Becoming Super Destroyer

Super Destroyer

Hello.  My name is James, aka Super Destroyer.  This is challenge number 2.  I am in training for the future zombie apocalypse.  Strength, flexibility, and longevity are my goals.   I am a 49 yr. old father of 7, the youngest being 2, so I have been preparing myself for the last 5 months to hang around as long as I can.  (And God wills)

Main Quest:  To continue strength training and losing weight, now as a a zombie slaying warrior known as Super Destroyer.  (Able to crush zombie heads with my bare hands)

How I Will Do This:  5 x 5 strong lifts  (Started 10/28)

Paleo lifestyle  (Also started 10/28)

Playing and walking with kids each weekend

Fitness Side Goal:  160 squat, 205 deadlift, and 135 bench press by 12/22 Edited bench weight 11/22

Spiritual Goal:  Take time out of each day to read at least 1 book from the Bible, starting with Ephesians.  (Added 11/18)

Vanity Side Goal:    Super heroes have narrow waists, so I want to be in 38's

by 12/22.  (In 42's right now)

Life Side Goal:        Be a more patient Dad to my children.

Scoring System:    Strong lifts 3 days a week     25-27 for an A

Paleo 7 days a week             40-45 an A

Take my kids to walk each Saturday at the river     5-6 for an A

Fit comfortably in my old "new" 38 jeans         A

read 28 days-A

Current measurements:  234 as of 11/4

Neck:  16 1/8 in

Chest  52 in.

Waist  48 1/2 in

Biceps  15 3/8 in.

Thighs  331/2 in  (as of 10/28)

Good luck to everyone on their challenges!

• Like 1

Nice goals! Sound like you've got some awesome motivation and you've made huge progress already.

Level 2 Cyborg Warrior: [ STR 4 | STA 1 | CON 3 | DEX 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 1 ]         Myfitnesspal: physixer   

Challenge 1: I will do SCIENCE to it!

Challenge 2: Experimental Upgrades MK.I

"Once you've got a task to do, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it." - Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself

It is by will alone I set the weights in motion.

It is by the protein of whey that I acquire gainz, the muscles acquire DOMS, the DOMS becomes a warning.

good goals :)

how do you plan to go about your life side goal??

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Thanks, wildross. 

Alienjenn, for my life side goal I am trying to do more things with my kids.  Before I got in better shape, I was really depressed and didn't even want to go outside.  I had trouble keeping up with them.  Also, staying more in line with Christ and remembering what he has done for me will help.  I need to show everyone the same patience he extends to me.  I was a mess before last year, and it extended into my home life.  Feeling better physically is a big first step, but all the credit goes to God, because I would have never gotten this far without His strength. 

• Like 1

I just worry about vague goals... and was wondering how you were going o define it :D

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Fifth day of 5x5 went well.  Squats are getting more challenging, but looking at my videos, I feel like I am getting depth and staying vertical.  Finally got a video uploaded to youtube, and I will post soon.  Rows got more difficult at 75lbs, and I couldn't touch my chest on all reps.  Should I drop back to 70 or stay at 75 until I can do all reps correctly?  Felt like I was curling the bar at the top of the last reps.  Bench is still really easy at 55lbs.  I was benching 70 lb dumbbells before I started.  Feel like I should move up on the bench?  Good luck to all in your challenges!

Fifth day of 5x5 went well.  Squats are getting more challenging, but looking at my videos, I feel like I am getting depth and staying vertical.  Finally got a video uploaded to youtube, and I will post soon.  Rows got more difficult at 75lbs, and I couldn't touch my chest on all reps.  Should I drop back to 70 or stay at 75 until I can do all reps correctly?  Felt like I was curling the bar at the top of the last reps.  Bench is still really easy at 55lbs.  I was benching 70 lb dumbbells before I started.  Feel like I should move up on the bench?  Good luck to all in your challenges!

Glad to hear that it is going well - I'm not sure what the official stance is on rows, but I'm having the same problem and decided to deload and only progress if I get the full rep all the way to the chest.

I think you would be ok increasing your bench - maybe a hop to 95? That would still be far below your combined total doing dumbbells, but wouldn't be too far off from getting challenging... as long as you are at >60% of your max you will be gaining strength, and there's really no hurry to stall - slow and steady, and all that.

Level 2 Cyborg Warrior: [ STR 4 | STA 1 | CON 3 | DEX 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 1 ]         Myfitnesspal: physixer   

"Once you've got a task to do, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it." - Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself

It is by the protein of whey that I acquire gainz, the muscles acquire DOMS, the DOMS becomes a warning.

I understand the struggle with having patience with children, and I only have two at home (my oldest is living with my parents right now).  I love your idea of taking your kids for a walk.  Not only is it good for you, and them, physically, you're making memories, and I think that's the biggest thing. 

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

I heard the phrase "dad o'clock" on the radio today and thought it was cute and appropriate.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Okay, my 2-week pre-challenge is over.  I was skeptical about being able to give up cardio, and I am only walking or playing disc golf on off days now.  Wasn't sure that I could continue to maintain weight loss without it and only working out three days a week doing 5x5.  I am eating very good on paleo.  I am never really hungry and I am eating stuff I enjoy, so that is a plus.  I lost 3 lbs last week and two more this week!  Woot!  I would love to lose another 15 lbs during this challenge, but I would even settle for 10-12 because I am feeling great, eating great, and getting stronger.  My seventh workout day of 5x5 is today, and I am excited to see what I can do. 

• Like 1

Woot!  I would love to lose another 15 lbs during this challenge, but I would even settle for 10-12 because I am feeling great, eating great, and getting stronger.

That's what it's all about. Glad to hear you are doing so well with it!

Looks like you're starting off strong.  For the side goal with being a more patient dad, it's hard to quantify, but then again, some things in life can't be measured.  If you can, try and keep a little journal or spreadsheet or something handy, so you can sum up the day on that goal in a few words or sentences, as long as it's on your mind and you're actively working towards being more patient or being mindful of that patience, then you'll be fine :)

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

Thanks, guys.  My son#2, Jaquan, dropped his dinner plate in the floor before he got to the table lsat night.  I handled it much better than I might have before.  +1  :redface-new:

Well done, sir!  I know I gotta watch my "snaps" myself.  My wife is pretty good about giving me a heads up after the fact so I can eat humble pie and apologize to my kiddos and not just a "I'm sorry" cop out, but an "I apologize for snapping at you, that was wrong, will you forgive me."  I've noticed that makes a big difference on both sides when I do the later.

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

my youngest son got suspended last challenge... I was super mad... SUPER mad (because he did something utterly stupid that could have resulted in his getting expelled and/or having charges pressed against him.... SIGH)

anyways... I held my breath and looked at him and was ready to explode... and I said "you know what I am going to have a time out and go run and you will sit on this bench and write me a debriefing about your decisions and why you acted like you did" and I went and ran... when I got back to his bench I was able to calmly talk to him about his actions and everything.... later when we were talking about it again I asked him what was the first thing I did before I reacted... he said "oooohhhhhh you stopped and thought about it maybe I should do that more often"

long long story to say... pausing and taking a breath can be the best lesson you teach your kids... they learn best by watching you :) and your kids are going to learn amazing things from you :D 

Spoiler

Thanks, guys.  My son#2, Jaquan, dropped his dinner plate in the floor before he got to the table lsat night.  I handled it much better than I might have before.  +1  :redface-new:

That's awesome. I firmly believe that the best thing you can do for your family is to take care of yourself really well, because that is when you'll be able to be your best for them.

That is my problem.  Most of the time I don't stop to take a breath.  I lose it instead.  I work in a high stress job, 6th grade public school teacher, and I keep my cool all day with them.  Then I come home and lose it.  I hate that.  I have 6 children at home, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 11, so it is really hard sometimes to keep my head on straight.  I want to do better.  Thanks for the words of encouragement. 

So, three and a half days in and doing well.  Trying not to eat much after 8pm, but have done it almost every night for the last week and a half.  Thankfully, it is not my "old" late night eating!  Last week it was almond butter, or natural almonds and goat cheese.  The last two nights it has been roasted sunflower seeds (without the shells).  I just don't want to mess up my deficit on unplanned eating.  I have been pretty good about only eating whatever I have planned to eat each day.  5x5 is going great!  Up to workout 9 tomorrow.  Hip flexors are tight on my squats, and I am still trying to get better on my form.  However, I KNOW that this workout is going to make me the warrior I have never been.  Lastly, I would like to share a quote that I borrowed from El Exorcisto: 

For the most part, our generation has become a bunch of whiney, lazy, entitled pussies.

People have lost their warrior spirit, their dedication, and their willingness to strive.

-Nate Miyaki

Other than the questionable language, :redface-new: , I totally agree.  I will become the warrior I have never been!!

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines