Chelsea's Workout Log

I don't even know when the last time I ran a 5K was (maybe high school?), so I'm pretty happy that I was able to manage it. I have my phone set to notify me every half kilometre, and after the first 3K I wasn't sure if I could go two more, but I didn't want to wuss out. ;) I'm eager to see how your 5K goes!

I'm not an RYT (Registered Yoga Teacher) or anything, but I'm working on getting practicum hours toward a very low-level "certification". I put that in quotes because there aren't actually any yoga teacher certification programs in the US. It will just be a statement from my instructor saying that I've completed a certain number of hours training and teaching. That being said, I teach a class once or twice a month at the studio here. I'd done regular yoga before and always seemed to hurt my back doing it, but since I started hot yoga last December I'm in love - and my back problems have cleared up! :D I don't know if I'm good at it, but I'm definitely dedicated to it.

+++

Traditional hot yoga class this morning. Class was 60 minutes but I stuck around for a while to do a few extra poses and work on supported headstands. I got up without the wall and balanced for about 35 seconds! After I got home I walked the dogs 2.5 miles them spent the rest of the day on my feet cooking. Yum!

Oh, and I did negative pullups (6, 5, 5) and chinups (5).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

If you want to live an interesting life, you're going to spend half of it being terrified.

-Mary Hollinshead

Awesome job on the 5K! So awesome that you stuck with it and kept going! I'd take a yoga class of yours anytime! :)

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Stars hide your fires for these here are my desires
And I won't give them up to you this time around
And so I'll be found with my stake stuck in the ground
Marking the territory of this newly impassioned soul ~ Mumford and Sons

Awesome job on the 5K! So awesome that you stuck with it and kept going! I'd take a yoga class of yours anytime! :)

If you're ever in KY you're welcome to!

Thanks Hannibal. :)

++++

Today I biked 4.4 miles, and ran intervals for 2.1 miles (9:16 pace). I was going to go to yoga this evening but I was really tired. Plus I have a lot of yoga to do tomorrow so I felt like I needed to rest a bit. As a compromise, I did about 20 minutes of easy yoga at home, then meditated for a few minutes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

If you want to live an interesting life, you're going to spend half of it being terrified.

-Mary Hollinshead

Hehe, thanks Tom. My upper body gets soooo fatigued from the negative pullups, which is a good thing. :)

+++

Oh man. Today was so busy. Blaaaaargh. Bullet points are necessary:

- Hot Yoga Power Hour for 60 minutes this morning. It was exhausting but awesome as always. After class I hung around a while to do some more stretches and practice supported headstands. I got up away from the wall and stayed up for about 40 seconds!

- Rode 4.4 miles to and from the uni, held poses for gesture drawings.

- Walked Boomer a half mile.

- Taught yoga for about 90 minutes at the local Boys & Girls Club.

- Negative Pullups (6, 6, 5) and neg chinups (5).

- Walked all the dogs 1.7 miles.

I think I'll be slipping into a coma within the hour.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

-Mary Hollinshead

- Walked 2 miles with Azu, Storm, and Hanabi, ran 1.5 (8:48 pace!), then walked 1.1 with Boomer.

- Spent the next couple hours bathing dogs, doing laundry, making peanut butter, washing dishes, etc.

- Tibetan 21 Hot Yoga tonight. It was a killer. I'd love to see some Crossfit people come in and do that class or Power Hour. I bet they'd love it. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

-Mary Hollinshead

Time for measurements and photos!

10/07/11

weight: 129.2 (-2#)

height: 64

neck: 13.5 (+.25")

bust: 35 (-1")

waist: 28.25 (-.25")

1†below naval: 32.75 (-.25")

hips: 34 (-1")

bf% according to my scale: 24.1%

bf% according to this site: 20.6% (-2.1%)

BMI: 22.2 (-.3)

Standard shots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guns, HOO-AH!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Look, wrinkles on my tummy! That seems cool to me. XD

Posted Image

When I stand this way you can see my abs a bit, lol.

Posted Image

++++

65 minutes of hot yoga this morning. I think I strained or over-stretched my left hamstring last night or this morning (or maybe while running yesterday morning?) because it's fairly sore. :/ I still have to walk all the dogs and teach yoga at the Boys & Girls Club later. Will update more tonight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

-Mary Hollinshead

Time for measurements and photos!

10/07/11

weight: 129.2 (-2#)

height: 64

neck: 13.5 (+.25")

bust: 35 (-1")

waist: 28.25 (-.25")

1 below naval: 32.75 (-.25")

hips: 34 (-1")

bf% according to my scale: 24.1%

bf% according to this site: 20.6% (-2.1%)

BMI: 22.2 (-.3)

Standard shots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guns, HOO-AH!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Look, wrinkles on my tummy! That seems cool to me. XD

Posted Image

When I stand this way you can see my abs a bit, lol.

Posted Image

++++

65 minutes of hot yoga this morning. I think I strained or over-stretched my left hamstring last night or this morning (or maybe while running yesterday morning?) because it's fairly sore. :/ I still have to walk all the dogs and teach yoga at the Boys & Girls Club later. Will update more tonight.

Way to rock the abs

So, do you sleep? Sounds like you're working out 24/7

Way to rock the abs

So, do you sleep? Sounds like you're working out 24/7

Haha, yeah, I sleep about 7 hours a night, on average. I'm just partially unemployed so I have extra time to work out.

+++

I went to see "50/50" last night, so I didn't get a chance to update again. The movie was really good, btw, and not just because it has a greyhound in it. <3

After yoga in the morning I walked the dogs 1.8 miles and taught yoga at the Boys & Girls Club for an hour. This morning I walked the dogs 2.1 miles to and from the farmer's market to get yummy veggies! I've got yoga at 10:30, then I'm going hiking at Mammoth Cave this afternoon. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

-Mary Hollinshead

Hehe, thanks Tom. My upper body gets soooo fatigued from the negative pullups, which is a good thing. :)

Yeah, I feel ya on that one! Keep it up! PS, you are doing a good job, you and the rest of the rebels are definitely seeing results, keep it up! (I think that is going to be one of my constant refrains with people...I keep finding myself saying that. either way: keep it up! haha)

"First, decide who you would be and then do what you must do." ~Epictetus 

Man, I wish I could work out as much as you do! Or working out with you would probably even be more motivating. Got to figure out a way to get you up to Oregon... ;) I'll keep looking on the job front....

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Thanks Tom. :)

And farax, I got your pm and forwarded the links to Nick - thanks! Yeah, I love working out with other people because it makes me work harder.

+++

Like I said earlier, I walked the dogs 2.1 miles to and from the farmer's market, then did 60 minutes of hot yoga. We practiced some fun advanced poses. :)

Then I loaded Azu and Storm up in the car and met some friends and their dogs at Mammoth Cave. We hiked about 5.5 miles. The weather was sooooo nice.

Greased the groove on pullups today.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

-Mary Hollinshead

I have had such a long, full day. @_@

Got up and ran with Azu. We did intervals for 2.46 miles: five minute warm-up jog, 7 x (30 second sprint, 1 minute jog), five minute cool-down jog. Worked out to a 9:17 pace, which I think is better than my previous interval runs.

After that I walked home with Azu, then walked Boomer, so that's about 2 miles of walking.

After spending several hours cooking I went to the Humane Society to walk some dogs there. Totaled about a mile, but that includes upper body work from resisting their pulling antics. ;)

After that I came home and did more cooking, then vacuumed the house. It felt soooo good to finally sit down around 7:30 or so.

Oh yeah, and I decided to start doing 2 neg pullups instead of 1 when I come out of the bathroom. So I probably did about 20? I know I forgot to a few times.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

-Mary Hollinshead

You are looking awesome! You should take fitness pics of the dogs too, since they're working out with you!

LOL! Well my own dogs are in excellent shape, but the foster dog, Boomer, is a major tubber. :) He's lost almost a pound in the past two weeks, so we're getting there! Lemme grab a couple photos of him...

This was the day after I picked Boomer up from the Humane Society.

This is His Royal Fatness just now:

Posted Image

You really can't see a difference in the photos, but it's more noticeable in real life.

+++

As for working out, I walked Azu, Storm, and Hanabi 2.2 miles this morning, went to yoga (60 minute traditional class), and walked Boomer and Roxy 1.3 miles this afternoon. Have also been greasing the groove on the neg pullups.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

-Mary Hollinshead

He's less cute when you know how much of a douchebag he is sometimes. ;) He has some severe behavioral issues that I've been working on.

+++

Copy/pasta from my Challenge thread:

I had to model at the uni yesterday evening and get up at 5 this morning for yoga, so I didn't have a chance to update last night.

I ran an unexpected 5K yesterday for my trail run! I ran at Lost River Cave again (evidence!) - started on the paved ridge trail, did 2 loops around the rocky, rooty, hilly trail down in the valley, then when I got back up on the paved section and hit 2.5 miles I just decided to keep going until I had a 5K. So technically, since my running goal last week was 4-7 miles, I ran .1 mile farther than I was supposed to. I'm not having any pain in my Achilles tendon, though, so hopefully I didn't overdo it. I've never run a 5K race before, but I'm thinking of trying this one on the 28th...

Aside from the run, I went to Body Sculpt Hot Yoga yesterday morning. I swear we did a solid 30 minutes of abs/core work. It was brutal. And then there was all the usual stuff - lunges around the room, squats around the room, bear crawl around the room, crab crawl half way, dolphin pushups, etc. My butt is sore, and there's a small area on my abs that's actually sore for the first time in months.

I also walked another mile or so yesterday for random stuff.

This morning I went to Hot Yoga Power Hour! My legs were still pretty fatigued, so doing all the horse stances was really tough. We did several minutes of planks, plus side planks and reverse planks, plus burpees, up-dogs and down-dogs in rapid succession, and more core stuff. I feel like I could sleep for a day.

It's been REALLY foggy all morning, but it looks like it's finally cleared up enough for me to walk the dogs. I almost get run over enough while walking them, so I certainly don't need the added bonus of low visibility to help the retarded motorists around here. :P

Oh, and a food update on my Killer Smoothies! Usually I use plain yogurt in them, but in an effort to continue reducing the amount of animal products I consume, I tried making one with silken tofu yesterday, and it was great! I could hardly tell the difference. So, yay, progress!

EDIT: Walked all five dogs (even Boomer) 1.8 miles.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

-Mary Hollinshead

Ran 1.7 miles (9:21 pace) with Azu this morning and had Tibetan 21 hot yoga this evening. It wasn't as crazy hard as usual, but was still a great workout. Afterwards I practiced my supported headstand and held it for almost 2 minutes. :) Continuing to grease the groove on the neg pullups.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

-Mary Hollinshead

Taught yoga from 6-7 this morning. I couldn't decide on what sort of lesson plan I wanted to go with until yesterday, but I think it turned out really well! We started out with some breathing and Sun Salutations to get warmed up. During our first water break I read a quote by the Dalai Lama that I came across:

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."

Next we did some traditional and Bikram-style active stretching poses - (half moon, backbend, standing hands to heels) x 2, Hatha triangle, separate leg forehead to knee on each side, separate leg stretch.

After that series we did several slow reps of plow before going into shoulderstand, then worked on preparatory poses for supported headstand - two variations of fish, cow face on both sides, two variations of eagle on each side, and dolphin. Those all get the shoulders opened up so next we practiced supported headstands, and several people besides me did it! :)

After that we finished up with child's pose, cobra, pigeon, spine twist, and savasana.

After class I showered and walked all five dogs 2.6 miles. Beautiful morning for a walk.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

-Mary Hollinshead

Your yoga class sounds awesome! I would love to take it sometime. I'll copy this set and use it for a Saturday practice (I'm thinking my next challenge will have a yoga focus to it).

Have you thought about getting certified at all?

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Aw, thanks. :) I think it was pretty fun! Let me know how the routine works out for you. If you do yoga in your next challenge, do you think you'll do it at home or at a studio somewhere?

+++

Yesterday and today I've been greasing the groove on the neg pullups. Like I said in my challenge thread, I've been working on lowing myself down more slowly. Still don't have the strength to get up there, though. :(

Yesterday morning I walked the dogs to the farmer's market and back (2 miles), then had an hour of hot yoga. That was it for real exercise, but I was on my feet cooking for the next4 or 5 hours, so I guess that counts for something. I made the ratatouille and zucchini garlic soup that catspaw posted in her thread, as well as brussels sprout potato hash and regular old roasted veggies (carrots, eggplant, zucchini, squash, brussels sprouts, onions, garlic, red and green bell peppers). It all came out really well except for the stupid couscous I made to go with the ratatouille! It didn't absorb the water like I told it to. So, yeah, leave it to me to screw up the easiest part of the meal, hehe. ;P

This morning Azu and I ran a 5K to the dog park. We finished in 28:01 (with two short pee breaks for Azu and a brief traffic light, during which my phone paused the clock) for a pace of 8:59/mile or 5:53/km, which, aside from a 1.5 mile run I did a week or two ago, is the fastest pace I've had yet. I felt like I was going slowly, probably because the dry weather is making it harder for me to breathe. My mouth and throat get SO dry when I run in low humidity. Blech.

Walked another mile or so before and after the run and at the dog park.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

-Mary Hollinshead