• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Damaramu

So how do you do paleo if vegetables make you gag?

Seriously, if I try to eat most vegetables I gag. I really really hate most of them. I can eat broccoli and cooked carrots if I swallow them with a drink. I can't swallow them unless there is liquid washing them down. Same thing with raw spinach.

But those are like the only vegetables I can even begin to eat without gagging.

How do those of you that hated vegetables do the paleo diet? Do you just force yourself to shove them down or load up on the few you can stand?

It's a little bit of forcing at first, but eventually you learn to like different things. Particularly if your diet consisted of a lot of processed foods, your tastes and tastebuds will be conditioned to want other stuff, and not really like the veggies. Once you elminate those things and get used to th veggies, you'll generally like them more and more.

I hated veggies most of my life, but I kept trying different cooking methods, and kept making myself try things and eat the things that are good for me. I've discovered that I'll never like raw tomato, but I never would have guessed I would LOVE brussel sprouts. I just had to get out of my comfort zone a bit to find that out.

Start roasting them. Add garlic and you got a party.

+1.  Also, add sage or rosemary, or Chinese five spice (people don't trust me when I say that, but do it.  Your tastebuds will applaud)

You could make yourself a challenge - try one vegetable you've never tried before each week - and you have to cook it three ways in that week.  If, after that, it still tastes awful, then go ahead and cross it off the list, then pick another one.

Chop them up finely and mix them into burger patties, is another way to get yourself accustomed to them.  Gradually add more and more veg until you can actually taste them.

Get creative with sauces.  Learn how to make a kickass vinaigrette, or an amazing tahini satay sauce, or the best pesto ever.  Veggies don't have to be just their own flavour if you're creative enough.

Also, bacon makes everything better :P

I've trained myself to like certain vegetables. For example, when I first began eating better I absolutely loathed salads. I couldn't stand the lettuce, which kind of made liking salads difficult. But, I wanted to learn to enjoy lettuce so that i would have more options when eating out with my family.

Initially, I trained myself by making salads that weren't very salad like. They were pretty much bacon+hardboiled eggs+beets+a tiny bit of lettuce. For a few meals the lettuce annoyed me, but then I adjusted (bacon makes everything better).

Over a few more meals I changed the ratio of toppings to lettuce. Now I don't have a bowl full of toppings + lettuce, but rather a bowl full of lettuce+toppings. It took a little while, however now I really enjoy salads.

Sorry, that was kind of longer than planned. The point is - liking vegetables is achievable if you're willing to put in a bit of effort.

-Artemis

-sorry about any typos, sent from ipad

Try this- Chop up a whole head of cauliflower (toss the stems, just keep the florets) toss it in lots of olive oil and yellow curry powder. Throw in some nuts and raisins. Put it in a baking dish and roast at 500 for at least 45 minutes.

You can't not love this. My husband is very difficult when it comes to veggies. Always pushes them to the side of the plate, but not this cauliflower. I served this at a BBQ and all the certified "meat heads" loved it.

Also, soup is an excellent way to disguise lots of veggies. Just give yourself a chance to smell chopped onions sauteeing in lots of butter. Yum! Throw in whatever you have around- if you can tolerate broccoli, then use that, but try carrots, celery, green beans... and then add a lot of chicken stock and simmer it for a while. Plenty of salt and pepper. If you still can't take it, then dip an immersion blender in there and puree it, then add a bunch of cubed ham (already cooked) and give it a couple minutes to blend the flavors.

Souffles are much easier to make than they sound and can get some veggies into your system. Try this- Take 3 eggs, separate the yolks into one bowl and the whites into another. Careful not to get any yolk into the whites.

Now, mix your yolks with a tolerable cooked veggie - like broccoli or spinach. Add a bunch of yummy shredded cheese- whatever your favorite. Add salt and pepper. In your case, more salt will probably help. In your egg white bowl, take a blender with a whisk and stick it in there at highest speed and whip the whites till the look like shaving cream. Then you "fold" them into the yolk mixture.

Wash your hands then use your hand like a big spatula and keep folding the stuff together. The idea is to blend all the ingredients without flattening out the egg whites. Which is why you don't sir!

Pour the mix into 4 pint size souffle cups and bake at 350 for about 35 - 40 minutes. You can find much more detailed instructions online, but that's the gist of it. Super yum.

Some, like onions and bell peppers, you can chop up, mix into scrambled eggs, and spice up with Tabasco or another hot sauce.

A lot of others, like broccoli and cauliflower and squash and carrots and whatever you can think of, go well with a tasty olive oil, or some lemon juice and salt.

Others, like asparagus, are tolerable if you cover them with a basic tahini sauce.

Try sweet potato, diced, microwaved for 5 minutes in a covered pyrex dish, dashed with a little olive oil, and mixed with 5 strips of crisp, crumbled bacon.

Try kabocha or butterCUP or delicata squash, split down the middle, deseeded, cut into wedges, tossed in a gallon freezer bag (from Costco, in bulk) with the best olive oil you can find, sprinkled with salt, spread on a cookie sheet, and cooked for 30-45 minutes at 450 degrees or until turning golden brown.

I used to refer to eating veggies as "vegetable poisoning." If I can learn to eat vegetables, anyone can. So ... eat your veggies.

Edited by Jimbo

Seriously, if I try to eat most vegetables I gag. I really really hate most of them. I can eat broccoli and cooked carrots if I swallow them with a drink. I can't swallow them unless there is liquid washing them down. Same thing with raw spinach.

But those are like the only vegetables I can even begin to eat without gagging.

How do those of you that hated vegetables do the paleo diet? Do you just force yourself to shove them down or load up on the few you can stand?

Garlic butter. That stuffs like catnip for people, put a bit with your veg (say garlic butter melted onto carrots), it will still taste like the original vegetable, but it'll be alot more bear able! and more delicious too!

I throw mine in a blender, and mostly just drink it.

I also make a fist with my left hand and squeeze down on the thumb. It suppresses one's gag reflex. :tongue:

bacon grease. 

finding different ways to cook them.

then ask yourself : why am I going paleo

not to be sarcastic- but if you aren't agreeing with the process why are you forcing yourself? (Self reflection moment here)