3rd time's the charm for Epsilonx2...

Epsilonx2

I've enjoyed reading this thread so far, you're doing so well! Keep up the good work!

The Doctor: "I travel. Through time and space."

Donna Noble: "He saves worlds, rescues civilizations, defeats terrible creatures and runs a lot. Seriously, there's an outrageous amount of running involved."

Hi Epsilonx2,

So, your lifestyle choice in Community is really interesting. I can just tolerate a 2 person household, and since I cook and hubby does not, it's my way or the highway. So, I can really see where this situation is quite a challenge for you diet-wise.

Anyway, I was talking with said hubby about people I like on this site and told him about your situation and he said, "She should become the nutritionist for her community."

That sounded like such a great idea that I just wanted to share it with you. Hope you don't find my unsolicited advice too annoying.

Either way, keep on truckin'!

• Like 1

----

Don't Chew what you should Eschew!

Oh I just remembered, the easiest way to check your body fat is to just eye ball it. This is a really good article for learning how to do it!

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

I hope your week two is going well. One more day and we're over the hump! Keep on battling!

Level Two, Half-Drow Ranger

My 6-Week Challenge!      Zombie Outbreak Survivors!

“There is a wide world out there, full of pain, but filled with joy as well.

The former keeps you on the path of growth and the latter makes the journey tolerable.†
― R.A. Salvatore, Sojourn

Woo! Thanks so much, everyone! I've definitely been working on expanding my personal recipe book and the purchases I made at the market on Saturday have already influenced what other people have made for dinner. Last night, we had sweet potato curry with spinach, tomatoes and quinoa. It was delicious! It's lucky that I'm one of my community's bookkeepers, so at least I'm heavily involved in deciding how we spend our money and I'm often the one that picks up groceries. I did discover the other day that a 5-lbs bag of rice had slipped by me, but I suppose one can only do so much.

I did my first body weight workout yesterday and it was a lot tougher than I'd thought it would be. I made it through and thought I was more or less recovered, but then I tried to walk down the stairs... Big mistake. Nearly fell to my death. But it made me feel like I hadn't wasted the day, so all was well! Today I'll be doing the third 5K workout on the Zombies, Run! app. It's still really odd how exciting that is for me.

I'm still on track with waking up and Duolingo. Glad to hear everyone's still holding strong! Hooray for Week 2!

• Like 1

Aisha
Half-Giant Warrior, Level 5

STR: 7 || DEX: 6 || STA: 8 || CON: 7.5 || WIS: 12.5 || CHA: 5

Challenges: Current 4 3 2 1

Zombies, Run!

Nerd Fitness Mitten Meetups

If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time.

But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine,

then let us work together. -Lilla Watson

I did my first body weight workout yesterday and it was a lot tougher than I'd thought it would be. I made it through and thought I was more or less recovered, but then I tried to walk down the stairs... Big mistake. Nearly fell to my death. 

LOL! I remember that happening to me when I started doing squats. Keep with it and your body will adapt very quickly! Congrats on your progress and keep it up!! :D

The former keeps you on the path of growth and the latter makes the journey tolerable.†

I wasn't able to complete my third 5K training run last night. By the time we finished dinner, washed dishes, and had our community meeting, it was after 10pm. Most of my housemates were not at all comfortable with me going outside by myself, to the point that one of them took one of my running shoes and hid it in his room. Eventually the argument ended with me going upstairs and having a very vulnerable talk with another housemate about body image and other related things. The good news is that I was able to get up and out in time to go for that run this morning! I don't think I've ever done anything like that quite so early in the day. Part of me hated it, but part of me was really proud.

I'm still doing okay with food, though last night's dinner was very anti-challenge (spaghetti). I tried to take more veggies and less pasta. I'm super excited for chicken and asparagus tonight! I think my housemates will be really happy with it. I think they'll also be really happy with the ground beef I cooked up this afternoon. That was what I had for lunch, the equivalent of a burger. I would've made more of a meal out of it, but I was running pretty short on time. I've remarked before on how I haven't felt hungry, but now I think it's just that I'm not having cravings. I'm sure I'm eating less than I was before because I was always snacking on things like popcorn or tortilla chips or leftover Halloween candy. And yet, I always used to feel ravenous by the end of the work day. I'll admit that I'm still pretty irritable (I sit for the last two hours in a large room full of loud children trying to pretend I'm not here) during that period, but I'm not hangry.

I've realized that I have a totally vain goal that I'm eager to achieve. This is two or three challenges down the line, but I'm looking forward to the goalball tournament that'll be happening in Warren, MI the first weekend in March. (If you don't know what that is, you can check out some videos here.) My friends from the New York team will be there (I went to college in NYC), but so will a couple of guys that I've wanted to be more than friends with in the past. Now that I'm volunteering full-time, romantic relationships are kind of low on my priority list, but I'm really looking forward to showing up at that tournament a noticeably smaller person. I figure I won't be exactly where I want to be after only four months, but I'll be well on the way!

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

I'm really proud of you too! The fact that you were arguing with your roommates about letting you go out to run was probably a new experience. I know I certainly wouldn't have expected that of myself not too long ago lol. Keep up the good work and keep us posted so we can keep cheerin' for ya!

Way to overcome adversity. Personally, I'd like to tell your shoe-hiding roommate to stick it, but it's great that you didn't let it stop you. And running first thing in the day is a great way to give yourself a boost for the rest of the day.

I highly recommend keeping a detailed food log.  Knowledge is power! And it has really really helped me to see not only where I'm succeeding or need improving, but answers questions, too, like your wondering if you are nibbling less, now.

As for your vain goal, nothing vain about it. Having a motivation in the future to go out and see some people looking good and feeling confident is wonderful.

----

Oh yeah I want to agree with the vain goal being okay! Honestly, we live in a world where being physically fit is a HUGE advantage and people who try to ignore that fact tend to miss out. The most we can do is work with what we have and make the most of it. I think that at the very least 95% of people under the age of 50 workout because they want to look good to gain the social benefits of looking good, like finding a boyfriend/girlfriend. Being healthy overall is the other motivator that usually goes along side.

I'm really proud of you too! The fact that you were arguing with your roommates about letting you go out to run was probably a new experience. I know I certainly wouldn't have expected that of myself not too long ago lol. Keep up the good work and keep us posted so we can keep cheerin' for ya!

Thanks! I mostly meant I was proud of myself for sticking to the fitness plan even though mornings are torture for me, not so much the arguing part. It did make me think about what really bother me about being prevented from leaving the house, though. Part of it is that... this is my home now. I feel like I need to be able to walk through my neighborhood at any hour that it's reasonable to be awake. Part of it was me being afraid that putting that extra obstacle there would slow or even halt my progress.

Way to overcome adversity. Personally, I'd like to tell your shoe-hiding roommate to stick it, but it's great that you didn't let it stop you. And running first thing in the day is a great way to give yourself a boost for the rest of the day.

I highly recommend keeping a detailed food log.  Knowledge is power! And it has really really helped me to see not only where I'm succeeding or need improving, but answers questions, too, like your wondering if you are nibbling less, now.

As for your vain goal, nothing vain about it. Having a motivation in the future to go out and see some people looking good and feeling confident is wonderful.

Hehe, I wanted to do the same thing at the time. It's going to take some getting used to, but running in the morning at least a couple days a week is definitely going to speed up the process of completing my sleep-related mission. Oh, and I'm definitely nibbling less. I'm hardly nibbling at all! I've been tracking what I eat on my phone using Lose It! If I snack, it's an apple, banana, kale chips, or something like that. And everything gets logged on the app. It gives me an estimation of how many calories I've consumed and roughly how many I've burned when I enter different types of exercise.

And that's a fair point. Hopefully, I'll be at LEAST 10-20% sexier by then! :playful:

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

W2D3 Update:

They call this a challenge for a reason! I've had to contend with my own tendency to sleep til the last possible moment as well as others' concerns for my safety at night, but I've stuck with my workout plan. 2/4 for this week complete! I'll do at least a couple more runs this week and probably one or two body weight workouts. This way, even if something happens and I miss one, I'll be sure to meet my goal.

I've been working on injecting better food choices into our lives. We went to an event called Theology on Tap tonight and it took me a second to remember I'm not drinking beer during the challenge! I don't even generally like beer, it's just that JVs tend to go cheap when we drink. I also replaced the rice in that chicken/asparagus dish with quinoa since we only have white rice.

Some of my housemates have started to express how proud they are of me. It's only been a week and a half! I feel so much more committed to this, though, than I have in the past and they're a huge part of that. Mind you, these are people I met three and a half months ago. I already love them like family. Craziness.

• Like 1

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

Agreed! I'd forgotten about those. I've had it for quite a while. I earned a bunch the first time I used it consistently, so I guess it'll take a while to start earning them again, either when I hit a weight loss milestone or once I've logged every day for a couple of months straight.

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

That is awesome I'm glad you're experiencing so much success! I really like your food choices that you've mentioned, like trading out plain white rice for quinoa. It's tasty and a good healthy substitute since it's full of complete protein. I'm also glad to hear that your roomies are so supportive! Especially since they are in a sense embarking on the food portion of your journey with you. Keep up the hard work! And if you find that you can surpass your goals then go for it! Reach for the stars as they say. It's inspiring to see someone actually do it :)

• Like 1

Wow! I hadn't realized how long it's been since my last post. I've been poking around others' threads and keeping up with my own challenge, though! My mother and sister are visiting from Florida right now, so there are some additional food-related difficulties. My mom wants to buy things for us, take us out for a meal, etc. I want to show them the city, which includes good restaurants, but don't want to totally compromise my food plan. Between that and it being one of the other volunteer's birthday, there's been quite a lot going on.

I've kept up with the Zombies, Run! 5K trainer. I mentioned before that I'll be running in the mornings. It's very odd for me to be up and doing things that early, but I feel good about the progress I've made. I can't imagine being able to run 5K. But if I keep up with the app, it'll happen in January! I'm also looking forward to weighing myself on Monday. I'm sure the loss won't be as much as the first week, but there's bound to be some. Even if it's just a single pound, I'll know that I weigh less than I have since I can remember. I've been as much as about 250 lbs at my heaviest, so going below 220 lbs is going to feel fantastic!

I really want to work on introducing the body weight exercises into my routine. With my run tomorrow, I'll have just met my goal to work out 4 times per week. (That doesn't count the time I spent hauling groceries around the market this morning.) I'd like to get up to two or three body weight workouts per week, but that can come later.

Still doing well with sleep, though I should definitely get to sleep just a little earlier during the week, especially if I'm going to be running before work. I'm also continuing to beat my housemate in weekly Duolingo points. Hope week two is winding down well for everyone! I'll do some catching up/checking in on Monday.

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

Hey there, I went out to dinner the other night and ordered a burger with lots of toppings and no bun. Salad instead of fries.

It came all stacked up on my plate like you would get at a French Bistro. And with a fork and knife, eating a burger with avocado, swiss and bacon went from messy to elegant.

Plus, I could barely finish it!

That's become my go-to strategy for restaurants for the time being.

Hope that helps.

Have fun with the folks.

----

What a fantastic read. So happy for you that you have been doing so well. Have your legs got back to normal now after the body weight circuits. I did the same as you and was pretty cripple for a few days.

Family visiting is hard for eating out. We live on the other side of the world to our families so when ever they come here or we go there its as if all they want to do is feed us. And well done on your weight loss too! Well done!

Thanks so much!

It seems like the combination of not working out as efficiently (running in below freezing temperatures is a new and very difficult experience) and eating out with my family caught up to me. I maintained this week in terms of weight, so I'm still at 220. It could've gone the other way, though. I'm getting more used to the running, but I'm now convinced that I should really put some serious energy into those body weight exercises if I'm going to continue to make progress through the holidays. Now that we've made it to week three, I'll be waking up by 9am every weekday. My mom and sister got to experience my obnoxious alarm this morning! :P

The last few days have been difficult. I stuck to my outline, choosing salads or eating homemade food unless it was a community meal, but the things I ate when my mom took us all out were probably full of unnecessary stuff. This week will be just as hard in terms of food. I've given myself two days of wiggle room (I can still get an A if I deviate from my food plan twice.) and they're both probably happening this week. Thanksgiving and Saturday will be my only two real days off throughout the six weeks. I'm not going to gorge myself, but I'm not going to stress out about food. Normally, I'd eat until I couldn't physically eat anymore without feeling sick. Then I'd take a break and come back for dessert. This time around, I'm going to eat a little bit of everything I really want, but try to fill up mostly on the veggie dishes we're bringing.

I've also got to recommit to the exercise. I've allowed the colder weather to keep me from giving the absolute most that I can on my runs and I've allowed myself to put the body weight routines off. No more! I know what I want and how to get and all that's left is to go to work. On to week three!

• Like 1

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

Ya know, the funny thing about Thanksgiving dinner, is that it's really not that bad. Fill up on Lots of Turkey! And get some dark meat in there. Don't touch the bread. It's not worth it. Save the empty calories for dessert. And just remember that the new you feels like crap when you've eaten too much and the new you avoids doing things that result in feeling like crap.

Also, you can do a mini fast up until dinner time. Don't eat anything beginning 12-16 hours before dinner, but make you final meal a high fat one and avoid any carbs at all, and you should be able to stick it out.

Drink LOTS of water before you sit down to the table. And chew every bite and swallow completely before taking another bite. Put your fork down between bites.

(ok, I admit, I'm giving myself a little pep talk here, too. Hope you don't mind!)

We can both do it!!!

• Like 1

----

I think my favorite part about reading your posts is your attitude! You're taking on a lot of challenges right now and still managing to keep a positive attitude and put forth genuine effort by planning ahead and staying mindful. Good job and keep it up!

• Like 1

So this week has been pretty great overall! I'll get to the best part at the very end. No cheating and skipping ahead! (But really, I won't blame you.)

The waking up on time has been way easier than I thought it would be. I only had to work Monday and Tuesday this week, so I allowed myself to sleep in a bit the rest of the week. I've had to work a little more to keep up with Duolingo, but that's working out just fine as well. I completely understood a Brazilian friend's Facebook status the other day!

As far as exercise goes, I've done something every day this week. I ran Tuesday and Thursday and did a body weight workout (incline push-ups, hip thrusts, squats, and planks) on Monday, Wednesday, and today. I'll definitely be running on Sunday, but I might also do the body weight stuff again tomorrow. I'm feeling a lot stronger. My pace is picking up on Zombies, Run! as I'm running for a larger portion of the workouts. I've started the third week of 5K training as of yesterday. I've also started talking to my housemate who's training to run a marathon. He's given me a few tips on form and pacing and stretching. The more I do it, the easier it becomes. I've never stuck with any kind of program long enough to really feel that before.

Food and I are developing a much more healthy relationship. I'm finding that it's easier and easier to pack more veggies into my diet. I think I'll be eating according to my plan tomorrow, even though I still have a day I can technically eat whatever and still get an A overall. I had my fill of starchy and sweet things yesterday. I did not, however, stuff myself beyond reason and comfort. Everyone else was too busy stuffing themselves with three or four plates full of food to notice that I only had one. I enjoyed, cheese, wine, and even a sampling of the desserts, but I didn't scarf down everything I saw until I couldn't move. I felt very comfortable after eating. We even went on a short walk in between dinner and dessert. All in all, it was a wonderful party with amazing people and fantastic food that didn't kill my progress or throw me off track.

And the best thing... I have no idea how much I weigh at the moment, probably slightly less than 220 lbs, but today I fit into a tank top and a sweater, neither of which have EVER FIT ME BEFORE. Too excited! I can finally see definite proof that what I'm doing is having an effect and it only has me pumped to smash the back half of this challenge and get into awesome shape!

• Like 1

Aisha

Zombies, Run!

Woohoo! I didn't cheat I read the whole thing! The last paragraph WAS super exciting though! I can't wait to see what happens in another three weeks... Keep up the good work Epsi!! :)

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines