Ask a Scout!

Shukar

Thanks for the input everyone! Lifting is definitely a secondary activity for me - I'm all about the bike rides, because fun. Do you think it would work to keep my deficit as is and focus more on protein? That way carbs will get cut automatically, because I only have so many calories available.

Nuribaby, Level 2 Scout

STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 4.25 | WIS .25 | CHA 1

Current Challenge (Prev 1) | Strength in Numbers | Battle Log | MyFitnessPal

"Let us, then, be up and doing,

With a heart for any fate;

Still achieving, still pursuing,

Learn to labor and to wait."

"A Psalm of Life", Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Would you mind pointing me to some more info on this subject? This is completely contrary to my own experience, but I've got some non-standard neurochemical stuff going on and I'm curious if that's why.

This position is contended somewhat.  People are different and results differ.

^^ I'm not a fan of the "chronic cardio" theories, because I think they blame problems caused by *diet* on exercise.

Totally, people are different and of course some people can lose weight with lots of cardio.

It just doesn't work for me - if it works for you that's great !

For me putting the focus on bodyweight and diet made all the difference and I only run for fun now, not to burn calories. 

I also have to be really careful not to run too much (anything >1.5h or >10 miles is my threshold) because I get ill immediately. 

:) Just giving my opinion + talking from own experience here, by no means 'teh truth'.

Level 3 Human Assassin

STR 6 DEX 7 STA 8 CON 1 WIS 9 CHA 3

challenges 1 2 3 daily battle log

6 months goals

Thanks for the input everyone! Lifting is definitely a secondary activity for me - I'm all about the bike rides, because fun. Do you think it would work to keep my deficit as is and focus more on protein? That way carbs will get cut automatically, because I only have so many calories available.

Being a paleo guy, I'd say increase your fat intake first. Keep your carbs under 100g/day, protein around 0.5-1g per lean bodyweight, and the rest of the calories should come from fat.  

Eating more protein than that is not necessary unless you are doing powerlifting seriously. 

Again, this is just opinion and personal experience. :)

Level 3 Human Assassin

6 months goals

Totally, people are different and of course some people can lose weight with lots of cardio.

It just doesn't work for me - if it works for you that's great !

For me putting the focus on bodyweight and diet made all the difference and I only run for fun now, not to burn calories. 

I also have to be really careful not to run too much (anything >1.5h or >10 miles is my threshold) because I get ill immediately. 

:) Just giving my opinion + talking from own experience here, by no means 'teh truth'.

Totally understood, but I really would be interested in looking at more info on the subject if you could point me in the right direction. This is the first I've ever heard of the idea that cardio affects women's hunger and cortisol levels differently than men's, and I'm curious about the evidence that led to this idea.

only what you take with you

Challenges: Starstuff Wars Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI  

NF character ~ Fitbit ~ Strava ~ Smashrun ~ MyFitnessPal

Food Log

^^ I'm not a fan of the "chronic cardio" theories, because I think they blame problems caused by *diet* on exercise.

I'm with you. In fact I'm against most theories. Eat your greens, exercise lots, stay away from cake and beer and most people will be just fine.

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

18ck, totally with you there. I'm not a Paseo person myself, and there are plenty of ways to lose weight. I'm all for finding the ones that you like.

Nuribaby, Level 2 Scout

STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 4.25 | WIS .25 | CHA 1

Current Challenge (Prev 1) | Strength in Numbers | Battle Log | MyFitnessPal

"Let us, then, be up and doing,

With a heart for any fate;

Still achieving, still pursuing,

Learn to labor and to wait."

"A Psalm of Life", Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Totally understood, but I really would be interested in looking at more info on the subject if you could point me in the right direction. This is the first I've ever heard of the idea that cardio affects women's hunger and cortisol levels differently than men's, and I'm curious about the evidence that led to this idea.

Oh, I'm totally not a doctor (I am actually but not that kind of doctor :blink:), it's just something that I read somewhere on the interweb.

Here's a study that says cortisol in enhanced in endurance athletes (although cyclists and 10km runners were fine), with a tad more significance for women than for men. 

And here's a study that says cortisol highs increase appetite in some women. 

It makes sense in my little brain, but if you really want to find out something substantial I guess you'd have to google and read a lot. :)

• Like 1

Level 3 Human Assassin

6 months goals

Oh, I'm totally not a doctor (I am actually but not that kind of doctor :blink:), it's just something that I read somewhere on the interweb.

Here's a study that says cortisol in enhanced in endurance athletes (although cyclists and 10km runners were fine), with a tad more significance for women than for men. 

And here's a study that says cortisol highs increase appetite in some women. 

It makes sense in my little brain, but if you really want to find out something substantial I guess you'd have to google and read a lot. :)

Awesome. Thanks!

only what you take with you

Challenges: Starstuff Wars Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI  

NF character ~ Fitbit ~ Strava ~ Smashrun ~ MyFitnessPal

Food Log

I vote for yes Shortstuff, I think we need to mix some things up and hit things that we normally neglect like core, stretching, strength...... or whatever; I'm not really all that great at coming up with challenges that aren't in the spur of the moment

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

Yes! Mini-challenge please! I could think of tons of awesome pokemon related challenges :D

(sorry for short replies, spelling derps and autocorrect funsies, sent from phone)

Starting in Palette Town, head north to Viridian City to drop off a package for Professor Oak whilst allowing Bob Ross to start in on the happy trees.

But it's dangerous to go alone!

Select your walking buddy to help you on your way:

Bulbasaur -- Grass type of amzingness. Will you be biking through the grass to Viridian City?

Squirtle -- Water type extraordinaire. Will you be swimming to Viridian City?

Charmander -- Fire type wonder. Will you be fueling the fires of running to Viridian City?

Pikachu -- Electric type shocker. Will you be making the trifecta to Viridian City?

• Like 2

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

Starting in Palette Town, head north to Viridian City to drop off a package for Professor Oak whilst allowing Bob Ross to start in on the happy trees.

But it's dangerous to go alone!

Select your walking buddy to help you on your way:

Bulbasaur -- Grass type of amzingness. Will you be biking through the grass to Viridian City?

Squirtle -- Water type extraordinaire. Will you be swimming to Viridian City?

Charmander -- Fire type wonder. Will you be fueling the fires of running to Viridian City?

Pikachu -- Electric type shocker. Will you be making the trifecta to Viridian City?

We should team up and make awesome challenges. I love this so much! :D

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

apfelstrudi learns to outrun shamblers | Instagram challenge

I have a question,

Can I ask it on haiku?

Wait! That wasn't it!

What do people eat

Before and after workout?

Prefer not powder.

I workout first thing,

Currently drink sustogen

Pre, protein after.

Also should I drink,

Different weight lift to run days ?

Thanks for all your help!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Fruit is good pre run

Fructose is easily absorbed

Not bananas though

When run is over

You can fill your tummy more

Banana: you die!

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Banana before

a swim, is very tasty

keeps the cramps away

A nut butter shake

with mixed greens and vanilla

is a treat after.

Strength and yoga days

start with no food for me but

yogurt bowl after.

I like to play with

recipes though, and think that

burritos are good.

Simple Green Breakfast Burrito (or taco)

lettuce leaf (Romain) or collard or cabbage leaf

scrambled eggs

chicken sausage

homemade salsa

Deposit sausage, eggs, and salsa onto a green leaf. 

wrap up like a burrito (difficult)

eat.

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

I find that quite odd,

I thought bananas were great?

They serve them at runs.

(sorry for short replies, spelling derps and autocorrect funsies, sent from phone)

Bananas are served

Post run never pre. They are

Too heavy in tum.

Without further delay, the mini-challenge is now posted!

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines