Let it begin...

Hello all:

I'm very blessed to have come across this website on 9GAG. (which is awesome BTW..lol...ahem)

I'm trying to keep up this healthy lifestyle that I've created by pushing it further. I'm an ARMY National Guard Guy and as a leader it's truly embarrassing to fail a PT test. You feel inept...a true leader wouldn't possibly fail a PT test. I took the PT test yesterday and 56 push-ups in 2 min, 72 situps in 2 min, and came in at 19:27 for the run...*sigh*. Yet, I'm that guy... it has always been that blasted 2-mile run. If I don't get this stuff out of my head... I'll feel as though I'm cheating myself and others looking for support. I'm not gonna cheat you guys...

So, here I am. I'm looking for support and help and looking forward to the next challenge!

Current mission objectives:

-Complete the 2 mile run in under 16:00 min by starting a running regimen

-Get a job (my most recent orders ended SEPT 30th...so currently seeking employment)

-Stay in tune with spiritual health.

Sidequests:

-Get more sleeeeeep (sick of feeling like a zombie while getting my kids together for school in the morn)

So... aside from the running. I'd like to actually be able to do pull ups. Call it a goal if you will. 50 pull-ups. Upper body strength is something I've always wanted. I don't want to bulk up very much, I want to get stronger and stay lithe and lean. Think Spider-man or Green Arrow (from The Arrow)...lol.

Any suggestions for workouts to help on this upper body strength?

I'm already eating purty dern healthy, No fried foods at all (ever since I cut them out, I can't even stand the smell of them anymore), very little sweets, lots of proteins and veggies. Alot of it seems repetitive... looking for some healthy easy to make recipes.

Well...glad to be here, fellow Rebels!! Thanks in advance for your support! KCCO!

-Yawn

Level 0 Adventurer, Dunmer (Dark Elf)

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

"Your life is your own, Rise up and live it" - Lord Richard Rahl

Ah. I used to be that guy, running 11-minute miles. Hahaha. Have you read FM 7-22? Good stuff. Really underrated.

On another note, is it 50 pullups in one session, or 50 pullups straight (which is a bit of a tall order)?

Honestly? I haven't read all of 7-22. I guess it'd do well for me to brush up on it. I hate running with a passion of 1000 suns. lol... sounds more dramatic than it really is. But I plan to work my way up to doing fun runs and tough mudders. I figure this way I'll start to enjoy it.

I'd like to be able to start with 50 pullups in one session and then work my way onto 50 pullups straight. I can only make it up to 15 or so before my arms start to feel dead. lol.

Level 0 Adventurer, Dunmer (Dark Elf)

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

"Your life is your own, Rise up and live it" - Lord Richard Rahl

A race would be good. Learning how to properly run was pretty entertaining for me. I got myself some minimalist running shoes and a metronome, and worked on decreasing ground contact with a midfoot strike. A heart rate monitor is also useful, if you're training for cardiac output with long, slow, boring FM 21-20-stlye runs; or if you want to run at around your lactate threshold.

Believe it or not though, I actually broke the 14-minute mark in the 2-mile when I started strength training.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines