First challenge!

Tolsimir

I really like number 18. Getting outside your comfort zone is key to being a well rounded person. 

I started doing a deep stretch hot yoga class. First time I've been completely free of back pain in a few years. Maybe you should give a shot to going to yoga class. Most places offer a free session or two. That could help you get some input on beginner poses and give you ideas to do at home. I know there are some good websites but I can't think of them right off the top of my head. 

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Awesome job pickin back up the sport. If thats the motivation it takes to get you where you need to be, more power to you!

I played a bit of Rugby with the Brits I served with in Afghanistan, strange game for a 'Merican like myself, but as an Infantryman in the Corps, I did love how physical it was. You have officially inspired me to look for leagues in my area!

Keep up the good work, and keep up posted on your progress!

• Like 1

Level 0 Half Elf Warrior/Ranger Hybrid

|STR:0 | DEX:0 | STA:0 | CON:0 | WIS:0 | CHA:0 |

"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on the defense. They've got really short hair and always for for the throat." RAdm "Jay R. Stark, USN

"If you like nerds, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards." Violet Haberdasher

Check out my fundraiser to raise money for Cancer Survivors Here.

And check on the progress of My First Challenge Here.

I really like number 18. Getting outside your comfort zone is key to being a well rounded person. 

I started doing a deep stretch hot yoga class. First time I've been completely free of back pain in a few years. Maybe you should give a shot to going to yoga class. Most places offer a free session or two. That could help you get some input on beginner poses and give you ideas to do at home. I know there are some good websites but I can't think of them right off the top of my head. 

Exactly Joedog, I want to improve myself every day and getting out of my comfort zone really helps with this. 

Looking for a yoga class sounds like a pretty good option! Thanks :)

Awesome job pickin back up the sport. If thats the motivation it takes to get you where you need to be, more power to you!

I played a bit of Rugby with the Brits I served with in Afghanistan, strange game for a 'Merican like myself, but as an Infantryman in the Corps, I did love how physical it was. You have officially inspired me to look for leagues in my area!

Keep up the good work, and keep up posted on your progress!

TexasToast, you made me grin from ear to ear and I'm childishly proud to have officially inspired you! Let me know when you had your first training! 

Thanks for this post, you made my day :) For me, rugby is the best sport out there, as it always challenges you to work as hard as you can - for the team. 

The girls on my team are like family, so are the guys of the club. Everyone looks after each other, knows when to push each other just that little bit further. 
  • Like 1

I began training a few days ago, I just hadn't gotten around to posting it here haha.

Training is going well. My biggest problem is weight gain, I'm built like a bean pole and burn off food faster than our American muscle cars. Luckily, I have been forcing myself to consume ungodly amounts of food. I was always interested in Norse culture, (I have a tattoo I got before I went overseas that says 'Valhalla, I am coming!') so I just try and imagine myself sitting down to a final  meal in the Mead Hall before a great battle. I do this at every meal, and I'm up to 4000 cal and 140 g of protein a day!

As for the inspiration, I try and find it all around me. Not long ago, I was depressed, using alcohol and drugs to keep me sane, and finding no motivation. Then after my grandmother was diagnosed, I said to myself, 'if this 85 year old woman can still be all smiles and beat cancer, why are you finding it so hard to find inspiration?'

I found an intermural league up at the university and am gonna go sit in on one of their games this weekend, hopefully I can find a team that could use an extra hand!

"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on the defense. They've got really short hair and always for for the throat." RAdm "Jay R. Stark, USN

"If you like nerds, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards." Violet Haberdasher

Oh, nice tattoo! Reminds me of the Led Zep song. Have you seen the tv-series Vikings? I really enjoyed watching it. I've always been interested in mythology and especially the Norse culture. There's something raw and honest to it. When I was a kid I wanted to be a Valkyrie :P Feasting like I'm in the Mead Hall sounds great, something I definitely can NOT do every day as I would imagine myself looking like the Michelin man within a week.

As for inspiration - one day I want to fight for something that is bigger than me, but first I have to become stronger.

Enjoy the rugby game this weekend! We don't have a game this weekend (sob), but we'll have an extra training this Sunday to make up for that. 

---- 

I just woke up after barely three hours of sleep and apparently my body thinks that's enough for tonight. Might go for a run in about an hour and then take a nap this afternoon. 

• Like 1

I just finished my last meal of the day, and I'm avoiding sharp objects for fear I might pop.

And yes, I have seen it. I love History channel when they are showing actual history and not just a thousand episodes of Pawn Stars haha.

As for the tattoo, its half an ode to the Vikings of old, and half a tribute to the Immigrant Song. I use to get the Led out when we'd roll through cities in convoys and I was up in the turret of my MAT-V. I enjoyed the music, and it kept us and the farmers in the area safe cause it scared the crap out of them they would hide in the house.

And I shall. I'm probably not gonna play, as I'm not on a team, but in much thetradition of my favorite American college football team, I will be waiting in the wings ready to pull a 12th Man and jump in.

As for inspiration - one day I want to fight for something that is bigger than me, but first I have to become stronger.

Thats an awesome goal, do you have a particular fighting style you enjoy? I've always been quite partial to boxing and want to take up Krav Maga and Jeet Kun Do for my next six week challenge.

Haha, I can see 'em running. Pretty cool how you can have really strong memories to songs/sound. There's a couple of albums that bring me right back to the backseat of the car, dad driving us through France, or other holidays. Some songs still know how to catch me by surprise, slapping me in the face with a memory I forgot about. Some good, some bad. The mind is awesome.

Speaking of vikings - have you read the Edda? I think I should pick it up again.

Thats an awesome goal, do you have a particular fighting style you enjoy? I've always been quite partial to boxing and want to take up Krav Maga and Jeet Kun Do for my next six week challenge.

You're making it sound like I'm going to fight someone who is bigger than me! Which is a pretty nice goal, come to think of it. Sure, why not, I'll wrestle a bear.

I'd actually take up boxing, though. My grandfather used to box, he was pretty good at it. I have an old photograph of him sporting fisty cuffs. He's a great inspiration and example to me. Strongest person I know. So yeah.. boxing it is for me.

• Like 1

Thats the spirit! Haha, sorry for the misunderstanding. While I try and keep my more violent tendencies to minimum, I was forged in the crucible of a warrior culture. So sometimes my mind drifts to the more aggressive outlets.

As for the bear, heck yeah! "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you land among the stars." Richie Valens said that, so take it with a grain of salt.

Your Grandfather sounds like a great man. I would have loved to have met him. I'm sure he'd be very proud of the positive strides your making in your life

Haha, I can see 'em running. Pretty cool how you can have really strong memories to songs/sound. There's a couple of albums that bring me right back to the backseat of the car, dad driving us through France, or other holidays. Some songs still know how to catch me by surprise, slapping me in the face with a memory I forgot about. Some good, some bad. The mind is awesome.

Speaking of vikings - have you read the Edda? I think I should pick it up again.

I have not read the Edda, but I'm a huge reader. I'll pick it up soon. I read three books at a time, due to my injuries overseas, I have memory problems, so by reading three books at a time, I try and keep my mind sharp.

And I know what you mean about songs and memories. Two months ago,  I had found my old iPod from overseas.I was listening to it on shuffle when an old song came on. One I hadn't heard in a month of sundays. Instantly, the whole room got overbearingly hot and dry. I could taste dust in the air. My mouth dried up and I could faintly hear my buddies shouting and the crack of a rifle. I had to take a second and sit down. I won't go into the details behind the song and the memories associated with it, cause they still weigh heavy on my heart. But your right, the mind is a strange and powerful thing.

• Like 1

Haha, thank you,  Richie Valens. If I die from bear hugs, it's his fault.

Yep, he's great! He's 80 years old now and I remember him standing in our kitchen, telling my mom: "I'll live to be a hundred. I deserve it." He lives quite far off though, so I don't see him as much as I'd want to. We do write each other ridiculously long emails about whatever. They're usually around 4 pages long, I call them my inspiration bombs as they're filled with great stories. Then again he writes in font size 20. If you want to meet him, fly over to Holland and I'll arrange a meet&greet! Haha.

Okay, it's time to go for that run now.

• Like 1

That would be amazing! I'm actually planning on a trip across the pond next year after my hike. I'll first be hittin Ireland to see a bit of the old country and see if I can look up my family's roots. But after 3 days there, I intend on seeing a bit more of Europe. I've seen so much of the world already, but when I went through I was mostly training or working with The Marines, so I never really got to enjoy it. Heck when I went to Ireland I only ever got to see the airport. Lame. So I want to go back and actually be able to enjoy it on my terms. Holland would be real cool, cause my Uncle Jerry, rest his soul, met my Aunt Karen in Holland and brought her back to Texas. If I do, I'll for sure drop you a line. You can be my tour guide and I can meet this great man. I always enjoy meeting older people, they always have the best stories!

My Grandfather was my inspiration for joining The Corps. He joined at my age, fought in the Pacific during WWII, then came home and went on to become a Texas Ranger. One of my two most valuable possessions(the other being my Purple Heart) is his old service pistol he gave me when I came home from Afghanistan. I wish I could see him more too, but given the size of Texas its a 6 hour drive to see him (And thats just to go from South Texas to Central Texas!)

• Like 1

I'm changing my challenge goals, as I feel I am more motivated to work out if I do different things through the week. There's at least two rugbydays a week, which I'll always go to, and I cycle a lot. I want to be stronger for rugby so I know I'll always be motivated to work for that - however I don't feel motivated to do just the bodyweight workout every day. Instead, I sometimes change the workout into running, I pick up extra yoga, and I'll drop to the floor to do a couple of pushups, planks or pull ups whenever I think about it. 

The important thing for me is to improve my core, I've said that, but the most important thing for me is to make working out a habit, a big part of my daily life. This is a better way for me to achieve this right now.

Healthy eating - I always eat healthy meals but I used to snack a lot in between, drink a lot of soda. I gave up soda about two years ago and just don't really like it anymore, so that's easy. Right now I'll grant myself a snack that I really like once or twice a week instead of eating things that make me go 'meh'. I also stopped eating out of boredom (that was the hardest thing to let go). Stress eating is always a big issue though, and I know that with the winter coming along I know I'll want to have more sweet things. Cheesecake, millionaires shortbread, chocolate, caramel... ugh. Something to pay close attention to! This morning I had sprouts and mushrooms, they were leftovers I had. For lunch I'll make a big meal as I have to work from 15.00-01.00 tonight and I know I won't eat a lot during that. I usually just bring two bananas and a sandwich. 

I sort of wonder what my weight is now. Don't have any scales in the house. Before I started working out and watching my food again I weighed about 93 kgs, and I'm 1.73m. I think I dropped to below 90 now, but maybe I gained some weight in muscle. Who knows! Next time I'm at my parents I can check.. 80 kg is my goal right now, as I'd like to be strong, but I wonder what 75 will look like. 

Then, life goals. I graduated in September and it's about time I started doing something within my profession. I graduated in illustration, with a minor in motion graphics and I really enjoy making motion graphic videos. Especially when they're educational or about sustainability. A direction I would love to work in is games and learning, as I believe it to have a lot of potential and it could be the future of learning and improving the planet. I figured out I don't really want to work on my own, as a freelancer, because I love working in a team, I love working on a project together with others. So that means applying for jobs! Before I can do that, I think I need a good portfolio that'll show who I am and what my goals are. So that's my life challenge for now. Yay!

• Like 1

Just did my bodyworkout, felt like quitting when I was halfway through and didn't want to do the lunges anymore, but I was listening to a new playlist on 8track, a motivational one, and a voice kept saying: "don't quit, you're already in pain, don't give up." Felt good to be done but decided to do a couple of inverted body weight rows using my kitchen table, while I was doing that a new song started and I heard rugbymen doing the haka. NICE!! So good to hear that. Time to get ready for work now. Hope everyone is doing great!

• Like 1

Sounds like you've been busy! Keep up the good work! For your workouts remember, pain is only weakness leaving the body.

• Like 1

I think that fits in the cardio section. Long as your hearts racim, bloods pumpin, and your sweatin, your burnin calories.

• Like 1

Just did my bodyworkout, felt like quitting when I was halfway through and didn't want to do the lunges anymore, but I was listening to a new playlist on 8track, a motivational one, and a voice kept saying: "don't quit, you're already in pain, don't give up." Felt good to be done but decided to do a couple of inverted body weight rows using my kitchen table, while I was doing that a new song started and I heard rugbymen doing the haka. NICE!! So good to hear that. Time to get ready for work now. Hope everyone is doing great!

Lunges are my least favourite. im really unbalanced so get wobbly at around 10-11.

Good to see you are still on track and still going! good luck for week 3 :)

Loulou, For me it helps to turn inwards with lunges, point my right elbow to my left knee as I do a lunge.

Had a great training yesterday! Some of the more dominant girls of the team were not there yesterday and I found myself taking over their roles in guiding the new teammates, pulling them into the game and leading them through rucks and the like. It made me feel a bit arrogant, but I think I pulled it off. My teammates know I have something to say now :P Really looking forward to the game this Sunday - I think it'll be tough, but we can pull off a win. I am confident in my own capabilities. Fitness is going up, strength is going up, it's all good. It's time for some tries!

I watched the Cowboys - Rangers game yesterday, had never seen American Football before! Luckily my friend could explain the game to me. Really enjoyed it.

Today I'm writing a job application for a great opening I saw yesterday.. doing the BBW and might go for a run (not sure, see how my shins are doing, they have been a bit sensitive the last week). Bartending tonight, we've got a great band playing and it's only half a shift, so looking forward to that. Maybe watch a rugby game later this afternoon.

Hey, Tolsimir! Just got back from rugby practice down at the beach hahaha! It was great, really fun!! I had contacted one of the groups by email a while aho and they finally answered me with the practice hours.

I bet I'll be real sore tomorrow... There's something about running after a ball on the soft sand that stresses muscles not even squats can touch lol...

When I left, there was more sand in my buttcrack than there ever should be in a lady's...

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - W. Faulkner

Bookworm_Lass, That's great! Glad you enjoyed it - and I bet you are sore, the soft sand makes it so much heavier. Really enjoy playing beach rugby, but we'll have to wait another six months before that'll happen. We always do it off season and one of the best (craziest) tournaments out here is the Ameland Beach Rugby Tournament. Looking forward to it already! Do you think you'll go again next practice? ;) 

We had a game yesterday, a really tough one with girls that aren't nice to play against at all. Almost started a brawl! Somehow I hope that'll happen next time :P

The hostility really did help me focus on the game and perform well, but unfortunately I got an elbow to the head in the second half and I just ran around like an idiot, unable to really focus. It didn't help that I hadn't eaten well that day, so I was dizzy. Stupid, really. I'll pay more attention to nutrition next time.

Next Sunday is the last match for me until February, so I want to make the most of it. I'll work very hard this week to be superfit on Sunday.

My goals for the game are 1. Tackling, 2. Do a sidestep (as a forward you don't really do this, but my boyfriend bullied me into doing it, so I'll give it a go) and 3. score a try (very vain, after two years of rugby I'd just really love to score one - it's more of a goal for this season rather than this match). 

One of my fellow props and I are determined to become lean machines! So we bomb each other with recipes, motivation and ideas.

Going for a run now. Because we want to pull this off together!

Oh yes I'll be going again next practice!

I was just so happy that this time I could really do it. When I arrived the coach (a boy, bummer) said let's go for a 10 minutes jog to warm up and jogging away I went, then he said let's jog again on the sand and though it was hard, it was feasible. We practiced passes so it was really sprinting while focusing on receiving the ball. The practice lasted two hours and I spent all the time having fun, not panting, not hurting, not wishing the practice would end already. :)

That was awesome. I feel like wonder woman. I'm a fit bitch hahaha

I just hope I don't get too hurt at rugby it messes up with the weight lifting.

• Like 1

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - W. Faulkner

Didn't go for a run, augh. Feel a bit tired and heavy hearted, but I want to try again tomorrow. 

Got practice Tuesday night anyway, my mom might drop by on Wednesday and I'm really hoping she will. 

I feel as though I need to start working on my life quest. I graduated last september and I should just .. start life.

Right now I live in an apartment that'll be knocked down, so I won't settle, I'm working two student jobs (one of which I sort of hate) and there's no reason for me not to actively start working on my career. Yet I feel as though I'm standing at the foot of a mountain, thinking It's kinda huge, I'm not sure if I'll make it, thinking I should prepare for this climb before I start. I should just kick my own ass and start climbing already. Not knowing where I'm going scares me, so I stay in the comfort zone (that isn't all that comfortable).

Starting to feel restless again.

Oh yes I'll be going again next practice!

I was just so happy that this time I could really do it. When I arrived the coach (a boy, bummer) said let's go for a 10 minutes jog to warm up and jogging away I went, then he said let's jog again on the sand and though it was hard, it was feasible. We practiced passes so it was really sprinting while focusing on receiving the ball. The practice lasted two hours and I spent all the time having fun, not panting, not hurting, not wishing the practice would end already. :)

That was awesome. I feel like wonder woman. I'm a fit bitch hahaha

I just hope I don't get too hurt at rugby it messes up with the weight lifting.

So good! Love it when you realize your training has payed off, when you can keep up with everyone, with the exercises, feeling energetic all the way through.

Makes you feel so strong, going: I'm a f***ing fit Amazon! You can't beat me!

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines