rack pulls

5 x 70

db rows

60lbs x 9, 9

pulldowns.

70lbs x 12 

90lbs x 8

Done.  

So freaking tired....  Oh well, better day tomorrow!  At least I hit my target weight (easily) for rack pulls.  I really like how I can get the shoulder blades tucked up together at the bottom of that motion.  It should help build a foundation for future deadlifting.

Knee Report:  I was stretching the hip flexors multiple times today.  When I sit down they lock up which = knee discomfort and when I stretch them out, it goes away.  Going to keep aggressively working at this.  I have 8 weeks worth of catch up to do on the hip flexors!!  

The food is weird today.  Rather low on carbs which might account for a low energy workout, but I think a terrible night's sleep did not help.

Ah, sorry you weren't feeling your best today YJ. :(

Hope tomorrow is much better and you get lots of rest!

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Lots of stretching, it makes the longer wait times more tolerable!  Feeling weird pulling / pains in the knees while stretching.  It's becoming obvious that increasing flexibility should be my main quest hehehe.

Barbell curls  x 5

70lbs

Good enough.

Cable Pushdowns

20 x 30

40 x 20

50 x 15

60 x 12

incline curls.

30lbs x 12

incline hammer curls

35lbs x 8

Arnold Curls

30 x 12

lying french press  (Skull crushers hurt my elbows)

60 x 12, 12

Close Grip Bench press  (Concentrating on feel)

70lbs x 12, 12

It occurred to me today that I think I damaged my elbows with heavy tricep training years ago.  My triceps could take punishment like crazy back in the day but I noticed today that I avoid heavy poundage and certain exercises without thinking about it.  I also noticed that I spend a lot of time warming the triceps up.  I refuse to do overhead DB extensions with any appreciable sort of weight.  (I won't go over 40lbs even though I could probably lift 3x that)  I don't do skull crushers.  And I avoid starting any tricep exercise from the elbows.  I'll always begin the motion at the shoulders and then begin to involve the elbows.   People can point fingers and call me a cheater for my form but it hasn't seemed to have impeded my tricep development much.

I do, however, suspect it may be the reason that I haven't been able to budge my bench press much over 240lbs the last few years.  Developing sheer tricep strength and shoulder strength would help out massively for pressing huge weight.  The problem is that even my shoulders are kinda gimpy so I have to be judicious in how I approach training.  

On another topic, I think I have hit a plateau with the fat loss.  After a two week layoff I haven't really budged appreciably yet for bodyfat %, at least as far as I can tell.
So, last fall (2012) I was eating high protein / high fat / low carb and after 3 months, my waist had dropped down to 37 inches and I had dropped over 20lbs of bodyfat.  My caloric intake was below 2,000kcal per day and I was miserable the entire time.  

Right now I'm at around / above 2,800 kcal and I've dropped down from 266+lbs to around 250 - 251lbs in over 3 months.  I'm ok with this but I do know that 2,800 is high for a calorie restriction so I'm beginning to consider dropping slowly back to my 2,500kcal target that I had set at the beginning of the first challenge (Sept challenge).  My workouts are not as intense as they were so I don't doubt that I am not burning calories the way I was last challenge.  Also, taking a break from the legs really will cause my fat burning furnace to take a hit.  

I have also been reading about scheduled fasting and extreme short term calorie restrictions.  Does anyone have any experience with this sort of plan?  I'm curious.  

Skipped leg day is done!  so, no workout today and thank goodness my knees are starting to feel better.  Going to keep stretching like a boss and hopefully I can get to the gym next week.  One week off is a small price to pay compared with the alternative if I just pushed through this.  I'll get my delt workout done either tomorrow or Sat!

-yj

I've definitely taken things slowly to avoid injury. I've already had two surgeries to remove parts of my L5-S1 disk that didn't want to stay in place, so I've been very mindful anytime my lower back has complained. That is probably why my squat is only at 215# when I started lifting at the end of February. But so much better to only be at 215# and able to get in the gym to lift tomorrow than to have managed a 300# squat and another herniated disk.

Your wisdom is showing.

• Like 1

Paladin Aspirant

Level 3

STR: 13   DEX: 3  STA: 9  CON: 9.33   WIS: 6.66   CHA: 6

MyFitnessPal

Challenges: First, Second, Third, Fourth

I've definitely taken things slowly to avoid injury. I've already had two surgeries to remove parts of my L5-S1 disk that didn't want to stay in place, so I've been very mindful anytime my lower back has complained. That is probably why my squat is only at 215# when I started lifting at the end of February. But so much better to only be at 215# and able to get in the gym to lift tomorrow than to have managed a 300# squat and another herniated disk.

Your wisdom is showing.

You know, you're a prime candidate for x-reps / TORQ.  You should start thinking about super high rep leg workouts since you can do a lot with pre-fatigue and larger time under tension to build / condition the lower body without moving ridiculous poundages.  Starting with TORQ sets of leg extensions / leg curls and then doing leg press should be a great starter for a leg workout!!  

So, you'd do leg extension:  30 reps, wait 45 seconds, 20 reps, wait 45 seconds, 15 reps.  If you try to get a great contraction at the top, you'll smoke your quads SO FAST!  Do the same with leg curls.

Do a 40 rep and a 30 rep set on leg press.

Then, hit your squats.

You can load up a wheel (Or less) on each side and do 12 reps, raise the weight 5 - 10 lbs, wait 30 seconds, then 10 reps, raise weight, wait 30 seconds, 8 reps, raise weight, wait 30 seconds, then 6 reps.

The benefit here is that you aren't directly loading or working your lower back until squats but by then, your legs have already undergone a blowtorch of stimulation.  You can work in a modest amount of strength specific training but this will keep you from really aggravating the lower back!!  (Just be sure to take reasonable steps to keep strengthening your lower back)

I agree- I commend you again for your discipline. Thanks for sharing the victories and the challenges- and the food! Maybe more food? How much do you change things up? Do you usually eat with the family or do you have to eat your own food?

I sometimes eat with the fam!  I don't eat as much variety as I should mainly because I'm so overwhelmed with little details in my life.  I like to focus on one thing at once obsessively so all these little things make me feel like my brain is about to split apart!!  

I can make a lot of food but because of my wife's hot pepper allergy, a lot of the food I do like I can't make.  It really sucks.  I'll post something else if I think of it haha!!  

Shoulder workout yesterday.

Standing Push Press:

70lbs x 12

80lbs x 10

90 x 8

100 x 6

Right shoulder was uncomfortable but felt better when I warmed up.

Laterals
15lbs x 8, 8
Bentover laterals

15 x 10 20 x 8

One arm dumbbell press.

25lbs x 20

30lbs x 15

rotator cuffs.
standing and lying L flyes  5lbs x 20 reps

So good workout. Shoulders are feeling better.  Diet was a little loose yesterday but we're back  in business today.

Good job on the workout! And I am glad the shoulder are better, plus a big YAY on getting back on track with the diet! :encouragement:

Hope that Monday is awesome and a great start to week 3!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

Diet was pretty good yesterday.  Higher in protein and fat than usual and lower in calories overall.  I'm going to start dialing back a bit with my energy consumption.  Down to c.a. 2,600kcal per day this week and then I'll hold at 2,500 for awhile.  I also plan to get going on legs again this week.  Going to go to the gym and do a program that is focused on low rest time / high reps / low weight.   I'll start with isolation exercises and go light on leg press.  

Also, I've been getting to bed MUCH too late lately.  It was unwise not to make that a challenge requirement this time around.  The goal for the rest of this week is to get to sleep before 1 am each night.  

Monday Chest Day.

INCLINE BB PRESS

Warmup

130lbs x 12

150lbs x 10

170lbs x 8

Still pretty easy but the shoulder feels good.

DB press

60 x 10,10,10

Flyes

35 x 9, 9, 10.

Nutrition.  Oats and Eggs breakfast.

Postworkout recovery shake.

http://www.workoutplan.com/7-myths-about-diet-and-exercise-which-you-probably-still-believe/6/

This is crap btw.

The REASON why stretching is good is to combat adaptive shortening of muscles and to maintain a full range of motion.  I didn't stretch for years because of BS advice like this.

The internet is absolutely innundated with total horseshit.

There is good stuff out there in the ether....but 99% of what you find is total junk.

I spend a good 15 minutes doing super light reps, acclimation sets, mild stretching and light accessory work before I do my first working set.

When its not freezing in the gym...I generally have a mild sweat going before I get to that first set.

The last time I cut it short, I ended up with the elbow strain that I have had since May now! :mad-new:

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back day.

rack pulls

5x:

250lbs

Felt good.

straight arm pulldowns

20lbs x 10

40lbs x 10

Pulldowns

70lbs x 12

90lbs x 12.  Focus on flexing / squeezing lats throughout.

Cable Rows

90lbs x 12

90lbs x 12

DB shrugs

60lbs x 10, 10

45 second plank.

I'm stretching in between my sets still, especially focusing on the hip flexors.  I got to bed shortly after 1am.  I'm still tired but better than before.  Nutrition is going ok but I'm finding the calorie restriction annoying already  =-(  

Yay for the workout and being less tired!! :triumphant: 

Sorry about the calorie restriction being annoying. :(

Have an awesome Wednesday YJ!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Yes, I hate 2,600 and I can't imagine how annoyed I will be with 2,500.  But I gotta try it.

I'm going to try and get in bed before 1am  (Ya, baby steps) the rest of the week!  

Knees are feeling better overall; Rest and stretching hip flexors seems to help.  

So glad the knees and hip flexors are doing better! And yeah, caloric deficits can be tough. (nodding)

Now, I don't expect to see any 1 am posts YJ! lol ;)

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

It's 12:05am right now.  So ya, I'm going to play some games and get to sleep!  Busy weeks coming up.  My wife and I are planning a christmas concert and finding precious rehearsal time right now is exceedingly difficult.  I'll keep you guys posted on how many craft sales we do next year.  Not losing money on our first time out is a pretty awesome accomplishment.  Now, I wish we could make half of what my wife's parents are making.  They cleaned up, BOY did they clean up!!!!  

The internet is absolutely innundated with total horseshit.

There is good stuff out there in the ether....but 99% of what you find is total junk.

I spend a good 15 minutes doing super light reps, acclimation sets, mild stretching and light accessory work before I do my first working set.

When its not freezing in the gym...I generally have a mild sweat going before I get to that first set.

The last time I cut it short, I ended up with the elbow strain that I have had since May now! :mad-new:

No kidding.  As the body gets older, we have to be more gentle.  It takes more time to bounce back from those pings and overuse injuries so as usual, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  I hope all this foundational work helps me hit my deadlift goal.  I don't know that I'll want to exceed any of my life goal numbers after I accomplish them.  I just don't want my body to fall apart when I'm 50 or 60  =-(  

Good man! :encouragement:

Awesome on the Christmas concert! If you get video you should post it! And will enjoy hearing about the craft shows. You are right that it was really good that you did so well the first time. (nodding) Do the wife's parents do the same crafting?

Have a good night YJ!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Ugh, feeling worn out at the end of term.

Arm workout.

Barbell Curls:

70 lbs x 5

90lbs x 5

110lbs x 6

125lbs x 5.

What is surprising to me is how much STRONGER my biceps have gotten since TORQ.  I had problems with my left forarm because of the injury (Fall 2010) but the high rep low rest TUT stuff has increased the overall size of the muscle through sarcoplasmic AND myofibril(sp?) hypertrophy because man, the weight has gone up.  For about a year I did not do barbell curls over 90lbs or so, usually doing sets of 12 with 60lbs.  Now I'm back up near my strongest ever on curls.  My left forearm is still somewhat of a limiting factor so I am not going to push the weight up anymore but I am very pleased with the results so far.  

Arnold Curls.

35lbs x 10RL

40lbs x 8RL

40lbs x 8RL

Cable Pushdowns.
20lbs x 20

40lbs x 21

50lbs x 16

60lbs x 10

French Press

60lbs x 12, 12.

hammer curls.

20lbs x 20

close grip bench press.  I'm finding that it is much easier on the shoulders just pushing from the chest like with any sort of pressing movement.  For whatever reason, activating the chest takes a lot of strain off of the shoulders and it still torches the triceps, especially following all the isolation work.  

75lbs x 12, 12, 12.

done.

Diet is locked in today.  Interesting breakfast though:

4 eggs

spot of butter

chopped onions

small slice of cheese

1/2 can refried beens

bowl of raspberries.

snack

1/4 cup almonds

banana

post workout shake

2 scoops Whey Protein+

3 tablespoons Cocoa

1 tbsp Honey.

Awesome work YJ! :encouragement:

Your doing fantastic!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Happy Thanksgiving YJ!!!  :)

Hope it is awesome!!!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

HAHAHAHA, you 'mericans are always late to the party!!  (In Canaduh Thanksgiving has come and gone)

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone from the US of A!!

Ugh, feeling worn out at the end of term.

Arm workout.

Barbell Curls:

70 lbs x 5

90lbs x 5

110lbs x 6

125lbs x 5.

What is surprising to me is how much STRONGER my biceps have gotten since TORQ.  I had problems with my left forarm because of the injury (Fall 2010) but the high rep low rest TUT stuff has increased the overall size of the muscle through sarcoplasmic AND myofibril(sp?) hypertrophy because man, the weight has gone up.  For about a year I did not do barbell curls over 90lbs or so, usually doing sets of 12 with 60lbs.  Now I'm back up near my strongest ever on curls.  My left forearm is still somewhat of a limiting factor so I am not going to push the weight up anymore but I am very pleased with the results so far.  

Arnold Curls.

35lbs x 10RL

40lbs x 8RL

40lbs x 8RL

Cable Pushdowns.

20lbs x 20

40lbs x 21

50lbs x 16

60lbs x 10

French Press

60lbs x 12, 12.

hammer curls.

20lbs x 20

close grip bench press.  I'm finding that it is much easier on the shoulders just pushing from the chest like with any sort of pressing movement.  For whatever reason, activating the chest takes a lot of strain off of the shoulders and it still torches the triceps, especially following all the isolation work.  

75lbs x 12, 12, 12.

done.

Diet is locked in today.  Interesting breakfast though:

4 eggs

spot of butter

chopped onions

small slice of cheese

1/2 can refried beens

bowl of raspberries.

snack

1/4 cup almonds

banana

post workout shake

2 scoops Whey Protein+

3 tablespoons Cocoa

1 tbsp Honey.

yum! did you eat everything in that breakfast all together? the berries threw me off - was is good?

HAHAHAHA, you 'mericans are always late to the party!!  (In Canaduh Thanksgiving has come and gone)

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone from the US of A!!

whoops! sorry i didn't wish you a good thanksgiving when you had yours! have a great thursday?! :D

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

yum! did you eat everything in that breakfast all together? the berries threw me off - was is good?

whoops! sorry i didn't wish you a good thanksgiving when you had yours! have a great thursday?! :D

AHAHAHAHA!!!!

I didn't cook that all together.  The Eggs / Cheese / Onions was a scrambled egg dish.  The Refried Beans was a side to that, both of which pair exceptionally well.  The Raspberries also taste good, but don't put them on top of the eggs or beans!  They're best in a separate bowl.

OK, I'll try and remember the nutrition for the rest of the day:

I had 8oz of my nacho meat mix with a salad for dinner. So:

6oz chicken breast with a spot of butter.

1/4 cup onions, corn, beans.

It was a garden salad with romaine lettuce, spinach, onions, tomato, cucumber, and mandarin oranges.

Snack of approx 1 cup strawberries.

Tuna and 1/2 cup Pistachios.

almost 1 cup of Peanuts.  Enough to hit my 2,600kcal / 200g protein target.  

So far, the 2,600 kcal per day seems to be working so I'm going to hold my calories here for now.

I'm going to try a couple of things here.  

I have not been scaling down my carbs / calories on non training days.  I've been having Saturday as a cheat day when I don't train that day.  Fridays are hard because I teach so that day specifically requires planning as well.  I think I'll cut carbs / calories on my non training days and once again experiment with a refeed day on my leg day.  This seems to work best.  Hopefully I'll do a bit of light leg work today.  That's the plan at least!!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines