YellowJacket: Long Term Planning.

Yellowjacket

Yay on feeling better! And glad you are being careful so you can get back to your lifting safely!

Take care and have a wonderful weekend YJ!

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

So I couldn't keep out of the gym.  I did a really light shoulder workout with one arm db presses.

I did a light leg workout warming up with leg extensions followed by some light barbell squats.  I stretched the crap out of my hip flexors and really focused on sitting back in the movement.  So far so good, I'll post an update tonight.  If I'm in a lot of pain tomorrow I'll be very sad since I love training legs and I think they're the single most important muscle group for fat loss.

knees feel fine today.  Mildly achy but nothing that is problematic.  Also, my left forearm is still fine, even with all the practice.  More importantly, I said no to bday cake!

Yay for knees and forearms doing good and a BIG YAY on resisting the cake! You Rock YJ! :triumphant:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

The cake was nothing, you should have seen the spoils of the coffeehouse thing tonight!

Cheesecake, Lemoncake, Chocolate Trifle, Cinnamon Buns, Brownies, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Red Sugar Cookies, etc.  

The leftovers are sitting upstairs right now in plain sight and I've having to resist them at every pass.  It's a true battle of wills right now but I did not crack, not even after not eating for like 7 hours.  I RESISTED!

Concert went better than expected.  Made some money!!

Nutrition today was weird.  I had a great breakfast, a protein and some peanut butter pre concert  (Was busy getting everything ready) and I forgot to pack food along.  So I went from like 4 or 5 pm until like 11pm without eating anything.  BOOO!  (It has been like 3 or 4 years since performing classical rep on Cello so I was feeling a few nerves)  

THen I had a mexican style meat mix with some cheese and lettuce, followed by peanut butter.  I'm going to eat something again shortly.

MOst importantly, I really don't feel any sort of injury related pain as a result of this intense practicing.  Things are looking better!!!  

• Like 1

Hats off to you YJ! That is awesome and a true show of self control. Really proud of you! :applause:

And so glad there isn't any pain, Yay!! ^_^

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Hats off to you YJ! That is awesome and a true show of self control. Really proud of you! :applause:

And so glad there isn't any pain, Yay!! ^_^

couldn't have said it better. any words of wisdom to those of us that are lacking your awesome in these troubled food times? (re: holiday foods everywhere)

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Oh gosh.    Words of wisdom huh?

First of all, my own situation is perhaps different from many people's.  I have a problem, once I have one sweet thing I tend to keep eating sweet things and I can't stop.  I understand intellectually that I will always crave more of an addictive food and it won't give me what I want, namely Satiety.  I noticed that when I eat healthy whole foods, I can eat a proper serving size and when I'm done eating I feel full.  So, I have a de facto ban on sweets.  I may have one sweet thing at some point but for the holidays, I am eating healthy food in lieu of sweets.  When I saw the trays of brownies, cinnamon buns, short bread cookies, chocolate trifle, lime cake, and cheesecake; I heated up some left over chili and made up some refried beans mixed with cheese.  It tasted great and when I was finished eating, I felt full which made it much easier to resist the sweets.

A big moment for me was at a house party when I tried a small plate of food just to be nice and I couldn't stop eating the stuff.  I had to endure some physical discomfort as a result and it really turned me off from it.  It didn't even taste that good and it made me feel sick.  I guess I'm lucky. 

Some ideas.  
1)  This is the biggest tip I can think of and also something Steve mentioned.  Reach for the meat and salad first.  Eat as much as you can before you even THINK of having sweets.  If you fill up on healthy foods you'll feel full and less tempted to eat the crap afterwords.  

2) Have your healthy foods prepared in advance.  The biggest temptation to splurge on already prepared foods is not having any alternatives on hand.  Do you spend 40min cooking chicken breast or grab several bites of brownie?  

3)  PUT YOUR FOOD AWAY!  In your own place, your safe zone, having food out is the easiest way to keep snacking.  Out of sight, out of mind.  

4)  Don't be hungry.  If you have small frequent feedings of healthy foods, you'll be less likely to have cravings which makes resisting easier.  On your work days when there are sweets afoot, be sure to have not only a healthy lunch but also healthy coffee break snacks, preferably snacks you REALLY like.  Example, imagine a cup of pistachios and a mandarin orange for break.  Ya, it may have too many carbs for the diet but these are whole foods filled with vitamins and rich in nutrients which will satisfy cravings AND simultaneously keep you from derailing your progress.  Sure they might make it difficult to 'lose' weight but they also make it difficult to 'gain' weight.  

5)  Drink lots of water.  We often confuse thirst for hunger and vice versa so staying hydrated should help keep the appetite in check.  

6) Everything in moderation.  This works very well for some people who are not me.  If you can risk it, you can have say one cookie after one meal of the day.  For me, the 1 turns to 2, then to 3, then to 10.  No thanks.  I like being in shape better.  

For me, SUGAR is my own personal enemy and I have a vendetta against it.  I refuse to support the food industry by consuming these products that will make me fat and riddled with health problems.  

• Like 2

thanks for taking the time to write that out! i am in the same boat where if I have one it leads to 10. and then i'm so stuffed its uncomfortable. unfortunately this isn't just the case for sweets but all tasty food spreads... buff chicken dip comes to mind haha! i love food.

but your #3 is my best defense, I almost never have sweets in the house. and now I can typically say no to goodies in the work kitchen b/c people know me as the healthy person and I don't want to let them down lol

i think i need to go back to saying that I "don't" eat those types of foods when I'm at a party because that was super helpful when i was trying to lose weight.

thanks again :)

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Good suggestions!

I agree that avoiding the sweets on the whole is a good idea. It is always here, which means it is always easy for one to turn to two at some point.

And I noticed the same, if instead of taking the sweets I turn to a healthy meal it satisfies my and I can stay away from the junk!

Have a wonderful day YJ!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Coming off of our Christmas concert and then having a pile of music to learn, I've been feeling a bit burnt out so I've been being lazy.  For me, lazy means a few intentionally skipped workouts and no calorie counting.  I'm still pretty religiously sticking to whole foods as much as possible although my protein is probably lower than it needs to be right now.

Ok, leg day today.  I pushed my legs somewhat hard since the layoff.  

Leg extensions.  Did sets of 10 reps with incremental weight increase 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50lbs.  Lots of hip flexor and groin stretches.  

Squats.
70 x  5

120 x 5

120 x 5

140 x 5

150 x 5

General observations:  I wasn't sitting far enough back when I was reprogramming my squats.  A result of overhead squats.  I think I'm not flexible enough to do these.  Things I gained from my form work:  keeping the head up and the chest out.  I also noticed that my groin is tight which is pulling.  I don't have a problem with muscle imbalance as much as tension issues.   I'll report back tonight about my knees.

Couple of sets of leg curls.
Set of calf raises.

So far today I had Oats and Eggs breakfast.

A mandarin Orange and 2 TBSP of Peanut Butter.

Post Workout Shake...

And I have piles of music to learn yet!

Hey YJ! Sounds like you had a good workout! :encouragement:

Hope the knees did good and your weekend is going great!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

http://pumpernickel.ca/paul_private/Angels%20We%20Have%20Heard%20on%20High.mp3

Oh, light back workout today.  Knees are feeling a bit odd today but they're not in a huge amount of pain.  Going to play the above arrangement of "Angels" at church tomorrow, should be a slice.

Aside from a hamburger (Homemade) supper, things are on track today nutritionally.  I'm going to tighten things down soon enough.  I don't plan to get carried away over the holidays!!!  Now to put the kids to bed and be a roadie!!

Merry Christmas YJ! :snowman:

Glad the knees aren't bothering you overly and that you get some rest!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Heh.  I make it sound like I fell off the wagon and yet my waist is still down to 39inches today.  Good news. 

This just shows you how stinking important it is to eat the RIGHT foods.  I'm going to try and get a workout done today but I've got the big christmas eve service coming up.  Fun times!!!

Way to go on the waist measurement! Awesome!

Best wishes on the Christmas Eve service! Hope it goes wonderfully! ^_^

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Hey Hey YJ! How's everything going?

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Holiday eating has been mostly under control.  I've had a couple of very moderate indulgences but I've been sticking 99% to good foods.

More importantly, I think I identified a major physique problem last challenge.  The minor setbacks were frustrating but they were also very helpful.  The biggest thing that has been dogging my progress has been poor flexibility.  Since working specifically on stretching, squats and deadlifts are getting easier. (Yes I squatted and deadlifted this week and I feel good)  I may not have lost much bodyfat this challenge but progress is better than no progress and it should be easier to focus on goals next challenge now that I've figured this one bit out.  

For next challenge, the goal will be to eat as consistently / well as possible on my end of Jan trip.  Should be ::interesting::  

Sounds good! :encouragement:

Glad to hear the holidays went well and that your heading into the next challenge!! :triumphant:

Have a wonderful New Years!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines