[November 5th - December 31st] Handstands PvP

My handstand update from my challenge thread:

I joined the PVP handstand and the upside down accountibuddies groups. I hit 12" from the wall and can hold for 50 seconds. I was only practicing my holds for 1 minute, but now I'm doing 5 minutes of practice at a time, and holding for 50 seconds and then 4 sets of 20 seconds. I've also got the pirouette bail down now, or at least close enough that I feel in control and not hurting myself. On the NF article, it says to wait until you can hold 60 seconds before going on to the pirouette bail, but that's crazy! I need it to get down from my wall stand now, for the sake of my knees, my face and my sanity. So next step is to increase hold time to 60 seconds and start doing small push offs from the wall. Hopefully in a week, I can't start practicing kick ups to the wall.

sml_gallery_23237_729_50513.jpg

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

I'm sure I speak for many people, QuirkyDM, when I say that I hope nobody opens that door.

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Thank you, Mad Hatter, for the wrist stuff.  I was thinking earlier today how i needed to find something like that, then I come home and there it is! 

Better Living through Reckless* Experimentation

*But well documented

(I already posted this pic in my challenge thread): Post spin handstands

photo.JPG

Hopefully there will be some freestanding pics soon!

Cavilie - Level 4 Assassin

Chapter 1 | Chapter 2 | Chapter 3 | Chapter 4

Handstand PVP

7 WIS|2 STA|4.25 CHA|7.75 DEX|1 CON|3.75 STR

"If you can’t take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It’s not safe out here. It’s wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it’s not for the timid."

Q, Star Trek: The Next Generation ('Q Who?')

Sweet handstand Caville! What do you mean post spin?

I forgot until just before I went to bed. Did my 5 minutes. It was pathetic because I was tired, but I get to check off the box, :redface-new:

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Good job!

Try and point your toes and open up through your shoulders a bit more. I know that the guy that wrote the progression doesn't care about form (which I completely disagree with) but it will really help you later on!

I love advice, thanks! But what do you mean "open up through your shoulders a bit more"? Rotate my hands outward? Push my shoulders back?

Quirky DM

With open shoulders I mean that the shoulders should fully extend above the head, so that the arms, shoulders and torso are all aligned in a straight line. It's a bit easier to see in the two pictures. :) In the first one everything is *almost* aligned, while in the second one my back is arched and shoulders are closed, which actually makes it more strenuous to hold. With the belly-to-wall handstands it is self-regulating in a way, so as you get closer and closer to the wall you'll be forced to adopt a more aligned position either way.

gallery_19981_601_406813.png gallery_19981_601_67600.png

• Like 1

I've been trying to kick up into a handstand with a wall behind me today. I couldn't *quite* get all the way over but a few times I managed to teeter precariously in the vertical position for a second or two before rolling back down. Another week or so and I'll be there, I think.

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Sweet handstand Caville! What do you mean post spin?

Thanks! Post spin refers to my 2nd favourite part of Fridays where I get to go play around in the open studio after my super intense spin class.

Handstand PVP

"If you can’t take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It’s not safe out here. It’s wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it’s not for the timid."

Thanks! Post spin refers to my 2nd favourite part of Fridays where I get to go play around in the open studio after my super intense spin class.

Aaah, I see. I thought you meant you were doing a spinning handstand of some sort. 

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I'm taking a break today. I overdid it the last couple of days. So instead of handstands I was doing some "wrist work".

Will be back tomorrow!

- Abtacha -

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4

"Conquer yourself and the world lies at your feet."

"Take care of your body as if you were going to live forever, and take care of your soul as if you were going to die tomorrow."

- Saint Ausgustine -

Had hubby help me with some handstand wall kick ups today. A few were flops, but a few I almost got it there and he just helped. I think my main issue is just remembering to do all the stuff (hollow hold, straight arms and legs) at once in order to execute the move. What I did with handstands was to pick one thing (ie hollow hold) and focus on it every time I did a handstand until it was just natural. Think I will try that with the kick ups. 

Aaah, I see. I thought you meant you were doing a spinning handstand of some sort. 

That would have been so much cooler!

Handstand PVP

With open shoulders I mean that the shoulders should fully extend above the head, so that the arms, shoulders and torso are all aligned in a straight line. It's a bit easier to see in the two pictures. :) In the first one everything is *almost* aligned, while in the second one my back is arched and shoulders are closed, which actually makes it more strenuous to hold. With the belly-to-wall handstands it is self-regulating in a way, so as you get closer and closer to the wall you'll be forced to adopt a more aligned position either way.

That was really helpful. I know my back isn't supposed to be arched, but it's hard to correct your form when you can't see it that well. I focused on stacking my body up straighter this time- tuck my head in and thrust my hips out. the balance was much easier like this and I felt like my position was vertical. I couldn't hold the stand any longer than before, but it felt better and feels like I have a lot more space between myself and the wall now.

Thanks for the feedback, Mad Hatter!

Quirky DM

Hey guys, keep inverting like the madpeople you are! I'm bowing out of this PVP in the interest of my own health. My dizzy spells have intensified since trying to to do handstands and I think I can't keep up this every-day pace. 

Good luck to all of you!!

Level 4 Tiefling Assassin

STR 9 // DEX 5 // STA 5 // CON 9 // WIS 4 // CHA 8

I'll never love visible abs nearly as much as I love whiskey.

Challenges: One Two Three Four Current

I had a private lesson today! One of the ladies in my ballet class is a gymnastics teacher. And when I told her about my wrist problems she showed me what I was doing wrong. I would set my hands down pretty close to my feet which puts a lot of pressure on the wrists. She told me to start about the size of me with my hands outstretched away from the wall (hope that makes sense). That way the pressure on the wrists increases gradually. I'm not there yet mentally but it's getting better.

- Abtacha -

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4

"Conquer yourself and the world lies at your feet."

"Take care of your body as if you were going to live forever, and take care of your soul as if you were going to die tomorrow."

- Saint Ausgustine -

I feel like I'm making some progress.  Today, I was able to hold for a minute and a half with my belly toward the wall, then while practicing kicking up, I was able to actually balance a little bit.  Maybe a second at best, but it's a start.  I have know idea how good my form is because I don't have anywhere to practice that has a mirror that I can see when I'm upside down.  Maybe I should see if I can talk someone at the gym into taking some video for me.

Better Living through Reckless* Experimentation

*But well documented

That was really helpful. I know my back isn't supposed to be arched, but it's hard to correct your form when you can't see it that well. I focused on stacking my body up straighter this time- tuck my head in and thrust my hips out. the balance was much easier like this and I felt like my position was vertical. I couldn't hold the stand any longer than before, but it felt better and feels like I have a lot more space between myself and the wall now.

Thanks for the feedback, Mad Hatter!

Yay, I'm glad it was helpful! :)

Harika, this is the hollow hold

a00052.jpg

There is a progression on the site too

http://gymnasticswod.com/content/hollow-body

A GREAT exercise to do is to take exactly that same position but flip it over so that it becomes a kind of plank, with pointed feet and arms in front of you instead of next to you. If regular plank is too easy this is a good one to practice. 

Aww and so sorry to hear Max :( Hope the dizzy spells go away soon!

!!! A whole thread of handstands!!! I will be observing this challenge. I'm not a handstand expert, but I ain't bad. MadHatter seems like she's got it under control in here, but I'll peep up every so often.

Handstand pictures! Handstand progression! Handstand competition! 

You guys are awesome. <3

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1