• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Phoenix Burning

Phoenix Burning's Quest for the Dragon Scroll

In my dreams, I am the Dragon Warrior, a fierce combatant and companion of the Furious Five.

po-wakes-up-o.gif

Then, I wake up and realize I am a big, fat, clumsy Panda.  If I want to fulfill my destiny, things have to change.  Starting today.

Last challenge, I made a big announcement (and general tirade) of my new diet manifesto...and then never implemented it.  So, this challenge will be about focusing on one of five aspects of the manifesto each week (thank you, Cheechoe), hopefully culminating in a final week of 2013 of dietary victory!

Week 1 (and the few days leading up to it):  Wait for it....

when-you-have-been-trained-you-mat-eat-o

This is about waiting for hunger before eating EVERY TIME.

Week 2:  Food is fuel.

kung-fu-panda-pushups-o.gif

I need to remember what food is for: building muscle, energy for the day.  Superior quality foods are the priority.  (Follow the Primal Diet guidelines, UNLESS having a very specific food craving, i.e., not just "I want something sweet", but "I want pumpkin cheesecake with whipcream")

Week 3:  Is it Worth It?

training-kung-fu-panda-o.gif

If I am not choosing a fueling food, it had better be something really worth it, either in taste or emotional connection (aka, the Christmas cookie).  To help with this decision-making process, I will use the Whole 40 Guide to Nutritional Off-Roading EVERY time I am faced with a craving.  (And I will post it here for accountability.)

Week 4:  Savor the Flavor

don-t-tell-monkey-o.gif

Take the time to actually enjoy the taste of my foods, not just throwing food down my gaping maw.  No eating at the computer or in front of the TV or while reading, etc. etc. etc.  Be mindful and appreciate the food.

Week 5:  Where is Full?

po-is-not-hungry-o.gif

Full is when I am no longer hungry, not when I feel "full" (which is actually, "too full").  Hopefully, this will be easy to do after nailing mindful eating

Week 6:  Putting it all Together:  The Dragon Warrior + the Furious Five

3473277456_8141a5c91b.jpg

Pretty self-explanatory.  Integrate all 5 aspects of the plan.  Hopefully, will be pretty easy.

Life Goal:  Open the Dragon Scroll

kp6_l.jpg

Write 50,000 words of my novel before November 30th.  (NaNoWriMo)  I am already sadly behind, due to exhaustion from my new job, but honestly ANY work on my novel would be awesome, so here's trying, right?

Side Quest:  You may have noticed an absense of monkery in this here monk challenge.  This is deliberate because a) my new job and NaNo are time consuming and exhausting and B) I really need to nail the diet and not use up my willpower too much.  Sooooo...I'm only aiming for 3 days of Yoga for Martial Artists per week.  Anything more than that will be gravy on my full plate.

kung%2Bfu%2Bpanda%2B360.jpg

• Like 1

Hm.

If you're wanting to fool around with hunger, one thing that'll help with that is drinking water. Any time you're hungry, drink some water, then wait a few minutes. If the hunger sensation persists, then you know it's legitimate, and you can eat.

• Like 1

I like how you're working on a single goal with baby steps at a time, that's the path to success. I'd also recommend Intermittent Fasting, specially if you tend to eat all the time and can't tell the difference between anxiety and hunger. Once you fast, you learn to identify what's really hunger and what's not.

Also, just based on my experience, meditation has helped me whenever I have cravings or urges to eat. I just take a breath, identify the feeling of urges, see it coming and let it go. It takes some practice, but it can help too.

=D

Good Luck, Dragon Warrior! 

Hm.

If you're wanting to fool around with hunger, one thing that'll help with that is drinking water. Any time you're hungry, drink some water, then wait a few minutes. If the hunger sensation persists, then you know it's legitimate, and you can eat.

+1 to this.  I pretty much hose down liters of water a day, and partially it's because I know that if I'm hungry the water might mitigate that feeling.  Of course, there's always that point when I do that and then 20 minutes later I'm starving, and then I eat something, but at least at that point I know I'm actually hungry.

Also, I love Kung Fu Panda, and now I think I need to watch it today.  Though the Holiday Special?  Pure.  Awesome. 

Hm.

Yes.  I do need to drink more.  I get headaches a lot from not drinking all day.  Good tip.

original.jpg

"It is said that the Dragon Warrior can survive for months on nothing but the dew from a single ginko leaf and the energy of the universe."

I like how you're working on a single goal with baby steps at a time, that's the path to success. I'd also recommend Intermittent Fasting, specially if you tend to eat all the time and can't tell the difference between anxiety and hunger. Once you fast, you learn to identify what's really hunger and what's not.

Also, just based on my experience, meditation has helped me whenever I have cravings or urges to eat. I just take a breath, identify the feeling of urges, see it coming and let it go. It takes some practice, but it can help too.

=D

Good Luck, Dragon Warrior! 

I find that waiting for hunger (when I actually do it) naturally amounts to a form of intermittent fasting.  (The 8-hour window one)  I usually eat once in the morning and again in the early afternoon (2 or 3pm) and that's it for the day.  I tried doing it the other way, eating at midday and evening, but it was much harder.

Thanks for the luck.  (I could use it about now)

+1 to this.  I pretty much hose down liters of water a day, and partially it's because I know that if I'm hungry the water might mitigate that feeling.  Of course, there's always that point when I do that and then 20 minutes later I'm starving, and then I eat something, but at least at that point I know I'm actually hungry.

Also, I love Kung Fu Panda, and now I think I need to watch it today.  Though the Holiday Special?  Pure.  Awesome. 

I haven't seen the Holiday Special.  Must investigate.... :panda:

Hey PB, best of luck with your challenge! 

I read somewhere that Japanese parents teach their children to stop eating when they're still just a tiny little bit hungry. Not sure if that's true, but it kind of stuck. :) 

I like the plan! This is going to be awesome.

I've used all of those techniques in the past and everyone of them will help you. For week five I'd suggest making sure you have access to snacks and such, it helps you figure out when you're super hungry and when it's just a little hunger. If that makes sense.

Hey PB, best of luck with your challenge! 

I read somewhere that Japanese parents teach their children to stop eating when they're still just a tiny little bit hungry. Not sure if that's true, but it kind of stuck. :)

Makes sense.  The Japanese as a whole are so thin.  I couldn't shop in their stores at all when I lived there.

I like the plan! This is going to be awesome.

I've used all of those techniques in the past and everyone of them will help you. For week five I'd suggest making sure you have access to snacks and such, it helps you figure out when you're super hungry and when it's just a little hunger. If that makes sense.

That's the part I think will be the hardest: timing the hunger with snacks and such.  Like yesterday, I was hungry about 2 hours before dinner.  It was hard to find something small enough to satisfy me, but still arrange to be hungry again by dinner.  Tricky.  (I failed).

I re-read your thread today and was thinking, what about regular meals, and no snacking?

Have you tried this?

I know you've tried a lot ... maybe it's against your plan?

I find it really helps me - it takes a while to get into it but after 5-10 days or so you'll be timed to be hungry at the exact right times. And then it's really really simple to not snack because it's just not 'on'.

For me it really saves me a whole lot of thinking: "should I eat this? Should I eat this now? Should I eat something else?" etc.

No more. I wake up ravenous and wolf down my breakfast, the I sit at my desk at work and get really really hungry until it's finally lunchtime, and then I hurry home and whip up something really quickly because I'm starving. And then it's 7pm and that's my kitchen curfew, so I can't eat anymore. Repeat. :) 

It's much harder on weekends when we're all at home and everybody get hungry at different times. 

I think eating regular meals is part of my problem (but not snacking, I'm not one for snacking...which is why I struggle now with eating something small to be hungry again soon).  Right now, I eat by the clock, so at noon I eat lunch (even though I'm not usually hungry) and then eat dinner at 5:30 with the family (even though I'm definitely not hungry then, either).  And the problem with eating when not hungry is that it is almost impossible to tell when to stop without some artificial measuring of food.  I want to develop a more intuitive system for regulating my food intake, if that makes any sense. 

I suppose in the end I will ideally be using enough portion control that I will be hungry at the right times, but I think that will take some experimentation and fine tuning.  For now, I just want to start with finding hunger and fullness.

Well, the japanese as a whole are just a lot more active than we are too, as I understand it. And the traditional diet is basically loaded with anti-inflammatory carbs, with the exception of rice, which they've probably got a lot of genetic adaptations toward. Also, the traditional diet is heavily biased toward real foods; even the desert items are basically fruit.

At least, that's how I understand it. I could totally be wrong on this one.

No, you're right on all accounts.  They walk a lot (the kids even walk to school at a very young age) and they basically have dorm-size fridges in their houses b/c they expect to go out and get fresh food everyday.  They really don't eat a lot of dairy.  (Or any, that I can think of).  Western foods are starting to creep more into their diets,though, and the effects are obvious.  At least, this was my experience from living in Okinawa (home of the world's largest population of centegenarians) for 3 years.

Oh, yeah. The Okinawans for sure. They're held up as an example in a lot of the Paleo-athlete diet lit I've read.

Also: y'all were deployed to Okinawa? Cool! My brother did his four years there too.

I see you like to chew....

Maybe you should chew.. ON MY FIST!!

HA! Fave line in KungFu Panda.

Your challenge is a challenge indeed. Buuut, a LOT of being fit has to do with the kitchen. I can see you conquering this challenge and really seeing progress!

I hope your NaNoWriMo goes well! :D

Get it! :D

And the problem with eating when not hungry is that it is almost impossible to tell when to stop without some artificial measuring of food.  I want to develop a more intuitive system for regulating my food intake, if that makes any sense.

If by "intuitive" you mean "without using a scale", then the best way is to go visual and put on your dish 2/3 of what you usually put there. If it doesn't do the trick, go with half

Another way could be go for time. Eat as slowly as you can, but be done as everybody else. I think this will work better during your week 4

I think eating regular meals is part of my problem (but not snacking, I'm not one for snacking...which is why I struggle now with eating something small to be hungry again soon).  Right now, I eat by the clock, so at noon I eat lunch (even though I'm not usually hungry) and then eat dinner at 5:30 with the family (even though I'm definitely not hungry then, either).  And the problem with eating when not hungry is that it is almost impossible to tell when to stop without some artificial measuring of food.  I want to develop a more intuitive system for regulating my food intake, if that makes any sense. 

I suppose in the end I will ideally be using enough portion control that I will be hungry at the right times, but I think that will take some experimentation and fine tuning.  For now, I just want to start with finding hunger and fullness.

I try to eat with the family too once a day and I think it's important ... but it takes a lot of discipline to not eat what they eat if it's non-paleo! :)

I'm surprised you don't get hungry - but I remember I had phases like that too, especially at work when I'd be like, oh I can't eat later better be safe and eat enough now ... always dangerous! :)

Well done for doing the hunger thing then, you need to break the cycle of being full all the time. :) That can be harder than it sounds ...

I see you like to chew....

Maybe you should chew.. ON MY FIST!!

HA! Fave line in KungFu Panda.

Your challenge is a challenge indeed. Buuut, a LOT of being fit has to do with the kitchen. I can see you conquering this challenge and really seeing progress!

I hope your NaNoWriMo goes well! :D

Get it! :D

At first the Warrior said nothing, for his mouth was full.  Then he swallowed.  And then he spoke, "Enough talk.  Let's fight!"

kfp02.jpg

Eh, I'm not sure NaNo is going to happen.  I'm at least a week behind because my brain apparently turns to mush when I am working.  (It's the first paying job I've had since 2004, so it's a big adjustment).  Hopefully my mental faculties will return after I finish training this week.

If by "intuitive" you mean "without using a scale", then the best way is to go visual and put on your dish 2/3 of what you usually put there. If it doesn't do the trick, go with half

Another way could be go for time. Eat as slowly as you can, but be done as everybody else. I think this will work better during your week 4

Partly not using the scale, but also not counting calories or macros or anything like that.  Just relying on biofeedback.  Going for smaller portion sizes (like 2/3 or 1/2 a "normal" portion) is a place to start, but some days that might be too little or too much, depending upon activity level, etc.  The point is to kind of let my body tell me what it needs (without my greedy brain poking in).

I try to eat with the family too once a day and I think it's important ... but it takes a lot of discipline to not eat what they eat if it's non-paleo! :)

I'm surprised you don't get hungry - but I remember I had phases like that too, especially at work when I'd be like, oh I can't eat later better be safe and eat enough now ... always dangerous! :)

Well done for doing the hunger thing then, you need to break the cycle of being full all the time. :) That can be harder than it sounds ...

You're so right.  It is difficult to eat with everyone else and not eat what they do.  I feel left out sometimes (or just tired of cooking 2 meals).

I'm not sure why I don't get hungry that often.  I remember back in the day (when I was skinny) I only ate about 1.5 times a day (meaning some days eating once and others twice).  I know it worked for me back then, though, so that's partly why I'd like to get back to it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why I don't get hungry that often.  I remember back in the day (when I was skinny) I only ate about 1.5 times a day (meaning some days eating once and others twice).  I know it worked for me back then, though, so that's partly why I'd like to get back to it.

It might be you had a different diet, I know when I changed mine I suddenly was hungry all the time. Granted that's because I was eating a high sugar and carb diet at the time.

As for biofeedback why not establish a sort baseline amount of food you need based on nutrition (certain amount of protein, a couple serving of vegetables, etc) but then add things based on how hungry you are. I kinda do that, I have two meals a day (breakfast and dinner) that are pretty set and then just go with what my body is craving.

Wow, first job since '04!

What is it you do?

I was a SpEd Teacher, but it was really hard to stay in that field after marrying a Marine.  We moved around so much, and not always in the US, so it was really difficult to keep up with local licensing requirements.  For example, the state I am in now requires a Master's degree, but it only required a Bachelor's degree in NC (at least back in 2004...not sure if the same, now).  Even in states where the license requirements were not quite that different, by the time I had taken the extra couple classes (and spent the money to take them) we would have orders to move again and I was back to the drawing board.  Then, I started having kids and decided to stay home and be Mommy for a while.  I definitely do NOT regret that decision.  It has been very special to spend time with my babies.

Anyway, my husband hasn't found a permanent job (worth accepting) yet, so we're both working as seasonal help for a major retail chain.  It's not normally mind melting work, but I have never worked retail, so everything is new and I feel so awkward.  Plus it's long hours on my feet and always under pressure to get stuff done, so it's more of a fatigue+stress thing than an over-thinking thing.  I do enjoy it, though, and I think it will be better once I am more accustomed to it all.

It might be you had a different diet, I know when I changed mine I suddenly was hungry all the time. Granted that's because I was eating a high sugar and carb diet at the time.

As for biofeedback why not establish a sort baseline amount of food you need based on nutrition (certain amount of protein, a couple serving of vegetables, etc) but then add things based on how hungry you are. I kinda do that, I have two meals a day (breakfast and dinner) that are pretty set and then just go with what my body is craving.

That's exactly what I'm aiming for with week 2 (food is fuel).  Once I am hungry, I must choose Paleo-friendly foods (basically meat and veggies).  Cravings I address more in week 3, since there are cravings and cravings, if you know what I mean.  ("Something sweet" craving could and should be satisfied with fruit; "Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk" will probably not be satisfied with much else)

• Like 1

I was a SpEd Teacher, but it was really hard to stay in that field after marrying a Marine.  We moved around so much, and not always in the US, so it was really difficult to keep up with local licensing requirements.  For example, the state I am in now requires a Master's degree, but it only required a Bachelor's degree in NC (at least back in 2004...not sure if the same, now).  Even in states where the license requirements were not quite that different, by the time I had taken the extra couple classes (and spent the money to take them) we would have orders to move again and I was back to the drawing board.  Then, I started having kids and decided to stay home and be Mommy for a while.  I definitely do NOT regret that decision.  It has been very special to spend time with my babies.

Anyway, my husband hasn't found a permanent job (worth accepting) yet, so we're both working as seasonal help for a major retail chain.  It's not normally mind melting work, but I have never worked retail, so everything is new and I feel so awkward.  Plus it's long hours on my feet and always under pressure to get stuff done, so it's more of a fatigue+stress thing than an over-thinking thing.  I do enjoy it, though, and I think it will be better once I am more accustomed to it all.

Oh, wow. That's crazy that some states require a Master's. Interesting. Seasonal work can be fun, though. :)

I remember that about your husband now. I hope now that the government is 'open' again he will get more opportunities.

I'm looking forward to observing how this diet goes for you. :)

Oh, wow. That's crazy that some states require a Master's. Interesting. Seasonal work can be fun, though. :)

I remember that about your husband now. I hope now that the government is 'open' again he will get more opportunities.

I'm looking forward to observing how this diet goes for you. :)

Not for regular teachers, just Special Ed

He's had a few more interviews now but not for the right area/right pay.

Me, too. :eagerness:

Hi Phoenix Burning! How are you doing!

Wow! Way to address the hunger with your goals. Hunger has been always a problem for me as I usually feel hungry several times a day. Usually my solution is being a too busy to act on it. It´s great to read you are making a conscious effort to battle it instead.

I feel left out sometimes (or just tired of cooking 2 meals).

Same here!

I try and make things we can all eat.

Curry usually works well - with rice for kids & hubbie, no rice for me ... in theory at least !

Today I had some rice with the leftovers for lunch and - BAM -  a handful adds about 30gs of carbs to your diet just like that. Grrrr!