• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Oooo. Plank day. Nice.

I bet you are getting worked like crazy at UPS for all the holiday shipping. :/

This makes you kind of like Santa.

<.<

>.>

<.<

Pssst....when am I going to get my Buffy Ominbus (Vol 1) and my Angel and Faith Season Nine comic from the Amazon Fairy? Check on that for me?? xD

Convict Conditioning Custom: 22/22

Morning Mobility: 31/37

Technical Work: 22/37

Meditation: 32/37

Aaand, had to call the cops on the neighbors. Never thought I'd see the day that I'd be the grumpy old man telling the kids to get off my lawn. Oh well. If they want to smoke and drink and litter and cause a noise violation at 2 AM, Raleigh's a big city, and they can find somewhere else. I have faith in them. :)

Warm Up

Pulling Prep (scap pull ups): 1x10

Ring Push Ups: 3x2

Squat Jumps: 3x3

Chin Ups: 3x5

Pistol Progressions: 3x4/Leg

Inverted Rows: 3x3

Skater Squats: 3x8/Leg

Overhand Flex Hangs: 3x3 seconds

Jumping Lunges: 3x9/Leg

Finisher: 7 Hill Sprints

Realized that my program was too... convoluted. The isometrics and the cadence, in particular, weren't being useful, on account of the fact that they're used for hypertrophy, and I'm not eating enough to fuel that. So I cut them out and back, although I get the feeling that with the hanging knee raises I'll probably have to keep it. It's the only way I can do the move and maintain that stability.

Though, to be fair, most of these moves benefit from smooth, conscious control.

Whoof, tired. I was going to confirm training times with sensei for tomorrow, but I don't think that's going to happen now. Shoot. Oh well. It's probably better to get this kind of thing done in advance anyway, so shame on me. ^_^;

Oooo. Plank day. Nice.

I bet you are getting worked like crazy at UPS for all the holiday shipping. :/

This makes you kind of like Santa.

<.<

>.>

<.<

Pssst....when am I going to get my Buffy Ominbus (Vol 1) and my Angel and Faith Season Nine comic from the Amazon Fairy? Check on that for me?? xD

It's actually gotten better. I mean, yeah, I moved 1934 packages on Tuesday, but I've taken to playing games to pass the time. I figured out that in order to hit the pace they want, a package has to be checked in once per eight seconds, so I play a game called, "The Crazy Eights." Check a package in. I have eight seconds to get the thing placed and get back to the extendo to check the next one in. Great on Mondays and Tuesdays, when everything's fast-paced. Not so good today, when the pace is slower.

Also, I would totally do that for you, but I cover Alabama and certain parts of NC. No TX for me, I'm afraid. -_-

Aaand, had to call the cops on the neighbors. Never thought I'd see the day that I'd be the grumpy old man telling the kids to get off my lawn. Oh well. If they want to smoke and drink and litter and cause a noise violation at 2 AM, Raleigh's a big city, and they can find somewhere else. I have faith in them. :)

tumblr_m240n3XVr61rpymbro1_500.gif

Warm Up

Pulling Prep (scap pull ups): 1x10

Ring Push Ups: 3x2

Squat Jumps: 3x3

Chin Ups: 3x5

Pistol Progressions: 3x4/Leg

Inverted Rows: 3x3

Skater Squats: 3x8/Leg

Overhand Flex Hangs: 3x3 seconds

Jumping Lunges: 3x9/Leg

Finisher: 7 Hill Sprints

Realized that my program was too... convoluted. The isometrics and the cadence, in particular, weren't being useful, on account of the fact that they're used for hypertrophy, and I'm not eating enough to fuel that. So I cut them out and back, although I get the feeling that with the hanging knee raises I'll probably have to keep it. It's the only way I can do the move and maintain that stability.

Though, to be fair, most of these moves benefit from smooth, conscious control.

Whoof, tired. I was going to confirm training times with sensei for tomorrow, but I don't think that's going to happen now. Shoot. Oh well. It's probably better to get this kind of thing done in advance anyway, so shame on me. ^_^;

I don't know if convoluted is the right word there.  Maybe excessive, but you know too much about each exercise it seems to mindlessly put it into your workout.  Your crazy, crazy workouts.  :tongue:

As for training times....  Get on that, bugger.  Can you get away will calling your sensei at the beginning of the week and pre-planning that way?  Or is your schedule too fluid and that wouldn't work?

Better yet, can you email your Sensei so you can reference it later and you don't have to worry about what hour of the day it is?

Yeah, most everything in general workouts and martial arts benefit from smooth conscious control. 

I like your work game.  The slow days must suck pretty hard.

I don't know if convoluted is the right word there.  Maybe excessive, but you know too much about each exercise it seems to mindlessly put it into your workout.  Your crazy, crazy workouts.  :tongue:

As for training times....  Get on that, bugger.  Can you get away will calling your sensei at the beginning of the week and pre-planning that way?  Or is your schedule too fluid and that wouldn't work?

You got a point there. And everything ultimately does have a purpose in the workout. It's just minor pieces, little details and such that are adding on to the amount of time that I'm spending there.

I could totally get away with calling/Facebooking/emailing the guy and getting all of that arranged ahead of time. I just dropped the ball on that one.

Better yet, can you email your Sensei so you can reference it later and you don't have to worry about what hour of the day it is?

Yeah, most everything in general workouts and martial arts benefit from smooth conscious control. 

I like your work game.  The slow days must suck pretty hard.

Yep!

I think it will. If nothing else, doing this has taught me that much, and I'm grateful. This experiment can be considered a success in that it's generated a greater degree of mindfulness in me in terms of how I approach executing exercises and techniques.

The slow days... they're not that bad. I mean, yeah, they don't look good in terms of productivity, but nobody's numbers tend to look good on those days anyway, so it's not as if I'm alone. The only troublesome part is that time just doesn't pass, and the 'last call' that comes at the end when all the packages arrive can be burdensome.

Convict Conditioning Custom: 23/23

Morning Mobility: 31/38

Technical Work: 22/38

Meditation: 33/38

Oof. Did not have a good day today. Got a call from the writing boss, and apparently things went to hell in the worst possible way. I dropped the ball, big time, and ended up having to cancel my shift at UPS to make up for it. I spent all afternoon working on things in this frantic effort to get caught up, and honestly it feels like whatever goodwill I had has been squandered.

Tch. Just what I needed. But I have the chance to make this right, and I've got the tools to do all of that. Just got to cross those fingers and go to work.

Oh well. Still got a workout in.

Warmed Up

Bear Crawl/Crab Walk: 3xD

Bridge Push Ups: 3x5

Swinging Kips: 3x5

Handstands: 3x18s

Half-bridge Lift: 3x3

Rocca Press: 3x2

Half Bridge Side Rocks: 3x3/side

Frog Stand: 3x14s

Half Bridge Leg Lift: 3x1

No finisher tonight. Just couldn't find the motivation today, and also, the half bridge leg lifts were a lot harder than I thought they'd be. Executing them well will be a challenge.

I'm excited, though, to say that I've picked up some new resources on programming. This is actually pretty unique in that it's not any one person's programs, but rather it's about how to program specifically, amongst lots of great information like how to manufacture tension in the core and things of that nature. If I wasn't falling asleep as I type this, I'd probably dig into the info tonight, but as it is, it'd be wasted on me now.

I've got a lot of vision for the next challenge, which means I'm at the point where I'm ready for this one to be over. ^_^;

• Like 1

Crap, sorry you had such a bad day.  I hope your boss remembers all of the good work and backup you've provided in the past.  This stuff happens and good bosses generally understand that you can't be 100% all of the time.

As always, your ability to workout after ANYTHING amazes me.  *hugs*

Hope you enjoy your new resources after some sleep.  Follow your own advice!

Crap, sorry you had such a bad day.  I hope your boss remembers all of the good work and backup you've provided in the past.  This stuff happens and good bosses generally understand that you can't be 100% all of the time.

As always, your ability to workout after ANYTHING amazes me.  *hugs*

Hope you enjoy your new resources after some sleep.  Follow your own advice!

Eh. Bad days have to happen for the good days to mean anything. The days of our lives, huh? Anyway, he believes in my ability to fix this; I'm just disappointed that it has to be fixed. Unfortunately, I thought about it a lot yesterday and realized that I forgot about a lot of the projects he wanted done for two reasons: one, no deadline was attached to the projects; and two, the fact that I have to work other jobs with definite times and deadlines attached to them meant that I kept putting the projects off. It wouldn't be such a big deal, except that the business is struggling to get off the ground, and it's just the two of us, and any failure on my part is a huge failure for the business.

Bottom line, I got spread too thin. This working three jobs thing was a stupid idea. But this is the reality of things now, and I'll bear up or crash and burn. As usual, those are my options. -_-

Anyway. Thank you! I find that working out is like a reset on the mind. I almost have to workout when bad things happen. It's like a coping mechanism.

Sleep has been gotten. Let's hit these things.

Convict Conditioning Custom: 24/24

Morning Mobility: 33/41

Technical Work: 23/41

Meditation: 36/41

Have to take off for work in just a bit, so I have to leave final grading and such for later.

Abandoned the CCC program to work on a more efficient program. It's worked well for the past six weeks, but now it's time to move on to something else and apply my new knowledge.

Workout:

Warmed Up

AMRAP in intervals of 60s, 45s, 30s, 15s of the following moves:

Burpees

Chin Ups (hung from the bar when I couldn't move anymore).

Squats

Push Ups (planked when I couldn't move anymore).

Isometrics

Handstands: 3x19s

Hollow Body Holds: 3x5s

Frog Stands: 3x15s

Phew. God bless, this was a tough one, but the work capacity is there at least. I approve of this.

Some of you might recognize this from Never Gymless and you would be correct. I keep wanting to go back and fight with that program, because it keeps beating me and it leaves me hungry for more. I'll be posting up also in the holiday mini-challenge as well, so y'all feel free to drop on by and say hello.

Grading to be posted later...

All right. Let's grade this bad boy.

GOAL 1: CCC - 24/24 - A - +1 STA, +2 STR

Maybe it's cocky of me to say this, but strength training requires no motivation for me at all. I just love it, and I honestly don't see myself making a goal of it again. No fear, folks, I'll still post my workouts - I'm arrogant that way - but I think the habit is suitably ingrained such that making a big deal of it isn't really productive anymore.

GOAL 2: Technical Work - 23/41 - D - +1.25 DEX

HAHAHAHA. Wow. Who'd have thought this would be too ambitious? Totally took me by surprise, but then, I thought I'd be spending my days at home, working on the computer and needing stand-up breaks from time to time. That did not happen. But I think this kind of skill work is integral for a martial artist, so I've gotta find a way to start doing this again, particularly since sensei has noted a retention of quality.

GOAL 3: Morning Mobility - 33/41 - B - +3 CON

Ah, now, this. I wish I'd done more of this. I seriously underestimated the stress of working UPS, and doing this - and doing more active recovery, for that matter - made a hell of a difference. This is something I want to work on more.

LIFE GOAL: Meditation - 36/41 - A - +3 WIS

This one was a real shocker for me too. I've tried meditation goals in the past, and they never stuck. Even when I was doing 'easy' meditations at one or two minutes twice per day. And I think I've noticed the benefits. I've started doing it right before going to bed, whilst throwing an ice pack across my back to help lower my core temperature. I'm out like a light, but for all I know that's also because of digesting dinner and body realizing "Holy crap, you exercised and did manual labor? WTF, bro. Go to sleep so I can fix this." I'm only too happy to oblige.

Last thoughts:

So, thoughts about the challenges... well. I've had a lot of time to think. I've been working to figure out what kind of challenges are ultimately going to make the biggest difference for me going forward. And while I'm not as strong as I want to be yet, the habit of strength training is in me to the point that I don't see a reason to make a goal of it anymore. I really want to shift over to more mobility work, active flexibility, things like that. I've got access to the systems for it, so at this point it's all about making the time to apply them, and I think I can. But I know that I'm not going to unless I have that aspect of accountability which you all provide for me.

I also need to get martial arts back into my life on some level. I should never have bought into the lie that physical development came before my training. The reality is that they're one and the same, and I'm going to have to figure out how to get back into training not just on my own, but also in the dojo. It's not just a matter of cutting things out; it's a matter of getting to a place financially where I can afford to make it a non-negotiable part of my budget (tip of the hat to RP for that).

My writing habit stopped again. This needs no explanation; three jobs will kill you for sure. But I need to get it back. This is not a want.

Aaaaand, for the sake of my vanity, I need to get to a point where I'm comfy with my shirt off for Camp next year. Because I don't know how I'm gonna get there, but I'm gonna get there, and I intend to have led by example rather than by word. So there. :D

And, that's about it.

Y'all are a most excellent bunch of monks. We've grown as a guild by leaps and bounds since the beginning of the year. We actually didn't do very much in terms of mini-challenges and we never had very many people in here to train. Most martial artists went to hang with the other guilds, and while a lot of that had to do with their goals and wanting to do better with calisthenics or generalized fitness or barbells, there is a part of me that thinks that we ultimately just didn't provide enough benefit as the guild for martial artists to draw people in.

Maybe it's just the nature of martial arts. I generally hear the same story over and over, that students get into this path because they want to physically express themselves but they don't enjoy team sports. Certainly, while there is an aspect of camaraderie in the dojo/dojang/kwoon/gym, at the end of the day, we're all solitary folk. We are responsible for ourselves, and our journeys are our own.

But that just makes y'all more awesome, because you decided to undertake your journey here, with me and Spaurrachio. Gotta say, he and I would train and egg each other on, but it would awkward as hell if it were just the two of us. To me, all y'all are what make these challenges fun, and even if I never say very much, I want you to know how very thankful I am for the richness with which you imbue my training.

Also, special thanks to everyone who follows my challenges, especially those of you who aren't in my guild. There is a lot that goes on in a given sub-community, but you stopped by to say hello and encourage me regardless. I'm always happy to see you guys in the feed, and I hope you enjoy the rantings and ravings of an itinerant Protestant monk.

Merry Christmas to all of you. I'm gonna go post up some stuff in the Holiday Mini, and I look forward to face-melting monkish rockage in the coming year.

• Like 1

Yay Kishi!  You did an awesome job in this challenge.  You had to drop some of your initial goals because your job situation got in the way.  In spite of that you kept up with working out and with supporting all of us here.  Most importantly, you learned from the difficulties of the last couple months and have a plan to move forward.  I'm looking forward to following your next challenge.

• Like 2

All right. Let's grade this bad boy.

GOAL 1: CCC - 24/24 - A - +1 STA, +2 STR

Maybe it's cocky of me to say this, but strength training requires no motivation for me at all. I just love it, and I honestly don't see myself making a goal of it again. No fear, folks, I'll still post my workouts - I'm arrogant that way - but I think the habit is suitably ingrained such that making a big deal of it isn't really productive anymore.

GOAL 2: Technical Work - 23/41 - D - +1.25 DEX

HAHAHAHA. Wow. Who'd have thought this would be too ambitious? Totally took me by surprise, but then, I thought I'd be spending my days at home, working on the computer and needing stand-up breaks from time to time. That did not happen. But I think this kind of skill work is integral for a martial artist, so I've gotta find a way to start doing this again, particularly since sensei has noted a retention of quality.

GOAL 3: Morning Mobility - 33/41 - B - +3 CON

Ah, now, this. I wish I'd done more of this. I seriously underestimated the stress of working UPS, and doing this - and doing more active recovery, for that matter - made a hell of a difference. This is something I want to work on more.

LIFE GOAL: Meditation - 36/41 - A - +3 WIS

This one was a real shocker for me too. I've tried meditation goals in the past, and they never stuck. Even when I was doing 'easy' meditations at one or two minutes twice per day. And I think I've noticed the benefits. I've started doing it right before going to bed, whilst throwing an ice pack across my back to help lower my core temperature. I'm out like a light, but for all I know that's also because of digesting dinner and body realizing "Holy crap, you exercised and did manual labor? WTF, bro. Go to sleep so I can fix this." I'm only too happy to oblige.

Way to rock things, Kishi, even if the technical stuff fell by the wayside.  I could pretty much always come in here and find some new technique that looked interesting.  Of which, those tiger walks/push-ups may have been attempted/shown off drunkenly at my friend's Xmas party.... *Ahem*  Anyway.  You've been dealing with a lot of crap, so I'm amazed you can keep up so many awesome things with SUCH motivation.  Especially since I look at myself who got dealt a crap hand and fell so far back because of it.  Truly inspirational, brothah.

AI also need to get martial arts back into my life on some level. I should never have bought into the lie that physical development came before my training. The reality is that they're one and the same, and I'm going to have to figure out how to get back into training not just on my own, but also in the dojo. It's not just a matter of cutting things out; it's a matter of getting to a place financially where I can afford to make it a non-negotiable part of my budget (tip of the hat to RP for that).

*Blush* It's nothing super special.  My budget isn't so crammed that I was forced to cut myself off as much as others.  I'm lucky that my previous base pay pretty much made it so my unemployment was more than I made as a graduate student...  I'm lucky, I won't deny that.  You managing two jobs, plus crazy amounts of training, is much more tip-of-the-hat worthy than my endeavors. :)

Yay Kishi!  You did an awesome job in this challenge.  You had to drop some of your initial goals because your job situation got in the way.  In spite of that you kept up with working out and with supporting all of us here.  Most importantly, you learned from the difficulties of the last couple months and have a plan to move forward.  I'm looking forward to following your next challenge.

Boy, me too! That's part of the reason I love this place - you can chronicle the journey and share it with others!

I'm glad you were here to share it with me.

Way to rock things, Kishi, even if the technical stuff fell by the wayside.  I could pretty much always come in here and find some new technique that looked interesting.  Of which, those tiger walks/push-ups may have been attempted/shown off drunkenly at my friend's Xmas party.... *Ahem*  Anyway.  You've been dealing with a lot of crap, so I'm amazed you can keep up so many awesome things with SUCH motivation.  Especially since I look at myself who got dealt a crap hand and fell so far back because of it.  Truly inspirational, brothah.

*Blush* It's nothing super special.  My budget isn't so crammed that I was forced to cut myself off as much as others.  I'm lucky that my previous base pay pretty much made it so my unemployment was more than I made as a graduate student...  I'm lucky, I won't deny that.  You managing two jobs, plus crazy amounts of training, is much more tip-of-the-hat worthy than my endeavors. :)

Haha! Drunken exercise at parties is the best. It's great to see people drunk!interested in a thing, and it's just fun to see what one can do when the crowd's on. Myself, I fantasize about doing a stand-to-stand bridge while holding a conversation with people at a party. Inspiring drunken party antics like a responsible guild leader, that's me. :D

Well, I won't deny that I love it when people tip their hats to me. I'm glad you think I'm worthy of it. It's something I try to be worthy of, because I have awesome monks like you and Cheech and everyone else to be in front of. Can't stand the thought of not measuring up to you and everyone else. :)

Hey Kishi, great challenge summary.  As always, you stand as an inspiration to us all, especially when we feel like things are too crappy to workout. 

• Like 1