• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Phoenix Burning

Phoenix Burning's Quest for the Dragon Scroll

Hi Phoenix Burning! How are you doing!

Wow! Way to address the hunger with your goals. Hunger has been always a problem for me as I usually feel hungry several times a day. Usually my solution is being a too busy to act on it. It´s great to read you are making a conscious effort to battle it instead.

Hi!  Doing pretty good.  How about you?  Where HAVE you been?

Same here!

I try and make things we can all eat.

Curry usually works well - with rice for kids & hubbie, no rice for me ... in theory at least !

Today I had some rice with the leftovers for lunch and - BAM -  a handful adds about 30gs of carbs to your diet just like that. Grrrr! 

I have heard of paleo types using "riced" cauliflower as a substitute (meaning cauliflower that has been run through a grater/food processor so it looks like rice).  I've never tried it though.

I love this. Get at it.

tumblr_lxke3uw1fT1r9x0sdo1_400.gif

Awwwww!  I've been "giffed" by lilwings!  Thanks!

Depressing first day weigh-in has me at 144.6, which is almost 5 lbs gained since I last dared look at the scale.  I can't say that I am surprised, but must definitely commit to diet this challenge!

Speaking of diet, I've done very well today waiting for hunger.  I was hungry at 10:30am, so I ate a moderate brunch.  I got hungry again at 3 or so, which is that tricky time of day too close to dinner.  I ended up sharing some popcorn with my kids (even though I don't like snacking), just to tide me over until dinner at 5.  Was hungry again by dinner, so that was alright.  The only minor slip-up was when I made my son's lunch at noon, I forgot myself and popped a bite of extra cheese from his sandwich into my mouth without thinking.  Not really a big deal, but in the interest of full disclosure....

I haven't done yoga yet today and I really should b/c tomorrow I go back to work.  Somebody "motivate me", please.

I love the goals, I feel like this manifesto will be natural to you by the end.

I personally struggle a lot with eating when I'm really hungry, and not just eating because I don't feel full or because I feel like it. I'm a big snacker, it's a terrible habit!

Hi!  Doing pretty good.  How about you?  Where HAVE you been?

D:

Doing well, but up to last week I was "OMGWTFBBQ" level of busy.  :nevreness:

But I´m back now! How´s that? =D 

How was the yoga? 

I love the goals, I feel like this manifesto will be natural to you by the end.

I personally struggle a lot with eating when I'm really hungry, and not just eating because I don't feel full or because I feel like it. I'm a big snacker, it's a terrible habit!

Thanks!  I'm hoping for good results, as this is sort of an amalgam of the 2 diets that have worked best for me.

D:

Doing well, but up to last week I was "OMGWTFBBQ" level of busy.  :nevreness:

But I´m back now! How´s that? =D 

How was the yoga? 

It was late and I'm catching some sort of upper respiratory infection, so I stuck to a 15 minute sun salutation, but at least I got some done!

Apparantly we can have a sick Phoenix.  A so-sick-she-can't-even-talk-Phoenix.  Ugh.  My new boss is not going to like this....

Did you make me sick?

I have the same issue. :(

That's the one bad thing about this time of year... hope you get better soon!

Did you make me sick?

I have the same issue. :(

That's the one bad thing about this time of year... hope you get better soon!

Oops.  Sorry.  Gotta watch out for those internet viruses.  :crushed:

I guess the flu shot I got last week was completely ineffective against whatever this is.  Boo.

The waiting for hunger thing hasn't been working out terrifically the last two days.  Yesterday morning I ate when hungry and was a good girl about NOT eating on my lunch break when I WASN'T hungry, waiting until I did get hungry after I got off work.  However, it pretty much went downhill from there.  I was feeling so miserable by dinner that I gave in to the temptation of dinner (and homemade cookies), telling myself it would "make me feel better".  And I haven't had any appetite that I could prove today, but again, have been consuming soup and orange juice and other less nutritious stuff under the guise of "keeping my strength up".  It actually seems I might be hungry for dinner, though, so +1 for me.  I really need to start recording better how often I am eating when hungry so I'm not guessing my grade at the end.  Lets see...I would give myself a 5/10 for this week so far (giving partial credit for eating when I was hungry?).  Oy.  Knowing that number is revelatory.  I would have thought I was doing better.  Must do better, Phoenix!

In other news, my brief sojourn in the world of employment has ended.  My husband and kids hated me working, so I guess it's for the best.  I hope my husband finds a good job SOOOOOON!

I think you can take it a little easy on yourself when you are sick, just use this as motivation to hit it hard when you get better! Don't get discouraged, trial and error is essential in making changes.

Making good food choices when sick is terribly hard! When I get colds I get the worst sweet cravings.

Basically, whenever I find myself rummaging through the larders for milk chocolate and canned peaches I know I'll be sneezing tomorrow! 

It's probably some leftover primal instinct - craving fruit & vitamins! You know, like monkeys eat certain herbs to make themselves feel better when they get sick. 

Feel better soon!

Making good food choices when sick is terribly hard! When I get colds I get the worst sweet cravings.

Basically, whenever I find myself rummaging through the larders for milk chocolate and canned peaches I know I'll be sneezing tomorrow! 

It's probably some leftover primal instinct - craving fruit & vitamins! You know, like monkeys eat certain herbs to make themselves feel better when they get sick. 

Feel better soon!

Really? All I want is a big bowl of pho to help make whatever I have go away sooner. Nothing like some spicy pho gha  :onthego:

I think you can take it a little easy on yourself when you are sick, just use this as motivation to hit it hard when you get better! Don't get discouraged, trial and error is essential in making changes.

I am taking it pretty easy.  Hopefully willpower will gain strength soon.

Feel better soon!

Yeah, I crave sweets/breads when sick.  Seems odd.  If veggies and protein are ultimate healthfood, why don't I want them?  Although...it may be that they are just too much work (both to prepare and to digest)

Really? All I want is a big bowl of pho to help make whatever I have go away sooner. Nothing like some spicy pho gha  :onthego:

I have no idea what that is.  But I could go for spicy something.  Maybe I'll burn the virus out.

Still feeling like I woke up on the wrong side of the zombie apocolypse.  Don't run, scouts, it's just me.

zombies_being_human.png

Still feeling like I woke up on the wrong side of the zombie apocolypse.  Don't run, scouts, it's just me.

zombies_being_human.png

Running zombies! AAAAAA-

Seriously sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. You've had to endure one thing after another in your time with us. Sorry it's been going so rough on you. :\ I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Warm showers?  Won't that get me disavowed?

Nope. Daytime to every purpose under Heaven, including warm showers. But be mindful - cold does confer benefits to the immune system.

I am taking it pretty easy.  Hopefully willpower will gain strength soon.

Yeah, I crave sweets/breads when sick.  Seems odd.  If veggies and protein are ultimate healthfood, why don't I want them?  Although...it may be that they are just too much work (both to prepare and to digest)

I have no idea what that is.  But I could go for spicy something.  Maybe I'll burn the virus out.

zombies_being_human.png

Wait, wouldn't we both technically always be zombies?  I mean, we die.... and then come back.... and I don't think we've ever clearly stated our preferred food source post-resurrection....

Anyway, being sick definitely sucks.  I wonder if I've been having sympathy-Phoenix pains.  I'm just getting over a virally nasty thing, myself.  But feel better!

Nope. Daytime to every purpose under Heaven, including warm showers. But be mindful - cold does confer benefits to the immune system.

I'm liking alternating hot and cold treatments (showers/baths, drinks, etc) right now.

Wait, wouldn't we both technically always be zombies?  I mean, we die.... and then come back.... and I don't think we've ever clearly stated our preferred food source post-resurrection....

Anyway, being sick definitely sucks.  I wonder if I've been having sympathy-Phoenix pains.  I'm just getting over a virally nasty thing, myself.  But feel better!

No, I don't think so.  Zombies are "living dead" and their bodies continue to decay.  Phoenices are merely reborn.

This is the most ill I have felt in a very long time, and with particularly bad timing, as I don't feel I can rest as much as I would like (have so much to do).  However, fortunately for us, most viruses have an expiration date and I can feel mine progressing toward it.

Nothing sucks more than being sick during a challenge. You never get sick on that week between challenges. I hope you feel better now. 

I know, right?  And I was so hoping to kick butt on the last challenge of the year.  Hopefully next week will go better.

I am feeling somewhat better.  I can speak intelligibly and am drug-free for the first time in 3 days (that's Advil and Nyquil, nobody start worrying, okay?).  So I'm upgrading my status from undead to alive and unwell.  But how happy was I to find a container of homemade beef stew in the freezer?

post-21312-Katy-Perry-happy-dance-gif-ba

On the inside.  On the outside I was more like:

sherlock-grin-thumb-500x280-155380.gif

Umm...I don't think I'll bore anyone with the details of the epic failure that was last week.  Suffice it to say I achieved none of my objectives due to the most severe viral infection I have had since the chicken pox when I was 8.  Moving on.

I am going to attempt my week 2 goal of eating Primally, with particular emphasis on grain-free.  Unfortunately, my carb count will still be much higher than I had wanted, since hot green tea with honey is the only thing that makes life worth living right now.  However, I will try to nix any other form of sweets this week.

Bring on the greens!

giant-panda-eating-bamboo-o.gif