Paradigm Gets Bendier!

Paradigm

Haha so you know what I mean! Did you find it a good program though despite the eating problems?

Yeah, it's actually what got me hooked on bodyweight training in the first place. I realized I loved the Chest & Back and Plyo days the most. My quest for a real, unassisted chin up was the kick off point of my 60 lb weight loss, lol.

Me three! 

tumblr_motvhoNqPW1sv5dnfo1_500.gif

Lol I love that gif. Amazing :D

Oh no.  You're more or less inviting me to get all long-winded about Yoga X.  ;) For the most part, I think it's a good selection of exercises, and it's certainly intense enough so you feel like you've truly worked out after doing it (which can be a problem for many yoga programs).   But....(hidden for long-windedness)

Yoga X also has tons of flaws.  The explanations for each pose are often poor and may lead to poor alignment or weight balance in the pose.  I agree that many of the poses aren't held for long enough to be useful, and they're largely presented as a disjointed collection of poses and stretches, rather than a fluid flow between poses.  He also doesn't have a lot of compensatory stretches or poses.  Often in regular yoga programs, a series of backbending poses will be balanced out by a forward bend or child's pose immediately after, so you're relaxing the muscles that you just strained.

Personally, if I were planning on doing P90x, I'd skip the yoga x and just do a different yoga program in its place.  There are a lot of truly good yoga apps and youtube classes out there that can give all of the intensity of yoga x, but with better flows and hold times.   I actually liked yoga x a lot more, before I broadened my horizons with yoga a bit.  And then I realized that yoga x really isn't a very good program.

But, if you want to fully stick with the p90x program and do the Yoga X, this is how I'd make it a bit more useful (and this is pretty much what I do when I get an itch to go ahead and do yoga x). I would create mini-blocks, where you still do the same exercises that Tony does, but you ignore him and go at your own pace, flowing the exercises together.  So, I'll do a block where I do 3 legged down dog to runner's lunge to crescent to warrior one to warrior two to reverse warrior, all on the same leg and flowing from pose to pose at my own pace, rather than doing warrior 1 right leg, then warrior 1 left leg, and so on as separate motions.  Then, I'll do the same for the other leg.

I similarly stay on the same leg and do warrior 3 to standing splits.  Back up to warrior 3.  Put my hand down into half moon, and then rotate into twisting half moon on the same leg.  And, I do the same thing for tree, leg extension and dancer.  I start with tree, hold it a long time, hug my knee in and do the leg extension, then while still balancing, bring my leg back for royal dancer, with each pose done at my own pace.  For the rest of the stuff, just keep holding the pose as long as you wish, and if that means you're still doing the pose while the video is doing the yoga push-up to upward dog to downward dog sequence or while Tony is talking, it's no big deal.

I always find it interesting to watch people do P90X.  It's a program I've looked into doing, but I've never been able to figure out how to coordinate the workouts with climbing multiple times per week.

P90X when I did it before was awesome, to be honest. And I saw a lot of progress in my body transformation with it. It's hard though, people aren't joking when they say it's brutal. 

For Yoga X I think you might be right, especially as I'm after flexibility as well I may sub it out with a yoga plan of my own for those days. 

And if you enjoy the climbing as much as you seem to, why not try p90x but like... slower? So maybe do p180x lol and spread it out more to work into your regular routine? I don't know, just a suggestion. You do great anyways though!

Yeah, it's actually what got me hooked on bodyweight training in the first place. I realized I loved the Chest & Back and Plyo days the most. My quest for a real, unassisted chin up was the kick off point of my 60 lb weight loss, lol.

That's awesome, lex! I've actually always had a hard time with chest/back/ply and more so since the injury. So those days were hellish for me, but I'm in a better mindset for it this time so I think I may have better upper body results. Or I'm hoping at least lol. How is the chinup training going?

Suuuuuubbed ;)

I'm excited to see those splits! :D :D

Haha thanks Bekah! I'm excited to see how your nerdiversary goes too!

Lvl. 10 Half-Elf Assassin

My Current Challenge

My Daily Battle Log

Subbed :)

Those are some amazing progress photos!

My personal aim this challenge is to not let my jaw hit the floor when I read your progression (calipers/weight) by the end of the 6 weeks. (Because I know you are going to do so well!!!)

Ack I missed Yuen! 

Haha your jaw wouldn't drop but I sure am hoping to have some spectacular results this challenge! I feel like I'm on the cusp of something wonderful. Last few times I've lost weight I've gotten into the 180s and then kind of started slacking off a bit. And then I end up going back up again. So now that I'm like maybe a week or less away from 170s, even if the high 170s, I feel like a kid I'm so excited. I cannot WAIT to say I'm in the 170s. 

Your progress is pretty awesome though I have to say. I'm loving watching the minimum effective dose training!

My Current Challenge

My Daily Battle Log

I think I'm getting the flu. I felt rough this morning when I woke up and went to work when I should have stayed home. It was a stressful day at work too. And then as I was on my way home I started throwing up and whatnot. I feel awful and I have a high fever. I think my body is like telling me I should rest a bit, been pushing it too hard. So resting is my plan today and planning for the challenge goals. I'm a bit OCD with lists.

So, as we decided to leave BC sooner rather than later, I am feeling a little sad. We were on the cusp of really settling in and my work I am starting to feel like I fit in there now. That being said, we can't put off our lives and buying a home and whatnot just because I like my coworkers. So it makes me a little sad to think I'll be saying bye to them in about two months, but since I am going to try to continue working with the company it wouldn't be forever.

I feel like at this rate, I may achieve 179 by end of this week or early next week and it makes me a very, very happy girl. I mentioned in my reply to Yuen that I usually give up around the 180s and end up getting bigger again. And I feel like the 179 mark is a monumental one for me. So I'm very, very excited to think it's coming soon. Just got to keep on track. And I've never been more determined. I feel like with the upcoming mood and the way its brightened my spirits that the weight loss is coming easier and it's a lot easier to stick to dieting and working out. But I am crazy so who knows!

The Holy Trinity (Three goals):

1) Able to do splits! +2 DEX + 3 CON if recieve a grade B or higher)

Today I was doing a lot of research into flexibility programs for training to do the splits. They all have very similar strategies and stretches so it must make sense to do it that way. So I'm thinking of breaking this challenge point into subsections so I can mark my progress and will add those subsections of this particular challenge goal tomorrow I think, as I'm feeling a bit under the weather today. 

2) P90X Routines! (+1 CHA +1 WIS + 2 DEX if receive grade B or higher)

Yesterday I said I was feeling sluggish. Today was awful, I think I have the flu so no exercise here. 

3) Weight to 168lbs (+4 STR +2 DEX + 2 STA + 1 WIS on grade B or higher)

I was babbling about it two goals above from here. But I'm getting close to 179. Right now I'm sitting at 182, and I'm pretty damned close! I'm seeing weight loss of between .2-.8 lbs a day, depending on what I'm eating and whether I'm exercising. So I'm feeling like I'll get to the 179 mark even before the actual start of the challenge, which I have to admit is super thrilling. 

Side Quest:

Money side quest is going really well. We are well on track to achieving the money we need to leave for Dec 6. If we get it then, we're on track for the Christmas flights we were thinking of taking. We haven't told our family/friends yet as who knows, we may decide we want to stay here until Jan or maybe like it so much or find an opportunity that takes us on another grand adventure before then. But it's looking like Christmas in Paris and then on to Dublin to stay for 3-6 months before heading to the UK. And this all sounds so much more swanky than it actually is haha.

I got to work more overtime today and found out that overtime at my work is double pay. So I'm going to be getting the equivalent of 2.5 paycheques next paycheque which is pretty fing awesome. I'm excited. 

Overall, I'm feeling pretty good emtoionally even though I'm feeling absolutely awful health wise today. 

My Current Challenge

My Daily Battle Log

Very curious to see how you'll do with the p90x while watching your food. Wondering if it will make a big difference or if the program is simply too hardcore. 

Overall your progress has been great and going steady so I think you'll look great in your wedding dress! Do we get to see pictures? Also dayum christmas in paris <3

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Well! Today is better than yesterday, though only a little. I'm definitely sick, but I'm so stubborn and there was so much going on at work I went in today when I should have worked from home. But things seem to be coming together. So I won't complain. The weather is awful though, so I can't wait until tonght when I can get home and snuggle into the bed in front of the fireplace and be warm and snuggly. But work is ... I feel like I'm fitting in, and being given more responsibility all the time. I also became a rock start today and I'm almost going to hit a completely unrealistic deadline so I'm proud of myself. 

So I made it to 181.9... SO CLOSE to getting into the 170s. Gosh, I'm like a kid in a candy store. Only I'm not allowed to eat candy anymore. Lol. 

We have been working on our websites and have some pretty cool stuff to show off soon. I feel like things are falling into place, if slowly by the standards I apparently live by (they're actually going pretty quickly). Just have to keep going and be patient.

Lexphoenix linked to a yoga video on gymnasticswod and omg it's amazing. I'm intending to start on that today, also I need to work on lower back strength and flexibility as well, since the range of movement is quite restricted.

Breaking this down:

1. Able to do side split

2. Able to bend and touch my toes (especially important as I used to be able to lay my hands flat on the floor)

3. Middle split time!

4. Lower back strength and flexibility training, as well as back of thighs. 

I've decided I'm going to do the P90X only when I feel a little healthier, which is fine I'd rather not make myself sick for longer. So this is on hold until at the very earliest tomorrow. 

I am at 181! Almost to the 170s! And then on to the 160s. 

I think to make sure p90x does what it's supposed to and to make sure I get to the weight goal I am going to document what I eat. I think it'll help a lot.

Breakfast - Unfortunately skipped this this morning, as I was having a hard time not being sick. 

- Cup of tea, black

Lunch: Yam Fries approx 200 g

Big salad with croutons and a small amount of parmesan cheese on top. 

Grilled Chicken Breast 

Small amount of dressing

Water

Dinner - Naked Buritto Mix we made last week 

- Water

Breakdown: 1600 cal for day 

Side Quest:

Started working on a project today for a previous client. It went quickly and well, so I think we'll be good to get more work from her. Also started searching for freelance work, so that I can beef up our bank balance even more, even if it means a lot of work and very little down time. 

My Current Challenge

My Daily Battle Log

Hope you get better quick! Challenge's starting soon :)

Thanks, Hatter! I'm feeling a tiny bit better today, but I definitely just need to relax and rest tonight. 

Very curious to see how you'll do with the p90x while watching your food. Wondering if it will make a big difference or if the program is simply too hardcore. 

Overall your progress has been great and going steady so I think you'll look great in your wedding dress! Do we get to see pictures? Also dayum christmas in paris <3

I think the program is great, but it's difficult for sure. I can't wait to see how it goes though :D

And of course you guys can see pictures! I'm suuuppperrr excited to be able to wear the dress in the size I want and look good hehe.

Christmas in Paris will be amazing... and expensive. We wanted to make sure the UKBA couldn't give us any funny business and since Ireland is technically in the common travel area, France was the safest point for the landing point into Europe. And once I have landed in Europe, I can travel freely with my guy. So that's kind of what we're thinking. Just playing it safe. Man I can't wait though, I'm so excited to get our life going in the track we want.

My Current Challenge

My Daily Battle Log

That's awesome, lex! I've actually always had a hard time with chest/back/ply and more so since the injury. So those days were hellish for me, but I'm in a better mindset for it this time so I think I may have better upper body results. Or I'm hoping at least lol. How is the chinup training going?

I actually got my first one about 6 months after I started training for it, so about 2.5 years ago ... I think. When I train chin ups, my max is 7. When I drop the volume/frequency, my max is 3-4.

I'm so happy your weight loss is going so well for you! You are getting so close to your goal.

Awesome.

cute-puppies-04.jpg

Cavilie - Level 4 Assassin

Chapter 1 | Chapter 2 | Chapter 3 | Chapter 4

Handstand PVP

7 WIS|2 STA|4.25 CHA|7.75 DEX|1 CON|3.75 STR

"If you can’t take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It’s not safe out here. It’s wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it’s not for the timid."

Q, Star Trek: The Next Generation ('Q Who?')

I can't wait for you to get here :D

(sorry for short replies, spelling derps and autocorrect funsies, sent from phone)

Hehe I can't wait to get to Europe either! SOOOOOoooo excited. 

I actually got my first one about 6 months after I started training for it, so about 2.5 years ago ... I think. When I train chin ups, my max is 7. When I drop the volume/frequency, my max is 3-4.

Nice! I think mine will take longer than 6 months.. If I'm being realistic, but I'll get there! And 3-4 is not shabby at all. I'm impressed :D

I'm so happy your weight loss is going so well for you! You are getting so close to your goal.

Awesome.

cute-puppies-04.jpg

That dog totally made my day. I just want to cuddle it!!

My Current Challenge

My Daily Battle Log

I think we are new best friends.... YOU MAKE VIDEO GAMES!!! That is so cool. I've always wanted to work on those. I'll get there eventually.

Have you played any recently? And if so what?

My gf and I would LOVE to move to Europe. We have big plans, so I really like your goal of savings. I should probably think about the savings.

AND bendyness... I need bendyness. I'm all hulking out on my challenge.

Sorry if I seem scattered I'm just really excited about your goals!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

I think we are new best friends.... YOU MAKE VIDEO GAMES!!! That is so cool. I've always wanted to work on those. I'll get there eventually.

My gf and I would LOVE to move to Europe. We have big plans, so I really like your goal of savings. I should probably think about the savings.

Yes yes yes you all need to come to Europe. Then we'll open an nf gym and life happily ever after

(sorry for short replies, spelling derps and autocorrect funsies, sent from phone)

• Like 1

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

apfelstrudi learns to outrun shamblers | Instagram challenge

Haha I always like new friends!!! Wooo!!

And yeah, video games are an amazing thing to get involved in and I'd be happy to give you advice if you ever wanted some about how to get involved and whatnot! It can be a bit of a difficult industry to break into and I hate to see people kept out of cool things. 

I've been DYING to play Last of Us, but as we've been living the poor life to save up I haven't gotten it yet, but since we know we're heading back to the UK where our video game consoles are around Christmas to retrieve our furniture and computers and whatnot I think I'll buy a copy then. What about you? Any good games to recommend?

And yes! Everyone should go to Europe because Europe is bad ass :D It snagged my heart the moment I first went there and I've been unable to stay away since hehe. Where did you guys want to go in Europe?

Yes yes yes you all need to come to Europe. Then we'll open an nf gym and life happily ever after

That sounds fun, Apfel, but only if we can go visit the mad kings fairy tale castle who's name I can never remember! 

This lady... she has good ideas ;)

Yes she does hehe

This.

I'm glad we all seem to be in agreement

Why yes, this is an amazing idea :)

You come too, Bekah!

Agreed.

You come back from Australia then!

And then we'll all do this:

angry-dance.gif

My Current Challenge

My Daily Battle Log

Today was both good and bad... Back freaked out last night so I didn't sleep well. But got my projects done at work and had lunch with my amazing man. So there was a lot of good. We've been talking a lot and I have to admit I'm feeling a lot of sadness about leaving the area here behind. It's a beautiful place and the people are mostly pretty great! But you can't stay in a country for a two year longer period just because you sort of like the place. Not when you LOVE home. You know?

So health wise I'm feeling better today and tomorrow starts my P90X challenge and yoga!! Cross your fingers everyone and hold onto your pants! It's about to get sexy in here! Not really but it sounded fun to say. 

Today I am doing the stretches from lexphoenix's video she linked. For any who don't know which one I mean and might be trying to get bendy themselves, I've put it below. It's awesome and I can actually feel it from just the last two days of stretching. I'm pretty excited to see how the 6 weeks will pan out. 

P90X is starting tomorrow morning! And my amazing guy is doing it with me because he said he would give it a shot. I'm pretty excited about it. 

Today was a bit bad in the morning, I actually cried at work because someone has been fucking around with things and actually broke weeks of my work and today was the due date. So I started crying lol. And I had a coke. But it was a single slip up and I don't feel bad about it. Life isn't about always depriving yourself and I needed a break today. Otherwise, the eating was good!

Breakfast - Sausage and eggs

- Cup of tea, black

Lunch: Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Coke

Orzo with Balsamic

Dinner - Greek Salad

- Black been and sausage soup

- Water

Side Quest:

Pretty excited about this part of the side quest. Spending the weekend looking for freelance work, getting our websites finished and up (finally) and stuff! Oh! And our TV arrives tomorrow woo woo. Totally off topic there but it's a good thing, I like background noise while I work. 

My Current Challenge

My Daily Battle Log

Haha I always like new friends!!! Wooo!!

And yeah, video games are an amazing thing to get involved in and I'd be happy to give you advice if you ever wanted some about how to get involved and whatnot! It can be a bit of a difficult industry to break into and I hate to see people kept out of cool things. 

I've been DYING to play Last of Us, but as we've been living the poor life to save up I haven't gotten it yet, but since we know we're heading back to the UK where our video game consoles are around Christmas to retrieve our furniture and computers and whatnot I think I'll buy a copy then. What about you? Any good games to recommend?

And yes! Everyone should go to Europe because Europe is bad ass :D It snagged my heart the moment I first went there and I've been unable to stay away since hehe. Where did you guys want to go in Europe?

I've tinkered in GameMaker. Not sure I want to necessarily get in the industry. It is just something that I would like to do and get involved in for sure. I'm an artsy type so it interests me.

Last of Us is amazing. I will say no further because fear of spoiling the experience.

One of my favorite games that I played this year was Tomb Raider. The story was pretty hokey but the mechanics were just awesome. It's very reminiscent of Uncharted gameplay but... just better. Bow and arrow FTW! I'm waiting for Steam Winter sale to go back through smaller titles like Gone Home, Stanley Parable, Rogue Legacy, etc. etc. So many good games on every end of the spectrum. It is a wonderful thing. Unfortunately, I still need to be productive IRL.

Oh... check this out http://superhotgame.com/ ... It's a puzzle-shooter??? (I say in a high voice because I'm uncertain) and it's got a quirky style.

I studied abroad in London for 3 months during college, so that will always have a place in my heart. I am very open to living in Dublin drinking pints and living a poets life. I'm not a poet, but I can certainly fake it til I make it :)

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines