Facing My Fears - Blogging my way to the stage

Donar

Already read it, and found it very inspiring. 

Also the blog post is awesome, and you're going to kickass at that competition!

Thanks fellas!

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today was just some good honest work...nothing earth shattering....nothing disappointing....just good work.

BB Row: 265 x 6, 6, 6, 6 (up 5 from last week...staying here...a little sloppy)
HammerStrength Pulldown: 230 x 8, 7, 6 (up 10 from last week)
BB Shrug: 245 x 8, 8, 7 (up 10 from last week)
HammerStrength Press: 200 x 6, 6, 6, 6 (New exercise, up 10 next week)

Notes:
- did some decent body bobbing on the rows...so gotta stay at the same weight
- Those pulldowns were all out
- Shrugs were.....shrugs....never exciting
- Pretty thrilled to be doing more than 100 pounds per hand on the press

Sculptor - Warrior

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am following what you are putting together for Alex. I know you have talked A LOT about all this in previous threads as well. I am going to try to put as much of that information together so I can ask you more specific questions. I want my next challenge to be nutritionally focused again, working with a weight lifting routine. 

You have recommended Starting Strength for me. I am still reading it so I can't say I have the greatest foundation in weight lifting yet. The information on form is great. It seems I can't really rely on anyone at the gym where I go- they don't even have a rack to squat in. I found a way to improvise one though. 

I am inspired to move forward by your work here- you are a BEAST! Looking forward to catching up on your blog too.

I am following what you are putting together for Alex. I know you have talked A LOT about all this in previous threads as well. I am going to try to put as much of that information together so I can ask you more specific questions. I want my next challenge to be nutritionally focused again, working with a weight lifting routine. 

You have recommended Starting Strength for me. I am still reading it so I can't say I have the greatest foundation in weight lifting yet. The information on form is great. It seems I can't really rely on anyone at the gym where I go- they don't even have a rack to squat in. I found a way to improvise one though. 

I am inspired to move forward by your work here- you are a BEAST! Looking forward to catching up on your blog too.

Thanks Jefro. Starting Strength is a great place to start for someone new to lifting...

However, it certainly isn't the only way to do things...

In addition, what you do in the gym is going to have far less impact on your body composition and your goals in general than your nutrition.

You are on the right track for sure....get your nutrition figured out first.

Then, if you are putting in decent work in the gym, you will be good to go.

Sculptor - Warrior

Insane numbers this week:

This week:
Weight: 197.0 lbs
BF%: 8.25%
Fat Mass: 16.26 lbs
Lean Mass: 180.74 lbs
Waist: 32 3/8"
-----------------------------------------
Last week:
Weight: 196.6 lbs
BF%: 8.53%
Fat Mass: 16.78 lbs
Lean Mass: 179.82 lbs
Week Over Week:
Weight: +0.4 lbs
BF%: -0.28%
Fat Mass: -0.52 lbs
Lean Mass: +0.92 lbs
Waist: Same

Just............epic.

Sculptor - Warrior

This week:

Last week:

Week Over Week:

Just............epic.

Awesome!  :triumphant::star::triumphant::star:

Way to go Donar! :tyrannosaurus:

So happy for you!! ^_^

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Just............epic.

^this

Also, I just got caught up on your blog this morning. You've had quite a year. And based on this, there's more awesomeness to come in 2014.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Also, I just got caught up on your blog this morning. You've had quite a year. And based on this, there's more awesomeness to come in 2014.

While 2014 won't necessarily bring the dramatic physical changes that 2013 did....I plan on 2014 being the year that I change myself for the better in several ways. Face some of my fears....and a huge one for me: staying focused and keep it going after the summit has been reached. The whole "what now" I referred to in my blog...

I think its very common for people to hit a target (scale weight, BF level, whatever) and then just quit because they accomplished what they set out to do.

I absolutely have done this many times over the years....I am a charter member of that club.

Not anymore....I change that in 2014. I am going to compete, reach my summit, but keep going in my healthy lifestyle in the aftermath. It's my biggest life goal for 2014.

I simply cannot let myself go and return to horrible physical condition....I would be shortening my life by exposing myself to the high blood pressure and diabetes that is always going to be on my heels due to my family history.

Sculptor - Warrior

Don't even sweat the total cals...in fact...exceed your typical number....on purpose.

You want to send a definitive signal to your body to upregulate your leptin levels....

You need caloric surplus and a big dose of carbs....

I don't count my macros....but if I was to ballpark it, my refeed is on the order of 300-400 carbs....so I am probably overshooting my typical cal number by a good 600-800 cals...meaning that if I am typically at a caloric deficit of 400....that day, I am at a 300-400 cal surplus...

Edit: this will cause a 2-day uptick on the scale....but its temporary, don't painic....its a good thing.

Trying a refeed today and fixed that chili spahhetti you mentioned. I had a couple of questions.

If you split it up into two meals (quickly realized that 300 carbs is a lot of food :)) ) is there a certain timeframe to try to hit? Such as getting the two meals within a couple hours of each other. Also, do refeed days need to be rest days or can you work out and get the same effect?

Btw, the chili is pretty dang good. I usually don't cook bean heavy chilies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

LVL 3: Human Assassin

STR: 7.75 | DEX: 5 | STA: 4 | CON: 2 | WIS: 4  | CHA: 2

Current Challenge

Past Challenges: 1, 2

Trying a refeed today and fixed that chili spahhetti you mentioned. I had a couple of questions. If you split it up into two meals (quickly realized that 300 carbs is a lot of food :)) ) is there a certain timeframe to try to hit? Such as getting the two meals within a couple hours of each other. Also, do refeed days need to be rest days or can you work out and get the same effect? Btw, the chili is pretty dang good. I usually don't cook bean heavy chilies. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

The refeed can be a couple meals...and I do that some of the times....totally fine.

You just don't want to open the door to total insanity gorging....lol

Glad you like it....and with all those beans, pasta, crackers and cornbread....the carbs rack up nice and fast. :)

Also....honey on cornbread is insanely good....*drool

Sculptor - Warrior

I decided to track it just to make sure I was getting a good idea of how much is enough. How about the workouts on refeed days? I wasn't sure if that would counteract what the refeed was trying to do. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Whoops...forgot that part....refeeds can happen on any day you want them to....

Just make sure it isn't every day....hahaa!!!

Sculptor - Warrior

Whoops...forgot that part....refeeds can happen on any day you want them to....

Just make sure it isn't every day....hahaa!!!

No problem, thanks for the info. I don't know if I could handle them everyday haha. That was so much food.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

LVL 3: Human Assassin

STR: 7.75 | DEX: 5 | STA: 4 | CON: 2 | WIS: 4  | CHA: 2

Current Challenge

Past Challenges: 1, 2

Today was just some good honest work...nothing earth shattering....nothing disappointing....just good work.

BB Row: 265 x 6, 6, 6, 6 (up 5 from last week...staying here...a little sloppy)

HammerStrength Pulldown: 230 x 8, 7, 6 (up 10 from last week)

BB Shrug: 245 x 8, 8, 7 (up 10 from last week)

HammerStrength Press: 200 x 6, 6, 6, 6 (New exercise, up 10 next week)

Notes:

- did some decent body bobbing on the rows...so gotta stay at the same weight

- Those pulldowns were all out

- Shrugs were.....shrugs....never exciting

- Pretty thrilled to be doing more than 100 pounds per hand on the press

nice workout! i wonder if the gym near me has hammerstrength machines. I am currently just doing mostly cable, DB, and BW workouts in my small apartment gym but when I move back to the regular gym it'd be nice to have this type of machine that you say reflects your body's typical ROM.

This week:

Last week:

Week Over Week:

Just............epic.

uh.maze.ing.

you are killing it!

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

nice workout! i wonder if the gym near me has hammerstrength machines. I am currently just doing mostly cable, DB, and BW workouts in my small apartment gym but when I move back to the regular gym it'd be nice to have this type of machine that you say reflects your body's typical ROM.

uh.maze.ing.

you are killing it!

Thanks Courtnie!

I love HammerStrength machines. Plate loaded and are pretty darn good replicas of natural motion.

I am currently using the Press to replace the seated DB press because getting the DBs into position was becoming dangerous.

Also, using the pulldown due to the fact that I can use a supinated grip and row to my abdomen.....freaking love it.

Every day that I read the blog, I get more pumped to get going.

Going to a local gym, which according to my wife's cousin has a great daycare which will be awesome for later on. I'll be checking it out tonight!

Alex, once that nutrition is dialed in and you start seeing the fruits of your labor.....you start building this undeniable momentum....it is this positive force in your life that spills into other aspects of your life....more energy for work, you just feel better and it end up making me want to be excellent at everything I do....

Momentum is a powerful thing.

P.S. Work has me going a thousand miles an hour since Friday.....I am hoping to start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel as there is a big deadline looming on Wednesday....:( I will try to crunch some numbers for you when I get the chance.

Sculptor - Warrior

Alex, once that nutrition is dialed in and you start seeing the fruits of your labor.....you start building this undeniable momentum....it is this positive force in your life that spills into other aspects of your life....more energy for work, you just feel better and it end up making me want to be excellent at everything I do....

Momentum is a powerful thing.

P.S. Work has me going a thousand miles an hour since Friday.....I am hoping to start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel as there is a big deadline looming on Wednesday.... :( I will try to crunch some numbers for you when I get the chance.

Yes, I'll be working for that momentum. 

Don't worry too much about it. I already appreciate the help. I'd just like to set up a good plan for the next challenge and l'd like to set up the meal plan as best as I can!

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

This week:

Last week:

Week Over Week:

Just............epic.

Nice work.

I think I've come to the conclusion that waist measurement is a direct measure of fat mass, at least for me. The more I contemplate all of my data, the more strongly I feel about this. To me waist measurement is the key measurement, even moreso than weight.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

I think I've come to the conclusion that waist measurement is a direct measure of fat mass, at least for me. The more I contemplate all of my data, the more strongly I feel about this. To me waist measurement is the key measurement, even moreso than weight.

Do you mean waist or navel?  (Though I realize for guys these are more the same thing than for women.)

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

Do you mean waist or navel?  (Though I realize for guys these are more the same thing than for women.)

Waist.

They are actually quite a bit different. At least for me. My oblique shape is such that the navel is fair bit wider than the waist. I also like to do my waist measurements with the abs flexed, and the abs are above the navel (I can feel and sometimes see #8, right below the navel, but that doesn't really count).

For women it would depend on the shape. This would be true for an apple, not so much for a pear.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

While 2014 won't necessarily bring the dramatic physical changes that 2013 did....I plan on 2014 being the year that I change myself for the better in several ways. Face some of my fears....and a huge one for me: staying focused and keep it going after the summit has been reached. The whole "what now" I referred to in my blog...

I think its very common for people to hit a target (scale weight, BF level, whatever) and then just quit because they accomplished what they set out to do.

I absolutely have done this many times over the years....I am a charter member of that club.

Not anymore....I change that in 2014. I am going to compete, reach my summit, but keep going in my healthy lifestyle in the aftermath. It's my biggest life goal for 2014.

I simply cannot let myself go and return to horrible physical condition....I would be shortening my life by exposing myself to the high blood pressure and diabetes that is always going to be on my heels due to my family history.

Great goal for 2014.

I'm going to press on to my original body comp goal post-weight loss (205 lbs @ 10% BF), which should be achieved next year no problem, but I'm really reconsidering my path beyond then.

Perhaps you are the only one here that may understand the issue. I'm starting to really get into "bodybuilder problems". Namely, the amount of clothes that fits me is rapidly dwindling, the subset that actually looks good is dwindling even faster. My thigh/glute/waist measurements are only compatible with loose cut pants, and even then I generally need a bigger waist size than a I really need in order for my butt to actually fit. Standard fitting shirts fit me frickin horrible, athletic cuts work for the most part, but my chest measurement is on the fringe of being too big, and arms are becoming a problem too. Going up a size means things are longer, which is no bueno. Also getting into L T-shirts as compression gear (the size jump from L to XL almost always takes you into the fat zone, even with athletic cut stuff).

I haven't passed the point of custom clothes and/or stretchy clothes only yet, but I'm not terribly far away either. My wife already teases me about my bubble butt that doesn't fit in most pants. The same problems the obese have with clothes that fit is a problem that a bodybuilder physique also has. Do I really want that?

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Nice work.

Thanks man.

100% agree. The waist measurement just doesn't lie on me....

While the calipers throw the occasional curveball at me....and the scale is all over the freaking place....that waist measurement is just totally reliable.

Sculptor - Warrior

Waist.

They are actually quite a bit different. At least for me. My oblique shape is such that the navel is fair bit wider than the waist. I also like to do my waist measurements with the abs flexed, and the abs are above the navel (I can feel and sometimes see #8, right below the navel, but that doesn't really count).

For women it would depend on the shape. This would be true for an apple, not so much for a pear.

On me, the waist measurement happens to go around my obliques and right over my belly button.

I am basically trying to measure around the part with the largest circumference.

On women, the hips are an excellent measurements as well as women tend to carry body fat in the "saddle bag" area. It is a really good indicator of body fat loss/increase as well.....

Sculptor - Warrior

On me, the waist measurement happens to go around my obliques and right over my belly button.

I am basically trying to measure around the part with the largest circumference.

On women, the hips are an excellent measurements as well as women tend to carry body fat in the "saddle bag" area. It is a really good indicator of body fat loss/increase as well.....

Yeah, for me my waist tends to drop fat the quickest and is the most reliable "you are making progress" measurement for a while.  Then once it reaches a certain amount of leanness, hips start to go.

Navel, on the other hand, tends to vary more depending on what I ate the day before than anything else.  I easily gain/lose a few inches of navel measurement depending on food/water quantity.  The ol' "food baby" :D

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines