LoD's Post-Baby Challenge

Fenugreek for the win!

I haven't had luck with the cookies but I have had luck adding more starches to my paleo diet. I think the cookies do the same thing (add calories) but are probably more fun (in case you run out of cookies-try eating more sweet potatoes or just eating more-I always forget to eat and it really wrecks my supply).

Yeah, I keep having to remind myself to eat, which is weird to me (before I went even a little paleo I never had that problem). But the cookies do sound fun.

They're overrated.  Trust me on this.

Oh, I know. I just hate having stuff I *can't* do. I am an innately contrary person. Tell me I can't do something and I very much want to do that thing. Even when I know there's a good reason, like recovering after childbirth, it still makes me itchy.

I used a fenugreek supplement and it was immediately helpful. Plus, maple syrup.

Okay, you convinced me. I'ma hit the health food store tomorrow.

Honestly, that is an amazing bright side. I am so happy for you.

It really kind of is. I have to remind myself of how awesome it is when the hormonal roller coaster starts to get me.

Week 1, Days 2 and 3:

Yesterday was kind of horrible. HoD went to help his aunt with stuff she needs help with (she's in her 60s and still very active but with a tendency to overdo because she forgets that she's in her 60s). This left me home alone with all 3 kids because C was home from school due to this cough thing she can't seem to shake. 2 out of 3 kids napped, but I could not get K to nap to save my life. Sometimes she will and sometimes she won't for me, and this was just one of the won't days. I was so frustrated I was in tears by the time HoD got home, but part of that was because I hadn't eaten in like 6 hours due to trying deperately to get K to nap. Once I ate it was like a switch flipped; I keep forgetting how negatively low blood sugar affects me. No nap for me, but I had slept in until almost 10, so I got plenty of sleep. Water yes. No walk because stupid cold front and by the time HoD got home my postpartum tension headache was in full swing (It likes the evenings for some reason). 

The Bright Side: My sister R (who is living with us to finish up high school; long story) came home from school and immediately started doing dishes and cleaning up the kitchen. Without being asked or anything. Because she's awesome.

Today was better. HoD stayed home. C went to school in the morning, but they sent her home before noon. Apparently this thing going around doesn't have a fever with it. Wish I could convince her to take something, but she hates medicine, and I don't want to force her unless there's actual danger to her health. I just hate listening to her cough. She won't even take cough drops. I'm seriously considering getting her some hard candies to suck on; not sure if it'll help or not. Sleep, check, water, check. Walk, no; I need to get on that. I think it's supposed to be warmer tomorrow. *checks forecast* yeah, a little. Shooting for a walk tomorrow!

The Bright Side: My sister H offered me some venison bacon burgers b/c her boyfriend apparently won't eat leftovers. Score!!!!!

Mission Tracker:

Sleep: 3/42 

Drink: 3/42

Walk: 0/18

Breathe: 3/42

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

I know it sucks, but it's probably better to let her cough it out. The cough will actually help clear everything out of her system. You're doing great even while taking care of all your kids. Keep rocking it!

Yeah, you're right. I just had a lingering cough myself and I remember how much it sucked. Thanks for the kind words.

In other news (international news, even) how awesome is this? http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57611796-1/to-ride-the-moscow-subway-for-free-do-30-squats/?ttag=fbwp

Current Challenge

Nothing quite like finally lying down to sleep around 11, after several times of taking K back to bed and lying down with her until she falls asleep, only to have her crawl into my bed, then vomit. And by the time I got a chance to wash the vomit out of my hair, the hot water was almost all gone. Ah, the glamorous life of a parent. 

My kids seriously get sick every time I have a new baby. Subconscious cry for attention?

Current Challenge

Sisters for the WIN!  and HoD for the win!

As for the kiddo - will she drink warm tea with honey and lemon? helps with the itch, tickle, and gunk.  Hard candy is not a bad idea, honestly. 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Hope spawn perks up soon.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Hope K start's feeling better soon. My mom always made me lemon tea and added ginger ale to it (bubbles help make tea a bit more appealing to little ones). I'm sure club soda and a little honey or maple syrup would do in a pinch if you don't want to give her pop. Tea is the cure for everything.

If you manage to get brewers yeast and depending on your diet you might want to try adding it onto popcorn. When I was vegan it was one of the best ways for me to get vitamin B12.

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

Sisters for the WIN!  and HoD for the win!

As for the kiddo - will she drink warm tea with honey and lemon? helps with the itch, tickle, and gunk.  Hard candy is not a bad idea, honestly. 

May have to try the warm tea. She's sooooo picky. I thought she'd take the cough drops, since they're non-menthol, but she's super paranoid about anything that smacks of medicine. 

Hope spawn perks up soon.

We're doing better; still not 100%, but better

Hope K start's feeling better soon. My mom always made me lemon tea and added ginger ale to it (bubbles help make tea a bit more appealing to little ones). I'm sure club soda and a little honey or maple syrup would do in a pinch if you don't want to give her pop. Tea is the cure for everything.

If you manage to get brewers yeast and depending on your diet you might want to try adding it onto popcorn. When I was vegan it was one of the best ways for me to get vitamin B12.

I hadn't thought of the bubbles, but that's definitely a thought. I did find brewer's yeast; health food store for the win! May have to try it on popcorn.

Could be stress? It takes up your body's attention so you don't have as much energy to fight off colds.

Could be. Or it could just be that C is in school for the first time this year and her immune system is adjusting to the cesspool of disease. Who knows. I just find it interesting, since C had some kind of bug right at the time K was born, and now again. Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence...

Oh yuck, what a fun night.  Hope the little tike is feeling better today and that you get some rest in there.

It was not incredibly pleasant. Fortunately the vomiting has not been repeated (yet---knock on wood).

Week 1, Days 4 & 5:

As previously stated, there was some vomiting. And then C woke up the next morning and vomited. Fabulous. And HoD started feeling like he was going to vomit partway through the day, so there was no walking. I did get my 8 hours, and my water refills.

The Bright Side: A and I are not sick! I have a relatively ironclad immune system from working in schools for the past 6+ years, and thankfully the breastfeeding seems to be keeping him healthy!

Went and ran errands today, since we were out of almost everything. Stopped by the library to return books and found new books by two of my favorite comfort read authors! Went to the health food store and found fenugreek and brewer's yeast! Went and got groceries! And, thanks to some last-minute nursing at the library, A stayed asleep through all the rest of the errands!!!!

The Bright Side: I haven't needed to supplement since Sunday; this is the longest we've gone without supplementing! 

Mission Tracker:

Sleep: 5/42 

Drink: 5/42

Breathe: 5/42

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Sounds like you and the little guy are doing awesome! I'm hoping the rest of the fam feels better soon!

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

I'm glad things are going well (well not the sickness but that will pass).

Is the baby soooo awesomely cute??

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

That's a whole lot of bright side! :)

It really is!

Oh, yeah, if it's the kid's first time in school there will be new germs galore. Glad you're not sick!

Yeah, I was afraid I'd be sick all the time when I started working in schools, but my immune system is apparently very strong (even when I wasn't super healthy). I usually get sick once during the year and that's it (last school year I almost made it the entire year, but got sick the last week of school....so close!)

Sounds like you and the little guy are doing awesome! I'm hoping the rest of the fam feels better soon!

Me too! And hoping the two of us can continue to do awesomely!

I'm glad things are going well (well not the sickness but that will pass).

Is the baby soooo awesomely cute??

He really really is. Will try to provide photographic evidence stat.

Eep. I'll send a care package w/pedialite and barf bags stat. 

Fortunately, there was just the one instance of vomiting. Now they're just super whiny (which means they're getting better, because they have the energy to be whiny, but is still horribly grating). There has been lots of bribing with extra TV shows for the sake of our sanity.

Week 1, Day 6:

Same song, 109352nd verse. Slept in until after 10 because K does not sleep well when she's sick, so she kept me from having a very deep or restful sleep during the night. Actually showered and got dressed to go for a walk but was foiled by hungry baby who only wanted to nurse. Will try again tomorrow. Sleep yes, water yes.

The Bright Side: My youngest brother just proposed to his awesome (and awesomely nerdy) girlfriend and she said yes! Although I have sometimes questioned my siblings' taste in who they choose to date, they've always chosen well when it comes to a permanent relationship, and this time is no exception. I'm so excited and happy for them! (and not just because they're probably going to have a super nerdy wedding). She's an amazing person and she has seen what an amazing person he is.

Mission Tracker:

Sleep: 6/42 

Drink: 6/42

Breathe: 6/42

Current Challenge

Yahh for little Bro. Nerdy wedding sounds like fun.   Glad to hear everyone's getting a little better, hopefully everyone gets well again and it doesn't start all over again.....

Nice work on all your challenge goals.  I definitely remember for my first my sleeping patterns definitely changes and my best sleep was actually that morning sleep waking at 9-10 am, never been able to do it since but it was great at the time.  Glad to hear the feedings going pretty well.  Hopefully it all continues without any hiccups.

Level 6, Ranger

Challenge I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X Current Challenge

My Sewing Blog

Yea new sister in law!!!! I have two: one I love who is an amazing person and one I don't know at all. Lol. I love my inlaws

I AM going the distance

Yahh for little Bro. Nerdy wedding sounds like fun.   Glad to hear everyone's getting a little better, hopefully everyone gets well again and it doesn't start all over again.....

Nice work on all your challenge goals.  I definitely remember for my first my sleeping patterns definitely changes and my best sleep was actually that morning sleep waking at 9-10 am, never been able to do it since but it was great at the time.  Glad to hear the feedings going pretty well.  Hopefully it all continues without any hiccups.

Yeah, the ironic thing about the sleeping is that it's not the baby who's disrupting my sleep. He wakes up, I latch him on, I go back to sleep. It's K who's messing me up; she has trouble falling deeply asleep because of the congestion, and her nervous habit is to run her fingers through my hair, which, when she's 3/4 asleep, has a tendency to also involve accidentally pulling my hair/poking me in the eye/scratching my face. So neither of us is getting much sleep....

Yea new sister in law!!!! I have two: one I love who is an amazing person and one I don't know at all. Lol. I love my inlaws

I have 6 siblings, all younger. 3 are either married or engaged, 3 are not yet. So far, all awesome! Hoping for a clean sweep.

Baby! Glad to see the Doom family is holding it together in the face of illness

We're doing our best! 

Week 1, Day 7:

More of the same. Think the fenugreek is actually affecting my milk supply, as A has been willing to nap more today, rather than spending all day frantically nursing--what a relief! On the down side, HoD is definitely feeling sick. Sleep yes, water yes, walk no; I have been wrangling children most of the day. Hopefully A will continue to be more willing to nap or just hang out so I can actually start getting walks/exercise in. 

The Bright Side: Was able to brain freeze myself out of my daily migraine/tension headache. Really hoping that these don't continue for 6 months postpartum as I have heard they can. But on the bright side, if they do, there's a good excuse for ice cream!

Mission Tracker:

Sleep: 7/42 

Drink: 7/42

Breathe: 7/42

Current Challenge

I think I am in love with those cheeks.... I just wanna pinch them!

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines