metal_weaver's gettin' her RAWAUGUAWR on

metal_weaver

HELLO WARRIORS!!

Hi. ^_^ The name's Joy, but I've been known to go by MW, Weaver, or Fy. I've been with NF for almost a year and have collected plenty of underpants (eeuw). I've challenged with the Adventurers multiple times with mixed results because I never really dedicated myself to making a change, or if I did, it was short-lived and didn't stick.
I made the decision over the last couple days to commit myself to the Warriors because I did/do really enjoy lifting, so here I am!

Current sitch in a nutshell: I'm 290ish lbs; 30 yrs old; career mom of 3 sons; married to an overweight (and seemingly content about it) man; in co-habitation with my in-laws w/ little to no control over family dinners; have paid access to a 24/7 gym w/ free-weight section.

------------------------------------------

EDIT: Challenge Goals HERE.

------------------------------------------

I haven't completely figured out my goals yet (I feel a post edit coming on...) but here's the general idea:

1) lift the heavy things consistently (Steve's Barbell Battalion 6wk plan of awesomesauce modified to use bent-over dumbbell rows instead of pull-ups) to get strong. Track my progress & post it. Record my 1-rep-max pre-challenge and post-challenge for my squat, deadlift & push-press. Embrace my inner Wookiee and get beastly-strong.

2) eat clean as much as possible to get lean & lose this fugly fat. (essentially, eat only veg & meat when I'm dining on my own [for breakfast and lunch] and minimize the damage at dinnertime when eating Ramona's dinners) I've got a lot of fat to lose... popping snickers from the boys' Halloween stash isn't going to get me there. >_<

3) simply put: shun processed sugar. Cut it out. Go through withdraws and get it out of my system. Period. Gotta tackle this addiction ferociously and kick it to the curb. My life depends on it.

4) I'm thinking a sleep goal? Ideas?

REWARDS:
1) +3 STR, +1 STA, +1 CON
2) +3 INT, +1 WIS
3) +2 WIS, +1 CON & +1 STA
4) ???
Upon completion of this challenge, I will gain a level (yay!) AND I will give myself the OK to buy a pair of jeans.

Motivation: My dad lost 50+ lbs by changing his diet and walking on a treadmill after he had a heart attack last year. He's 61. What in the heck is my excuse?! Just like he's being a good example to me, I need to start being a better example to MY kids... otherwise they'll end up like I am now.

I will post measurements and starting references when I get them.
Thanks for reading & best wishes on your challenge!

I know you're gonna do fine and you're right, you have no excuse, Sis ;)

You'll be able to do this, just take it in small bites and keep in mind the true goal here.  It's not to complete a challenge, it's to get healthier and to help your kids by setting a good example.

Let's do this!

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

Regarding your proposed goals:

1. Lifting 3-4 times per week and tracking it in a notebook and reporting it here is a good plan.

2. Eating lots of protein and vegetables is a good plan.  Focusing on nutrient-dense foods like eggs, meat, and vegetables is great.

3. During the last challenge, I handled minimizing processed sugars (and processed foods in general) by combining a calorie budget with a protein goal.  This meant I needed to prioritize my calories to be able to still reach my protein totals each day.  It made it a lot easier to pass up the treats since I knew I had more important things to spend my daily calories on.

4. I had a goal to sleep 8 hours per 24 during the last challenge, knowing we had a baby due in the middle.  Probably the best goal I have had, forcing me to weed out unproductive activities in the evening and morning, and often make time in the afternoon for a quick nap to catch up.  Of course I did not get to 100%, but I was a lot healthier (and more pleasant to be around I am sure). 

Good luck this challenge.  There are a lot of great people supporting you.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

A big change is just a series of small changes added together. Good luck on your goals, it will be worth it!

Level 2 Cyborg Warrior: [ STR 4 | STA 1 | CON 3 | DEX 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 1 ]         Myfitnesspal: physixer   

Challenge 1: I will do SCIENCE to it!

Challenge 2: Experimental Upgrades MK.I

"Once you've got a task to do, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it." - Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself

It is by will alone I set the weights in motion.

It is by the protein of whey that I acquire gainz, the muscles acquire DOMS, the DOMS becomes a warning.

I know you're gonna do fine and you're right, you have no excuse, Sis ;)

You'll be able to do this, just take it in small bites and keep in mind the true goal here.  It's not to complete a challenge, it's to get healthier and to help your kids by setting a good example.

Let's do this!

*hugs* Thanks Bro!! And you're right, it's not all about finishing a challenge... rather finishing the painful period that happens when you're just about to break a bad habit and it feels like you're leaving a good friend, when in reality it's clawing desperately for a hold in your life with it's nasty teeth bared, hissing and spitting at you as you shun the demon and face the light of freedom. o_o' 

One step/bite/choice at a time. We can do this!

Regarding your proposed goals:

1. Lifting 3-4 times per week and tracking it in a notebook and reporting it here is a good plan.

2. Eating lots of protein and vegetables is a good plan.  Focusing on nutrient-dense foods like eggs, meat, and vegetables is great.

3. During the last challenge, I handled minimizing processed sugars (and processed foods in general) by combining a calorie budget with a protein goal.  This meant I needed to prioritize my calories to be able to still reach my protein totals each day.  It made it a lot easier to pass up the treats since I knew I had more important things to spend my daily calories on.

4. I had a goal to sleep 8 hours per 24 during the last challenge, knowing we had a baby due in the middle.  Probably the best goal I have had, forcing me to weed out unproductive activities in the evening and morning, and often make time in the afternoon for a quick nap to catch up.  Of course I did not get to 100%, but I was a lot healthier (and more pleasant to be around I am sure). 

Good luck this challenge.  There are a lot of great people supporting you.

^_^ Thanks for the breakdown and for the advice in #3. I never thought of planning what calories I'm going to eat. That makes so much more sense than on-the-spot decisions (which as I'm sure you know often lead to bad choices). And yeah, I did a sleep goal once and I LOVED the results, but alas, fell back into disrepair because I gave up on it.

A big change is just a series of small changes added together. Good luck on your goals, it will be worth it!

I like that mentality. :) Thanks for the perspective and the encouragement!

quick jot from this morning: I said "no" to the kids' cereal and instead whipped up a 3-egg "omelet" in the microwave and put some white corn & black bean salsa ontop of it. Was all right. The salsa didn't really compliment the eggs. Oh well... I still love me some eggses! Next time, regular salsa. ;) BUT I MADE A BETTER DECISION!!! Right in the FACE of the cereal! Take THAT cereal! ^_^

Great job on the decision, yeah I'm not a fan of corn/black bean salsa either.  Definitely go with regular salsa or some seasonings in the eggies next time. ;)

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

OK! Going to "talk" my thoughts out here so I can work through this calorie budgeting thing... that way in case I'm doing it wrong, someone can smack me upside the head and help teach me how to do it right. XD  I'm a math geek so this is going to be fun. :D

1) How many calories do I need / want to consume in a day? 2,014

-- using the English formula for women of (655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds [290]) + ( 4.7 x height in inches [68]) - ( 4.7 x age in years [30])) I can determine that my base metabolic rate is 2,095; that means I burn just under 2.1k calories just existing right now. Cool. Daily Caloric Need is then 1.2 * my BMR, so 2,514. Deduct 500 calories/day for a diet-based deficit and I'm at 2,014.

2) How many calories are in an x sized portion of y? This is the part that I need to look into as I build my menu... cause I really don't know the answer to this!

-- did you know (yay Google!) there are 72 calories in a 50g egg. Mmmm.... eggs!

Oh this is going to be fun!! :D Like building a team for Mage Knight!!

Wait... ok if... hey. :/ So eating a 3 egg omelet with an ENTIRE pepper and an ENTIRE onion AND salsa is only like 300 cal (including the oil to cook it in). How... in the heck... am I supposed to eat Paleo-esque AND get in 2k calories?!

Yup, Joy just had a lightbulb moment that's blowing her mind. Wow.

Well, that's the thing, you don't need to worry about hitting that limit.  The point is really to be aware of what you are eating and breakfast is usually the easiest to NOT go over, it's all the other meals that will sneak up on you.

Well, that's the thing, you don't need to worry about hitting that limit.  The point is really to be aware of what you are eating and breakfast is usually the easiest to NOT go over, it's all the other meals that will sneak up on you.

point taken. And the silly in me says "well what if I have 'breakfast' for lunch, too?!" which I know I can. I love breakfast foods any time of the day.

Dinner's going to be the one that I'll really have to watch, I'm sure of it.

I use myfitnesspal to help track calories in foods.  There are others, but this one had a free app for the phone. 

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

point taken. And the silly in me says "well what if I have 'breakfast' for lunch, too?!" which I know I can. I love breakfast foods any time of the day.

Dinner's going to be the one that I'll really have to watch, I'm sure of it.

Yep, and actually for what I know of your living situation and the fact that you don't get a say in dinner meals, I'd suggest doing just that... eat great (and breakfast x2 sometimes) in anticipation of hedging off whatever Dinner throws your way.

I use myfitnesspal to help track calories in foods.  There are others, but this one had a free app for the phone. 

+1  I'm actually pleased with that app and free is the only way to go :D

Welcome the Warriors MW! Good luck firming up your goals and hitting them.

Wait... ok if... hey. :/ So eating a 3 egg omelet with an ENTIRE pepper and an ENTIRE onion AND salsa is only like 300 cal (including the oil to cook it in). How... in the heck... am I supposed to eat Paleo-esque AND get in 2k calories?!

Yup, Joy just had a lightbulb moment that's blowing her mind. Wow.

That's the beauty of paleo. You will probably be full before hitting your calories... Hell I rarely count calories if I am sticking the right kinds of foods.

I found my log-in and am back on it. Tracked yesterday's foods even. ^_^  (user name: metal_weaver)

Yep, and actually for what I know of your living situation and the fact that you don't get a say in dinner meals, I'd suggest doing just that... eat great (and breakfast x2 sometimes) in anticipation of hedging off whatever Dinner throws your way.

+1  I'm actually pleased with that app and free is the only way to go :D

yeah, free is good.

Welcome the Warriors MW! Good luck firming up your goals and hitting them.

That's the beauty of paleo. You will probably be full before hitting your calories... Hell I rarely count calories if I am sticking the right kinds of foods.

Thanks Wovercast! And yeah, I'm noticing that the more I look at the caloric value of things. Wow.  I'm still going to track-ish my calories, because I need to really dedicate myself to learning WHAT I'm putting into my body. Especially if I really want to see the results of lifting. Having a rock-solid structure is all fine and good... unless you can't see it cause it's covered in flubber. :tongue:

Oh, and your avatar makes me want to buy a tractor tire and go to town on it in my backyard. Flip it, drag it, pound on it... etc. Maybe I'll have to see how much they charge for one.

---

Welp, I'm on My Fitness Pal - user: metal_weaver (big shock, I know!).

I realized last night, too, that I'm plotting this challenge out like the old format. Need to update that. (nobody plays 3.5 anymore... get with the program kid! 4.0 is where it's at now. >_<)

All things considered, I'm feel pretty good about this challenge. Now I just gotta figure out the logistics of WHEN I'm going to be going to the gym. And then DO IT. >_>  The IRON, it calls to me...!

Oh, and your avatar makes me want to buy a tractor tire and go to town on it in my backyard. Flip it, drag it, pound on it... etc. Maybe I'll have to see how much they charge for one.

I have a collection of tires ranging from 100 lbs to 500+ lbs at my house. I got them all for free at a farmers co-op nearby. They have to pay to dispose of old tires, so they are happy to give them away.

I have a collection of tires ranging from 100 lbs to 500+ lbs at my house. I got them all for free at a farmers co-op nearby. They have to pay to dispose of old tires, so they are happy to give them away.

o___o   ... I can't say I've ever been jealous of another person's "junk", but I am now.  I will have to look into that. We have a feed store not too far away (yay Wisconsin!) and I bet they might have something I could pick up relatively cheap. Great idea! Thanks!! ^_^

I realized last night, too, that I'm plotting this challenge out like the old format. Need to update that. (nobody plays 3.5 anymore... get with the program kid! 4.0 is where it's at now. >_<)

Kids these days with their healing surges and daily powers... 3.5 FOREVER!

• Like 1

Level 2 Cyborg Warrior: [ STR 4 | STA 1 | CON 3 | DEX 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 1 ]         Myfitnesspal: physixer   

Challenge 1: I will do SCIENCE to it!

Challenge 2: Experimental Upgrades MK.I

"Once you've got a task to do, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it." - Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself

It is by the protein of whey that I acquire gainz, the muscles acquire DOMS, the DOMS becomes a warning.

Ugh the weekend of sickness! I went home early from work on Friday and took a 3hr nap. So needed. The rest of the weekend was busy doing not-planned things. Like taking the rambunctious boys on Saturday to McD's to socialize with other rambunctious juiced-up kids at the Playland. And throwing ourselves a pizza party after Church on Sunday cause all three of my kiddos achieved their Book-It goals in October (which is a BIG DEAL! :D). And me laying on my bed next to the humidifier to help ease my raw nasal passages whilst covered in legs/arms/heads as I was the universal pillow for reading time. It was a good weekend. No real focus other than relaxing. It was great. I do feel a little bit better, but my sinuses and nose are still really tore up.

SO! Here I am on Monday, ready to post my challenge goals that start NAO! That's gonna happen in the next post. ;)

Official Goals for Challenge the N'th

Main Quest: to do the Holy Grail of fitness: a pull-up (cue cheesy choir)

How I'm gonna get there:

1) STRONG LIKE WOOKIEE WARRIOR RAWAUGUAWR!! (+3 STR, +1 STA, +1 CON)

-- Complete the Rebel Strength Guide's Barbell Battalion Rank 1-A

-- I will strength train 3 times per week, following the Barbell Battalion lift and rep/set recommendations.

-- I will be replacing pull-ups with bent over dumbbell rows and will subsequently add in 5 hangs per training session to increase my grip and toughen my hands up.

-- I will warm-up and cool-down every time, else my training for that day will be incomplete.

-- I will report my training sessions on my thread w/in 24 hours of completing them.

-- Granting mercy for injury and sickness, when I complete this goal, I will reward myself with a new pair of jeans!

2) You've got to lose to gain (+2 INT, +1 WIS, +1 CON)

-- Work on getting my body fat DOWN so I can eventually pull UP.

-- Eat strict Paleo from waking until dinner.

-- * This is a pass-or-fail type goal and will be treated as such on a daily basis. I am, however, still human so I will be allowing one slip-up day per week. Goal is 36 out of 42 days.

-- Real-world "prize" to be determined. ^_^

3) No rest for the wicked? I'm a good girl, I am!! (+3 WIS, +1 CON)

-- SLEEP at least 6 hours per night. 6 is OK. 7 is Good. 8 is Great!

-- Track the hours slept in a spreadsheet to keep track of how many hours I get per night, per week, and overall in the challenge.

-- Weekly goal: 45 hours (6.43 avg / night)

-- If I hit 300 hours over the course of this challenge, I will reward myself with a new pair of pajamas and a new pair of slippers!

~~~~~~~

Side Quest: "And the fruit of the spirit is ... Self Control"

-- Exercise self control over my "free food time" (dinner and the rest of the evening @ home)

Background: Ramona is my mother in law. She lives with us (along with my father in law) and graciously watches my kiddos after they get home from school, helps keep the house clean, and cooks dinner 29 days out of the month (on average). She is from a lumberjack family of 11 kids and has been cooking since the age of 9. Her meals are usually delicious, relatively inexpensive and generally based around cheap, processed carbs.

Action Plan: Make Paleo-inspired choices regarding what goes on my plate.

Reward: the good feeling that I get when I make a good health-conscious decision and the pride that comes from knowing I could have had that "tasty" thing, but I chose not to so I can reach my goals quicker.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines