• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I’m joedog. I’m a 38 year old woman living in southern Missouri in the US. I live with my partner and our herd of house pets:  3 dogs, 4 cats and a herd of mice who are wisely staying in the garage. I’ve played both rugby and American football. I was at the peak of my fitness about 6 years ago after losing 100 lbs. I had a staggering bout of depression and went back to being a girl who eats her pain. I gained back the 100 plus interest. This will be my 7th challenge. I haven’t been terribly successful so far between depression and a bum knee. I recently joined Title Boxing gym which I think is going to help me turn the corner. I just cannot drive myself to the level of intensity I need without a trainer pushing me. I weighed 327 lbs when I first logged on NF. Currently at 312 lbs. I have been lower but I gained some back last challenge. I think if I do well this challenge I can get below 300 which would be awesome sauce! 

Main Quest:

Lose at least 100 lbs and have some time at maintenance before my 40th birthday. I have 23 months until my 40th birthday.

Goal 1) Attend boxing or kickboxing classes at Title Boxing Gym 3 times per week. I prefer boxing but the kick boxing class definitely hits some muscles that need to be hit. 3x = A, 2x = B, 1x = C, 0 = F. Total challenge grading based on average days per week.

Goal 2) Food. I will be tracking what I eat daily. I am shooting for 2250 calories per day. As the challenge progresses I will start adjusting what I’m eating within that calorie limit so that I’m getting >150g of protein per day and <130g of carbs. Within 5% of goal = A, within 10% of goal = B, within 15% of goal = C, greater than 15% = F.

Goal 3) Kill the television. I have never been one to watch a lot of television until the last couple of years or so. Now it has become a main focus and that’s not okay. I will not give in to the gravitational force of the tv each day until all the other things I need to do are done. Each day will have different chores. An example would be things like food prep for the next day, preparing my gym bag for the next day, household chores and so on. 6/7 days = A, 4/7 days = B, 2/7 days = C, Less than 2 = F. Total challenge grading based on average days per week.

I’m only doing 3 goals this time so I can focus. I’ve had a hard time completing challenges in the past so I’ve tried to make it as simple as possible. Each of my 3 goals supports the other 2 which in turn supports my Main Quest of weight loss. I am going to continue the hot yoga deep stretch class once a week if I can because that was so wonderful for my body and also my mind but I didn’t want to make it a goal because I’m not totally in control of that situation. 

• Like 1

Last night's boxing class was tough. I was with a different trainer. He was at a whole new level of intense. And the little naysayer in the back of my mind picked up a pre-shark week power up so I had to listen to that up through the second round of boxing drills. I had to mentally talk myself out of walking out all while keeping my feet moving. I took fewer water breaks which means I kept moving for more of the class. He also did a better job of explaining technique so I feel like I was throwing better punches if not very fast or powerful. I also learned a new kind of pain last night called ab cramps. 

My long term goal planning included making a life goal sometime in 2014 of going to the dentist. I've been putting it off for far too long. I decided to wait until after the new year began so all the work would fall into one calendar year for the insurance. That plan has been set awry. I either lost a filling or a big chunk of tooth. The pain is manageable as long as I only chew with one side of my mouth. I have an appointment for tomorrow. 

Well! Looks like your work is going to be cut out for you. But boxing is as good a way to train and get strong and lose weight as any other.

Let us know what we can do to help you over here!

My long term goal planning included making a life goal sometime in 2014 of going to the dentist. I've been putting it off for far too long. I decided to wait until after the new year began so all the work would fall into one calendar year for the insurance. That plan has been set awry. I either lost a filling or a big chunk of tooth. The pain is manageable as long as I only chew with one side of my mouth. I have an appointment for tomorrow. 

That sucks. I lost a crown as a kid and the filling later. I'd had it refilled several times and never recrowned.  The tooth eventually snapped off and I need it pulled.  Get that beast taken care of.

Goals look solid. When I started boxing I was eating horribly, cheap chinese and whatnot. I still dropped 50 lbs. You'll get below 300 easy.

*sneaks in to say hello* I'm still here with you hunny.  Glad to you see graduating to the Monks.

I'd like you to review the phrase "I haven’t been terribly successful so far between depression and a bum knee"  I have been with you the whole time and *I* have seen how successful you have been.  This is pre-sharkweek powered up naysayer talking - punch her in the face, hard!  Do it now!!  Plus boxing is so much fun, our trainer started adding kicking in now and i am horribly uncoordinated for some reason (clearly my gymnast background is failing me) and find myself on my butt alot, but i am getting there.  You're so going to love it!!!

Welcome to the Monks, you're going to love it here.  Good luck this challenge.

Get rid of the TV. You would find you have plenty of time to do whatever you want.

It doesn't seem you haven't been successful so far, You know what works and what doesn't and look, there's a lot of people supporting you. That's always a good sign. =D

Welcome to the Monks =D

Well! Looks like your work is going to be cut out for you. But boxing is as good a way to train and get strong and lose weight as any other.

Let us know what we can do to help you over here!

Thanks Kishi! 

That sucks. I lost a crown as a kid and the filling later. I'd had it refilled several times and never recrowned.  The tooth eventually snapped off and I need it pulled.  Get that beast taken care of.

Goals look solid. When I started boxing I was eating horribly, cheap chinese and whatnot. I still dropped 50 lbs. You'll get below 300 easy.

I know you can't out run your fork but I really can't seem to focus on eating well if I'm not working out hard. It would be really nice to be below 300 for the new year! 

*sneaks in to say hello* I'm still here with you hunny.  Glad to you see graduating to the Monks.

I'd like you to review the phrase "I haven’t been terribly successful so far between depression and a bum knee"  I have been with you the whole time and *I* have seen how successful you have been.  This is pre-sharkweek powered up naysayer talking - punch her in the face, hard!  Do it now!!  Plus boxing is so much fun, our trainer started adding kicking in now and i am horribly uncoordinated for some reason (clearly my gymnast background is failing me) and find myself on my butt alot, but i am getting there.  You're so going to love it!!!

Welcome to the Monks, you're going to love it here.  Good luck this challenge.

I will be glad when the power up wears off. Boxing is awesome. I've done one kickboxing class. I couldn't believe how sore the muscles under my butt got. Not my hamstrings, I guess lower glutes. It was awesome/awful. I've got kickboxing again tonight. 

yo jo!!

you got this :)

I hope we can get together when I am close to you over turkey day week :)

I hope so too! I'm afraid I'm not going to have wheels though so it's pretty slim. Plus my Dad is going to be starting on some new crazy chemo which makes me not want to travel too far from home. 

You got this. Kick some butt. :D

Thanks Chickie! 

Get rid of the TV. You would find you have plenty of time to do whatever you want.

It doesn't seem you haven't been successful so far, You know what works and what doesn't and look, there's a lot of people supporting you. That's always a good sign. =D

Welcome to the Monks =D

Thanks for stopping by! I know you are right about the tv. Baby steps.  ;)

I got a temporary filling yesterday to hold me over until I can have a root canal. I'm feeling a lot better today. I didn't go to boxing yesterday because I really hadn't eaten enough to fuel a good work out. I've got my bag packed to go tonight and I can get my third one in on Saturday while my better half is at hot yoga. 

My dad had a PET scan last week to check the progression of his cancer. It wasn't as bad as it could have been but it wasn't very good either. The spots in his lungs and pancreas are bigger. There are more spots in his liver along with the original spots getting bigger. There may be a new spot in his colon but they aren't sure. And I think there is one in his kidneys but I need to study up on anatomy to make sure. They have suspended chemo here. He will be going to St Louis for treatments so they can try some new stuff. 

One of his neighbors is trying to convince him that a Native American tea will cure his cancer. Mom is set against it. I did at least convince Dad to mention it with his oncologist because there are some reports that it actually makes cancer grow faster. All I can think is that he needs to try kamala root. I had to try to explain that to Mom and Dad on Tuesday. Kamala root and Cylon blood. Dad is in favor of being injected with cylon blood so if anyone knows a cylon or cylon hybrid that is willing to help let me know. No matter what happens, this family will maintain our sense of humor in the face of adversity.   :tongue:  :D

Hi Joe *waves*

You're a monk! I think this will be a good fit for this challenge, have some fun with these crazy dudes :lol:

ZaZEf.jpg

I haven’t been terribly successful so far between depression and a bum knee.

I seem to remember a certain sugar related challenge where you did really well ;)

Glad to hear you are getting into the boxing, that's fantastic :positive:

Oh and I love your TV goal, that will make a big difference.

• Like 1

Jerky rotten tooth giving you trouble before the challenge starts!    Glad you can get it taken care of though, it will make doing all the rest easier.   So hard to focus when there is something amiss with your body.

Your boxing talk keeps making me want to get back to my Womens Only Boxing Gym - I was going once a week for a while, but my schedule got too nuts.   I really need to do this.    I joined it originally, so I could hit a heavy bag like Starbuck!  LOL.

Hello JoeDog!

Welcome to the Monestary!

Sorry to hear about your dad. :( Where did you hear about those Native American teas?

Your challenge looks solid! Great goals! :) I have a feeling this is going to be awesome! :D

I'm sure we've got a cylon or two hanging around the RTP area. I'll figure it out.

Thanks! That beats the hell out of driving 4 hours for chemo treatments! 

Cylon blood for the win! Glad your dad is hanging in there. Sending you lot good vibage!

Thanks for the vibes. He's a tough old bird. He has had stage 4 colon cancer for 3 years. He has had a total of 88 chemo treatments over the entire course of the disease. He's not going down without a fight. 

Hi Joe *waves*

You're a monk! I think this will be a good fit for this challenge, have some fun with these crazy dudes :lol:

ZaZEf.jpg

I seem to remember a certain sugar related challenge where you did really well ;)

Glad to hear you are getting into the boxing, that's fantastic :positive:

Oh and I love your TV goal, that will make a big difference.

You people just won't let me engage in negative self talk will you?  :D

A Tibetan Buddhist monk visited the college I attend. He left Tibet in the 1950's and spent most of his life in Alabama here in the US. They were having trouble with the sound system. When they finally got it going he said, "My Mama says if it has wires it's gonna cause problems." It was so funny hearing an Alabama accent come out of Tibetan monk.  :)

I join in the good vibages sending campaign. =D

Also:

This should be our Guild Logo and it should be everywhere. I want it in a shirt.

Thanks for the good vibes! I second the picture for Guild Logo! 

Jerky rotten tooth giving you trouble before the challenge starts!    Glad you can get it taken care of though, it will make doing all the rest easier.   So hard to focus when there is something amiss with your body.

Your boxing talk keeps making me want to get back to my Womens Only Boxing Gym - I was going once a week for a while, but my schedule got too nuts.   I really need to do this.    I joined it originally, so I could hit a heavy bag like Starbuck!  LOL.

Root canal is tomorrow. I keep reminding myself that I'm fortunate to be able to have it done. I don't think I realized how bad it had been hurting for a while now. 

Boxing is great. It's exactly what I needed. I'm excited to go, I hate how out of shape I am while I'm doing it and I'm glad I went after it's done. The trainers are able to push me harder than I can push myself so it's working out really well for me. 

I really enjoy boxing and kickboxing.  I'm going to follow this to see your progress.  Best of luck to you.

Welcome! Thank you! 

Hello JoeDog!

Welcome to the Monestary!

Sorry to hear about your dad. :( Where did you hear about those Native American teas?

Your challenge looks solid! Great goals! :) I have a feeling this is going to be awesome! :D

Thanks! One of Dad's neighbors has told him about it. It's called essiac tea. Most of what I've read about it says it really doesn't help. Logic tells me it probably won't help but he is at a point where "modern medicine" has nearly run it's course. His oncologist is pretty cool and will tell him if this stuff is bad but if it won't make it worse then the Doc will be okay with it. And if it drinking it makes Dad feel better then I don't care about any other parts.  :)

*HUUUUUUUGGGGS*

Sadly, I am all out of cylon blood here. But, I'm glad to see you here! YAY for being a monk!

Hi Kim! Glad you are back for this challenge! All the cool kids are monks now! 

I did kickboxing last Thursday evening and boxing Saturday. I went to the hot yoga deep stretch class yesterday. 

I had an asthma attack during kickboxing and no inhaler. Poorly planned. I stuck with it. I had to back off a little but I made myself concentrate on my breathing and I got through it. My lungs were much better Saturday. My muscles still think this is temporary and we'll be back on the couch soon. The joke is on them. I can feel a difference already.

It's so much easier for me to eat right when I'm working out. I'm having Amy hide the scales while I'm at work today. If I see myself making progress during the course of the challenge, I will slack off. I don't know if I'll ever be able to beat the slacker out of myself so I guess I'll just have to outsmart her.  :rolleyes:

Sounds like a great start!    I too experience that eating better if I am working out thing.    I crave GOOD foods when I am active, and crap foods when I am all slothy.    So weird.

Keep it up girl, you're doing great.

Your inner slacker does not have your best interests at heart. If she's gonna use the scale on you, then you do not owe it to her to do her any favors by having it out. Good move.

Sorry to hear about the asthma attack, though! I used to deal with that, and it still comes for me in the spring. :( It does get better the fitter you get, though, and I'm glad to see that you stuck it out. It's so tempting when something like that happens to just quit altogether, but you dug in and fought. Good. Just don't die. :)

I recently joined Title Boxing gym which I think is going to help me turn the corner. I just cannot drive myself to the level of intensity I need without a trainer pushing me.

I think it's awesome that you're self-aware enough to learn this about yourself.

rooting for you.

Your main quest is fantastic and long term too! I wish you to keep going strongly with your goals!

Don´t let that slacker beat you. You are better than him!