Nax Reduces Encumberance...And Becomes A Mentalist!

Naxius

UPDATE (Nov 12): Thanks to all for the feedback! Most of the goals are now sorted out :)

Hi. I'm a Wizard. Or at least I aspire to be a Wizard. NF has no caster types, though, so the Druids' guild is the closest match. I've always been one for multiclassing anyway, so it's all good. Speaking of multiclassing, I have some existing degree of fitness and exercise regularly, so this challenge contains very little goals in terms of physical exercise. Exercise is sort of like my therapy, so I'm all good there...for the time being. My diet is also relatively clean (no junk, no bread, no pasta and no beer 95% of the time.) I took on my first challenge already and passed it with average colors and planned to do challenge #2 in the Assassins's guild due to being a fan of body weight exercises but...it seems like I have a permanent case of mind fog, which hinders any attempts I make to level up as a Wizard. I fear--nay, I KNOW--I'm at a stage now where I can't really level up my life anymore unless I lose the mental encumberance. Let's just say having a clear mind and a more positive outlook in general is a prerequisite to me gaining any more levels in anything.

tl;dr version: I'm a mental wreck and I hate it.

I've also picked up the book How To Be A Mentalist recently, thinking "OMG, this will totally help me become a Wizard!" Naturally, I started reading it as sooon as I got home, thesis writing be damned. However, the first few pages of the book stated that in order to be a mentalist, one must have a clear mind in order to have better observation powers.

Well, shit.

This is like the opposite of me. Instead of complaining and feeling sorry for myself like I normally do, though, why don't I take on a NF challenge to make some changes happen?

Main quest: Where do I want to be in a few months?

LESS STRESSED. More successful, possessing an attention span greater than that of a squirrel on PCP, being able to think more clearly, having powers of observation that at least put me in the "functional" range of society. No joke, often times while playing D&D online, my friend will ask me "Did you loot?" and I'll reply "Huh? What loot?" and then I'll be told that there was a chest that I was standing RIGHT NEXT TO and did't notice. Then I'll feel like a complete retard, think I'm not even worthy of being in the party, hate myself for being the group's village idiot (seriously, aren't Wizards supposed to have high INT?) and it all goes downhill...

For example, the .gif below is a good example of my I-just-died-because-of-lag (or I-just-caused-a-party-wipe) reaction:

MJYSnui.gif

Just add F-bombs.

I also I want the constant negative, racing thoughts and ever-present mental fog to GTFO. I want to be the stoic, unflippable badass that I picture myself being in my fantasies, as opposed to the spineless pansy who cries and/or flips right the fuck out as soon as the slightest, most insignificant little thing happens. I want more than 1/10 self-confidence. I don't want to be that person with the legendary mental instability and ever-swinging mood. I want to be able to function like a normal person who isn't stressed out and anxious all the time for no particular reason.

I want my mind to be clear. I want to be able to think and focus. I want to be able to form a sentence properly on the first try, without stuttering because of anxiety or thinking I'll screw up my words somehow (which constantly happens because I'm nervous, due to being afraid of being nervous.) I don't want to be the poster person for social awkwardness but, as it is now, I can't observe anything worth a shit, or pay attention, or follow discussions half the time.

Okay, maybe that's too much of a transformation to ask for in 6 weeks. This might be an unrealistic main quest for a 6-week challenge, but y'know what? Screw it! It shall be a main quest in life in general, with the more immediate quest being Nax becomes a mentalist.

Incredibly specific goals that will help me achieve the main quest:

2.1: Meditate daily. Which type of meditation? Whichever type I try! The first one will be: ...the basic meditation exercise in the Mentalist book I mentioned earlier. The book also describes other, more advanced types of meditation that the author suggests should be done with a mentor at first but...mentors tend to not be cheap, nor are classes :\ Eh. I might try them on my own later anyway. What could possibly go wrong? If I pass out, then great, it's cheaper than alcohol.

2.2: Do some kind of yoga or breath exercise every day. See above re. which type of yoga. I'll be hitting up the link Evenewbie posted below, do the beginner program on DoYogaWithMe.com.

2.3: Do the daily brain training on Lumosity. I've been slacking on that site so much lately, it's not even funny.

Side quests:

3.1: STOP PICKING AT MY FACE/NECK/HAIR!!1

Update (Nov 13): I've decided to give myself some kind of a grading system for the picking issue:

Catch myself picking less than 5 times in one day: 0 points (A.)

Catch myself picking between 5 and 10 times in one day: 1 point (B.)

...Between 11-15 times: 2 points (C.)

...Between 16-20 times: 3 points (D.)

...Between 21 and 25 times: 4 points (F.)

At the end I'll add up all my points and convert them to a letter grade...somehow. I'll worry about the math later. I'm hoping that, now that I know there's a grade attached to picking, I'll be more conscious of it, and my face will become prettier as I stop mauling the hell out of it.

3.2: Eat more vegetables. This was actually a quest from a previous challenge. I didn't rock it as well as I wanted to, so it's following me into this challenge.

UPDATE (Nov 19): The scoring method for this is as follows:

4 vegetable helpings: A

3 vegetable helpings: B

2 vegetable helpings: C

1 vegetable helping: D

0 vegetable helpings: F

...because "below averavge", "average", and "above average" just wasn't doing it. This goal should be easy because I am lazy and don't like to cook, so raw veggies should be my go-to snack, right?

(Added in late Nov) 3.3: Drink less alcohol. Graded in a pass/fail manner, with two FAILs permitted per week because weekends. And holidays.

As an added bonus, I'll do some kind of intro quest ongoing quest before the challenge begins as the challenge proceeds: clean my freaking room, and maybe even decorate it to my liking. Maybe if I make it MY space, I'll be able to meditate and/or work better in there. Some (most) of the clutter needs to go. Maybe with a clear room, I'll have a clearer mind?

Another mini-goal was to get a user pic. DONE, on Nov 18. And no, it isn't me in the pic ;P

LES' DO THIS!

Hi,

becoming a wizard is not easy. I can recommend Franz Bardon. Not easy to read or understand but very interesting. 

For meditation: Anything is good(nearly anything). Go with your book. You can also try contemplation or awareness.

The best I did was a 10 day vipassana course.

Welcome to the druids and have fun here!

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

TY for the references :)

Glad to hear that anything is good, for meditation. That way I know I likely won't screw up lol. +1 motivation!

Introductory, clutter-busting quest progress: I did piles of laundry yesterday, and can now see most of the floor in my room. It felt strangely good. Actually, no. I can only see half the floor since the other half has sketchy boxes and old junk on it. It's funny how I've almost forgotten that floor exists. Tonight: throwing away old magazines that I'll never read again! That will get rid of at least one box on the floor. There's also a box of old VHS tapes that I'll probably never watch again. That box should be tossed as well.

Great start!

As every good Taoist knows : as it is outside, so it is within.

So you made a brilliant decision, to clean up your nearest surrounding. That will make lots of things much easier. Carry on!

All the best.

M.

Viking  Warrior Level 5

STR: 7.5 | DEX: 11 | STA: 12 | CON: 12 | WIS: 12 | CHA: 9

Note: HAI GUISE! I need advice setting realistic goals for the next challenge. I've written the challenge post here as best as I could, but generally have no idea what I'm doing. I've asked questions (in bold, red text) here and there where I need help. If anyone could help me, that'd be great :) This note will be removed once the challenge begins.

v----- Challenge post below -----v

Hi. I'm a Wizard. Or at least I aspire to be a Wizard. NF has no caster types, though, so the Druids' guild is the closest match. I've always been one for multiclassing anyway, so it's all good. Speaking of multiclassing, I have some existing degree of fitness and exercise regularly, so this challenge contains very little goals in terms of physical exercise. Exercise is sort of like my therapy, so I'm all good there...for the time being. My diet is also relatively clean (no junk, no bread, no pasta and no beer 95% of the time.) I took on my first challenge already and passed it with average colors and planned to do challenge #2 in the Assassins's guild due to being a fan of body weight exercises but...it seems like I have a permanent case of mind fog, which hinders any attempts I make to level up as a Wizard. I fear--nay, I KNOW--I'm at a stage now where I can't really level up my life anymore unless I lose the mental encumberance. Let's just say having a clear mind and a more positive outlook in general is a prerequisite to me gaining any more levels in anything.

tl;dr version: I'm a mental wreck and I hate it.

I've also picked up the book How To Be A Mentalist recently, thinking "OMG, this will totally help me become a Wizard!" Naturally, I started reading it as sooon as I got home, thesis writing be damned. However, the first few pages of the book stated that in order to be a mentalist, one must have a clear mind in order to have better observation powers.

Well, shit.

This is like the opposite of me. Instead of complaining and feeling sorry for myself like I normally do, though, why don't I take on a NF challenge to make some changes happen?

Main quest: Where do I want to be in a few months?

LESS STRESSED. More successful, possessing an attention span greater than that of a squirrel on PCP, being able to think more clearly, having powers of observation that at least put me in the "functional" range of society. No joke, often times while playing D&D online, my friend will ask me "Did you loot?" and I'll reply "Huh? What loot?" and then I'll be told that there was a chest that I was standing RIGHT NEXT TO and did't notice. Then I'll feel like a complete retard, think I'm not even worthy of being in the party, hate myself for being the group's village idiot (seriously, aren't Wizards supposed to have high INT?) and it all goes downhill...

For example, the .gif below is a good example of my I-just-died-because-of-lag (or I-just-caused-a-party-wipe) reaction:

MJYSnui.gif

Just add F-bombs.

I also I want the constant negative, racing thoughts and ever-present mental fog to GTFO. I want to be the stoic, unflippable badass that I picture myself being in my fantasies, as opposed to the spineless pansy who cries and/or flips right the fuck out as soon as the slightest, most insignificant little thing happens. I want more than 1/10 self-confidence. I don't want to be that person with the legendary mental instability and ever-swinging mood. I want to be able to function like a normal person who isn't stressed out and anxious all the time for no particular reason.

I want my mind to be clear. I want to be able to think and focus. I want to be able to form a sentence properly on the first try, without stuttering because of anxiety or thinking I'll screw up my words somehow (which constantly happens because I'm nervous, due to being afraid of being nervous.) I don't want to be the poster person for social awkwardness but, as it is now, I can't observe anything worth a shit, or pay attention, or follow discussions half the time.

Okay, maybe that's too much of a transformation to ask for in 6 weeks. Question 1: What would be a realistic main quest to pick for the next challenge?

Incredibly specific goals that will help me achieve the main quest:

2.1: Meditate daily. Question 2: Which type of meditation? I have no idea what I'm doing, or where to start. There's a basic meditation exercise in the Mentalist book I mentioned earlier, as well as some more advanced ones that the author suggests should be done with a mentor at first but...mentors tend to not be cheap, nor are classes :\

2.2: Do some kind of yoga or breath exercise every day. Question 3: See above. Would the beginner program on DoYogaWithMe.com be a good start? Has anyone else here done it? How was it?

2.3: Do the daily brain training on Lumosity. I've been slacking on that site so much lately, it's not even funny.

Side quests:

3.1: STOP PICKING AT MY FACE/NECK/HAIR!!1

3.2: Eat more vegetables. This was actually a quest from a previous challenge. I didn't rock it as well as I wanted to, so it's following me into this challenge.

3.3: (Druid guild mini quest)

As an added bonus, I'll do some kind of intro quest before the challenge begins: clean my freaking room, and maybe even decorate it to my liking. Maybe if I make it MY space, I'll be able to meditate and/or work better in there. Some (most) of the clutter needs to go. Maybe with a clear room, I'll have a clearer mind?

Also, as an added added bonus, I'll get an pic next to my name before the 11th of November as well. The basic faceless silhouette is starting to get on my nerves.

Anyway, any help you all can give will be greatly appreciated :)

Hello, Namaste and welcome Naxius.

A lot of questions there and I think that's good, if you don't ask you might not find answers.

So, my thoughts:

On meditation. You wrote daily. Did you meditate at all before?

I'm still seminew here but I, and many with me, find it good and realistic to allow for rest days.

I do a lot of yoga and my meditation is typically in Savasana, or simply a breath based zen inspired one. Focus on your breath, the way the air moves through your nostrils ….down to your lungs and back…..etc. Start easy, a few minutes, and increase. Beware that you will feel resistance. Most of us do. 

Rereading your post above makes me think that you need to focus on the present and being present, and start small. Some people go for a walk, slowly, stop and look at something they enjoy looking at (tree/bird….) and just breathe and relax. If other thoughts come, let them pass, and continue being in the present.

I suggest your main quest should have something to do with the present.

On yoga

Are you a beginner? If so - I strongly recommend at least a few classes with a leader so you can see what the routine can be like and what feels right for you. Also it's good with some guidance about the basic positions in the beginning. A little while ago we made a mini challenge with yoga poses - I'll look for the link - it's in here somewhere.

Again, welcome to the Druids!

I have chosen to believe in myself.

I haven't made much progress with meditation, but combined with yoga, I think you've got a good set of things to work on.  The mental stuff is so damn difficult!

I'm trying to eat more vegetables too.  I find it helps to start with one you like (mine is okra) and build up from there.

Good luck!

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Stars hide your fires for these here are my desires
And I won't give them up to you this time around
And so I'll be found with my stake stuck in the ground
Marking the territory of this newly impassioned soul ~ Mumford and Sons

Your main quest isn't a six week challenge, it's something you build up to. Like becoming the wizard we know you are. I like your main quest, it's something to work towards.

I know nothing about yoga so can't help there but I also think you should attend a few classes. As for meditation, one that focuses on the present, like was mentioned above would be excellent for you.

For me, finding some place without human distraction and just sitting there, taking it all in, releasing the negative and breathing in the nature around you is a great place to start.

The question isn't who's going to let me, it's who's going to stop me!     

~(to come when I remember)

Level 3 Adventurer

Huge NF Meet up?

Polls for marathon meet up: States   International (more info click the link above!)

Like Arilian Princess said your main quest is a long term thing that helps you toward your life quest for lack of a better term. So for you the Life Quest is that you want to be a Wizard and as you mentioned learning how to be a Mentalist would help you toward that. There you are, you Main Quest for right now is to become a Mentalist. Keep in mind that your main quest is something that can take more then a few challenges to achieve, so think about baby steps.

As for your other two questions, why not use this challenge to answer them? Try different types of meditation and yoga as part of your challenge, at the end look back and decide which one helped the most.

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

Here is something to read:

Zenhabits

They offer advice to anything. Do not read more than 3 articles, because you might get lost with 30 tabs of stuff to read and try and start nothing after reading 30 articles ;)

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

Like Arilian Princess said your main quest is a long term thing that helps you toward your life quest for lack of a better term. So for you the Life Quest is that you want to be a Wizard and as you mentioned learning how to be a Mentalist would help you toward that. There you are, you Main Quest for right now is to become a Mentalist. Keep in mind that your main quest is something that can take more then a few challenges to achieve, so think about baby steps.

As for your other two questions, why not use this challenge to answer them? Try different types of meditation and yoga as part of your challenge, at the end look back and decide which one helped the most.

^^ Good advice!

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Deeeerp. I went out of town for the long weekend, right, and was Internet-less until, well, late last night. Looks like I'll be starting the challenge one day late again! To make up for this, I'll add an extra day at the end. Hopefully it won't matter, though, because if I can change my daily habits to include these challenge goals, then it won't be "an extra challenge day", but just a part of every day life. Call it a life challenge...or LVLING UP!

Anyway, thanks to all who replied with advice, tips, and encouragement! I didn't have time to get back to you all before I went away, so I will do so now.

Evenewbie:

I've meditated a few times before, but nothing regular. I hadn't considered rest day, so I may incorporate those into the challenge as well. Well, maybe not "rest days", but days where I allow myself to skip a meditation session with no guilt. "Meditate at least 5 times a week" shall be one of my quests. And hey, if this is the case, then let's say I did start the challenge yesterday and simply used one of my weekly rest days early B)

I've done a bit of yoga before as well but, again, nothing regular. They have classes at GoodLife that I can easily go to, but they are not much for individual instruction, since everyone is just following along. It might be a good intro to learning the poses, though (I know a few poses, but not nearly all of them). I'll look into classes on campus if they fit my schedule and, more importantly, my budget.

Thanks for the link btw!

Arilian Princess and terrormortus:

Y'know...that does make more sense, about the main quest. So I will leave it as is, in its multi-paragraph glory! Becoming a mentalist will be the quest for the time being, and it will help me along in the overall life main quest I'm undertaking.

Also loving the idea of keeping this thread as a journal for meditation exercises! I've never been one for journals because, y'know, responsibility, but writing on the Internet is always something I like to do, so this will probably work!

Sunmage:

Funny story: I actually stumbled upon that site a few days ago (before taking off into the woods) and... "get lost with 30 tabs of stuff to read and try and start nothing after reading 30 articles" is precisely what I did haha! Bookmarked it, though!

Misc. challenge-related items:

I'm on the finishing end of writing my thesis. I hate writing and want to be done with it all, but I'm going a little slow and...someone from faculty told me that there was an empty room I could use to write. This is most awesome because I'll be the only one in that room, with zero distractions, meaning I can do my meditation in this new office and nobody's going to walk in and wonder WTF I'm doing. Hoorah!

So far, I am failing greatly at not picking at my face/neck/hair. Well, okay, my hair isn't a problem if it's held/tied back, but I constantly pick at my face and neck. This likely causes me to get more pimples and blackheads, which in turn make me pick at my face more. Fffffuuuuu... I'm pretty sure it's something anxiety related, but correlation doesn't imply causation, so I'm hoping that not picking anymore can possibly make me less anxious? It's something to try, ayway. So I've sucked at not picking yesterday and most of this morning. BUT! I've been catching myself picking at my face a lot this morning, too, and stopping. It's a start. Now, if I could just not start picking again like 60 seconds after stopping, I'd be on to something. The good news is: when I type, I can't pick! Hah! Oh shit...is writing my thesis the key to not picking?? WRITE MOAAARR!

Vegetables: I'm doing better at this lately! Or at least I did over the weekend. Celery may become my new best friend, because it's crunchy, and filling...for a while. I'm pretty sure it has some kind of health-boosting benefits, too. I'll have to look into that.

As a fellow DYWM beginner program attempter, I'll be over here cheering you on!  

I've dabbled a bit in meditation in the past.  Sounds like some mindfulness exercises might be helpful to you.  One thing you might try as you're exploring possibilities is anapana meditation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anapanasati). It's based on observing the breath. I've found it helps to bring me back to the present and to the moment I'm in when I fall into the negative thoughts and mindfog.

Good luck!

Level 4 City Elf Scout

STR: 6 |  DEX: 5  |  STA: 9  |  CON: 8  |  WIS: 6  |  CHA: 6

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

First check-in!

2.1, meditate daily: Done. I'm not sure how successful I was, though. Ah well, it's not like I was expecting miracles during my first time meditating for 5ish minutes. I did learn some things, though:

- Meditation is tough when there are other people in the house. Even if I'm alone upstairs, I can still hear all the noise from downstairs, like the TV and people talking to each other. I'll attempt to do my daily meditation either in the morning when everyone's asleep, or in the new quiet office I mentioned in the last post. I'm assuming I'll be able to tolerate and/or block out background noise when I meditate eventually, but not right now.

- Even after 5 mins, my upper back was hurting. This is likely due to a lifetime of horribad posture. Hopefully straightening out while meditating will help my posture and, in turn, my confidence. I realize there's nothing I can do about this except keep at it, and I shall!

- The "beginner's meditation" I'm following from the Mentalist book is as follows, along with my comments for today:

1. Close your eyes. Inhale a deep breath to the count of five and then hold your breath for a count of four. Then slowly exhale to the count of eight. Repeat this ten times. Remember the healing breath exercise I discussed earlier. You never want to feel yourself coming to a complete stop in your breathing. Instead think of yourself as the pedal on a bike, continuins in a constant circular motion.

2. You can now relax with your normal breathing.

3. Focus your attention up to to the third-eye area (the point between your eyebrows, on your forehead.)

4. Don't let your chin droop. IT DROOPS ALL BY ITSELF D: Defnitely something to work on. It should be tilted slightly upward. Allow your hands to rest easily on your lap, palms turned upward, which will allow you to be more open and receptive.

5. Make sure your spine and head are positioned upward and you have your legs either cross-legged or in a kneeling position.

6. Your mantra is the word "om". In your mind I want you to begin to repeat "om," but nothing needs to be heard, so just say it to yourself mentally. I wasn't sure how long the "om" had to be, so I just experimented with various lengths, and found that an "ooommmmm" that lasts about 3 seconds worked best. I'm also unsure of how to coordinate the "om" with my breathing o_O

7. Continue mentally repeating your mantra "om--om--om--om--om," and if other thoughts begin to distract you, just let them dissolve. As mentioned earlier, meditation takes practice, and it will be difficult at first not to let other thoughts pop into your head. You simply need to let these other thoughts disappear, without placing special attention on the dissolving process. Don't stress about it!

The meditation is intended to focus and relax you, enhancing your receptivity for awareness and intuition. Within two weeks of daily practice, you will notice a lot of changes. Your mind will become clearer and you will feel less stress. Your body might feel stronger and you'll likely have more energy. You'll also feel like you're more receptive to the world around you, observing more, with a feeling that all of your senses have been enhanced. Allrighty, two weeks it is!

2.2, yoga and/or breath exercise: I didn't do it today. I'm following the DYWM beginner course, and it only has two classes per week, so class 1 will be Wednesday.

2.3, Lumosity daily brain exercises: Done. I was expecting my BPI to plummet since I hadn't done the exercises in over a month. Instead I got 3 personal bests, and two personal top 5 scores. WTF!?? Eh. I'm not complaining. Maybe it was because I was all relaxed due to not expecting stellar results?

3.1, not picking: I did good at noticing when I was picking today. I did less good at stopping for any appreciable length of time. Will do better tomorrow!

3.2, eating more vegetables: #winning, because there was quinoa salad at hand, and I go through that stuff like crazy. I'm also hungry again now, and celery beware, HERE I COME! also had eggs for breakfast, lean meat (along with green beans) for lunch. Piles of beets and chicken wings* for supper.

*Chicken wings are horrible, but I took care to remove the skin and most of the grease before eating them. It's amazing how little meat is on those freaking things. At least they were home-made ;P AND I only had 6!

EDIT: Just saw your post, Earlsdottir. Thanks for the link and the tip :) (You replied while I was typing this novel lol)

Yesterday's scores, which I did not post yesterday due to MMO'ing.

2.1, meditate: Done. My chin was not drooping as much, which is a little bit of progress. I managed to pick a more quiet time to meditate, too, which probably helped. I found that random thoughts were popping into my mind more and more after 5 mins or so, though. It's sort of like exercise: the longer you do a session something, the harder it becomes to do it properly o_O So I find that once my technique starts to falter too much, it's best to just stop. Or should I keep going for a certain time anyway, even if more thoughts keep entering my would-be clear mind?

2.2, yoga: Turns out it's next to impossible to do the DYWM classes with the videos, due to constant interruptions X( Timing has to be perfect. I'll attempt class 1 again tonight, but only after I say "I'M GOING TO DO SOME YOGA IN MY ROOM, NOBODY BOTHER ME!!1" Hopefully nobody bothers me, except the cats. Nobody has any control over the cats. There must also not be anyone sleeping in the room next to mine, because then the vids will bother them x_x

2.3, Lumosity: Done.

3.1, not picking: Caught myself several times. Morning wasn't too bad. Afternoon was brutal. I then realized that I had no method to grade myself for this goal, so I edited my OP to add a grading system. It's 9:20 AM right now, and I've almost fallen out of the A range already. D'oh! At least it's an improvement, because yesterday at this time I probably would have been in the C range by now.

3.2, vegetables: I had potatoes, carrots, and...some type of white, carrot-like vegetable along with my lunch. There may have been green beans too. With supper there was some quinoa salad with cabbage, and an entree salad with olives and cucumbers and artichoke hearts. There were probably other things in there, but I forget what they were.

I should make a grading system for the veggies goal too, actually. It's kind of tough to quantify, though, besides the usual "less than average", "average", and "over average". I'll be all up in everyone else's threads, stalking y'all for your vegetable consumption grading methods!

Lastly: FFFFFFFUUUUUU... just fell out of the A range for picking -_-

Will update again later, with today's progress.

In some cases yes, but for one out of our three kitties, closed doors result in property damage ;P

I have been gifted this item in the past, but clearly I'm not thinking positively enough (see bottom left):

Control-a-Cat_2.jpg

Right. Onward with the daily quest results! (If I seem overly cheerful, blame the wine. "Not drinking as much alcohol" will be a quest in the future. The far, far future.)

2.1, meditate: I haven't done this today yet, mainly due to my back being sore. I signed up at a new gym today and did a few hardcore exercises. And by "hardcore" I really mean a few assisted pull-ups, some incline push-ups, and the most basic-sounding exercises ever which had me lying on the floor and raising my arms 15 to 20 degrees above the ground with no weights on them.

No joke.

I used to be pretty big into (amateur) kickboxing in the past, from 2002 to 2010. During that time, I usually had my shoulders hunched to protect my chin, and was slightly bent over while doing drills. Combine this with a life time of sitting at the computer/TV/console, and there's a recipe for never having worked some of my back muscles, EVER. For a while I had really long hair, too, which I never tied back and was...oh gee, always holding back by jamming it with my shoulder, which was hunched up and forward. Essentially, I'm trying to undo a lifetime of horribad posture. I can do push-ups no problem, but was never able to do a pull-up. I can push, but I can't pull. Anyway, you get the idea. My back muscles are utter failsauce right now, and I'm trying to add some balance back into my body. Luckily, this new gym I just joined has personalized training based on my own flexibility (or lack thereof) and I had my flexibility screen last night. My first workout was this morning, and now my back is sore, from just moving my arms in ways I've never moved them before. This is actually a blessing because, if I hunch over, I feel soreness, which makes me not hunch over. I also feel more like a badass when I don't hunch over. I WANT THESE RESULTS TO LAST FOREVER! Even though I was only doing n00b exercises. This is awesome. I can't wait until the coach lets me start lifting :D

Right. Where was I going with this? Oh right. I didn't meditate today because my back was a little sore (the good kind of sore), and meditating also makes my back sore because standing up straight is a workout, apparently. And hey, Evenewbie said I was allowed rest days, so there :D I did, however...

2.2, do yoga: I did the first class of the beginner DYWM course, which consisted of stretching. THE ONES FOR MY UPPER BACK FELT SO GOOD OMG! See above. I'm so freaking glad I did this. Also, <3 foam roller.

2.3, Lumosity: Done! the Memory Matrix game was rocked. I don't know if this is a coincidence or due to increased attention because I meditated for 5 minutes in the last two days. I won't jump to conclusions, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for correlations.

3.1, NOT PICKING: I came up with a new grading system for this, and caught myself picking *drum roll* ...51 times today. It's 9:04 now, so my grade is a solid F. I may edit my marking scheme a little if I consistently faceplant, but I'll still aim for a less solid F tomorrow. "Less solid" being less than 51. Progress!

3.2, vegetables: I probably averaged this once again. Quinoa salad with my dinner, and mediterannean(sp?) salad with supper. There were other veggies in there too. I think. I'm also having grapes right now. Liquid grapes...

There was something else I wanted to say but I forgot. Will edit when I remember. Or I'll do it tomorrow, like my thesis.

I was feeling really lazy but managed to do things anwyay. Yay! Now I feel a lot better for having done them.

2.1, Meditate: Done. My back wasn't as sore, but I don't think I managed more than 10 mins. Downstairs distractions were present again, but whatever. I noticed that my back hurt less quickly now, and that I was belly breathing a little better without conscioudly thinking about belly breathing properly.

2.2, Yoga: didn't get to this today, went to the gym instead. I said I'd look at the tutorial but forgot. There's still time, though. And I did go to the gym today, so all is good.

2.3, Lumosity: Done!

3.1, NO PICKING: It's 10:30 now and I'm at 60. Gaaaah! X(

3.2, vegetables: Average. Today was Friday, and some friends and I always have lunch at one of the local chinese restaurants. I had a hot and sour soup, as usual (had all sorts of veggies in it, and some cloud ear mushrooms, which are fcking amazing), and shared a dish with a friend as well. I took one fork of noodles, but otherwise stuck mostly to the vegetables. Supper veggies were limited to quinoa salad and a few red peppers and mushrooms. Could have done better during supper :P

I'm going to a friend's camp tomorrow, so there will be no updates. Still, I made sure to bring a large veggie tray, because fuck Doritos, Cheetos, and Lays. I also brought some chicken breases, because apparently I'm the only one in the group who prefers white chicken over brown ;P There will also be alcohol but...I'll try to not overdo it.

Srsly, I think something alcohol-related will be listed somewhere in the next challenge I undertake X(

I was feeling really lazy but managed to do things anwyay. Yay! Now I feel a lot better for having done them.

Good on you!  Overcoming that inertia can seriously be the hardest part.  For me, if I can just get myself off the couch long enough to put on my workout gear, I'm 80% more likely to overcome the laziness.  And I almost always feel better afterward.

My back wasn't as sore

I've done a handful of long meditation retreats.  You may have already figured this out, but posture is really key here. As hard as it can be to sit up straight, sitting up straight will lead to less back pain, and to longer periods without back pain, than slouching will.  (Of course, soreness from sitting still is a very different sort of soreness from a heavy gym day!)

NO PICKING: It's 10:30 now and I'm at 60. Gaaaah! X(

I can't think that beating yourself up over this is going to help your motivation to improve it.  Maybe it would be helpful to count through Sunday, then set a benchmark and grade yourself by improvement from that benchmark?  For example, if your benchmark is 60 times per day this week, then if you, say, make it a goal to lower the number by 10 per week until you hit zero at the end of the challenge -- would that be a more encouraging way to approach it?  Then you could grade yourself on progress beginning where you are now.

Srsly, I think something alcohol-related will be listed somewhere in the next challenge I undertake X(

The way my night is going, my first thought at that was -- "Hey, that's a brilliant idea! Next challenge, my goal will be to drink more....oh, wait.  That's probably not what was meant..."

Level 4 City Elf Scout

STR: 6 |  DEX: 5  |  STA: 9  |  CON: 8  |  WIS: 6  |  CHA: 6

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Back!

2.1, meditate: Saturday, fail. Sunday, win. Not much has changed, except I think my back is taking longer to get tired now. I'm not sure if it's entirely because of the recent regular meditation efforts, but I'm sure it's helping to a certain extent! With this, the new gym's focus on technique/posture, and my own developing OCD about proper posture, I'm hoping to see my meditation times increase. MOMENTUM!

On Saturday while driving around, I was totally trying to keep my back, neck, and shoulders positioned properly all day. So even though I didn't get to meditating, the day wasn't a complete failure XD It's amazing--and highly aggravating--how most car seats (and office chairs) are shaped in such a way that pushes your upper back into the wrong position.

Also, I should probably start timing myself when I meditate, instead of sayng "I did 5-ish minutes I think" ...

2.2, Yoga: Not yet. (It's rather hard to do Yoga at the camp, or while driving around lol) I need to get cracking on this. Tonight I'll do class 2! And the tutorial. If I come back tomorrow and say I didn't do it, then everyone make fun of me plz.

2.3, Lumosity: Missed it Saturday due to no Interwebz, but did it on Sunday. I do good at most games until I have to do the ones where I have to count and/or do math. Fffffuuuuu. Those are ALWAYS the ones that bring my BPI down. An added piss-off is that "smart" and "math" usually go together x_x I might have to play those games more, but...urgh. I don't want to lower my overall score lol.

3.1, not picking: Saturday score was 36, Sunday score was 18! It seems that I pick at my face less when I'm occupied. Or not stressed. Or that I pick at my face more when I'm procrastinating or reading or futzing around on tumblr. This does not bode well, because I love doing these things.

Earlsdottir, the thought of doing benchmarks has crossed my mind and, who knows, I might still do it later if I find myself getting unmotivated :P I'm not quite beating myself up over it...well, not unless my score starts to constantly increase, anyway. I probably just had an offf-day last Friday. If anything, I'll look at the average of one week and compare it to the next. Either way, I have a feeling thst this will be one of those life quests that will follow me into the next challenge.

3.2, vegetables: Saturday was a success! I tend to bring large veggie trays (and quinoa salad) whenever I go to my friend's camp, so that way I can grab veggies instead when the craving for chips and trail mix hits me. I had at least one portion of chips over the weekend, though. Gaaah! Sunday was less of a success, and I had bread. And (small) pancakes. And rice. I also had eggs and bacon for breakfast (with no toast) and wild salmon for supper, but it was generally one of those let's-fall-off-the-wagon days. Eh, at least I tend to only have those once every 2 to 3 weeks. BUT, I didn't drink more than one glass of alcohol!

A challenge to drink more? Don't tempt me, especially with the holidays right around the corner lol!

3.2, vegetables: I had potatoes, carrots, and...some type of white, carrot-like vegetable along with my lunch. 

This line had me chuckling at my desk.

Great job with the progress so far. I can relate a bit with the posture problems, I have a habit of not keeping my shoulders straight and it's a poin in the but to fix, especially where I have to work on a counter all day.

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

I know dat feel. It's funny how some people sometimes describe intense physical jobs as "back breaking labor" when in reality the more (long-term) back breaking jobs are usually desk and/or counter jobs.

I just Google translated the unknown veggies, and apparently they're parsnips. I didn't know the English word for them and was too lazy to Google at the time lol. This will likely be the one tidbit of new knowledge I retain for the day.

On with the scoring (from yesterday):

2.1, meditate: Done! I did 9 to 10 minutes overall, counting the ten initial breaths that have a different timing. The book says I should aim to do 20 mins, but I'm not sure if that means with or without those ten special breaths at the beginning (inhale for 5 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, exhale for 8, repeat x 10). I figure I'll just time myself doing just those breaths, and then subtract that time from whatever time I get when I meditate to get a more accurate value of "focus time".

I've also noticed that if I try to imagine someone else's voice (like, say, some celeb whose voice I can recognize) saying the "Om" mantra, then I have an easier time focusing on it. Or at least have an easier time catching myself when I'm not focusing on it.

2.2, yoga: Done! I had done an upper body workout that morning, too (and afternoon, to a certain extent) and, again, it felt fcking awesome XD My back is still a bit sore now, so I might do session 3 tonight. I have no gym tonight, so it should work.

2.3, Lumosity: Done. Higher BPI! And did a personal best on that accursed Chalkboard Challenge game. That game (and Raindrops and all its variations) and I do not get along.

3.1, not picking: The count last night before bed was at 32. This is way better than last week. It's still in the F range according to my scoring system, but it's 100% better than my score from Friday. Progress! I've also noticed that this score tends to increase at a higher rate during late afternoons at work.

3.2, vegetables: Quinoa salad with supper and...does a little cheese-stuffed halapeno count? :\ So that was pretty much a fail, or at least a "below average." Urgh. I need to quantify this vegetables goal, otherwise there's no way to keep track of things. Let's say...

4 vegetable helpings: A

3 vegetable helpings: B

2 vegetable helpings: C

1 vegetable helping: D

0 vegetable helpings: F

Yesterday's scores:

2.1, meditate: Done. I shortened the "Om" length and it seems to work better. Will keep mentally saying it in this way and see what happens. I forgot to time myself to track focus time -_-

Regarding the previously-mentioned trick of using a familiar celeb's voice (or a familiar voice, period): I realize I'm thinking the "Om"s in a voice I wish I had lol. I wonder if my RL voice will change as a result. Wishful thinking, I know haha!

2.2, yoga: Didn't get to the tutorial yet. I was going to watch it at work, but my headphones decided to stop working. Fuzzuck.

3.1, no picking: Score was 28. I was expecting it to be higher because I went to see a movie, and I usually pick like crazy when I go to the movies, but last night I didn't. It's not my lowest score by far, but I'll take it!

3.2, vegetables: B. Quinoa salad with lunch, then with dinner, and a large bag of celery and cauliflower throughout the afternoon. Then cucumbers with supper. I'm not sure what qualifies as a helping, so this might have been an A with the cucumbers. I didn't have many pieces, though.

2.1, meditate: Done.

2.2, yoga: Will be tonight, because today was an upper body day and I can already feel the ouch lol.

3.1, no picking: Score of 34.

3.2, veggies: C or B. I had a massive pile of celery with lunch (not sure if I should count it for 1 or 2 helpings), and something else for supper. I forgot what it was. And Lumosity says memory is my best category. Pfhah!

It felt as if everything was off yesterday. Ah well, did most of what I wanted to do, so it can't really be called a failure.

Woops. Sort of fell off the wagon yesterday (Thursday). It all started with tequila...

Anyway, the only positive thing to report were in the side quests.

3.1, not picking: I think my score was around 23. It was between 22 and 25, fo' sho'. This was better than the score from the previous day. I was also busier that day, which seems to be a common theme: I pick more when I'm at the computer.

3.2, vegetables: B. Handfull of carrots at lunch, and two salads throughout the evening. I don't really eat supper anymore, it's more like munch here and there throughout the evening lol. I also had a few spoonfulls of spaghetti sauce with lentils. Wait...is this 3 or 4 helpings? Either way, I got close to an A there :D

Tonight my back and shoulders should be less sore, and allow for some meditation again. Seriously, I sat down to meditate yesterday and was like "Nope, fuck it" because one of the main factors that make me end my meditation sessions is back (posture-related) muscle pain, so I figured I'd be better off allowing those muscles to rest. Especially after upper body day lol. As for yoga, EVERYONE YELL AT ME TOMORROW IF I DON'T DO IT TONIGHT OK.

I have a pile of books in my reading list, and Supernormal is in that pile, and will likely be the next one I read. How much do you all want to bet that my yoga efforts will skyrocket after I'm done with it? XD

Another goal for tonight: work on (and fix things on) one of my cosplays, because there's a photoshoot on Sunday and everything has to be looking uber :o

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines