Who shoots and/or hunts?

Gr8 b8 m8... Not biting

There's nothing to bite, and it's not bait.  The shooter is more important to accuracy than the gun.  Which isn't to say that the gun isn't important, just that it's not as important as the skill of the shooter. 

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

There's nothing to bite, and it's not bait.  The shooter is more important to accuracy than the gun.  Which isn't to say that the gun isn't important, just that it's not as important as the skill of the shooter.

It's true. You can give some people a M21A1 and they'll miss at 10 yards, but give some people the same gun and they'll hit the 10 ring at 1000.

• Like 1

OK, I'll bite. Heavier pistols with longer sight radius are intrinsically more accurate than light, short barreled pistols. Add to that the reduction in both recoil and middle flip and an argument for a smaller pistol falls flat for any reason besides ease of concealment.

Feats of accuracy are a lot easier to pull off at a range than they are in the field. When my life depends on it, I want as few potential pitfalls as possible.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

OK, I'll bite. Heavier pistols with longer sight radius are intrinsically more accurate than light, short barreled pistols. Add to that the reduction in both recoil and middle flip and an argument for a smaller pistol falls flat for any reason besides ease of concealment.

Feats of accuracy are a lot easier to pull off at a range than they are in the field. When my life depends on it, I want as few potential pitfalls as possible.

As I wrote above, I'm not saying the gun doesn't matter.  I'm simply saying that the skill of the shooter is a larger variable than the gun being fired.  

In a case where life depends on it, I agree with you 100%.  Which is one reason I refuse to carry anything with an external safety, but that's another discussion entirely. :P 

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Local shop just posted up that they've got S&W Shields for $375 OTD so I think I'll take a drive down there on Saturday and go ahead and make that purchase official. Still might buy that Canik Stingray so I have a subcompact polymer single stack and a stainless steel compact high cap. At the prices they're selling, and given that I just sold one of my watches on eBay, I think I can swing it.

• Like 2

5'11'' Male

SW: 251 | CW: 199 | GW: 175

Battle Log: Grifball's Freelancer Training

"I WILL EAT YOUR UNHAPPINESS." - Michael J. Caboose

I had a couple of trade offers for 1911s when I sold one of my rifles last week. I don't have anything else in .45 ACP, and I just don't really want to stock another caliber.

Also, Wednesday night trap at the club just started back up, so I'm a happy camper.

5'11'' Male

Go for the M&P Shield.  The best thing about the M&P is that it is NOT a glock (perfection...lol).  Of course you should use .40cal.  I carry a regular M&P .40 as my duty weapon.  Like I said...the best thing about the M&P is it is NOT a grock

1911... that would be the worlds most perfect handgun!!!  I have 2, a Springfield and my Grandfather's WW2 issue.  Both shoot awesome!!!   

• Like 1

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

I had a couple of trade offers for 1911s when I sold one of my rifles last week. I don't have anything else in .45 ACP, and I just don't really want to stock another caliber.

Also, Wednesday night trap at the club just started back up, so I'm a happy camper.

Really looking forward to getting out and shooting trap again. Sporting clays will be on deck this year too.

Really looking forward to getting out and shooting trap again. Sporting clays will be on deck this year too.

If you ever have the chance, go to Sparta, IL (a bit east of St. Louis.)  They have an AMAZING sporting clay facility there. 

• Like 1
64%
64%

Get Deadlift to 405 lbs for 2x6 - Current 260 lbs  2/16/14

Nah I live in the KC area.  My wife's family are all from west county St. Louis so we make regular trips to St Louis.

Good deal.  I live in StL.  If you're ever up here and have some free time hit me up.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Welp, I didn't end up buying the shield. The shop that was running a special on them was closed Saturday afternoon, so I went to a different shop that was open and running a different special on a different gun.

Drumroll, please...

drXXNDO.jpg

It's a Taurus! The Millennium G2 in 9mm.

I know, I know. It's a Taurus! But seriously, this gun has gotten some solid reviews and the issues are few and far between based on my research. At under $300OTD including a hundred rounds of ammo and a holster, I'm taking my chances on it.

First impressions, I really like it. It's marginally thicker than the shield, but carries an impressive 12+1 on board, while being significantly thinner than the G26. It's very comfortable and the grip texture is very aggressive. I don't worry about being able to hold onto it. It seems to point naturally, and I can't find anything to complain about in fit and finish. The manual safety I could do without and the "lock and key" safety like S&W revolvers had for a while I could REALLY do without, but I haven't heard about it locking without the key, so the key is in my safe to collect dust and never be used.

Have to get out to the range tonight if it's not raining and check accuracy and reliability, but for fit and finish, cost, capacity, and ergonomics, I'm giving it an 8.5/10 for the money.

• Like 3

5'11'' Male

Cheers, thanks. There are some other favorites out of frame, but that Four Roses Small Batch is the best bourbon I've ever tasted.

It's rare to see someone outside of Kentucky drinking from those bottles. Four Roses SB is my go to as well. If you can ever find a bottle of Pappy (Pappy Van Winkle) splurge on it. Its expensive ($150 last time I found it) and rare but you should try it if you can find it.

• Like 1

Level 6 - Scout

Challenges - Lost Diary of a Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

It's rare to see someone outside of Kentucky drinking from those bottles. Four Roses SB is my go to as well. If you can ever find a bottle of Pappy (Pappy Van Winkle) splurge on it. Its expensive ($150 last time I found it) and rare but you should try it if you can find it.

Oh, man. Haven't ever seen a bottle of Pappy for sale up here in Michigan. Saw a few in a bar in Chicago...$87 a pour. If I ever found one, I'd buy it without a second thought.

5'11'' Male

Well, it stopped raining briefly on Friday and I was able to get the new Taurus out to the range and put 50 rounds through it after work.

Updated thoughts:

The trigger travel is LONG. I think I had a birthday in between when I started pulling the trigger and when it went bang. Not a terrible thing, since in a self-defense scenario, you'll be pulling the trigger back rather urgently anyway, but when you have time to think about it, it feels pretty long.

The reset is short, which compared to the initial travel confused my finger. It'll take some getting used it.

The accuracy is great. It points intuitively and it's easy enough to get followup shots on target because the recoil is surprisingly manageable for such a small pistol.

No FTF or FTE in the first 50 rounds. I'll update if I encounter any problems in subsequent range trips.

• Like 3

5'11'' Male

Well, it stopped raining briefly on Friday and I was able to get the new Taurus out to the range and put 50 rounds through it after work.

Updated thoughts:

The trigger travel is LONG. I think I had a birthday in between when I started pulling the trigger and when it went bang. Not a terrible thing, since in a self-defense scenario, you'll be pulling the trigger back rather urgently anyway, but when you have time to think about it, it feels pretty long.

The reset is short, which compared to the initial travel confused my finger. It'll take some getting used it.

The accuracy is great. It points intuitively and it's easy enough to get followup shots on target because the recoil is surprisingly manageable for such a small pistol.

No FTF or FTE in the first 50 rounds. I'll update if I encounter any problems in subsequent range trips.

Thanks for the review!  Most DAO/striker fired pistols do have a long initial trigger pull since the trigger itself is one of the internal safeties.  It definitely takes some getting used to.  But it is nice to have that extra internal safety.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

The thing is, it's actually SA/DA, so you get about 3/4 of the first pull that's all slack and then the last 1/4 breaks very cleanly at about 4lbs single action. If you get a FTF, it automatically switches over to a 10lb double action pull. Makes me wish it had a decocker or a way to carry it in full DA, but I'll take the mile long trigger pull to get to the 4lb single action pull anyway. You could still carry it without the manual safety on I guess, given the trigger safety and long pull.

• Like 1

5'11'' Male

The thing is, it's actually SA/DA, so you get about 3/4 of the first pull that's all slack and then the last 1/4 breaks very cleanly at about 4lbs single action. If you get a FTF, it automatically switches over to a 10lb double action pull. Makes me wish it had a decocker or a way to carry it in full DA, but I'll take the mile long trigger pull to get to the 4lb single action pull anyway. You could still carry it without the manual safety on I guess, given the trigger safety and long pull.

I should clarify.  If it has a trigger safety (the extra little tang thingy built into the trigger), most of the pull is required to release the safety before firing, regardless of what action the gun operates as.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™