Sam[balina] just wants to have fu-un!

Sambalina

Right-o, week three wrap up time.

This week was strong during the week, and then my diet took a major turn for the rebellious over the weekend. I'm not upset, or worried. It was interesting to experiment with eating like a 'normal person' for the weekend :D And the results of this experiment? Meh. I ate pizza - mah. I ate a slice of carrot cake - first bite was nice, then meh. I ate caramel popcorn - double meh. I ate these little custard cakes they cook fresh at a stall - worse than meh, made me ill all day. So, highly processed foods? Not worth the waste of stomach space and calories. Other than the custard cakes, I didn't notice any specific 'bad effects' from these foods (though my seasonal allergies have flared up so bad I feel like I have a bad cold - I'm not ready to declare a cause for that). I'm glad I did it. The blow out helped me see what I'm NOT missing. Today, back to lower carb, gluten-free, and sugar free. I have some plans this week for a roasted pork-loin and apple dish, chicken carbonara, and a vegetable soup.

Cal          Carbs(g)

Mon         1,214        128

Tue          1,522        140

Wed         1,379        150

Thu          1,436        150

Fri            3,301        370  =======> this is what happens when you eat an entire combination pizza.

Sat           1,080        150

Sun          1,961        250 ========> This is what happens when you eat rice at lunch AND caramel popcorn.

I can see from this that my carbs were creeping up all week, culminating in Friday and Sunday being ridiculously high. Apart from those days, all my carbs are from vegetables and fruit. I had some green grapes in the fridge, which are pretty high in sugar, so that explains the higher averages this week (I bought them on Monday night, ate them Tuesday through Saturday).

As I mentioned, my allergies are REALLY bad (or I'm getting a cold, but I *think* it's allergies). I've got sinus headaches from hell and my body is sore, achy, and exhausted. I have areas of skin that look perfectly normal, but a really overly sensitive and almost painful. So, as I have no work today, I decided to take the day off from the gym and just rest as much as I can. Maybe I'll go this afternoon depending on how I feel. I WILL go three times this week, just maybe not today.

Gym last week all went well, though. I'm slow;y progressing with the pause atg squats and am almost able to use the 10kg barbell with ok form. I upped my bench, OHP, and pendlay row to PR numbers and now have to work on getting 5x5 at the new weights.

Now, fun stuff:

- I finished the scarf! It looks great, I hope KJ will like it. I'll try to remember to take some photos before I wrap it.

- I enjoyed going to the movies so much last week that I went again yesterday. I went to see Thor, but was disappointed. I loved Catching Fire, it felt so well done, so nuanced. When people died, other people were honestly upset/traumatised. Life wasn't portrayed in cheap way and violence wasn't glorified. Thor was the exact opposite, I'm not sure it made a heck of a lot of sense, and if I hadn't been stuck in the very centre of the row of a really full theatre, I probably would have left. I don't have any problems with violence in movies or anything, but I must just be getting old :D

- I ate my pizza.

In other news, my friend finally moved out of my apartment/room yesterday. Today I need to do some cleaning and get things back to where I want them. Or Sit in bed eating strawberries and watching movies all day. Either/or :D

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Great week there - sometimes we have to binge and not feel bad for it!

I have also been suffering from hayfever/allergy type stuff for the last couple of days (even though ive never had it happen before) so i know how you feel! your lucky you dont have to work!!

And strawberry eating, movie watching time in bed? sounds way better than cleaning haha am i being a bad influence? Enjoy having your apartment to yourself and wishing you an awesome week 4!

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

[sTR] 12 [DEX] 7 [sTA] 10 [CON] 5 [WIS] 8 [CHA] 4

Battle Log | FitocracyCurrent ChallengePrevious Challenges: #1 #2 #3

And strawberry eating, movie watching time in bed? sounds way better than cleaning haha am i being a bad influence? 

Hehehe, I know, right? 

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Do you think you're getting enough calories for all the workouts you're doing? Seems a little light, for some reason. That might be why the sweets are so tempting--your body is trying to get more energy?

Anyway, sounds like you had some good workouts, and a happy weekend! Rock on, Sam!

Human Ranger, Level 10
Long-term Goal: Hike WA section of Pacific Crest Trail, August 2014

Current Challenge | Facebook (personal & locavore) | Blog | Twitter

"You stand at the verge, and you could become anything." - Dan Chaon

I've been wondering the same thing, Pallas Athena. I don't try to limit my calories at all, they just come out that way. Maintenance for me, so some of the calories trackers tell me, is around 2,000cal. Perhaps I should experiment with trying to hit closer to this each day. The only problem is, when you don't eat sugar or grains you have to eat a TON of food to get the cals up and I get too full. Nuts might do the trick, as would adding in some more coconut oil. Ooooh, peanut butter on celery!

• Like 1

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

I am trying to eat at a slight deficit - and aim for around 1700/day. My body will really tell me when it needs more food though. Some days i can eat 1300 no problems, but generally after a training day i will be hungrier. My maintenance is about 2000 as well, so it could be that you are eating not quite enough but if you are feeling satisfied then craving those types of food might be more related to missing a certain thing in foods you arent generally eating. For example a big one for me is protein - i know i need it, but if i dont get enough i am still SOOOOO hungry!! compared to days eating more protein but less calories overall! 

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

I've been wondering the same thing, Pallas Athena. I don't try to limit my calories at all, they just come out that way. Maintenance for me, so some of the calories trackers tell me, is around 2,000cal. Perhaps I should experiment with trying to hit closer to this each day. The only problem is, when you don't eat sugar or grains you have to eat a TON of food to get the cals up and I get too full. Nuts might do the trick, as would adding in some more coconut oil. Ooooh, peanut butter on celery!

Don't forget bacon (if you can find some without sugar added)! I like almond butter, too, and cashews are great snacks if you need calories as well.

Human Ranger, Level 10

It's strange how those foods you feel like you've been missing out on aren't anything really special, isn't it?  I find that since I eat low sugar most of the time.

The other thing you could do for increasing calories is just try taking slightly larger portions of the food you're already eating.  The you'd increase the food proportionally across the day without having to find new foods.  Just a thought.

Most of my calories are made up of meats, especially beef and pork.  And fats.  Mmm.....bacon: fat with protein in it.

Did you take a pic of the scarf yet?

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

I find that when you've been "so good" for so long a little break from the "goodness" is actually quite nice, but when you have a second break so close to it, it really tastes awful.  I've almost gone off the "breaks" now because i don't want things to be spoiled. 

As for your friend moving out - yay, you have your space back again - and i'd totally vote for bed, strawberries (definitely this) and movies.  Cleaning can wait just one more day, while you revel in being in your own space again. :)

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

congrats on great week 3 Sam :)

you are back with your lifts to PR ? nOT bad at all :) And your squats sounds like they're growing pretty nicely as well...

- and on the fun stuff - I think KJ will love the scarf - I always prefer when my girl MAKES smth for me than BUYS - but either way I'm always happy cause I know she do her best to give me smth awesome :)

- I have no idea how Thor got so popular - IMHO 1st part was the worst of all marvels and yet he was a huge success. But as a general fantasy/ sci-fi lover I can't wait to see both thor 2 and CF - especially the 2nd one cause I read the books and I wonder how they made it ... 

- I'm craving for pizza now :)

Elf Druid - Level 8         looking around for happiness || tracking || #intro || #old

"Most people think they’ll feel good once they reach some goal. By linking happiness to something you don’t have yet, you denying yourself the power to create it in the moment. Your happiness is your birth right. It shouldn’t depend on you ACHIEVING something. Start by claiming it and using it to make your journey fun all the way and not just at the end." S.Chandler

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy" G. Apollinaire

Great that you've tracked calories and can see those trends, it's really useful info.

I don't track calories that closely anymore (I probably will be in Jan after Christmas shenanigans) but when I did if I needed to up my cals it would usually be something fat based, Avocados, eggs, nuts (macadamias FTW) and Almond butter are all good sources.  Biltong is also great if you can get it because you can grab a handful as you head out the door, this stops me eating pies at the game. I've also taken to having some deli meat (Lemon Myrtle Roast pork slices) in the fridge for emergencies. Sweetness from cherries which seem to be the "best value" of all the fruits and are in season right  now.

You're doing really well Sam :positive:

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Thanks for the input and feedback everyone! I'm going to try upping my calories to the 1,700-2,000 ish range and see how I feel. I find most of my food cravings are emotional - boredom or loneliness generally. Finding ways to deal with that are key.

And speaking of emotional, I feel like crap today. My allergies are playing up, I have a sore ankle, it's cold, and I'm a little miserable. Anyone who's been following me for any length of time, you know this is just one of my normal slumps. It's minor, and I get over it pretty quickly.

I did make it to the gym this morning. Nothing amazing to report, just a solid workout. But here's some pictures of my finished scarf (if KJ EVER comes home from Milan... it's been four weeks... Sad Sam is Sad).

gallery_6233_781_76143.jpg

gallery_6233_781_6210.jpg

And now: My dinner (apple roasted pork loin! Yum!)

sml_gallery_6233_781_62925.jpg

Ok, that's all. Have a good second half of week 4 everyone!

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

OMG that dinner looks amazing and nice scarf.

You'll get over the slump shortly, i know you :)  Plus I'm sure KJ will be back within no time - it's Christmas afterall and i'm sure they won't keep him in Milan over that time.

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

scarf with buttons ?!?! :D amazing, and it looks so warm  - I want one :D

Elf Druid - Level 8         looking around for happiness || tracking || #intro || #old

"Most people think they’ll feel good once they reach some goal. By linking happiness to something you don’t have yet, you denying yourself the power to create it in the moment. Your happiness is your birth right. It shouldn’t depend on you ACHIEVING something. Start by claiming it and using it to make your journey fun all the way and not just at the end." S.Chandler

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy" G. Apollinaire

Awww, thanks guys  :redface:  I'm pretty proud of the scarf.

I'm mostly over my mood slump - was short lived this time around. 

I really want to get into the Christmas mood! I might do some baking and take it into work (that way I won't eat it all!), and watch some Christmas movies. I re-watched 'Love Actually' the other night and had a blast.

For 'fun stuff' this week I'm going to a "bar Olympics" with a couple of friends/co-workers. I don't drink, but I think it'll be really fun, and a good chance to be better friends with a couple of guys at work. I am hoping this will be my last weekend without KJ.

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Scarf is beautiful, Sam! Nicely done! I'm glad you're feeling better mood-wise. Sucks to feel bad, so nice that you changed it so quickly.

I find that music is one of the best ways to get into the seasonal frame of mind--nothing like holiday music to inspire cheer!

Sounds like your social events will help with holiday cheer, too! Hope you're having a blast!

Human Ranger, Level 10

is my chrome broken or is this the last page of your challenge thread Sam?

I know I always have been a terible updater (this is my first post since almost 2 weeks) for my challenges but you were always up to date girl :)

it's veeeeeeeeeery suspicous I must say ...

so quickly, let us know how u doin? How is your lifting? How is with KJ? hOW is your sugar ass-kickisng? How is living alone in your apartment? How is it????

i am waiting :)

I know, I know - I've been meaning to update for aaaageees! Thank you, Panczo - you're awesome :)

Well, things have been minor-rough this past week and a bit. I fell off the sugar wagon in a MAJOR way and am now paying for it dearly :( We had a Christmas party at work and I ate a lot of sugar+gluten things, and almost immediately got heartburn, and then I've had a very sore, weird, cramping, stomach yesterday and today. I can only eat really small amounts of food before I feel in a bit of pain and ill :( I barely got enough calories yesterday because of it... I had to eat my chicken soup in stages just so that I got some nutrition. It seems to be improving today, but I skipped the gym this morning because lifting causes so much internal pressure and I didn't want to aggravate it. So, I am firmly back on low-sugar no gluten, and will try for my third gym session tomorrow morning.

Lifting is going well. I'm still on low weights for squats, but I feel like my form is really coming along. I think I'll go up to 12kg (+2kg) next week. I found I am rounding my back at the bottom, though, which might take some time to fix. Damn, squats are complex!

Living alone again is great :) My apartment is once again nice and clean and I have the use of my desk back!

Things with KJ? Well... :( I just don't know, and it's making me feel a bit down. He got back from his trip last Sunday, He didn't tell me he was flying home, but did text me right away when he got here. We went out Sunday night, so I was pleased he wanted to see me right away. However he was really stressed about some very serious stuff going on at his work. He explained it to me, and it is really really bad stuff he has to deal with. So, on Monday we were talking and I said I'd like to start making him more a part of my life - like, I'd like to move forward with the relationship. He said that was sweet, but he needed some time to himself right now to deal with all this work stuff, that it had nothing to do with me, but that's what he needed. I asked if he wanted me to wait or if we were breaking up. He asked me to wait while he got sorted. I said ok. Now I don't know what to do. We've had no contact for three days, I don't know whether to leave him alone entirely, or text support, or what. I don't know how long I want to wait, or if it's worth it, or, or, or...

He has always been respectful and supportive of me, and my first instinct in this is to give him the time and space he needs (within reason, I draw the line at missing Christmas with him - that's a deal breaker), and then have a serious discussion about whether he is ever -in the near future- going to have the time and mental energy to have the relationship with me that I deserve. I strongly suspect the answer is 'no', but I do have to talk it through with him.

So, I'm doing ok, Fell down a bit this week, but am picking myself back up. 

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

I made it to my third gym session this morning. I almost didn't go - it was -12C outside, snowy-icey, and I'm still feeling tummy sick. But I went! I didn't feel like squatting, so I did a bunch of other stuff and actually had a lot of fun. I made it to 5x5 30kg bench press! PR woot! I'm going up to 32kg next week :)

I dreamed last night that I met a personal trainer at the gym. I was really happy at first, but then it turned bad and she told me free weights would kill me and I was only allowed to do bizarre machine workouts. I ran away and then I woke up... weird dream!!

Also, I STILL have indigestion/dyspepsia. This is day three :( I really f*ed things up by cutting loose on Wednesday. I'd like to say 'lesson learned', but. Anyway, I'm only going to eat clean, soft, easy to digest food today and maybe tomorrow to try and get back to normal. Coconut milk + strawberry smoothie for breakfast, tuna omelette for lunch, maybe soup for dinner. I have to eat it all slowly and in shifts because my stomach feels full to bursting almost immediately. I have had this happen before, but rarely and never for this long. I'm not 100% sure what causes it, but it seems to be eating too much processed food (maybe flour?) over a long period of time (like 6-12 hours).

No update on the KJ situation. I'm pretty calm about it because I know the problem isn't me. He needs to deal with some serious stuff for himself that's not even remotely relationship related. My only problem is I'm fairly selfish, I miss him, and I don't want to waste my time on all this waiting if the relationship is never going to get off the ground properly anyway. Ah well, big talks once he's sorted himself out, I guess.

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Uh, guys? Was that the end of week 5? I'm pretty sure it was... time is getting hard to track! :D

Anyway, what with the holidays approaching, and NF being very quiet, I'm still going to keep updating. My vacation starts today, and I have a Christmas party at my best friends house on Saturday. I'm so looking forward to it. She's asked me to make my world famous pumpkin cheesecake :D Sadly, Jay can't come, but I'm going to invite a couple of friends from work. Should be a good time.

Update on my goals:

Gym 3x this week: Yup! Despite snow, rain, and FREEZING temps, I made it all three times. I'm not solidly benching 30kg at 5x5, which is great for me!

Food: Still struggling to get firmly back on track in the face of the holiday season. I've been doing MUCH better the second half of the week though. I was careful, and my dyspepsia is finally gone. I won't be doing anything to inflame that in a hurry.

Have fun:

Yes - hung out with Amy most of the weekend. Snuck in a quick drive-by hug for KJ at his work on Sunday.

As for the KJ situation, it's going ok. He had to fire two people last week, on top of everything else. I still desperately want time with him, and am getting on measly dinner on Christmas eve. I want to wait for him, because I really like him, but I don't want to be dumb and waste my time. Arg.

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Yep, we are now into week 6!! Cant believe another challenge is almost over

Well done on the goals - YAY for bench, and YAY for feeling better :)

Your situation with KJ Is a tough one - Go with what you want at the moment, you can make the tough decision later if it comes to it. I really hope you can work it out though

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

thanks the almighty u are ok and back with us :)

looks like your body is really telling u it don't like much sugar :D good thing is u are some damn well at listening to it. And great that your stomach is finally healthy :)

Rounding back at the bottom is very common problem as far as I know - I hope u will figure out how to fix it before u start to hit some hard weights :)

heheh gym junkies have gym dreams :) that's how it is I guess :D

NF got really quite does it? I wonder how much is that because of people falling of from wagon in this difficult times (like: ok so I failed, well... now I will have a break and I will start once again from next year, I deserve that break for sure)

Your situation with KJ = super difficult. My abbilities to help with relationship problems = close to zero :) 

probably tough conversation is the best next step... but next? U are ten times smarter than me on this one so I have all the hopes in the world that u will do the right thing ... 

and great to hear that your "having fun" goal is going smoothly :D

see u around Sam in this final week :D

Hey Sam *waves*, I'm back :)

I made it to my third gym session this morning. I almost didn't go - it was -12C outside, snowy-icey, and I'm still feeling tummy sick. But I went! I didn't feel like squatting, so I did a bunch of other stuff and actually had a lot of fun. I made it to 5x5 30kg bench press! PR woot! I'm going up to 32kg next week :)

Awesome work, needs plenty of motivation to trudge through that snow and ice in -12, I will be thinking about that the next time I'm going to skip a workout.

30kg bench PR wooooo! :D

Glad to hear you are over the stomach troubles, that sounded really nasty.

As for the KJ situation, it's going ok. He had to fire two people last week, on top of everything else. I still desperately want time with him, and am getting on measly dinner on Christmas eve. I want to wait for him, because I really like him, but I don't want to be dumb and waste my time. Arg.

Firing people is really awful, especially if you like them. On top of that it's almost christmas, not the message you want to give someone at this time of year so no wonder he's stressed out. Having said that you need some support too, especially being overseas at christmas time.. Relationships are never simple :rolleyes:

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Hi Sam!

That scarf is pure adorableness!

When my body ceases up from too much junk, I find that I need to clean out my system in order to feel OK. I hope your body is back to normal though. WOOT on the PR! That is awesome!

As for KJ, do you think his job will always be this stressful? Because that is what it sounds like is the issue. Waiting a few weeks won't be too bad, you can do it! *hugs*

Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer

|STR 2| DEX 2| STA 1| CON 2| WIS 4| CHR 2|

Highest Weight: 303 Current Weight: 268.5

Twitter: Kim_Taura Skype: taureanfreak Email: taureanfreak@gmail.com

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines