Smurray's journey through the Valley of the Holidays

smurray

The winter's might is creeping upon us making our goals even more challenging.  The days are becoming shorter and the nights are much colder.  Comfort food is found in every nook and cranny tempting us to fall from our paths.  Can we make it through these challenging times unscathed? 

Goal 1: weight- Drop weight to 215 lbs. The holiday season is always a challenging time with weight.  I did less than my usual 10 lbs, but I still want to continue forward.  Instead of pass fail, I will grade on a scale.  Final weight:  215 or less= A, 216 - 217 = B, 218-220= C, 221= D, over 221= F

(1 CHA, 1 STA, 1 DEX)

Goal 2: diet- Time to get back to the food logging.  I have fallen off that wagon and I need to pull myself back on. I will get 3 CON for an A, 2 CON for a B, and 1 CON for a C. I will get 1 WIS for completing the task for the 6WC.

All days logged 100%-90%= A, 89%-80%=B, 79%-70%= C 60%=D, below 60% - F (3 CON, 1 WIS)

Goal 3: exercise- Maintain my routines for now.  Goal is 3 weight days and 3 cardio days per week to help keep off the holiday yummies. 6-5 successful weeks = A,   4-3 Successful weeks= B 2 or less weeks= F (2 STR, 1 STA, 1 DEX)

Life goal:I am still working on the club house and I will post picks, but I have a pre req accounting class I need to finish by Dec 19th.  That is my goal along with posting weekly clubhouse pics. (3 WIS, 1 CHA)

• Like 1

Smurray -- Ranger (Level 4)

STR 8 | DEX 5 | STA 8 | CON 8 | WIS 14 | CHA 9

Challenges:

Current,, First, Second, Third, Fourth

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

I'm hoping that we can!

That is why we are here for each other.  Together we can power through.

Sounds like my chalenge thread... must survive the holidays! Best of luck from a fellow Tennessean.

Same to you.  We got this holiday under control.

Challenges:

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

Yay!  Can't wait to see how you do this challenge.  Maintenance is a good thing.   :)

yes it is.  I hope I can keep focus during all the crazy holiday parties.

How's it going so far?

So far so good.  Dropping weight, increasing speed and distance.  I have a half marathon, tough mudder, warrior dash, and a local mud run scheduled so far for next year.  It looks like i got a fair number of race goals so far.

Challenges:

Holy cow!  That's an awesome race schedule for the next year.  It will definitely help keep you motivated during the holiday season!

I hope so.  I tried to space them to give me a new goal as soon as I finsh one.  i am looking forward to it.

Challenges:

Did not want to complete Goal 1 this early, but dehydration will do that to you when you have a stomach bug.  At least I am feeling better tonight and I may actually be back to full steam tomorrow.  I still have time to have a solid week one.

Challenges:

Well, out of the starting gate and into the mess.  I had finally gotten myself healthy from the strained calf and the sprained ankle to just get hit with a mild case of a stomach bug.  it wasn't enough to completely knock me down, but diet and exercise did take a serious beating.  It was only for about 3 days, but that was 3 days too many.  I have picked myself back up and here are the results from week 1:

Goal 1: weight- Drop weight to 215 lbs. The holiday season is always a challenging time with weight. I did less than my usual 10 lbs, but I still want to continue forward. Instead of pass fail, I will grade on a scale. Final weight: 215 or less= A, 216 - 217 = B, 218-220= C, 221= D, over 221= F

(1 CHA, 1 STA, 1 DEX)  Nailed it!  Nothing like no appetite and the bug to help me obtain this goal.  i started at 221 and just weighed in at 215.  I have been eating regular meals over the weekend and gained a couple of pounds back from the lowest I got this week.  Let's see how well I can stay around this mark for the challenge.  A

Goal 2: diet- Time to get back to the food logging. I have fallen off that wagon and I need to pull myself back on. I will get 3 CON for an A, 2 CON for a B, and 1 CON for a C. I will get 1 WIS for completing the task for the 6WC.

All days logged 100%-90%= A, 89%-80%=B, 79%-70%= C 60%=D, below 60% - F (3 CON, 1 WIS)

Not in the mood, but i did get some logging in.  C

Goal 3: exercise- Maintain my routines for now. Goal is 3 weight days and 3 cardio days per week to help keep off the holiday yummies. 6-5 successful weeks = A, 4-3 Successful weeks= B 2 or less weeks= F (2 STR, 1 STA, 1 DEX)  I got 2 cardio and 2 strength days- A miss for the week.

Life goal:I am still working on the club house and I will post picks, but I have a pre req accounting class I need to finish by Dec 19th. That is my goal along with posting weekly clubhouse pics. (3 WIS, 1 CHA)  I did study for my test and i have it scheduled for tomorrow.  Time to take care of it this week.  I added one more panel and decided to take a break and work on another little project.  I am thinking about making a few of these for an art fair in the summer.  It is still in the prototype phase.  Also my wife said i cannot keep it on the clubhouse.

20131117_165539.jpg

Challenges:

Look like good solid goals, very focused on doing the actions that will take you toward your long-term goals. I'm particularly impressed by your longer-term planning with next year's race schedule. I love your approach of planning ahead to have a series of race goals set up well ahead of time. So simple, so practical, so smart. You're inspiring me. Thanks! :-)

OrcWarrior

Current challenge  6 5 4 3 2 1 Favorite recipes

Level 4 ranger  Str 13 Dex 4 Sta 12 Con 12 Wis 11 Cha 5

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991

Sounds like a pretty good week all things considered!  Glad to hear you're already going to knock out that test.  Hope this week got off to a good star.

(oh - and p.s. the wine holder is awesome and I think it suits the clubhouse well.) :P

FluffyRin  --  Ranger (Level 4)

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 4.5 | CON 10 | WIS 10 | CHA 6

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, Current

Look like good solid goals, very focused on doing the actions that will take you toward your long-term goals. I'm particularly impressed by your longer-term planning with next year's race schedule. I love your approach of planning ahead to have a series of race goals set up well ahead of time. So simple, so practical, so smart. You're inspiring me. Thanks! :-)

Thanks.  I am really working on these long term goals to give me focus.  The race schedule was a happy accident.  I do have a couple of races that are close, but they are 4 weeks apart and the shorter race is on the backend, so that helps.  Another thing that is keeping me in the races is that I have a workout shirt that I wore on my first mud run.  It cleaned up pretty well so I wore it on my second and third runs.  After that, I started to keep a tally of my different mud/ urban runs on the back with a sharpie marker.  Right now I am up to 5 races and I can't wait to see how many it will survive.

Sounds like a pretty good week all things considered!  Glad to hear you're already going to knock out that test.  Hope this week got off to a good star.

(oh - and p.s. the wine holder is awesome and I think it suits the clubhouse well.) :tongue:

Thanks.  Speaking of test, I squeaked out a passing grade, so that is another thing off my list.  Of course, I was stressing before hand and ate a nasty bad meal for lunch, but I threw in a few more cardio minutes this evening to help add a little balance.  I better stay on top of the intake to keep this weight in check for this 6WC.  My wife says the wine rack has to come down, but I am going to use the same technique to build some shelves for the girls to stash things. I also have a few other surprises planned in the clubhouse and I am determined to finish the pallet walls this weekend so we can move on to the more fun aspects of this build.

Challenges:

Best of luck in Week 2. Hopefully the illness is behind you and you can focus on your challenge goals.

Thanks, and yes we are back to 100% on sick free and full steam ahead

Looks like you are set up to have a good week 2!

Week 2 is going good.  i am looking forward to carrying this momentum into the Thanksgiving weekend gauntlet.

Challenges:

Thanksgiving gauntlet...  That's a strangely appropriate way to think of it.  I'm visualizing family members lined up hurling scoops of rich white mashed potatoes and gravy, ham, stuffing, and gooey deserts at me as I rush through, aiming for my mouth.  Must.... duck.... and.... dodge.....

OrcWarrior

Current challenge  6 5 4 3 2 1 Favorite recipes

Level 4 ranger  Str 13 Dex 4 Sta 12 Con 12 Wis 11 Cha 5

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991

Thanksgiving gauntlet...  That's a strangely appropriate way to think of it.  I'm visualizing family members lined up hurling scoops of rich white mashed potatoes and gravy, ham, stuffing, and gooey deserts at me as I rush through, aiming for my mouth.  Must.... duck.... and.... dodge.....

that sounds like it would be super awesome to watch!  LMAO  great visual! 

This past week was a little tough, but made it through.  I am ramping exercise up to help with the burning calories.  I am still hanging in there.

Goal 1: weight- Drop weight to 215 lbs. The holiday season is always a challenging time with weight. I did less than my usual 10 lbs, but I still want to continue forward. Instead of pass fail, I will grade on a scale. Final weight: 215 or less= A, 216 - 217 = B, 218-220= C, 221= D, over 221= F

(1 CHA, 1 STA, 1 DEX) I crept back up a little more to 218. C I expected that with the amount of bad stuff I have been eating and my body bouncing back from being sick.  Time to get serious.

Goal 2: diet- Time to get back to the food logging. I have fallen off that wagon and I need to pull myself back on. I will get 3 CON for an A, 2 CON for a B, and 1 CON for a C. I will get 1 WIS for completing the task for the 6WC.

All days logged 100%-90%= A, 89%-80%=B, 79%-70%= C 60%=D, below 60% - F (3 CON, 1 WIS)  C Here is part of my problem.  I am just not logging my intake.  My exercise, I am putting in, but I am just turning a blind eye to the food.  I have got to confront the comfort food monsters and keep a tally of the food.

Goal 3: exercise- Maintain my routines for now. Goal is 3 weight days and 3 cardio days per week to help keep off the holiday yummies. 6-5 successful weeks = A, 4-3 Successful weeks= B 2 or less weeks= F (2 STR, 1 STA, 1 DEX)  B I got in 5 days this week.  i think i need to adjust this to where it can be 5 or 6 days a week.  My class schedule has been throwing one day into a tailspin for working out.  I did get in 10.5 miles for my long run and I have been feeling really good with all my work outs. 

Life goal:I am still working on the club house and I will post picks, but I have a pre req accounting class I need to finish by Dec 19th. That is my goal along with posting weekly clubhouse pics. (3 WIS, 1 CHA)   A  Speaking of class, I finished my acct pre req and can put all my energies into my current class.  The clubhouse is coming along.  I worked on the back wall and framed out the windows this weekend.  it is just take a little longer since I am combing through leftover pieces and trying to find the best way to use them.  It is like a puzzle right now.

Challenges:

That may be an idea for the left overs! 

that sounds like it would be super awesome to watch!  LMAO  great visual! 

Sounds like a good theme for a thanksgiving 5k.

Challenges:

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines