AlexCold's Epic Quest for Badassitude - Level 2 - "Ranger Danger"

AlexCold

Welcome!

My name is Alex. I'm a 25 year old test engineer. I live in the desert of AZ and love it.

I'm here at NF to get motivated, stay motivated, and motivate other people. This place is very special and unique, and I can't believe I just found it. This place rocks and has really pushed me to keep going.

This is me:

20131009_063414_zpsff2b1bfc.jpg

I started taking charge of my health on July 2012, but I don't take many photos (not because of my weight, just don't) so I didn't have something to compare to when I actually started, but I was fairly steady for many years. I'm now at around 215 lbs.

My motivation is my wife and newborn son. I want to look the best for my wife. And I want to live a long time and set a strong example of a man for my son. They are everything to me, and I feel I should be the best for them. And being nice and hardworking isn't enough. Plus if I'm dead, I can't do anything. Second plus, it doesn't hurt to be dead sexy, see what I did there ;)

GOALS

1). Nutrition (STR +1, CON +2, STA +1)

This is the most important thing. I eat Primal 90% of the time. Why? Because it works. I care not of the mumbo jumbo about cavemen, I care about results. So far I've felt the best eating no grains and minimal cheese. My energy is better, my digestive health is better, and I don't worry too much about calories because I don't eat enough as it is. This last thing needs to change. After speaking with Donar on his thread. I will need to find my maintenance and work from there. I'm going to shoot for a 40/40/20 PRO/CHO/FAT split to do this. More details to follow. This will be a 3 week assessment and then a change towards a deficit. Thanksgiving Weekend will not count towards this challenge.

Ok, this is changing a bit. Right now, there is no way in hell I could succeed at this. The baby is takes up too much of my wifes time for her to plan out  and prepare meals and she's the big reason for my success. I don't mind helping with this at all, but with my always changing schedule it's hard to plan and prepare every day. Instead I will focus on eating what I normally eat (since I'm losing weight) and track everything as best as possible. This will give me something to make better decisions with for a stricter diet. Sorry Donar! I do plan to meet a calorie goal and macros for the next challenge. The boy will be older giving mom more time to do meal prep while I work. I will hopefully start a real lift program to accompany that diet. God I miss the barbell.

Grading:

Track food intake except for   3 days = A

Track food intake except for   6 days = B

Track food intake except for   9 days = C

Track food intake except for 12 days = D

Track food intake except for 15 days = F

2). BBWW (STR +3, STA +2, Bonus: STR +1)

I don't have time to start a real lifting program with the newborn. I really want to do Starting Strength since I love lifting weight but I can't swing that now. If I can't commit I won't do it. I will explore it some during this challenge to see if the gym nearby can work for me. 

So instead I will do a BBWW workout and modify as I get better at it. Right now the weak spot is push ups. I will likely add to it as well. I am starting at least two sets, MWF. I will list the work out for each day.

Grading:

18 WO = A

15 WO = B

12 WO = C

9 WO = D

7 WO = F

A point will be shifted from Nutrition to BBWW if I can complete full sets of push ups. If not the point will remain with the Nutrition category.

3). Running (STA +2, DEX +2, BONUS: STA +1)

I have my first 5k race on Dec 8th. It is the Hot Chocolate Run in Phoenix. Supposed to be fun. During the last challenge I completed my C25K program, and the baby was born right before I was going to do a full 5k run. I have since completed one at a 11:30 pace (slower than I was running before baby boy arrived). This goal is about continuing running to keep conditioning and get faster. How will I do this? At least one long run (5k) and one "other" run. This last run will likely be some interval training to increase speed. Or a shorter run (2 miles) while trying to run faster.

I will confer with the running folks if this is acceptable way to pick up my pace. Your thoughts?

Grading:

12 Runs = A

10 Runs = B

8 Runs = C

6 Runs = D

4 Runs = F

A point will be shifted from the life goal into the running goal if I can improve my 5k pace to under 10:30 min/mile. Otherwise it will stay in the life goal.

LIFE GOAL). Ace the Class! (WIS +1, CON +1)

This is a continuation of my previous challenge. I need to boost my GPA in my Master's Program. I have a 2.7 GPA (stupid B-) and my other transfer credit classes don't count towards it. So I need at least a B+ to continue in the program. After that I'm still on thin ice. Currently have a 83% in the class. I was hoping to boost it in the midterm but I got an 84%. It really sucks that despite being above average I'm still failing.

This week (Nov 4th) is a bonus week and will be a try out period. WO don't count, but they will proof out the concept and see if something isn't working. 

Feel free to comment, suggest and ask any questions! 

• Like 2

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

Like it!

I have no input on running because I avoid it at all cost.

Interested to see how your diet will go and looking forward to following you through this challenge as well :)

• Like 1

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

Like it!

I have no input on running because I avoid it at all cost.

Interested to see how your diet will go and looking forward to following you through this challenge as well :)

Thanks Jess, I'm interested as well. I've only ever structured my diet during the Whole30 and that was just keeping it strict paleo. Meeting targets will be tough. Can't wait to follow yours!

Nice job on going for your masters.  I did it while I was working and it can be hard at times.  I know you can do it though.  Engineers always come up with the right solution (I am one also)!

Thanks! The hard part now is that I'm not as busy at work but very busy everywhere else in life. Seriously debating taking a class next semester. The decision may be made for me but I'm not sure I can handle work, baby, school, and robotics mentoring all at the same time. What type of engineer are you?

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

I am a Mechanical Engineer. I worked for about a year in product testing.  Got my masters in Business Administration and Engineering management though.  That does sound like a lot outside of work.  I was fortunate to do it before marriage/kids.

Spartan Assassin: Level 15

STR31   DEX26   STA27  CON25   WIS28   CHA23

I am a Mechanical Engineer. I worked for about a year in product testing.  Got my masters in Business Administration and Engineering management though.  That does sound like a lot outside of work.  I was fortunate to do it before marriage/kids.

Cool. Manufacturing Engineer myself though I work in durability testing now. Working on a Masters in Energy Systems Engineering (w/ automotive emphasis). I was hoping to finish before we had kids but this little popped up a third of the way there. I only need 6 more classes after this one. 

I love before and after pics! Nice work! :D

What class are you taking?

Thanks! I'm working getting to a lower body fat percentage before I post any shirtless photos. Don't want the ladies to be swooning, you know?

I'm taking an alternative energies class currently. It's simple but a lot of work and I'm half assing that work. My own fault really.

With a better excuse than most! :) But good luck! Some times the "easy" classes are the most deceptive, and really get ya.

Yeah, I'm definitely not taking a class next semester. Just too much going on at the beginning of the year. School is low on my priority scale:

Family > Work > Volunteer > School

November 5th

Today was a fairly good day. Definitely need coffee now that the baby is born. Tea just isn't going to cut it.

Fitness: Met my steps total of 10k steps. 20 min skipping rope for the PvP challenge. Damn my left knee hurts.

Food: B - 3 eggs fried in butter w/ tea   L - Salad (mixed greens, onion, carrots, radishes, grape tomatoes) w/ 2 cans of tuna and dijon mustard  D - Chicken breast and Patti's Stew w/ chicken instead of beef.

AAALLLLEX! I FOUND YOU!

Your progress pics are mind blowing and you're goals are well done. Can't wait to see how you do this go around

Thanks! I didn't know I was lost. 

Going to school with a new baby is TOUGH!  I've done it.  I wouldn't want to do it again.  I salute you!

It sure is. I was hoping to finish before having kids but "poof" here he is. Which is fine because I'm happy.

Nov 6:

Today was a long day. So very tired. Woke up at 3:50 for baby boy, and just got going from there. Got home at 7:30 pm. At least my hw is done and I have to work on researching oil refining policies.

Food: B-3 eggs in butter L-patti stew D-ALL THE SUSHI. seriously full and shouldn't have done it.

Activity: nothing above normal. Still got near my 10k steps. No jump rope as my calves are killing me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Nov 6:

Today was a long day. So very tired. Woke up at 3:50 for baby boy, and just got going from there. Got home at 7:30 pm. At least my hw is done and I have to work on researching oil refining policies.

Food: B-3 eggs in butter L-patti stew D-ALL THE SUSHI. seriously full and shouldn't have done it.

Activity: nothing above normal. Still got near my 10k steps. No jump rope as my calves are killing me.

The jumping of the rope will cause this... still, a good day considering lack of sleep

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

Current Challenge

Battle Log

babies tend to mess with things, but they can help you stay fit as the days and years go on.  Looking forward to cheering you on this challenge.  

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

The jumping of the rope will cause this... still, a good day considering lack of sleep

Yes it will. Really its just the constant going on with no rest. I had robotics mentoring that day, and these kids are very draining.

babies tend to mess with things, but they can help you stay fit as the days and years go on.  Looking forward to cheering you on this challenge.  

Thanks! He's a good kid, and I can't wait til he's running around. I really want to be able to keep up with him when he does. He's a daily motivation reminder which is awesome!

1). Nutrition (STR +1, CON +2, STA +1)

This is the most important thing. I eat Primal 90% of the time. Why? Because it works. I care not of the mumbo jumbo about cavemen, I care about results. So far I've felt the best eating no grains and minimal cheese. My energy is better, my digestive health is better, and I don't worry too much about calories because I don't eat enough as it is. This last thing needs to change. After speaking with Donar on his thread. I will need to find my maintenance and work from there. I'm going to shoot for a 40/40/20 PRO/CHO/FAT split to do this. More details to follow.

This will be a 3 week assessment and then a change towards a deficit. Thanksgiving Weekend will not count towards this challenge.

I know absolutely nothing about "Paleo" or the rules of Paleo.....but isn't it going to be hard to hit you CHO target under a carb-restrictive plan like Paleo?

I am asking both out of sheer curiosity.....and also....want to make sure you aren't going to hate your nutritional program. :)

On a completely different note, I contracted for a year in Tempe and freaking loved it.

Sending some jealousy vibes your way....;)

How's the little one treating you?

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know absolutely nothing about "Paleo" or the rules of Paleo.....but isn't it going to be hard to hit you CHO target under a carb-restrictive plan like Paleo?

I am asking both out of sheer curiosity.....and also....want to make sure you aren't going to hate your nutritional program. :)

On a completely different note, I contracted for a year in Tempe and freaking loved it.

Sending some jealousy vibes your way.... ;)

How's the little one treating you?

Hi Donar, thanks for stopping by!

That's the thing about Paleo, it doesn't have to be about carb restriction, it's more about what kind of carbs you put in. It's just a little harder. So to reach these targets I'll have to add in sweet potatoes, squashes, and white potatoes. The only worry is exceeding calories due to adding these things plus the high protein. I'm hoping to have the numbers figured out, the meal planning will be difficult since I don't eat the same thing everyday (the wife would go crazy). If I can't do it paleo then I'll add rice and beans instead of other grains. 

Yes, Tempe was/is awesome. The views (aka ladies) were/are awesome.

The little one is good. I'm getting decent sleep, my biggest problem is time management. Not enough hours in the day.

Nov 7th

Today was a good day. Finished the jump rope challenge (hell yeah!) and baked some cookies. It was employee appreciation day. I ate a bunch of food today. All bad but worth it.

Played some horseshoes and cornhole. Smoked a cigar and enjoyed the rest of the day. So i got an idea that maybe i could fit into a large shirt buy i dont have any. But my wife does for comfy shirt days. So i try one on and it fits! And it even does not look like im an overstuffed burrito.

So what do you think?

Posted Image

And a gun shot for Bdub.

Posted Image

I found fitting into smaller clothes was a good way for me to track how I was doing. Looking good out there. Keep it up. Extra points for the Superhero shirt

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

And a gun shot for Bdub.

Haha. I love it. You have big guns.

Of course, Batman > Superman. But that is awesome that you are fitting into a smaller size. I have some Medium shirts that usually really hug me and I only wear with jeans, but lately I've been able to fit into them and also not look like a burrito or like I ate a large muffin that got stuck in me :)

Way to go! I so want to hang out with the boys and drink some bourbon and smoke cigars.

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

I found fitting into smaller clothes was a good way for me to track how I was doing. Looking good out there. Keep it up. Extra points for the Superhero shirt

Thanks! Yeah it's been nice. I like seeing the numbers but fitting into smaller clothes is awesome!

Haha. I love it. You have big guns.

Of course, Batman > Superman. But that is awesome that you are fitting into a smaller size. I have some Medium shirts that usually really hug me and I only wear with jeans, but lately I've been able to fit into them and also not look like a burrito or like I ate a large muffin that got stuck in me :)

Way to go! I so want to hang out with the boys and drink some bourbon and smoke cigars.

Thanks! They may be "big" but I still can't do as many push ups as you can!

I agree, BATMAN is way better than Superman. But this was at the top. I'll see what's in there, I think she may still have my old Batman tee. 

Wow, that is so great that you fit into the smaller size shirt! Congrats and great guns! Wooo

Thank you! It feels great to do so. I'm sure I could have earlier but it's nice that it doesn't look like I'm wearing a shirt too small for me. Or does it? I just hate it when I see people wearing clothes they shouldn't do to ill fit. I'd hate it worse if I was one of those posers as well.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines