Knightwatch

^ second that

This song also sprang to mind reading your challenge:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7f_HsjpSVaI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7f_HsjpSVaI

So go forth and start becoming the badass you've always wanted to be

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

^ second that

This song also sprang to mind reading your challenge:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7f_HsjpSVaI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7f_HsjpSVaI

So go forth and start becoming the badass you've always wanted to be

I'm not sure whether this makes me want to be a badass, or bring dancing back to my repressive farm town via a senior prom!

...not that these things have to be mutually exclusive, of course...

:D

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Went in today and just practiced some power cleans. I can't seem to get my hips to full extension. Years into this kind of training, I gotta be honest, I'm really letting myself down. Waffling between inspiration, because this challenge will be all shot getting better and more athletic, and generally being disgusted with myself.

Oh well. One foot in front of the other.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

Went in today and just practiced some power cleans. I can't seem to get my hips to full extension. Years into this kind of training, I gotta be honest, I'm really letting myself down. Waffling between inspiration, because this challenge will be all shot getting better and more athletic, and generally being disgusted with myself.

Oh well. One foot in front of the other.

Don't get too down on yourself. You got this. I'm no expert in lifting, but I know that YOU know what you're doing and how to get where you need to with those power cleans. Keep working on it and like you said "one foot in front of the other." *hug*

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

^ this.

"From your darkest hour" and all that.

Lever 3 Survivor - STR:5/DEX:2,75/STA:6/CON:3,5/WIS:3/CHA:1

Challenges: 1 | 2

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Robert Heinlein

There was a time when I was filled with…I dunno, with the excitement of potential.  The world was wide open, I was just getting started in it, and I could live a heroic lifestyle, helping others and making change, squeezing the most out of every day.

Somewhere along the way I lost track of all that, and stopped living a good story.  Started avoiding discomfort and conflict and challenges, and embraced mediocrity. 

Batman Year One was a classic origin tale that influenced a lot of other books.  Lots of heroes started getting a Year One, retelling their first stories as crimestoppers or whatever.  But let’s face it, I’m not even ready for a year one. 

I need the story that sets me up for Year One. 

I need an Issue Zero.

So this journey will take a long time.  Next many Challenges.  And there will be a lot of different side quests and themes along the way, for as many different heroic archtypes that speak to me.  There will be secret agent challenges, there will be superhero challenges, there will be zombie apocalypse challenges, there will be all that good stuff, where I learn new skillsets or embrace new experiences.

But the constant will be forging a heroic life.  There will be strides to achieve a proper superhero body, the never quit attitude and self-sufficiency of an agent gone rogue, the inquisitive mind and adventurous spirit of the charming explorer. 

Here we go.  Knightwatch: Year Zero.

DUDE! Sorry to be late to the thread... I thought I smelled a little Don Miller when I saw language about "living a good story" - it's been a huge part of my thinking ever since I read "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" - and now I even made a "follow" thread in Google+ of "People living a Good Story" - so I guess I better follow your threads!

So cool. Year Zero

Rebel - Hunter - Trader - Renewing the body and mind to be as capable as possible - lean & strength

Welp, starting weight and belleh measurements have been taken, and pics snapped.  Oooooof.  Even worse than anticipated.  But hey, that just gives me a lot of room to get a running start, hahaha.  My plan is to repeat this process each Sunday.

So, the plan itself.

Lifting will be done 3-4 days a week, based on my availability.  First couple weeks will likely tend towards thrice, since I have to teach self-defense classes out of state twice a week for four or five sessions starting this Tuesday, post-work.  So those days will be almost entirely gobbled up.  Each lifting session will consist of a main lift (squat, press variant  deadlift, and bench variant), and either some assistance lifts + conditioning (usually in the form of a bb or sandbag complex, KB swings, rowing, skipping rope, heavy bag, or burpees), or a CrossFit WOD.

Pushups and chins will be done with frequency methods and ladder sets, both at the gym and at home.  There will also be practice in the gym of other bw movements, like ring dips and handstand pushups.  I'm also going to make a concentrated effort to break up sitting spells at work, and do more walking and stairs in my day-to-day.  Also, some sort of maintenance work on my body in the evenings.

Diet.  Diet's the big one.  I'm gonna embrace the whole high-protein, high-fat, lowish carb route.  It's nor really paleo or primal, but the majority of my meals will probably look that way.  I wonder if the high fat is as good of an idea with a guy already carrying around so much excess bodyfat, but we'll see how this works.  Also planning a 5/2 style IF protocol, but maybe with a chat day as well.  If the cheat day is introduced though, it wont be for the first couple weeks.

OK, hope everyone's enjoying thier day before the official Challenge start.  Can't wait to see how you all progress!

:)

• Like 1

Thankfully, it's not hard to be low carb. Jameson/Jack is zero carb. 

The first few weeks of IF are tough... the first few weeks of low carb are tough. Here's to you for brute forcing your way through them both at the same time. 

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

It's hard to be paleo when you love your jack and beer so much!!! :)

Good luck sir.

And donuts.   :tongue:

Thankfully, it's not hard to be low carb. Jameson/Jack is zero carb. 

The first few weeks of IF are tough... the first few weeks of low carb are tough. Here's to you for brute forcing your way through them both at the same time. 

I'm probably not gonna be hitting what most people think of as "low carb", let alone the craziness of keto and such.  Just much lower carbs than I consume now, which to be honest, mostly comes in the form of junk food that's not really a part of ANY diet protocol!   :tongue:

As for the IF thing, I used to do the weekly 24 hour fast with some success, and may return to it.  What I'm starting with will have me eating two 400ish calorie meals, 12 hours apart.  I was just shocked to learn that my standard breakfast is only about that many calories!  It could well be that I'm undereating the good stuff.

Looks like a good plan! And yeah, paleo can get tricky (I really love my greek yogurt!)

Me too!  Yeah, I'll never be truly paleo, but I certainly can embrace a basis of meat and veggies.   :)

STEAK ROAR! Haha yeah I really enjoy those, a whole lot! I think I'm going to be looking more at paleo/primal crockpot stuff this challenge, because who actually has the time to cook stuff?

Right??

So as I think about my schedule the next few days (man, why do I always have a killer workweek when these things start!?!), I may switch up my IFing a bit.  Probably won't get home till like 10pm at the earliest tomorrow night, so food prep for the next day is gonna be all the more grueling, especially if I have to also cook something up to break my fast.

So, thinking I'll just start a 24 hour one mid-morning tomorrow.  I'll eat my standard breakfast, bring something to nom on again at like 10am, and then just fast untill mid-morning the next day.  This will allow to to hit the rack right after I get in tomorrow night, sleep a wee bit later due to not having to cook breakfast, and still start eating early enough in the day Wednesday to be primed to hit the weights in the evening.

Probably do something somewhat similar Thursday, when I have to go to New Hampshire to teach yet another self defense class.  In that case, though, it'll be an easier to manage 16-ish hour fast, from Thursday afternoon to breakfast Friday.

Anyway, gonna hit a late lunch with my folks in just a few, as they're driving through town today, and hitting a squat workout later!  Updates to come!

Hope everyone's having a  great (official) day one!   :)

Soooooooo Day One.

EATING

Breakfast: 2 strips of thick cut bacon and 3 eggs fried in some butter.

Snack: protein shake mixed with water.

Lunch: lunch portion of steak tips and crab-stuffed shrimp, mashed sweet potatoes (only ate about half) and mixed veggies.  one Guinness (I was meeting my folks at a restaurant, but they had an emergency and had to cancel last minute, so I decided to just stay there and sit at the bar to eat by myself) 

Pre-Workout: bulletproof coffee.  Because I was wicked effing sleepy, yo.

Dinner/Post-Workout: moar steak tips, grilled tomato and broccoli.

I've also had a gallon or more of water today.

TRAINING

WARMUP

2 rounds of:

* 10 pushups

* 10 squats

SQUAT

45 x 5

95 x 4

135 x 3

185 x 2

240 x 5

273 x 3

300 x max (got 3.  ugh.)

I've totally lost my squat, yo.  I gotta get this back on track.  I'm thinking twice a week, straight LP.  Wendler works for me on some lifts, but not others for some reason.

PULLUPS

3 ladder sets, each going 1 -> 3 reps.

*supersetted with*

DIPS

6 reps

7 reps

8 reps

So, did a deadhang pullup, rested a second, did 2, rested a second, did 3, rested a minute and then did a set of dips.  Repeat three times.

RESERVE FLYES

30's x 8

30's x 8

*supersetted with*

HAMMER CURLS

30's x 10

30's x 10

CONDITIONING

just a single 500m sprint on the erg, to set a baseline.  Gonna do that a couple times a week, and then slowly add in additional sets with a 1:1 work/rest ratio.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines