YellowJacket: Long Term Planning.

Yellowjacket

HAHAHAHA, you 'mericans are always late to the party!!  (In Canaduh Thanksgiving has come and gone)

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone from the US of A!!

Noooooo YJ I am well aware that Thanksgiving is in October in Canada because my accountability partner is in Canada.

No, no  THAT was a brain spasm from being up until 6 am with a 2 yr old, smarty man! lol :playful:

And so glad you got a laugh out of it! :tongue:

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

:pirate:  :playful: 

Ok, Leg day today or 'Leg Day' as I like to think of it, since I don't feel like I am REALLY training my lower body without squats.

So, I'm busy right now and my brain feels stuck.  I have a problem with unilateral thinking and when there are piles of things to do, I inevitably get lost in it.

So, home gym leg extensions and curls, and lots of stretching.

Leg Extensions:

10lbs x 10

20lbs x 10

40lbs x 10

40lbs x 20

60lbs x 20.

Feeling not too bad here.  Of course, I expect that tendonitis pain will decrease as I warm up and use the damaged tendon.  No surprise here, we'll see how I feel later.

Leg curls.

40lbs x 10, 6.  The angle of the apparatus makes this exercise more difficult than it needs to be but that is not a bad thing.

Standing calf raises.
Bodyweight x 40 reps.  try this sometime, I really burns!  

Several Hour Later Report:

Knees are still alright.  Not perfect, but alright.  A bit of a dull ache but no  sharp pains at all.  Looks like the 'workout' had the desired effect.

Nutrition for today:

Oats with Cinnamon, Raspberries, 4 eggs and 1/2 tbsp. butter

1/2 cup almonds and a banana

2 scoops whey protein plus with 3 TBSP Cocoa Powder

4oz ground pork and 4oz baked salmon.  Carrots and brussel sprouts

1 can Chunk Lite Tuna  and an avocado

1/2 cup of peanuts in shells.  (probably a bit more)

I only drink water, no juice / milk / coffee / etc.

Yay for the workout doing what it should and the knees being alright!!

I drink water and occasionally coffee, I am a coffee addict, but it can give me stomachaches sometimes. So I don't drink it regularly.

Calf raises burn, yep. I do 3 sets of 15 due to the fact that my quirky right calf muscle wants to seize up on me still. :nightmare:

Have an awesome Friday YJ and hope you're getting in bed on time! ;)

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

247.6lbs today.
I'll keep things dialed in at around 2,600kcal until I plateau again.  Then I'll probably do a week or two with higher calories before dropping them again.  Seems to be working around here.

Chest workout.

Incline BP

140lbs x 12

160lbs x 10

175lbs x 8

DB press

60 x 11

70 x 8

70 x 8

Flyes

40 x 8

40 x 8

My biceps are having trouble with that much weight heh weird.  Maybe I'll drop the weight and do higher reps again?  Shoulder is feeling much better.  Felt almost normal today!  Back is a bit off oh well, take it easy now and train harder later!

Sounds like you are listening to what your body is telling you. (nodding) :encouragement:

Glad the shoulder is better and hope the back follows suit!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Light back workout.

DB rows

20 x 10

40 x 10

60 x 10

pulldowns.

50 x 20

70 x 15

70 x 15

rows.

70 x 20

70 x 20

70 x 20.

I somehow managed to strain my brachioradialis during my chest workout yesterday.  I just took it easy so that I'll heal up.  I'm wondering if I'm pushing it a bit hard for my body with the calorie deficit.  It's piddly stuff but it still slows me down because I don't want to push through it and get a real injury.

you're doing awesome, love the nutrition. I should get more oats in my life. I only have a small bit maybe once/week in an egg white smoothie. i'm glad you're keeping an eye on how your body's reacting and making changes when necessary :)

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Bummer on the strain! :( Hope it gets better soon. Good job on not pushing it to an injury. Be careful YJ!

:encouragement: On the workout!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Arm Day!!!

Barbell Curls.  30 second rest interval

60lbs x 10, 10, 10, 10

Arnold Curls  Short rest interval but I did not count.

25 x 12

30 x 10

35 x 8

40 x 6

Pushdowns.  35 second rest interval.  I tried for 30 seconds but 35 is more appropriate.

50lbs x 12, 55 x 10, 60 x 8, 65 x 6

Close Grip Bench Presses / Dumbbell Kickbacks:   My right shoulder was barely irritated by this.  'Pushing from the triceps' does not work.  I suggest squeezing the chest like any other pressing movement.  I relied on prefatigue to get the triceps involved since it feels better on m shoulders.

10lbs x 8, 8

90lbs x 10

15lbs x 8, 8

90lbs x 10

15lbs x 8, 8

90lbs x 10

Short rest interval but I was not counting.

Nutrition so far,

Oats and Eggs breakfast.

Half a banana, an orange, and 1/4 cup almonds preworkout.

Post workout shake post workout.

yesterday, my protein was too low and I felt hungry.  I was also REALLY tired for some reason and just conked out during the evening.  I feel pretty overloaded with a lot going on and it's difficult to focus on any one thing.  

Big woot on the workout! Bummer that you're feeling overloaded. Hope it will slow down some for you soon.

Sending many wishes that Thursday is better and more rested!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gicPn3nAPQ

Interesting video on dieting.  Thought?

It really doesn't have to be that difficult....that grossly overcomplicates things....

Being mid-20's on bodyfat percentage....you just need to consistently eat a small caloric deficit and you will lean out.

....and on this plan, if you are already lean (10% range), doing a 24-hour fast is simply silly....guaranteed loss of muscle mass....unless you are on "the juice."

Time for less research....and more practice. ;)

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Cello practice?  We have a show now in 1 week!! AAAACCCCCKK!!!!

I'm tempted to try cycling macronutrients and I also hear some people have good results from intermittent fasting.  I think our bodies / metabolisms are all different and respond to nutrition in a different way.  I'm tempted to try something like this for one challenge in the spring sometime and see what happens.  Like in your case, you're more of an ecto - meso, right?  I'm more endo - meso i.e. naturally more chubby.  Not so much as some, but more than others.  My natural blob state is 'skinny-fat'.  Elliott Hulse is an endomorph so his bodytype is different than yours for sure.  Ron Harris prefers high protein and moderate carbs for cutting but he has mentioned that bigger guys i.e. endomorphs do really well eating a high protein and high fat diet.  The thing for me is that each time I try something I learn something else about how my body works, what IS effective and what is NOT effective.  Personally, I am quite carb sensitive with a tendency to become hypoglycemic.  When I lower my calories overall, I find that a caloric restriction is easiest to handle with high fat / high protein although this does not afford much energy for training.
I think I'll keep up with carbs pre-workout.  I find without that, I don't have the energy I need to train.  But I want to experiment more into the future to find out exactly what the 'it' formula is for my body to have the best results with the least effort.  

For now, the pounds keep coming off of the scale but my legs are getting a bit small for my liking.  It's no fun taking a partial layoff from lower body training but it is necessary nonetheless.  I know if I push through it, I'll be paying a much bigger price down the road.  If I let myself recover I'll probably be able to be pushing 100% again not too far in the distant future.  My legs grow fairly quickly so I'm not worried.

My shoulder workout yesterday was interesting.  I did one arm standing DB press for sets of 10 reps from 20lbs up to 40lbs.  Even the 40lbs felt a bit light but, more importantly, the workout felt good.

I did a couple of sets of light laterals and some bent over double DB rows, pulling the weight to the shoulder.  It's a great mod to the exercise, which puts the focus squarely on the rear delts.   Today I've been ::Atkins mode:: all day.  Not a problem since I'm not workout out.   I did shovel a driveway in goodness, is it -16 american?  -26c.  What's that in F?  It was brittle.  BOO!!  I could tell my shoulders were spent because they didn't like the shoveling much.  Got it done anyhow!

Yes, so I was taking it easy with the laterals because I didn't want to tax the forearm extensors.  My left forarm risks getting blown with all the cello practice these days so I'm taking it easy best I can.  It's busy and tiring but I still try and keep the nutrition dialed in.  That is one thing I can control!  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gicPn3nAPQ

Interesting video on dieting.  Thought?

I thought the video was interesting and informative, but I don't think I, personally, would ever do that type of a plan. I prefer to keep myself on a much more even keel since the ups and downs tend to have bad effects on my mind and mood.

I did like his explanations, especially the subjective "it feels like this" kind of explanation for those different phases. Those could be helpful "cues" for coaching oneself on how to eat for your goals.

He referred to that book, Maximum muscle, minimum fat and I'm thinking I'd like to read it.

Wanna start a recomp book club?

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Interesting.  Where would we start a book thread?

I think plans like this one are useful for blasting plateaus.  I've keep these cards up my sleeve along with stunts like high intensity cardio and low intensity cardio.  I'm going to use them later if I need.

Overall report:  I'm tired.  Worn out.  
It's been a crazy semester and at the end of the craft push we've got a concert / coffee house we're putting on this week.  We're trying to find practice time between school work, music planning for other events, arranging, and a 5month old who refuses to sleep.  It leaves little time for **cough** marital activities **cough**let alone practicing singing / guitar / piano / cello.

I've been practicing cello considerably more which means I need to be extra sensitive to my body, and I am quickly being reminded why I quit bodybuilding going into music school in the first place.  I've noticed a bit of pain  (Golfers elbow) so I've just backed off my intensity level overall.

Today I only did bench press for chest and it was good.

Lots of warmup sets.

I think 90lbs x 12, 12

120 x 12

Then

160 x 12

180 x 10

200 x 8

There's more in the tank but that felt pretty good.

NO dumbbell press or flyes so that my brachioradialis doesn't get irritated again.

I missed legs this week but this is a good thing since my knees feel better and better.  I'm going to be really careful working these suckers back in.  I bet in 6 weeks I could build them right back up, no worries.

I think I'm currently going through what Elliot Hulse calls a 'catabolic phase' while I was in an 'anabolic phase' back during my first and second challenge.  I'm going to reign in the volume a bit and drop the intensity slightly.  See what happens.

The most important thing is to keep the diet dialed in.  I'll report on late Sat / Early Sun how the coffee house concert thing goes.

8 minutes and 40 seconds written on my thesis.  I'm perhaps being a bit too vigilant and slow writing this but I think the results will speak for themselves.  I now have a faint hope this piece will actually be performed by an orchestra one day =-/ 

I should mention that the shoulder handled the 'heavy' BP pretty well and my back is feeling better as well.  Also, Brachioradialis is feeling better.  Just minor stuff but probably a product of the prolonged calorie restriction.  

Interesting.  Where would we start a book thread?

I think plans like this one are useful for blasting plateaus.  I've keep these cards up my sleeve along with stunts like high intensity cardio and low intensity cardio.  I'm going to use them later if I need.

There is a book club section in the forums.

It was $11 on amazon so I decided to get a copy. I'll probably read most of it while I'm at home for Christmas.

The guy who wrote it, Ori Hofmekler, is the one who created the warrior diet, but the book seems pretty divorced from that marketing campaign as its not for sale on the warrior diet website. Hopefully its more science than marketing and therefore worth reading.

My copy should arrive by Saturday. I'll let you know.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Good job on the workout! :encouragement: And ugh, I have a 2 yr old who is currently doing the insomniac thing. :nightmare:

Really YJ you should do something about that cough, lol. :playful:

Look forward to hearing how the concert went. ^_^

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Nutrition was great today until I went out for mexican food.  Whenever I get to do that I get seduced by hot peppers.  Oh well, going to have a healthy bedtime snack and hit the hay here shortly!!!  Looks something like this:

Breakfast

3 eggs

1 cup oats

2 tbsp peanut butter

1 tbsp honey

1.3rd cup raspberries

Snack.
Almonds 1/2 cup

mandarin orange

banana

Workout!

2 scoops whey protein plus

8oz steak with 1/2 cup potatoes and a large garden salad with a spot of cheese.

Nachos with super hot salsa, monterey jack cheese, jalapenos, and chicken.  I had half the plate  =-/

I'll probably have some peanuts now before bed and we'll be on track for the rest of the week!!

**Update**

Not a good week.  Stress headaches and more mexican food.

My advisor was visiting from out of town so I took an opportunity to get more hot food.  It was fun but it is making my goals difficult.

Yesterday, I did a simple yet effective back workout.  Short rest intervals.

Cable rows.  4 sets of 10 reps with like 90lbs?  Really focused on the squeeze at the top of the motion.
Cable Pulldowns.  I had to drop the weight halfway through this set.  I really focused on the contraction at the bottom of the motion and it really helped activate the lats.

Then some shrugs.
Not a heavy workout but a really good one nonetheless.  It FELT much harder than it looks.

Today nothing happened workout wise and I had some really crappy food at a party.  I seriously felt my head spin and I had quite the stomach ache.  BOOOOO!!!!!!

Back on track tomorrow and I'm canceling my cheat day.  Don't think I need it.

In other news, I'm pushing myself right to the limit preparing for our concert.  Missing workouts will not create short term problems for me.  I'm thinking of abandoning heavy training for a spell and shifting back to higher reps / shorter rest intervals.  SO.

I had 3 bad 'meals' in 3 days.  One, per day.  EW EW EW EW.  Going to be puffy tomorrow for sure.  This is just a symptom of pushing myself too far and beginning to feel my willpower crumble.

First was half a plate of nachos>
Second was Chilo Con Queso dip with tortillas, a half a chicken quesadilla, and a couple of pieces of mexican pizza.  (No soda, just water)

Third was a bunch of crummy appetizer foodsL

A couple of chicken fingers, about 10 - 12 crackers with some cheese dip, a couple of pizza tart things  (Small) and a few potato chips.  No soda, just water. 
Aside from that, everything has been good so far.  I'm just in need of a break soon.  HOpe this concert goes ok...

Ahhh, sorry on the sucko eating. Just get back on track YJ!

But good job on the workout and best of luck on the concert prep! :encouragement:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Today was better for eating.  I feel better now.

I'm really pushing myself to the limit physically right now and I really don't want to get injured so I'll probably resume training next week.  Should be good.  I'm missing the weight training already but my left forearm is dead tired from practicing so recovery is in order!!

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines