• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Shogun

Operation Impending Doom II

Oh man, the sugar goal... and I love your "no phone before bed/computer in the morning" rule. That's definitely a goal I may steal from you in the future.

#yougotthis #impenddoomonall

Thank you for all your good wishes and energies!

I was studying some ninja scrolls today, and I was reading about REISHIKI (etiquette) and I noticed something that we do in japanese and some chinese martial arts. In Ninjutsu at the beginning of every lesson, we bow to each other and say "Onegaishimasu" and at the end "Arigatogozaimashita". We ask and we thank our teachings, a few days ago I finished writing my personal manifesto —I titled The Warrior's Manifesto— and one of the things I wrote was that I wanted to approach my challenges, look them calmly into their eyes and smiling say "Thank you for all that you're about to teach me".

So, I'd like to start this challenge by Thanking all my goals and all my monks for what you're about to teach me. 

With that said. time to report on my missions.

OPERATION IMPENDING DOOM II: MISSION REPORT 1

MISSION ONE: VICTORY!!!!!!!!!

Well, that was easy. But mainly because I kept myself busy... I had a cup of black coffee but used honey and didn't dislike it. But I fear for those days when I'm idle and opportunity presents itself in a coke or some dessert my sister made. I shall prepare myself for that moment.

MISSION TWO: There are many mysteries still unsolved. I figure, you know... I'll do some of that.

Ninjutsu training day is tomorrow. But I got some ninja study. Preparation for my mission tomorrow, I guess. 

MISSION THREE: Your methods are stupid; your progress has been stupid; your intelligence is stupid!

Well I woke up and got my yoga fix and did some salutations and meditation. And I just added a pose —Supta Padangusthasana if you must know— to help with the ciatica that has been bothering me lately. 

At 11, (before lunch-end-of-fast) I worked out. I did 5 mins of jumping rope but I did a poor job since someone was there talking with me and I didn't want to be rude, but the person got the message and walked away... after I was finished. I went tru week 2, Day 3 of my Hundred Push-Ups Challenge and made sure to stretch after working out. My exercises are getting too easy for me, so I'll change my routine to make sure to use harder exercises.

MISSION FOUR: Aww, but I wanted watch the Scary Monkey Show!

I still have 5 minutes left before I have to put my computer and iPhone away. but I wanted to catch up with some series =( I used up all my free time answering threads and having a good time in here. But I woke up today feeling very tired... and I promised myself it'd be the last day I'd feel that way. 

So...

See ya!

G'nite! Don't let the flesh eating demon bed babies bite! (Ok, that's just from Johnny The Homicidal Maniac... but it's Jhonnen Vasquez still). 

Infinite Doom? That's way doomier than Impending Doom!

I CAN'T TAKE IT! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

funny-gif-guy-jumps-out-window.gif

(anyway, looks like things are off on the right track. Good start!)

That sugar is a real enemy isn't it but I know you can beat it!  I did the cut back on sugar goal during the last challenge and it was much easier as the 6 weeks went on.  If I wanted something sugary, I would just have something like one bite size candy bar and then I was fine.  I have cut down on my sugar intake by at least 50% if not 75%.  

Good luck with all your goals!

Hey man, I want to see that manifesto when you get done with it! I wouldn't push it too much on the push up owrkouts (lol) as it is going to get harder pretty quick. I am in the middle of the 20 pull up challenge and was tempted to skip some steps the first two weeks, but now that I am on week three I am glad I didn't! Anyway, good luck as always my fellow latino whovian!

Great start! :D

sin azucar es muy dificil!!!! :(

More power to you, brother.

(Kishi, your gif looks strangely fun.....)

Mmmmm... do we have a languages thread in the off topic forum? a place where we can practice our languages. It'd be great, don't you think?

Whoah backtrack a second. How on earth did you manage to survive without a computer for A YEAR?!

Well... I'm a bit of a minimalist (I don't own a TV, either) so I read... and write A LOT, and regarding social networks and the forums, having an iPhone and learning to do almost everything with it helped. I used to have an office with a computer so I used it from time to time but... it didn't feel ethical. The worst thing was that I could barely participate in the forums. it doesn't feel the same from Tapatalk. But the most important thing is YOU'RE IN MY THREAD! Now I'm the one flattered. How's the burlesque goal going? I'm a huge Dita Von Teese's fan. 

Hey man, I want to see that manifesto when you get done with it! I wouldn't push it too much on the push up owrkouts (lol) as it is going to get harder pretty quick. I am in the middle of the 20 pull up challenge and was tempted to skip some steps the first two weeks, but now that I am on week three I am glad I didn't! Anyway, good luck as always my fellow latino whovian!

Caponerd! Old friend, I'm so glad you're here! I don't know most of these guys... )

Well... The manifesto is written in Spanish... and I'm too stage frightened to show it yet, I'd have to translate it. It's the second time I do the push-up challenge (first time I failed) and I started small because I know it gets harder the second and third week. I'm starting week three on Friday. (I started on a Wednesday). 

Infinite Doom? That's way doomier than Impending Doom!

I CAN'T TAKE IT! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

funny-gif-guy-jumps-out-window.gif

(anyway, looks like things are off on the right track. Good start!)

Nooooo, don't do it, Kishi. I can't handle the guild by my own, I don't know half the guild! Next Challenge should be called "Bring the Old Monks back".

YAY for a great Day 1. I am sure when you see this tomorrow, day 2 will be starting off awesome.

Thank you! I failed on a goal on Day 2 by not being aware =( bad, bad monk. But Day 3 it's been awesome!

That sugar is a real enemy isn't it but I know you can beat it!  I did the cut back on sugar goal during the last challenge and it was much easier as the 6 weeks went on.  If I wanted something sugary, I would just have something like one bite size candy bar and then I was fine.  I have cut down on my sugar intake by at least 50% if not 75%.  

Good luck with all your goals!

Thank you. Later on, I'll try to use the energy of my enemy in my favor. Whenever I want something sugary or need a motivation boost I'll do what this fascinating article says. For those who don't have the time to read the article it says that simply swishing a glucose-laden drink in the mouth and spitting it out boosts self-control and willpower for tasks from squeezing a handgrip to completing impossible brain teasers. I'm curious about it and will try it, maybe by the end of the challenge. 

Woot woot!

Woot!

OPERATION DOOM MISSION REPORT - DAY THREE

Goal One: NO SUGAR.

I failed yesterday, and in the most stupid way. Someone offered me a candy and I completely forgot about the goal - it's normal... when someone offers you a candy, you take it, no big deal- until it was in my mouth and I remembered and spit it out (without being seen) but there was sugar in my system already. (And the candy wasn't that good either). But today I've had none.

Does rum have sugar in it? I'm going out for a few drinks on Friday and our favorite drink is rum... (we're not pirates... it's just that the national rum is very good... think of it as a Mexico-Tequila, Japan-Sake situation)... but considering what Rum is made of... I don't know. 

Goal Two: I've implemented the Junan Taiso ( you can call it "the warm up" but it's more than that... I know some martial arts have it too... ) exercises from Ninjutsu to my workouts warm-up and practiced the first and main kata. Sanshin no Kata (Or Gogyo no Kata). A kata based on the six elements (earth, water, fire, wind, and void).

Goal Three:  Did my workout for today, I really want to beat my old planks PR (1min) and improve on it. I did my jump rope as part of my warm-up too and I'm getting better at it too (I don't have any coordination at all... that's why I don't dance unless I'm pretty drunk which is a little shameful for me being Hispanic). I just need a clear mind and focus (I'm a monk... I have to turn it all into a meditation).

Goal Four: I've put away my phone these two days, I've stayed in the dark listening to my new favorite podcast "The Faculty of Horror" (big horror fan) and set my alarm at 7:00am. The result? Waking up on my own at 6:30 LIKE A F*CKING NINJA. It felt awesome to wake up with energy, 30 mins earlier (enough to do MOAR yoga) and turn off the alarm clock BEFORE it goes off... =D

So far, so good! Tomorrow I'll train some cardio and moar ninjutsu. The good thing of updating this early (7:00pm) is that I still can read your replies and threads before the cellphone deadline.

Btw... Totally unrelated question, who's from Canada?

Well, Shogun, rum and alcohol in general is tricky. It isn't technically a sugar, but when the body metabolizes and breaks it down, it gets treated like a sugar does. And apparently, insulin doesn't react quite so well to it as it should with good old carbohydrates.

On the other hand, though, one can allegedly drink red wine without any consequences, and that's essentially the same thing on a molecular level. So I really don't know. If you can get your drink on and leave it there, and stay on the course in the meantime, then I don't see why not... but then, you have to be the one to live with it, so it's really up to you.

Also, yay for beating the alarm!

i think it depends entirely on your definition of sugar for this challenge - is it sugar in all of its forms (cos alcohol of any kind is out - ethanol is at its base, sugar), or is it processed sugar, or candies and cakes and added sugar (cos then it's ok). Maybe by defining what no sugar is for this challenge, will help put things in categories (cos honestly if you're going for sugar in any form, you'd have to cut out fruit too #justsaying).

And great going on the alarm thing.  I beat it this time last year, but suddenly a few months ago it became incredibly difficult to get out of bed no matter the quality of my sleep or the time i went to bed (i generally don't use tech before bedtime anyway, i work through a routine - kinda like chore meditation).

Well, Shogun, rum and alcohol in general is tricky. It isn't technically a sugar, but when the body metabolizes and breaks it down, it gets treated like a sugar does. And apparently, insulin doesn't react quite so well to it as it should with good old carbohydrates.

On the other hand, though, one can allegedly drink red wine without any consequences, and that's essentially the same thing on a molecular level. So I really don't know. If you can get your drink on and leave it there, and stay on the course in the meantime, then I don't see why not... but then, you have to be the one to live with it, so it's really up to you.

Also, yay for beating the alarm!

I do love red wine... and it's not that expensive —compared with rum here—. I might have a drink or two and stay on course and then study the posibility of switching to wine and live with the never-ending mockery. I'm up for it. 

i think it depends entirely on your definition of sugar for this challenge - is it sugar in all of its forms (cos alcohol of any kind is out - ethanol is at its base, sugar), or is it processed sugar, or candies and cakes and added sugar (cos then it's ok). Maybe by defining what no sugar is for this challenge, will help put things in categories (cos honestly if you're going for sugar in any form, you'd have to cut out fruit too #justsaying).

And great going on the alarm thing.  I beat it this time last year, but suddenly a few months ago it became incredibly difficult to get out of bed no matter the quality of my sleep or the time i went to bed (i generally don't use tech before bedtime anyway, i work through a routine - kinda like chore meditation).

Well, not ALL kinds of sugar. Zooey Deschanel still counts.

You can give yourself a break with that maybe, as long as it is occasional. You don't strike me as the type to treat himself to a glass every evening. Treat yo' self!

* still singing * 'Cause I'm in shoo-shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo-shoo shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo, shoo-shoo sugar town.

Oh, what? No. I'm not. If it weren't for my drinking buddy who happens to be my brother-in-law I'd only drink on birthdays, Christmas and every time I meet with my friends. Hermits United, we meet up every ten years, swap stories, mostly about caves. It's good fun, for a Hermit.

OPERATION IMPENDING DOOM II — MISSION REPORT

Today was just a little boring, uninteresting day... except for THE NIGHT OF THE DOCTOR who actually kept me from studying all morning. (For those who don't know I'm studying another major. First one was Modern Languages. Now, Education. College Education is not that expensive here —but it's totally not the same—. And every morning after my morning "ritual" I sit down to study for two or three hours and then I workout before lunch to end of my fast).

GOAL ONE: No sugar. But again, the opportunity hasn't presented itself. I was on auto-pilot and made myself a cup of coffe and before I know it I was putting sugar in it... sneaky bastard. I threw it away and served me another cup. I think I'm gonna add bread to the list, I'm getting quite addicted to it, and there's never a shortage of it in the house.

GOAL TWO:  Junan Taiso "Warm Ups", Sanshin no Kata (trained in different ways: against a wall, in all directions, slowly, fast, with a book in my head, with eyes-closed, etc) and Jump Rope Cardio. 

GOAL THREE: Did my workout too, not many improvements showing but I'm aware it takes time to show results. What's your opinion on Planks? I read this and found it interesting. 

GOAL FOUR: You know what really grinds my gears? The urge to know something and have to wait until your allowed time to turn on your cellphone and find out. I wasn't aware of how much we are used to have instant access to unlimited information. But sure it's funny to watch the urge come and go, like clouds in the sky. That's one thing I'm thankful today: the teachings of meditation. So, yes. I went to bed at the appropriate time, woke up by my own again and did my whole morning ritual with my cellphone turned off, I turned on to study and thanks to SPOILER ALERT The War Doctor SPOILER ALERT didn't do any studying.No computer after noon is quite easy... maybe because I'm used to living without a computer already.

I did the same kind of thing that you did with the candy. It sucks when you do something and then realize that it goes against a goal. ARG! Rum is on the more sugary side of "hard" alcohol, but I would think as long as you had it without added sugar you would be OK. And on the planks, I like them because they are easy on my back. They are not amazing and switching between pushups and planks is pretty awesomely hard.

Well, when it comes to planks, it's like Martin Rooney said. A push up is a plank that moves, so if you're going to be in that position anyway, you might as well get some extra training out of it. It makes sense.

Kavadlo would say that you should use the planks to train the proper form for a push up, and then once you can hold it for sets of 30, you're ready to move on. Of course, there's lots of different things you can do with 'em too, so they don't have to be just the plank.

Are they overrated? I don't think so. Are they over-prescribed? After reading the article... probably so.

Hm... I am doing planks in my current challenge, but I am doing crunches as part of the same workout. I'll let you know more at the end, but so far I can't complain about the results, on the mornings I do my ab workouts I tend to have less back pain. I can see how Herculean feats of plank endurance can be kind of pointless but I really don't think they are worth giving up all together. In other words, if they are helping, why stop? 

Quick midday update!

I found an article what pretty much tells what we already know, why is so important to have plenty of sleep. But you can add it to your arsenal of scientific bases to your arguments.

Yeeeah, science! 

Also, I want to play Teemo. Anyone interested?

Planks are boring! There are so many more fun core exercises to do. :) But it depends on the goal too. For example I've started doing a plank variation (pointed toes, arms straight, fully open shoulders) to improve my handstands. But a 5 minute plank feels like a huge waste of time any day... 

Quick midday update!

I found an article what pretty much tells what we already know, why is so important to have plenty of sleep. But you can add it to your arsenal of scientific bases to your arguments.

Yeeeah, science! 

Also, I want to play Teemo. Anyone interested?

Don't have an iphone, plank you very much.

Planks are boring! There are so many more fun core exercises to do. :) But it depends on the goal too. For example I've started doing a plank variation (pointed toes, arms straight, fully open shoulders) to improve my handstands. But a 5 minute plank feels like a huge waste of time any day... 

I'm just hitting back my old time of 1 minute and then look for fun ways to work my core, I'm thinking on inversions, yoga poses, dragon flags.

Cheechoe, I do but no one wants to play with me =(

So! I haven't updated in a while, mostly because there hasn't been a lot to update, but that's not that bad thing.

Here, in land down under, once the holidays season is beginning one of the traditions we have is to totally redecorate the house, or a big part of it. This year we went Extreme Makeover and did a deep cleaning weekend. Since I'm the young and strong man of the house *snorts* I've been doing all the hard stuff, including moving all the furniture and painting all the house. I've take it as a part of my training (Karate Kid, anyone remember?).

Since we moved everything it meant no internet for a time, so I was unable to update during the weekend. Things went back to normal yesterday but I was too tired and sore to force myself to update. The Hundred Pushups is getting hard but I enjoy to see my progress. (Currently in Week 3, Day 2). Also, I've been over thinking my workouts. I'll stick to what I'm doing right now but I think I'll follow my suspension trainer program next challenge and simplify things.

Not eating sugar has been easy except for coke, there's one in our fridge almost every day and it's hard to say no to something you've been used to drink all the time. Also people look at you funny. Some days I have succeeded, some others I have not.

Bread is also hard to ignore, since it's a big part of our routine as a family, we wander around the living room telling each other how was our day and eating bread and coffee as an early dinner, usually because everyone's so tired to cook... but since I'm staying home all day, I'll try to change that by cooking dinner for all of us.

The good thing is that I usually go to bed so tired that I've been getting plenty of rest and sleep and since I'm home all day, I can catch a few naps from time to time.

Let's review my progress for today.

MISSION ONE: Today, in spite of the coke in my fridge and the chocolate bar my sister gave me, I haven't had any sugar. (Anyone want free chocolate?).

MISSION TWO: An hour of Ninjutsu for me today. I miss training with a partner. I'll try to get a friend to train with me.

MISSION THREE: As part of my workout today, I did 20 minutes of yoga and 30 minutes of heavy bag: 5 3-minutes rounds with one minute rest between them. I use my heavy bag as a therapy from time to time. I'm an introvert (INTJ) and sometimes I have a hard time expressing my feelings of anger, so I take it out with my heavy bag and it makes me feel a lot better. It's a great workout because doesn't give time to my brain to deceive me on goin' easy or resting more... those thing don't matter when you're angry.

MISSION FOUR: Well, I've been doing good in this one too. Except on Saturday I stayed until lated to watch "The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh" but I regret nothing. It was such a great movie (for me) that made me think of Doctor Who and The Weeping Angels and also made me feel uneasy and scared without all the gore and blood and slasher horror movies cliches. lf you're a big fan of horror like me, you're gonna enjoy the movie. If not, don't watch it... you're gonna hate me afterwards.

So, I gotta start cooking dinner for my whole family, look for a ninjutsu partner to teach him, apply the "keep it simple, stupid" rule to my workout and start watching better movies. I'll try to do that this week! Also, I don't plan to follow the last goal on Saturday, probably won't sleep at all watching the 50TH DOCTOR WHO ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL over and over again.

=D

Allon-sy!

Damn, I gotta catch up with all the Whovians here. I finished off Netflix eps., but, still behind.

Nice job fighting off the food temptations. Also, wrath is useful for training with a bag, or on your own, where you can't hurt someone with it. It's good stuff; makes the training a lot more intense, and honestly I think it might even help the mind-body connection, which makes things even better.