing... and I'm a guild leader. Shame on me. 

Awesome gif, Blaidd!  Good luck with the whole30 thing - you've done it once, I know you can do it again!  And I'm with you on the whole flying-long-distances-while-overweight thing - NOT FUN!  So you've got me cheering for you to keep losing inches and have an awesome flight and a great time in Brazil.  Make sure you have at least one caipirinha for me!   :peaceful:

Terosx convinced me to go Whole 30 again too, so I will start mine on the 6th.

Great goals and look forward to seeing you kill them again :)

ooooo another W30er!  Good luck, although considering your current lifestyle i am sure it will be a breeze (not much to let go of there :) )

Ok, I confess, I can't wait this challenge to begin and I just posted here so I can see my face in all the threads in the forum <.<.... 

Are we there yet? We should have a Spanish talking fiesta with lots of Ñs... I'll bring the piñata. 

Just like Invader Zim.

I don't know how to post videos on this thing... and I'm a guild leader. Shame on me. 

hahahahahhaa.  I'll bring the chilli poppers with jalapeños (mmmmm)

I normally just copy and paste the link for the vids

Awesome gif, Blaidd!  Good luck with the whole30 thing - you've done it once, I know you can do it again!  And I'm with you on the whole flying-long-distances-while-overweight thing - NOT FUN!  So you've got me cheering for you to keep losing inches and have an awesome flight and a great time in Brazil.  Make sure you have at least one caipirinha for me!   :peaceful:

Thanks Orc.  I think that i should be just fine, i'm doing so well that i've almost cycled out of every piece of clothing i have in my wardrobe, so i definitely think i will be way more comfortable on this flight. I am so excited about my trip now and it will keep building until i reach flat out panic. 

My last challenge was all about removing potential stressors like christmas shopping from the equation and i'm going to finish getting all the little things i need for the trip before i fly, so that i will literally have only two things to do on my last few days - cook for early christmas lunch, change my money, spend a few hours pre-packing at the spa (already booked myself in for 2 hours) and then packing. It's like 4 things to do in 3 days - so i think i might have the pre-flight anxiety mostly handled (will take rescue remedy for the rest). Oh and i've shipped jay off to his sister for christmas, so he won't be around to get in my hair either :)

so a little pre-challenge update - i started swimming again on Tuesday (it was glorious), then we got rain yesterday (which we will have til next week, so no more swimming til then) and yesterday i suffered a heavy bout of dizziness.  Like really bad - i fainted at work and my boss took me to the doctor and then home (he's an awesome boss). I was completely immobile at home cos any movement left my world spinning.  Turns out i'm drinking too much water and not getting enough sodium (i.e. the water was flushing my system of the sodium i *was* getting) and my blood pressure was stupid low (we're talking 102/66) - i already have a problem with low bp.  So doctor suggested i just add more salt - easy peasy, salty nuts and more biltong - and get more exercise.  So jay in his infinite wisdom went out last night and bought me salted organic cashews, which helped actually, but eating nuts lying down while trying to minimise motion is not easy.  After i started feeling better, i put some raw nuts in the oven to roast - so now i have salty roasted nuts, mmmmmmm. Need to make another batch of biltong though - i will leave that for the weekend.

Today i'm good again.  Nuts but good ;)

glad you feeling better today!

its crazy how sometimes by being healthy you get sick lol. what i also do is carry salt crystals in a small medicine container and put one under my tongue every so often. i had a low sodium problem coz i only cook with salt, you will never see me adding salt to my food (i hate the taste of uncooked salt lol) and that helped :)

Hmm, I have had dizzy spells sometimes too.  I wonder if I need more salt ;)  though I don't shy away from it though.

ooooo another W30er!  Good luck, although considering your current lifestyle i am sure it will be a breeze (not much to let go of there :) )

Yeah, i figure it should be fairly easy for me.  Though since it was my birthday during the weeks off, I gained some cake eating pound :(  This challenge I a, trying to make myself come up with a new meal each week at least.  I don't want to have to go to super old boring food just because it is easy.

Need to make another batch of biltong though - i will leave that for the weekend.

Today i'm good again.  Nuts but good ;)

I really should watch a video or something on how to make biltong.  I was thinking of making jerky again soon, but this time make it thin cuts ;)

• Like 1

Glad you figured out what was causing the dizziness. I used to crave salt for a different reason. I used to REALLY crave salted potato chips sometimes. I thought I was just weak willed late at night, but it turns out craving salt can be a side effect of a low functioning thyroid. When my naturopath got me started on kelp supplements, the craving literally just went away within a couple of days. Another nutritional miracle!  ;-) If I miss a day or two on the supplements, the craving comes right back. I guess that's going to be a good benchmark for me with regard to whether or not my thyroid support program is working for me or not.

Just one minor concern about your goals this time: the language you used seems kind of tentative. More "try", "hopefully", "maybe" words--usually you're more firmly resolved than this. Maybe I'm reading something that isn't there, but just thought I'd check and see how certain you are feeling about your intentions. Otherwise, sounds great!

glad you feeling better today!

its crazy how sometimes by being healthy you get sick lol. what i also do is carry salt crystals in a small medicine container and put one under my tongue every so often. i had a low sodium problem coz i only cook with salt, you will never see me adding salt to my food (i hate the taste of uncooked salt lol) and that helped :)

I didn't think about tissue salts - i carry those around too.  I very rarely think about my blood pressure, but i really do need to.  since i was a teenager i've had a problem with low blood pressure - crazy when my dad's family *all* have hypertension and cardiac issues.  I just generally don't eat a lot of high sodium food, so i have to remember to eat it.

Whew, I see. Suddenly I don't feel so bad pouring salt all over my food - need it after drinking all the water. :)

hehehehe, good idea ;)

I once had a coworker who had stroke like symptoms, droopy face, weak arm, speech trouble. It was pretty scary. It was all because of low sodium. Who thinks of such a thing? Glad you're feeling better! 

yeah it gets a little scary when i feel this way, especially cos i can't slow down - this forces me to do so. My doctor always takes three bp readings (and i can guarantee they are all over the place), if he can even get one.  I've been turned away from blood donation before cos the techs can't get a reading (or find a pulse, lol).

I'm pretty sure I salt every single piece of meat I've ever eaten, so I should be all set.  I always thought it as the oppsoite-too much salt and you get those symptoms.  hrm...

for someone who loves cooking, i forget to add salt.

The joy of the sodium/potassium pump, well well, maybe i did learn something in biology class after all :rolleyes:

indeed.  maybe i should also add some high potassium foods.

Oh, AB - nasty low-sodium times :( Hope you're feeling all better now. Everyone is so worried about having high blood pressure possibly caused by high sodium, and here you are having quite the opposite problem!

Mmmmmm.... salty home made biltong - YUM

hehehehe, i really do need to make that biltong.

Hmm, I have had dizzy spells sometimes too.  I wonder if I need more salt ;)  though I don't shy away from it though.

Yeah, i figure it should be fairly easy for me.  Though since it was my birthday during the weeks off, I gained some cake eating pound :(  This challenge I a, trying to make myself come up with a new meal each week at least.  I don't want to have to go to super old boring food just because it is easy.

I really should watch a video or something on how to make biltong.  I was thinking of making jerky again soon, but this time make it thin cuts ;)

i'm sure you're still gonna rock W30.

I never make my strips more than 3/4 inch thick when dehydrating and then put it through the food processor to slice it even thinner.

Glad you figured out what was causing the dizziness. I used to crave salt for a different reason. I used to REALLY crave salted potato chips sometimes. I thought I was just weak willed late at night, but it turns out craving salt can be a side effect of a low functioning thyroid. When my naturopath got me started on kelp supplements, the craving literally just went away within a couple of days. Another nutritional miracle!  ;-) If I miss a day or two on the supplements, the craving comes right back. I guess that's going to be a good benchmark for me with regard to whether or not my thyroid support program is working for me or not.

Just one minor concern about your goals this time: the language you used seems kind of tentative. More "try", "hopefully", "maybe" words--usually you're more firmly resolved than this. Maybe I'm reading something that isn't there, but just thought I'd check and see how certain you are feeling about your intentions. Otherwise, sounds great!

i had a read through of my challenge and you're right, i noticed it those words in the workout goal.  I don't know why it is but maybe it's because i'm not focusing on getting to gym itself, the W30 and the walking are my main goals in this one.  That's why i've incorporated things like swimming and "running" that i can do outside of the gym.

Ooooh noes! I hope you are feeling better!

thanks babe.  doing better.

ugh, so should give you a pre-challenge update.  Jay went missing on friday - well basically he didn't come home after a night out binge drinking with his best friend (after we had been to a comedy club, which was great). I thought he'd stayed with his bestie, but he messaged me to ask if jay was ok and we discovered that he had disappeared.  We spent the morning phoning hospitals, police stations, his other friends etc.  I eventually made it home just before my chiro and there he was passed out on the couch.  I was pissed off!  I stormed off to my appointment only to be called by his boss who had found out that he'd been in the drunk tank that night.  I was nowhere upset after that.  When i got home i had a nap myself - so tiring being worried - and then we had a little chat.  He called a cop a "f*&king retard" and the guy arrested him - he should've known better, cops in SA join the force out of ego more than actually wanting to help people.  I am not excusing his behavior, but it could totally have been avoided. They also didn't allow him to make his phone call - so none of us knew where the hell he was. I feel kinda bad for him, but also i'm glad he went through that - someone needed a wake up call.

Also although i had started W30 on 1 November, i have decided to only start counting the days from Monday (so Day 1 will in affect be my day 11, but we're not counting yet).