Darwinian Fitness -- The Demon takes on Recomposition

For those I haven't met yet, I'm a grad student who typically spends 8-10 hours a day at a computer and is stressed out most of the time from watching my vitality wither away as I try to make the next deadline. To combat my life behind the desk, I'm investing the metabolic/muscle gains from weightlifting. I've been training with the warriors here on NF.

I dove into Nerd Fitness over the summer and completed my first challenge in September. I started doing Stronglifts 5x5 during the first challenge and have been focusing on making strength gains in the gym. So far, it has worked, but I'm realizing that to fuel my workouts, and be simplistic about it, I need to eat MOAR. I started my first challenge 6 ft tall at 255 and got down to 248 by the end of it. By the start of my second challenge I started stalling a bit on my gains, losing sleep, and fatiguing fast during my workouts. So, I increased my calorie and protein intakes. Now I'm back up to 255-260 lbs. Its a stronger and leaner 255 than before my first challenge, but I still put an inch or two back on my waist. So, that's not gonna work for me.

Going forward I want to be torching the fat from by body and converting it to muscle. To do this, I need to take some serious steps to figure out my exact nutritional demands and balance that with the strength training I'm doing. I'm also going to be setting more medium term lifting goals here. What I can't do in 6 weeks, but maybe in 3-4 months.

That's what this battle log is about. Its going to take me more time than a six week challenge to figure it all out, so I'm going to be posting this for quite some time, tracking macros, workouts, and measurements, experimenting with new parameters and just figuring things out.

I am going to start with something simple. A 40/30/30% CHO/PRO/FAT daily macro split and continuing with stronglifts 5x5, plus a few extra exercises to supplement SL when needed.

• Like 1

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

Here's the general diet plan to start:

Everyday: 3000 calories, 40% from carbs, 30% from protein, 30% from fat

In grams per day that's: 300 CHO, 225 PRO, 100 FAT

That's a lot. I track these using MyFitnessPal.com

I calculated my daily calorie intake using an online calorie calculator:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

That's where I get the calorie intake from taking into account my workout routine. Again, I'm trying to keep it simple, and I assume there's quite a bit of error in the vague calculations this thing generates.

After my workout tonight I'll take some measurements. Weight, and caliper measurements from my chest, abdomen, and thigh, and use the Jackson/Pollack 3 measurement body fat % calculation.

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

I'll follow this diet plan for three weeks and redo the measurements. The plan is to convert body fat to muscle, so my body fat % measurements should go down, but weight loss should be minimal. Given where I'm starting, I'll accept a pound of loss per week as long as my strength is going up and BF% is going down. If I'm losing more than that I'll up my total calories by an appropriate amount depending on the loss for the next two weeks, and see what happens to the measurements. If I'm gaining I'll cut the intake similarly.

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

Yay!  Following!!! ^_^

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

I keep forgetting to explain the titles for my topics even though I name them with very specific meanings, usually with references to evolution and biology. In case it wasn't obvious, that's what I study.

Darwinian fitness, as you should know, is not just "the survival of the fittest." That was a phrase coined by the sociologist Herbert Spencer in relating natural selection to economics. Darwinian fitness is the ability to survive and reproduce...

So not just stronger, but sexier. That's what recomposition will do :D

--Stronkey Kong--

Anyway, now for the workout plan.

I'm doing Strong Lifts 5x5, one of the typical beginner strength training programs.

Details are on this site: http://stronglifts.com/

As of today, here is where I am:

Workout A:

Squat 225 lbs 5x5 (5 sets of 5 reps)

Bench Press: 145 lbs. 5x5

Pendlay Row: 145 lbs. 5x5

Workout B:

Squat 225 lbs. 5x5

Overhead Press 115 lbs. 5, 4, 3x2

Deadlift 225 lbs. 1x5

Basically, I'm just sticking to the program. I also do some occasional finishers, or other things to target specific accessory muscles or just to mix things up, but I keep these limited to a few exercises after I've done all the big ones listed above in each workout.

Also, I'm not increasing my squat weight for now until two things happen.

1. My form gets nice and solid. My left knee has been caving a bit. Its getting better though. At first I thought it might be the weight, but I think it has more to do with my stance width, foot angle, and where I'm pushing my knees during the squat. Also, I need to get more consistent about grip and bar position. I'm going for low bar, but I tend to ride a little bit high.

2. I hit a more balanced ratio on my lift weights. I am shooting for a DL:SQ:BP ratio of 5:4:3. I read somewhere that that is what Oly lifters shoot for... at least roughly. Also, OH press should be around 65% of my BP. Rows should be equal to or heavier than BP.

A 225 lbs squat at 5x5 is starting to get easy. I may have to at least increase the reps until I get to where I want to be for increasing the weight. We'll see.

--Stronkey Kong--

Here are the details of today's Workout:

Stronglifts workout B:

Squat:

warmup: 45# 2x5, 95# 1x5, 135# 1x5, 185# 1x5

workout: 225# 5x5 (less grunting than before, getting easier)

OH Press:

warmup: 45# 2x5, 65# 1x5, 85# 1x5

workout: 115# 5, 4, 3x2 ( I think this was more than last time)

Deadlift:

workout: 225# 1x5

Then called it a day for today. It was getting later and I was yawning between sets.

Today's Macros:

Cals.       CHO      FAT      PRO

Totals                   2,969      277        98        252      

Your Daily Goal    3,000      300        100      225    

Not too bad for the first day. Protein is a bit too high. I just need to work on stashing a few free calories so I can nudge things into place at the end of the day.

--Stronkey Kong--

Rest day today.

On macros: -1 Cals, +12g CHO, -7g PRO, +3g FAT

Not bad. Closer than yesterday.

Acceptable (+/- 10 g for macros, +/- 50 for cals)

Undergoal

Overgoal

Oh! I almost forgot. Measurments. Took them this morning because I forgot to after last night's workout.

Height: 6' 0"

Weight: 256 lbs.

Calipers:

Suprailliac/abdomen: 33 mm

Chest: 24 mm

Thigh: 44 mm

Body Fat%: 28.38

Lean Body Mass: 183.34 lbs.

I'll see where these are again on Monday.

• Like 1

--Stronkey Kong--

It might be hard to lose weight and inches with so much carbohydrate in your diet. It would be easier if you upped your protein, did not worry about naturally occurring fat, and kept your carbs to ca. 100g per day. You can eat more carbs than that, but it would be best if they were mostly low-glycemic carbs.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson

battle log  | current challenge

It might be hard to lose weight and inches with so much carbohydrate in your diet. It would be easier if you upped your protein, did not worry about naturally occurring fat, and kept your carbs to ca. 100g per day. You can eat more carbs than that, but it would be best if they were mostly low-glycemic carbs.

Thanks for dropping in Jimbo. I'll keep that in mind.

The ratios of macros I chose are actually the ones given by the "zone" diet, which is meant to burn fat. Hopefully combined with the increased calorie consumption and lifting big ass weights, this should turn my body into fat burning furnace that powers a muscle factory.

More importantly though, this is going to be one big, evolving experiment. I was doing lower carbs and higher protein before. It worked for me on the short term scale, but after a few weeks I tapered off and didn't have as much energy and drive at the gym.

No doubt though, if I start gaining body fat, carbs will probably be the first cut. But, I'll probably do refeeds every now and again.

Also, for carbs my priority is to get them from starchy vegetables, followed by whole grains, fruit, then keeping everything else to an absolute minimum.

I tried to add as little added fat as possible and if it is necessary, good oils (olive, sesame, safflower, sunflower).

Protein. 225g is really tough to get it all in without adding too much fat, or spending too much money. On top of that, I've also read that the body can only utilize about 8g per hour due to the rate of digestion and will convert it to fat quickly if its not used. If I could eat at regular intervals throughout a 24 hr. period, I still might only be able to get 192g of protein absorbed used in a day. 225g is a decent enough excess just to make sure I don't fall short of my needs.

I type this as I eat breakfast: 8.5 oz. of ham, 7.5 oz. of sweet potato, and a salad. (785/63/45/38)

--Stronkey Kong--

My internetz were down last night.

Yesterday's (11/7/2013) log:

Workout: SL A

Squat:

Warmup: 45# 2x5, 95# 1x5, 135# 1x5, 185# 1x2

Workout: 225# 5x5

Bench Press:

Warmup: 45# 2x5, 65# 1x5, 95# 1x5, 135#  1x2

Workout: 150# 5x5   (This is the workout I stalled on a few weeks ago. Today its done.)

Barbell Row:

Workout: 150# 5x5 (Again, stalled a few weeks ago, now done)

Power Clean (practice racking from hang position)

Workout: 45# 2x8

Really just playing around, trying to find my grip width. Got pretty close.

Macros:

+69 CALS, -14 CHO, +16 PRO, 0 FAT

Not too bad, but I still want to be more consistent than that when the challenge starts next week. I need to buy some pure macro foods to dial in at the end of the day.

Saltines = CHO

Butter/Oil = FAT

Whey = PRO

I need to stop using whey though. My digestive system does not like it. I'm maybe gonna switch to soy or egg protein. Maybe a carton of egg whites?

--Stronkey Kong--

You and I are running very similar goals right now so I'm gonna follow along.

I sympathize about the scrambling at the end of the day to fill in whatever is left. I've found honey is a good source for just CHO

Spoiler

Currently...

Playing (Video Game): RDR2

DMing: Tyranny of Dragons.  First session 11/29.

Broba Fett tracks em down.

Facebook (Personal)  Facebook (Author Page)

Past Challenges:

Today was rest day.

Macros:

-34 CALS, -9 CHO, +1 FAT, +8 PRO

All Green today!

You and I are running very similar goals right now so I'm gonna follow along.

I sympathize about the scrambling at the end of the day to fill in whatever is left. I've found honey is a good source for just CHO

Honey would be great! Its all sugar but mostly fructose so it doesn't spike the glycemic index as fast as sucrose or the others. And, my parents keep bees so I can get a few pounds for free when I'm home for Christmas.

Today I needed to finish with protein and carbs but had not room for fat. Finished with canned tuna, on tortillas, with some hoisin sauce. Delicious, and mostly CHO and PRO.

--Stronkey Kong--

Sub'd.  Your goals, approach, and current BF are very similar to mine.  I have been looking for awhile for a "peer" of sorts in that sense, so definitely interested to see how your approach goes.  I too feel like I am in an experimental phase trying to figure out what works for me as far as recomp goes.  I actually only have small differences.  I do max reps of 5x3 instead of 5 (adopted from Rippetoe), I am quite a bit shorter, a bit older, and doing a bit less fat.  I am also upping my calories this challenge.  I think if I read right on Donar's thread you said you had a new challenge up?  Gonna go look for it... Maybe add to siggy?  I will be with the Warriors this challenge too and will have my thread up on Saturday or Sunday after I can get in a full set of caliper measurements.  Good luck man!

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

Sub'd.  Your goals, approach, and current BF are very similar to mine.  I have been looking for awhile for a "peer" of sorts in that sense, so definitely interested to see how your approach goes.

Fork boy and Darwin, how would you both feel about a group for dudes looking to burn BF and build strength? Like a mini recomp guild. I've seen a few squads like that. Any interest from either of you if I can get something together?

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Fork boy and Darwin, how would you both feel about a group for dudes looking to burn BF and build strength? Like a mini recomp guild. I've seen a few squads like that. Any interest from either of you if I can get something together?

I'd follow and check-in.  I have a brigade already (see siggy) so can't promise dedication, sorry.  I end up having a shit ton of threads I follow and sometimes I miss check-ins.  I think the Warriors guild will be good as many people have these general goals.

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

Subbed. I like the amount of information on this thread, and your goals are very thought out. I'm always stuck at the end of the day, too, with a lack of calories and/or macros... so I'm curious to see if the late-night cramming works for you. 

I also agree with the higher amount of carbs even though you're trying to lean out. The amount of lifting you're going to be doing will benefit from the carbs, and you're having a steady rate of protein consumption too, although I'm curious why so low. Ideally, from what I've read, you should aim for 1g per lean lb of body weight. Are your increased carbs making up for the lack of protein?

Either way, excited I found this thread and looking forward to watching your progress.

Anything is possible for him who believes. (Mark 9:23)
"The wise man sees in the misfortune of others what he should avoid." -Marcus Aurelius
Current challenge
My Training
STR-10 DEX-6 STA-9 CON-4 WIS-16.5 CHA-5

If you start it I'm in. Groups are good starting point for networking. Either way, you guys will be on my radar. Rock on.

Sub'd.  Your goals, approach, and current BF are very similar to mine.  I have been looking for awhile for a "peer" of sorts in that sense, so definitely interested to see how your approach goes.  I too feel like I am in an experimental phase trying to figure out what works for me as far as recomp goes.  I actually only have small differences.  I do max reps of 5x3 instead of 5 (adopted from Rippetoe), I am quite a bit shorter, a bit older, and doing a bit less fat.  I am also upping my calories this challenge.  I think if I read right on Donar's thread you said you had a new challenge up?  Gonna go look for it... Maybe add to siggy?  I will be with the Warriors this challenge too and will have my thread up on Saturday or Sunday after I can get in a full set of caliper measurements.  Good luck man!

Cool. I have more fat in my macros, largely because I prefer lower carbs. The ups and downs of the glycemic roller coaster make managing diet difficult. For me its better to start with lower carbs and work up. Recomp is definitely about adapting your diet to your program, metabolism, and lifestyle. I anticipate that by new year we'll both be doing something different from now.

I think my challenge is already in my sig, but maybe its still linking to an old challenge. Let me know, and if its broken I'll try to fix it. Good luck to you to!

Subbed. I like the amount of information on this thread, and your goals are very thought out. I'm always stuck at the end of the day, too, with a lack of calories and/or macros... so I'm curious to see if the late-night cramming works for you. 

I also agree with the higher amount of carbs even though you're trying to lean out. The amount of lifting you're going to be doing will benefit from the carbs, and you're having a steady rate of protein consumption too, although I'm curious why so low. Ideally, from what I've read, you should aim for 1g per lean lb of body weight. Are your increased carbs making up for the lack of protein?

Either way, excited I found this thread and looking forward to watching your progress.

Glad to have you.

Carbs. Definitely. I was doing a more ketogenic diet at the end of my first challenge. Then, somewhere in my second I started stalling. Keto wasn't fueling my workouts well once I got up to higher weights. Plus, I got a little cocky and started making gains beyond my pay grade. That knocked me around a bit too. Overall, we'll see what happens. Its still an experiment, but I gotta say, my workouts this week definitely have more energy in them, and I'm pretty sure its from sticking to a consistent 40% of cals from carbs.

Protein. My lean body weight is between 180-190 lbs., so with 225g PRO that should be around 1.18-1.25g of PRO per lb of body weight.

--Stronkey Kong--

Good day today. After some post-work socializing (happy hour, but dry for me), I got in an evening workout. Pretty solid on my macros today.

Workout: SL5x5 B

Squat:

warmup: 45# 10x1, 95# 1x5, 135# 1x3

workout: 185# 5x5

I dropped the work weight from 225# to 185# for two reasons. 1) at 225# They were getting easier because I was rounding my back to get low. aka butt wink. When I straighten out more, they are tougher. Plus my knees cave occasionally. These are all signs that its just too much for now. 2) I have my goal of getting a more balanced ratio of 3 BP : 4 SQ : 5 DL. This puts my squat roughly in the middle of the two, so now I can get back to training linear gains from there.

Overhead Press:

warmup: 45# 10x1, 65# 1x5, 95# 1x3, 105# 1x2

workout: 115# 5, 3, 1, 2, 1

Ugh! I hate OHPs. They always stall because they are somewhat limited by what you can bench as well. Anyway, I'll just keep doing them until they move up, even though its always slower. Also, my last warmup was to close to work weight. Should have gone from 95# right to work weight.

Deadlift:

workout: 235# 1x5

Tough as always, but form felt good and solid.

Power clean:

Hang to rack practice: 8x2

Better than last time. Dinged my collar bone on one or two reps. Moved my grip around a bit to see what works best. Still kinda finding it.

Macros:

+11 CALS, +2g PRO, +12g CHO, -9g FAT

I went to the grocery store at like 10pm because I forgot to let my package of chicken leg quarters start thawing this morning. Just bought some new ones. Had to get some meat because I was lagging on PRO today by about 100g.

--Stronkey Kong--

Glad to have you.

Carbs. Definitely. I was doing a more ketogenic diet at the end of my first challenge. Then, somewhere in my second I started stalling. Keto wasn't fueling my workouts well once I got up to higher weights. Plus, I got a little cocky and started making gains beyond my pay grade. That knocked me around a bit too. Overall, we'll see what happens. Its still an experiment, but I gotta say, my workouts this week definitely have more energy in them, and I'm pretty sure its from sticking to a consistent 40% of cals from carbs.

Protein. My lean body weight is between 180-190 lbs., so with 225g PRO that should be around 1.18-1.25g of PRO per lb of body weight.

Oops, my bad, I completely misread your PRO intake. For some reason I thought it was 140ish. Sorry about that. 

On Keto- I agree with you. I did that for a while when it was straight Paleo, and I never got past the feeling exhausted stage, and definitely wasn't in the position to make gains in my lifts. Switched to the high carb work days, low carb/higher fat rest days and have been making alot more progress. Makes me wonder, though, if I'm making some cocky gains and should back up. 

Good on deloading the weight. Form is definitely more important than looking like a cool bro at the gym :P

Anything is possible for him who believes. (Mark 9:23)
"The wise man sees in the misfortune of others what he should avoid." -Marcus Aurelius
Current challenge
My Training
STR-10 DEX-6 STA-9 CON-4 WIS-16.5 CHA-5

They always stall because they are somewhat limited by what you can bench as well.

That is why I'm giving 5/3/1 a try. You lift much lower weight than you are capable of most of the time, with the focus on hitting new rep maxes every day on your last working set.  Supposed to help you keep making gains without stalling.

Good job on the macros yesterday. I'm going to ask around and see if I can get a couple other guys interested in a group.  If so, I'll try to get one made this weekend.  If not, no biggie I suppose.

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges: