Paradigm Gets Bendier!

Paradigm

Hi there, thanks for dropping by!

I'm Paradigm and this is my fourth challenge! In my last challenge I noticed that I had lost a lot of flexibility that I took for granted over the last year and all the travelling. So I worked pretty hard to change it, I am going to continue on this path for this challenge. I also want to keep losing weight and get wedding dress ready! 

My Main Quest:

Well, I have the same goal but really two quests. I am trying to get my flexibility back and hope that it helps my long term pain levels. Along with that, I am looking to get in amazing shape for my future wedding. It is a bit further off, in 2015. But I hope to achieve my weight loss goals before the end of 2013 anyways so the rest will be toning, working on muscle building and just improving.  So... to clarify... My main quest is to be able to fit in to my jeans, my favourite jeans from when I was 18. 

The Holy Trinity (Three goals):

1) Able to do splits! ( +2 DEX + 3 CON if recieve a grade B or higher)

I have always been very flexible. Even when I was at 230lbs and hadn't worked out in years, I never lost the flexibility I had since I was a kid. I think it was due to sitting in weird positions, years of horseback riding and gymnastics, and stuff like that. But this year we lost the baby like I mentioned in my first challenge and also did a long road trip. The two, my body recovering and the loooottsss of sitting seem to have taken the flexibility from my mid section and lower back. Legs still seem fine though. So I want to be able to get to splits again as it requires lots of flexibility!

• Grade A - Can get into the full splits
  • Grade B - Front split, not the side
  • Grade C - Close to the ground, but no go for splits
  • Fail - Unable to get bendy

2) P90X Routines! (+1 CHA +1 WIS + 2 DEX if receive grade B or higher)

Way back when I was thinner, I used to do P90X, recently I've been trying out a gym to see which I prefer. The answer is that I have trouble committing to gym memberships of a year (which is all that's around near where I live) as I know we're not going to be here for another 12 months. So anyways, I would like to continue on the workout path and P90X achieved incredible results for me.

• Grade A - Do the P90X as detailed by the P90X program
  • Grade B - Do P90X and miss a single day a week
  • Grade C - Anything less

3) Weight to 168lbs (+4 STR +2 DEX + 2 STA + 1 WIS on grade B or higher)

I had huge success in the last challenge, but I still have a long way to go. So I'm hoping that rather than an inches measurement I can set a weight loss one. I'm hoping that I can make it to this one because I want very badly to get into the range of 160s, it'll be a huge milestone for me. I haven't been there in a long time. 

Side Quest:

My life related side quest is to have a 5k bank balance again, as we lost a lot of money with the move and the paying off of debts! We also only need 14k to make it viable to start the move back to Europe, so money is a huge focus for this quest. Sooner we have the money the sooner we're back with our pets and not missing chunks of their lives and setting up our true home.

• Grade A - Somehow make a miracle and get 14k +
  • Grade B - 5k+ in the account
  • Grade C - 4k in the account

Side Quest 2: 

To truly experience BC. I want to visit the sites, do the hikes, see all there is to see. I am excited to do this one!

My Motivation(same as last time):

I already hinted at it... But I've had a rough time in life. Not all bad or anything but I have been through a lot, especially over the last few years. I now have a business, which is my dream. I'm working on a video game with some friends which is going to launch soon, another dream. I'm getting married to an man who makes my past seem like it was all worth it just so I found him. Now my motivation is to feel comfortable in my skin. I feel like I am not the person I want to be, despite all my changes because I don't feel comfortable with how I look. I have always had a hard time realizing that I am better than I think I am, because even when I was skinny as hell I thought I was fat. So it's why it's not necessarily a weight goal but a comfortable in my skin. I want to feel good about myself and I want to look absolutely f'in killer at my wedding! (I'll stop mentioning it soon it's still just very exciting to me lol)

Reward:

If we hit the goals here we can begin our road trip across North America and back to Ontario to retrieve the pets and head over to Europe to set up our permanent home. I think that's a pretty fing awesome reward!!

Lvl. 10 Half-Elf Assassin

My Current Challenge

My Daily Battle Log

The Stats: 

June 3rd                        June 16th                     Oct 22                       Oct 27

Weight: 217lbs                 203lbs                            185lbs                       183lbs
Hips: 42"                            40.5"                               35.7"                         35.6"

Waist: 38"                           34"                                 31"                            31"

Thighs: 25.5"                    25.3"                               24.2"                          24.1"

Calves: 17"                        17.1"                              16.7"                          16.7"

Chest: 42"                         40.5"                               38"                             38"

Arms: 14.5"                        14"                                 13.7"                          13.7"

Neck: 15"                           14"                                 13.9"                          13.9"

Forearms: 9.8"                   9.8"                                 9.7"                           9.7"

Shoulders: 45"                  43.2"                               40"                             39.5"

My Current Challenge

My Daily Battle Log

Good luck with your goals! Getting more flexible is definitely something I want to tackle in the future but losing weight and building muscle are gonna come first for me. It's my first challenge as an assassin (second total) so I'm excited to be a part of a smaller community.

Well we'll definitely look forward to having you! The assassins are an amazing group of people. 

My Current Challenge

My Daily Battle Log

Sub'd again! :)

:D Same here, you shall be stalked!

Got your pretty face all bookmarked so I can follow from over there by the scouts

(sorry for short replies, spelling derps and autocorrect funsies, sent from phone)

Aww thanks! But you left for the scouts? That's sad :( But at least we still can stalk eachothers threads! 

stalking for awesome.

As long as you bring cookies, I'm ok with stalking. :P

My Current Challenge

My Daily Battle Log

I might just return to the assassins next challenge! Concentrating on running a lot this challenge, so the scouts seemed the right place! 

Won't prevent me from stalking you all and hanging around in the assassin forums though ;)

DANCING_COOKIE.gif

Is that a good enough cookie for stalking from another guild? :P

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

apfelstrudi learns to outrun shamblers | Instagram challenge

Good luck with your challenge. Looks like we have some similar goals. Subscribed!

Cavilie - Level 4 Assassin

Chapter 1 | Chapter 2 | Chapter 3 | Chapter 4

Handstand PVP

7 WIS|2 STA|4.25 CHA|7.75 DEX|1 CON|3.75 STR

"If you can’t take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It’s not safe out here. It’s wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it’s not for the timid."

Q, Star Trek: The Next Generation ('Q Who?')

I might just return to the assassins next challenge! Concentrating on running a lot this challenge, so the scouts seemed the right place! 

Won't prevent me from stalking you all and hanging around in the assassin forums though ;)

DANCING_COOKIE.gif

Is that a good enough cookie for stalking from another guild? :tongue:

That's a pretttyyyyy awessommee cookie! I will come stop by your thread in a moment for that! hehe

Good luck with your challenge. Looks like we have some similar goals. Subscribed!

Nice to meet you! Will definitely stop by your challenge as well :)

My Current Challenge

My Daily Battle Log

Hello again. :)

I've always had a lot of fun with P90x, but I've never managed to complete a full 90 days. Did you complete the full program the last time?

Hey Lex!

I did actually. This was before my injury got really bad, when I fit into the jeans haha. I did the full 90 days and pretty much wanted to die by the end of the 90 days. The reason was because I wasn't monitoring my diet as I should have, which is extremely important when doing a rigorous workout program. So I was undereating and basically being stupid about it. But I saw amazing results, though I think they would have been better if I was eating correctly.

It's a good program though and I love that I can do it from home!

My Current Challenge

My Daily Battle Log

The Holy Trinity (Three goals):

1) Able to do splits! +2 DEX + 3 CON if recieve a grade B or higher)

I'm doing yoga today and noticing some improvements in the flexibility, though I feel I haven't been giving my all to working out and yoga to be quite honest. So much else on our plates I've had a hard time balancing it all, so I'm trying to make this a priority as life settles.

2) P90X Routines! (+1 CHA +1 WIS + 2 DEX if receive grade B or higher)

I'm not starting on this until tomorrow, as I wanted to give my body a bit of a break from working out for a day or two. I was beginning to feel sluggish.

3) Weight to 168lbs (+4 STR +2 DEX + 2 STA + 1 WIS on grade B or higher)

Well, already success on this! I stopped drinking soda of all sorts about 2.5 weeks ago. I've had massive withdrawal and it has sucked pretty hard. That being said, I'm also trying to get myself used to drinking just plain water, as I always havent liked it much. My entire life. So I drink tea or water (no flavouring). This has been a struggle, but is now a lot easier. I've noticed that I'm losing .2-.4 lbs a day just by the removal of soda from my diet. It's insane, though it makes sense to be honest.

I'm sure it will slow down over time, but it's going well so far and making me happy. 

Side Quest:

So my side quest is to make money as we had those financial restrictions keeping us from getting to the EU/UK. But we found a loophole as I mentioned which makes it... far, far easier for us to get home. In about two weeks I'll have about 8-9k in the bank account it's looking like. Now, we were at a point where we were like do we pay the 1.4k and file your (Kai's) canadian sponsorship application, and then wait the 6-9 months it will take to hear back... Or... Do we take the money we would have had to spend on computers and furniture as well as the visa and leave before his current visa expires. This is a tough decision since we're sort of just getting settled here but we can't settle properly since we know we're leaving as soon as we can. We made pro and con lists, worked out the financials, and funnily enough because of how expensive it is to live in Vancouver vs where we'd be going, it makes more financial sense to leave when my next several pay cheques come in. 

As per the Surinda Singh clause, if we go to an EU country and live and work for 3 months, we will then be able to move to the UK and exercise my treaty rights well... his treaty rights if I'm phrasing that correctly. So rather than the whole process taking 9-24 months. We can get this all done in about 4-6. Much better when you cosnidering we're missing our animals lives as they stay with my parents while we sort our permanent location out.

So we decided we're going to fly to Paris on Christmas as it's cheap flights. We're going to stay there for a few days and visit with my best friend and maid of honour. And then we're going to fly to Ireland, where we'll exercise his treaty rights and we already have some jobs booked... or at least tentatively. It's not a decision we're making lightly. I think I can convince my employer to continue to allow me to freelance if I'm over there as I'll be close to their European base. But it is a risk we won't be able to maintain it. Though I could make more freelancing to be honest. Anyways, I like working with them so I'm hoping we can come to an arrangement. With how expensive utilities are in Vancouver as well as internet/phones in Canada are possibly the biggest rip off on the planet. We worked it out to after bills and food we're left with 300-400 dollars CAD a month to play with. If we go to Ireland with rentals we've already looked at, and food/utilities priced out we'd have a surplus of 1.5k Euros. This is the price difference and it's staggering. 

This also means we'll get the animals first thing in the spring when the flight routes open up a bit more and it's cheaper to bring them. I'm so happy that things are figuring themselves out. I'll be sad to leave BC when we go on Christmas, but I'm very glad to know we're heading home and going to be a huge huge step closer to being in our forever home. We're hoping to use the time in Ireland to grow our business more, as it's been hard (though not impossible or anything) with us being so very far away as Europeans like to meet face to face for business meetings, unlike North Americans. So with us being a 1.5 hr ferry ride away from England and open borders we won't have any problems like we do now. I'm just... so relieved. 

My Current Challenge

My Daily Battle Log

Great goals!  I'm still amazed by the progress you've made over the last few challenges.  I bet the P90x will seem easier this time, now that you fully know what to expect.  If you're a bit more pressed for time or don't like hearing Tony yammer so much, you might want to get the p90x smart phone app.  I do the yoga x and x stretch a lot, and the app runtimes are 58 minutes and 39 minutes, respectively, rather than the much longer times in the videos.  None of the exercises are gone.  It just doesn't have Tony talking between exercises.

I bet you'll do great on your splits goal.  I'm so jealous of anyone who can call herself naturally flexible.  :)

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Great goals! I'm still amazed by the progress you've made over the last few challenges. I bet the P90x will seem easier this time, now that you fully know what to expect. If you're a bit more pressed for time or don't like hearing Tony yammer so much, you might want to get the p90x smart phone app. I do the yoga x and x stretch a lot, and the app runtimes are 58 minutes and 39 minutes, respectively, rather than the much longer times in the videos. None of the exercises are gone. It just doesn't have Tony talking between exercises.

I bet you'll do great on your splits goal. I'm so jealous of anyone who can call herself naturally flexible. :)

Which app is that? Just did a quick search through the play store and it came up with tons of p90x apps.

(sorry for short replies, spelling derps and autocorrect funsies, sent from phone)

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

apfelstrudi learns to outrun shamblers | Instagram challenge

Seem like this challenge is off to a rather great start, sure it will stay that way!

I'm hoping it will continue that way!! I'd be a happy girl if it did. :D

Great goals!  I'm still amazed by the progress you've made over the last few challenges.  I bet the P90x will seem easier this time, now that you fully know what to expect.  If you're a bit more pressed for time or don't like hearing Tony yammer so much, you might want to get the p90x smart phone app.  I do the yoga x and x stretch a lot, and the app runtimes are 58 minutes and 39 minutes, respectively, rather than the much longer times in the videos.  None of the exercises are gone.  It just doesn't have Tony talking between exercises.

I bet you'll do great on your splits goal.  I'm so jealous of anyone who can call herself naturally flexible.  :)

Yeah! Ab ripper X kicks my butt pretty hard too. I am starting on day one tonight, so hopefully it goes easier though I'm thinking it might be harder since I was in better shape that time when I started. I may have lost a lot but I'm not where I was. But I do know it's a FANTASTIC program to follow.  Do you find you get a lot out of the yoga X? I sometimes feel like it moves too quickly from pose to pose.

I'm hoping the splits goes well >< Otherwise I'll be sad lol. You're doing awesome though with your unchallenge I'm so excited to see how it goes.

Me too! :)

Don't be, I'm jealous of your aerialness!!

Which app is that? Just did a quick search through the play store and it came up with tons of p90x apps.

Yeah I'd love to know what app it is!

My Current Challenge

My Daily Battle Log

Me too! :)

Me three! 

tumblr_motvhoNqPW1sv5dnfo1_500.gif

Cavilie - Level 4 Assassin

Chapter 1 | Chapter 2 | Chapter 3 | Chapter 4

Handstand PVP

7 WIS|2 STA|4.25 CHA|7.75 DEX|1 CON|3.75 STR

"If you can’t take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It’s not safe out here. It’s wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it’s not for the timid."

Q, Star Trek: The Next Generation ('Q Who?')

Do you find you get a lot out of the yoga X? I sometimes feel like it moves too quickly from pose to pose.

Oh no.  You're more or less inviting me to get all long-winded about Yoga X.  ;) For the most part, I think it's a good selection of exercises, and it's certainly intense enough so you feel like you've truly worked out after doing it (which can be a problem for many yoga programs).   But....(hidden for long-windedness)

Yoga X also has tons of flaws.  The explanations for each pose are often poor and may lead to poor alignment or weight balance in the pose.  I agree that many of the poses aren't held for long enough to be useful, and they're largely presented as a disjointed collection of poses and stretches, rather than a fluid flow between poses.  He also doesn't have a lot of compensatory stretches or poses.  Often in regular yoga programs, a series of backbending poses will be balanced out by a forward bend or child's pose immediately after, so you're relaxing the muscles that you just strained.

Personally, if I were planning on doing P90x, I'd skip the yoga x and just do a different yoga program in its place.  There are a lot of truly good yoga apps and youtube classes out there that can give all of the intensity of yoga x, but with better flows and hold times.   I actually liked yoga x a lot more, before I broadened my horizons with yoga a bit.  And then I realized that yoga x really isn't a very good program.

But, if you want to fully stick with the p90x program and do the Yoga X, this is how I'd make it a bit more useful (and this is pretty much what I do when I get an itch to go ahead and do yoga x). I would create mini-blocks, where you still do the same exercises that Tony does, but you ignore him and go at your own pace, flowing the exercises together.  So, I'll do a block where I do 3 legged down dog to runner's lunge to crescent to warrior one to warrior two to reverse warrior, all on the same leg and flowing from pose to pose at my own pace, rather than doing warrior 1 right leg, then warrior 1 left leg, and so on as separate motions.  Then, I'll do the same for the other leg.

I similarly stay on the same leg and do warrior 3 to standing splits.  Back up to warrior 3.  Put my hand down into half moon, and then rotate into twisting half moon on the same leg.  And, I do the same thing for tree, leg extension and dancer.  I start with tree, hold it a long time, hug my knee in and do the leg extension, then while still balancing, bring my leg back for royal dancer, with each pose done at my own pace.  For the rest of the stuff, just keep holding the pose as long as you wish, and if that means you're still doing the pose while the video is doing the yoga push-up to upward dog to downward dog sequence or while Tony is talking, it's no big deal.

I always find it interesting to watch people do P90X.  It's a program I've looked into doing, but I've never been able to figure out how to coordinate the workouts with climbing multiple times per week.

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines