Getting Strong Now - GIJoe's Battle Log

Well, I didn't really update previous posts.  I guess I wasn't mentally "ready" to change my life.  I'm looking at things totally different this time.  I'm not "dieting" or "dropping a few pounds" or any of that stuff.  I'm CHANGING the foods I eat.  I'm CHANGING the way I treat my body.  I'm CHANGING my health.  And I'm not just changing it for a week, a month, or a year.  I'm changing it permanently.  I'm not going to tell myself I can't have something, or that I can't do something.  From here on out I DON'T eat out for every meal.  I DON'T drink sodas like they are water.  And I DON'T eat Italian/Mexican/burgers every single night or dinner.

Now the things that I plan on doing:

Prepping my own food.  I'm not sure how well this part will really go until December.  I've got less than a week at home, then I'm on the road again for work.  I'm going to attempt to make my own food when I'm in a hotel room, but depending on what hotel I end up in, that may not be practical.  I'll definitely try my hardest though to make it happen.

Lifting heavy things.  Signed up for a week trial in a gym.  Before I even asked if deads and power cleans were allowed, the guy giving me the tour said "if you plan on doing power cleans, or deadlifts, we have some mats to put under the weight, to muffle some of the sound".  That exactly what I wanted to hear!  Went down to the store and picked up a padlock use to on the locker, grabbed my gym bag out of the car, and got to work!

I am planning on following Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength, at least for now.  Its a very plane jane, easy to follow routine that gives you those feel good results of lifting more and more each workout.  I know how my mind works, and I truly believe that will help keep me motivated.

Now on to the actual logging parts:

Day 1 was all about getting my starting numbers.  I'm sure a lot of you know all about Starting Strength, but for those of you who don't.  You start with the bar lifting sets of 5 reps.  You add weights in small increments until the reps slow down.  Once the reps slow, that is the starting point.  You take as much time to rest as you need, until you no longer feel the muscle fatigue before doing the next set.  I probably did mine a little too fast between sets, but that's the eagerness, and I believe, in time, I'll figure this out a little better.  I'm pretty much a total weight lifting noob.

Low bar back squats.  3 sets, 5 reps, 135lbs.  I've never done these before, so I was a little nervous about doing something wrong.  But it didn't seem too bad.  I don't think I spread my knees quite far enough, but I wasn't lifting my heels, I kept my chest up, and did my squats.  Much lower than I expected, based on some screwing around I've done in a work gym years ago, just to see how much I could lift.  I think as my confidence and my form improves, the weight I'm moving will skyrocket.

Bench press.  3 sets, 5 reps, 125 lbs.  Ah, the good ol' bench.  Everyone seems to like these.  Probably the one weight lifting exercise I'm actually somewhat familiar with.  Never really followed a workout plan with them, but it always seems like every 6 months or so, ever since i was about 12, I'd end up on a bench, just trying to see what my max is.  I KNOW my 1RM is 165lbs.  Well, at least it was back in May.  I don't see it having changed that much since then.

Dead lifts.  1 set, 5 reps, 185 lbs.  The lift I was the most excited about.  Maybe a little too excited.  175 lbs went up as easy as 115 lbs, but 185 lbs slowed me down more than it should have.  Will probably knock the weight down to 155 or so the next time I do these.  One of the biggest issues with the Starting Strength program is people starting higher than they should, and with the dead lifts, I think I may have done that.  Since its a linear progression program, and you add more weight every workout, the 30 lbs I'm planning on knocking off, I'll have made back up within 4 workouts.  I'd rather start too low than too high.

Starting stats:

Height: 6'1"

Weight 221.6 lbs

Neck: 17"

Shoulders: 45"

Chest 41.5"

Left Bicep: 14"

Waist: 40.5"

Hips: 42.5"

Left Thigh: 23.5"

"The world meets nobody halfway. When you want something, you gotta take it." -Lincoln Hawk, Over The Top.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39221-getting-strong-now-gijoes-battle-log/

Prepping my own food.  I'm not sure how well this part will really go until December.  I've got less than a week at home, then I'm on the road again for work.  I'm going to attempt to make my own food when I'm in a hotel room, but depending on what hotel I end up in, that may not be practical.  I'll definitely try my hardest though to make it happen.

Don't discount the amazingness of a microwave.  You can easily cook up zuchinni "noodles" as I discovered this week, my folks cook up sweet potatoes all the time in the microwave.  If you have one with a convection oven feature (you're lucky) and you can get rocking with some hotel room cooking.

-RescuedRuckus

Don't Give Up the Ship

Some hotels I've stayed in don't even have a microwave and fridge.  I'm more concerned with the lack of fridge.  I can always go buy a microwave.  I don't have one at home now, so I could always bring it back with me.

"The world meets nobody halfway. When you want something, you gotta take it." -Lincoln Hawk, Over The Top.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39221-getting-strong-now-gijoes-battle-log/

Simple enough day today. Bumped squats up to 155 lbs.

Started on my overhead press. Ended up slowing down at 60lbs, so that was where i did my 3 sets of 5. I didnt expect much out of OHP. I know I could do more, but once again, i'd rather not start too high. I'll get there.

Bumped my deads up to 195, even though i had told myself last time i would deload, because i thought i started too high. Oh well. I'll just keep going until i stall and i'll address it then.

Now, its time for some noms!

Didn't follow starting strength for Day 3 in the gym.  I was working out with a co-worker, so i kinda followed his plan... which wasn't really too much of a "plan" per se.  We did dead lifts, high bar back squats, front squats, leg press, leg extensions, and leg curls.  Only weights I'm concerned with posting are back squats and deadlifts....  soooo...here are the numbers.  I'm REALLY happy with myself considering I've been working out for a week, so, in essence, these are basically my starting numbers.

After all my warmup sets, and a couple workout sets of deadlifts around 225 lbs, I tried a little heavier weight.  315 lbs wasn't going to happen (what my gym partner was working out with).  I could get the weight about 6-8" off the ground and that was it.  Ended up dropping the weight down to 275 lbs, and with a little struggling, managed to get 2 reps on it.  I'm DEFINITELY happy with that!

Back squats, I started off at around 145 for a couple work sets, then bumped it up to 185.  It was a struggle, but I got in my 5 reps.  I probably could have gotten another couple reps, but I don't think I could have gone up higher in weight, even for 1 or 2 reps.

Today was another non-starting strength day. Going along with the coworkers workout. Started off with bench press. Did 5 reps at 135. And 2 sets of 5 reps at 155. Then we did barbell shrugs. 2 sets of 5 reps at 225 lbs. Then incline bench. 2 sets of 5 reps and 1 set of 4 reps (failed the 5th rep) at 135 lbs. Then decline bench, 2 sets of 5 reps, 1 set of 3 at 135 lbs. After that was overhead press. 1 set of 5 at 85 lbs. Then 1 set of 5 at 75 lbs.

I'm kinda looking forward to going back to a more structured plan. This workout seemed a little misguided, and we were just kinda doing what he felt like doing. Tomorrow will be my last day working out with him, and after that, I'll go to something much more structured. Either back to starting strength, or to something that focuses more on upper body strength, since I'm seriously lacking in that area. I'm kinda more interested in hypertrophy than I am in gaining raw strength, but I still think I need that good strength base to start with.

Back at it with the starting strength program. Wish I hadnt detoured from it.

Yesterday, was 3 sets of 5 reps at 155 lbs in squats. 3x5 at 140 lbs on the bench press. And 1x5 at 205 lbs on the deadlift.

Have been on creatine for a week. Hopefully soon its effects will kick in. I probably wont actually notice them because of the way the program works out, but either way, i've read its very helpful to be on creatine.

Started counting calories again using the LoseIt app. I know with SS, the program says you should be eating way above maintenance, but my goal isnt to be a powerlifter. My goal is to be a bit stronger, a bit healthier, and a lot leaner. According to LoseIt, my target is 2194 cal/day. I'm going to be shooting for between 2000-2400 cal/day. I'm sure some days i'll be over, some i'll be below, and i'm not weighing food or anything, so its not going to be super accurate, but its better than what i am currently doing.

Gotta get strong and looking fit for the TTTT in just over 2 months!

Haven't updated this in forever, and I've attempted (but failed) several challenges, so I figured I should just keep up a battle log instead of dealing with challenges.  At least until I get to where I am posting regularly.  Then MAYBE i'll step in and attempt another warrior challenge.  This is more for my tracking than anything, because it always seems like I lose my spreadsheet.

Current lifts:

Deadlift: 240

Squat:    215

Press:      85

Bench:   145

Restarting Starting Strength after a 2 month hiatus (due to school/work).

Current body weight is 230.

Using protein powder for the first time, to get my protein numbers up over 150g/day.  Its still not ideal, but it's much more than I've ever had before.  I'm mixing this in with a diet rebuild.  Once I get accustomed to the different foods, I'll adjust how many scoops I put in my shakes.

Short-term goal that is theoretically attainable by Jan 31...  4 plate deadlift (405) / 3 plate squat (315) / 2 plate bench (225) / 1 plate press (135)

And at the same time, drop 10lbs getting me back below 220.

I've set my goals high, because without that, i'll procrastinate and figure "oh, i have plenty of time".  It is a personal thing.  Even if I don't succeed, I will be happy if I get close, and it will push me that much harder in February to attain my missed goals.

WHEN i hit those goals, I will reevaluate where I want to go with my fitness.

20141128-lift-chart_zpsb168bc4d.png

New barbell has been ordered.  Current one has a max weight of 300, which by projections, i should be hitting that in deadlifts on 12/21/2014.  So hopefully the 3 weeks will give me plenty of time to get the new bar in, and find some more weight on craigslist.  I'll use the old bar for the "in the rack" stuff (squats and bench) and the new one for the "out of the rack" stuff.  Press, rows, and deadlifts.  New bar is a Rogue 2.0

The PRs continue...

Squats 225x3x5.  (PR)

Bench 155x3x5.

Rows 115x3x5.   (PR)

Body weight: 227.8

I think the body weight drop is mostly due to water weight.  I'd expect it to rapidly drop to around 224-225, then slow down to the 1-2 lbs per week.  Granted, if it continues at this pace until 200-205 I'd be ok with that too!

Barbell rows are not on my chart, because they aren't an "important lift" to me.  At least not as far as maxing them out.  Progress is good, but not as big of a deal as squats, bench, and deadlifts.

20141130-lift-chart_zps31cb4ac6.png

Squats:  250x3x5. (PR)

Press:  90x3x5.  (For reps, PR)  highest ever actual (not calculated) 1RM is 105.

Deadlifts:  275x1x5.  (For reps, PR)  highest ever actual (not calculated) 1RM is 300.

Weight: 229

Body weight is up a little bit, but I'm not overly concerned.  It will slowly start working its way down, and i'm still under my current progress goal.  

Warmups felt great with squats, so I upped them quite a bit, instead of my schedule 10lbs.  Nailed the first 2 sets fairly easily.  Felt like I could have had 50 more pounds on there.  It took its toll on the third set.  On the third, the first three reps were cake.  When I went down on the 4th rep, i was ready to explode up... then BAM!  bar hit the safeties.  Not sure what happened.  Don't know if I was just off balance, or didn't rest long enough between set 2 and 3, or maybe went slightly lower than I anticipated.  This frustrated me, so I gave myself 5 or 6 minutes rest, reracked the bar, reloaded the weight, and nailed the final set of 5.  Will not increase by 25 lbs again.  Will go back to only upping by 10 lbs per workout.  3 plate squat is much closer than I ever anticipated.

Press was a pain in the ass, as usual.  1st set was horrid.  2nd set seemed easy.  3rd set was horrid again.  I have some micro plates so I can increase in smaller increments.  Once I stall at 5lbs jumps, i'm going to switch to those.  Also may go for a deload and increase volume.

Warmups felt great on deadlift like they did for squats.  Told myself there is no way my squats could be higher than my deadlifts!  So I ended up bumping the weight on those quite a bit as well.   Hit 275 fairly easily.

I am really enjoying lifting again.  Hopefully I can ride the newbie-gain-train for a long long time.

And damn, my progress chart is looking good!  lol

20141202-lift-chart_zps9a11206b.png

Since I am quickly nearing the 300 pound mark on deadlifts and squats, I invested in some more weight off of craigslist.  Picked up 405 lbs of plates for a decent price.  Current barbell is only rated for 300, but my Rogue 2.0 should be arriving tomorrow.  705 total pounds should last me quite a while.

BillardPlates_zps55b22a16.jpg

Had a couple off days.  Missed 1 workout due to having to get some family stuff done, and on the next one, I did my squats, then had a weird feeling in my elbow during bench press.  Not waiting to put my elbow into serious pain, I decided to call it quits on that workout.  I'd rather miss an extra workout there, instead of a couple weeks waiting for some serious pain to go away.

Lifts on the 9th were....

Squats:  255x3x5  (for reps PR)

OHP:        85x3x5

Deadlift: 300x1x5  (tied with my old 1RM PR!!  Every deadlift workout from here on up will be a total weight PR)

Squats I will only be making 5 lbs jumps here on out.

I'm going to take it really easy on OHP.  They are kicking my ass as it is, and I have some microplates so I can microload on them.  maybe go up in 1.25 or 2.5lbs increments.  Have the ability to go up even smaller increments if needed.

That deadlift set was rough.  Going to drop down to a 5 jump next time.  If it goes fairly easily, I may go back to 10 lbs jumps.  If 305 kicks my ass, I'll stick to 5 lbs jumps.

Progress will definitely be slow from here on out, but progress is progress.  Don't think I will be hitting my goals by the end of january for workout weights, but I am still going to try.  And if all else fails, I may just see if I can 1RM my goals then.  Even that would be an accomplishment.

20141209-lift-chart_zpsa4c41863.png

Squats:  260x3x5 (PR)

Bench Press: 160 for 4/5/4

And getting rid of barbell rows.  Switching to chinups/pullups.  But I'm not going to do chinups and pullups on my workout days.  I will be doing them on my non-lifting days, so i'm most rested for them.  Trying to do them after bench press is NOT gonna be able to happen.  Squatting heavy and bench wipes me out.  Want to be able to maximize dem gainzzz.

I'm nearing in on my bench press PR.  My for reps PR is 175x3x5.  I'm looking forward to getting to that, and beyond.

Body weight is down to right around 227.  Yesterday I weighed in at 227, and today 227.2.   Hopefully the downward trend continues!

20141211-lift-chart_zps0a8cd82e.png

Been absolutely slacking as off late.  Totally not okay in my book.

Last workout, I got 265 on squats, 90 on OHP press, and attempted 315 on deadlifts.  Failed the deadlifts set.  Only got 3 reps, when I was shooting for 5.  It isn't a stall unless I fail that weight for 3 workouts in a row, so hopefully I can pull that 4th and 5th rep.  Rep 4 felt like it was nailed to the platform last time.

Today, I did:

Squats:  270 (PR)

Bench:  165

Weight has been up and down, mostly up, as of late.  My discipline has been lacking in lifting and eating, and I've been having more sweet tea and sodas than I should.  I also started eating out again, which is hurting the wallet and the body.  Going to attempt to get this back under control.  Have also been allowing myself to make excuses for not lifting every other day like I should be.  This also needs to stop.  It'll take me forever to reach my goals if I keep putting them off, one day at a time.

20141221-lift-chart_zps58f99f43.png

Have been lacking in the motivation department, so I decided to 1RM my squats out of curiosity.  And I blew my previous PR out of the water.   My new 1RM at a weight of 230lbs is a 325lbs squat!

Missed a couple updates.  Oh well.   Here is my lifts for New Years Day.

Squats:  285x3x5 (for reps PR)

Bench:  170x4/5/3

Pullups:  +0x2/2/3

Squats were a little tough, but nothing I couldn't handle.  I am focusing on taking less time between each rep and getting the sets over and done a little faster.  I had been taken up to 5 breaths between reps, based on how long I felt I needed.  Now I'm (for the most part) doing 1 breath per rep.  The 5th rep sometimes needs an extra breath or two, but I'm still shooting for getting them done as quickly as possible.  Gotta force the body to change.

Bench press was a little rough today.  I think the first set was a failure because I wasn't fully recovered from my squats by the time I started benching.  3rd set, I have no clue what happened, I just couldn't do it.  I don't think a longer rest period between sets would have helped.  I am going to repeat this weight on the next bench day, and we will see what happens.

Going to start alternating pullups and chinups on my bench press days, instead of on off days, because I never got around to doing them on my off days like I had planned.  2/2/3 is far from my best ever, but I haven't really trained them in 2+ years, so it is just a starting point.  Hopefully I'll get back up to sets of 8-10 before too long.  Once I am getting 3x10, I'll get a belt and start adding weight 5lbs at a time, then working back up to 3x10.

20150101-lift-chart_zps9032bd09.png

I have also noticed that some of my clothes are starting to get a little tighter in the chest.  Definitely a good thing.  Even though my weight isn't going down, where it is locating is definitely moving around a bit.  Doesn't appear to be much difference, but it certainly FEELS like my belly is losing a little fat, while my chest and thighs are growing a bit.

The main measurements I care about

11/16/2014

Weight:  231.4

Neck:     18

Chest:    43

Waist:     41.5

1/2/2015

Weight:  227.4

Neck:     17

Chest:    44

Waist:     40

My York weight tree came in today, and I got it assembled.  It will work, but a few of the welds on it are a bit sloppy.  Now that I've looked it over in person, I probably wouldn't order another one.  I would look for another product, but its just good enough that its not worth my time or effort to return it.

weight-tree_zps28c37032.jpg

That's a nice shift in inches in just a couple of months!

I am most definitely happy with it!  Hopefully it'll keep up.  I feel bigger in a good way, and trimmer at the same time.

Beast mode, sucka!!

Squats: 2x5x290+4

Press:  3x5x95

Deadlift: 1x5x315

Weight: 226.8 lbs

Squats were going great, until the third set.  Failed on the last rep.  Didn't rest long enough between sets 2 and 3.  So i'll still increase the weight next time.  Rep 4 seemed extra tough, so i SHOULD have paused at the top to catch an extra couple breaths, but I went for it anyhow.  Oh well.  295 next time will be a 3x5!

Press was ok.  Still don't have enough mobility in my shoulder, but i'm just doing the best i can with what i can.  I need to stop slacking and do some shoulder dislocation stretching instead of just saying I am going to and then never do them.

Deadlifts.... i was worried about these..   First time I tried 315, i got 3 reps out of 5.  Second time I tried, i got 0 reps.  This time... if i didn't get all 5, it was going to be considered a stall with a 10% deload...  I beasted through them all!  Seemed fairly easily actually!  Hopefully 320 next time feels just as easy.

Weight is at its record low since I started tracking this round of working out, mid-November.  It has had a lot of ups and downs throughout the holidays, but hopefully, from here on out, it'll be on a VERY steady decline.  1/2 lbs a week would be about perfect for me, I think.  Then, once my lifts start to stall (if I haven't reached my 405 squat goal by then) I'll up the caloric intake a bit to hopefully push through.

If I ever reach the 4plate deadlift/4plate squat/2 plate bench... I'll re-evaluate then.  Either switch to a cut and some hypertrophy, or continue on with the gainzzz if they are still coming rapidly.

20150103-lift-chart_zps52a449d7.png