Ruckus Commits to the Challenge

Ruckus

'Sup Scouts? I'm the worst about actually finishing challenge, so in addition to my main goal, the meta-challenge is to actually finish this challenge. And I think I've finally figured out my main challenge...

RUN THE 2014 BOSTON MARATHON (April 21, 2014)

Now you're probably thinking that I'm crazy because people like my friend's marathon-running dad haven't qualified for Boston and I've only run 4 miles once. However, my university near Boston sponsors a Marathon Team, where everyone can run with the team and 100 people get numbers (the rest can do bandit, which I'll do if I don't get a number, unless I get injured. Priority goes to students about to leave and I'm a senior...so there's hope?) Anywho...challenge goals:

1. Go to every marathon team run/interval training. I've been pretty bad about this for last few weeks, including this morning. It's Wednesday/Sunday runs and Tuesday interval training all in the morning, which (as a creature of darkness) is something I'm not a fan of.
  2. Run at least one other day during the week.
  3. Do this guy every morning. Modified a little bit because I live on the third floor of a very old college dorm where the walls are thin and I am self-conscious. I might drop this goal if I'm not seeing any sort of "Oh man I'm sure feeling awesome today!" results or something like that after a week or two. (Corollary to this one is getting up with my first alarm at 9:30. You'd think that wouldn't be difficult but you haven't seen my desire to not get out of bed.)

The obvious exception to 1 and 2 is injury or illness, maybe if I have an exam late in the day, but midterm season is basically over so I'm in the clear.

LIFE GOAL: Apply for at least one job every week

Like I said, I'm a college senior. I took the FE a couple weeks ago and just handed in my term paper on Monday, so there goes all the things I said I would do before I started applying for jobs. The first one's always the hardest.

Here we go...

• Like 1

Scout / Assassin. Ich spreche etwas deutsch.

Strava || Duolingo
Challenges: 2015/06/08 (current) | 2015/04/13 | 2014/11/10 | 2014/09/15 | 2014/07/28

"You just have to run to the end of the block. It's not as hard as you think it is."
--Leonard Fisher (12 and Holding)

Probably just sucking it up and hoping I readjust accordingly. I was a "morning person" all summer so it's possible I can do it again.

Strava || Duolingo
Challenges: 2015/06/08 (current) | 2015/04/13 | 2014/11/10 | 2014/09/15 | 2014/07/28

"You just have to run to the end of the block. It's not as hard as you think it is."

You can train yourself to be a morning person - my secret is to not stop moving once I hit the alarm clock. If I stop and think about what I'm doing too long (when getting dressed for a run) I can sometimes talk myself out of it.

Level 4 Human Scout

STR 7 |  DEX 4 | STA 9 | CON 8 | WIS 7 | CHA 3

Training for my first marathon. Player of WoW, occasionally, but right now, player of Skyrim. Professional web designer/developer.

Current ChallengeBattle Log | MyFitnessPal

nanako: Thanks! And, yeah, Boston's a big one (especially after last year's events)

kanjigirl: I know exactly what you're talking about. I have to get up to shut off my alarm, but I tend to go right back to bed. It's a bit of a problem. And I'm also quite good at talking myself out of exercise (and back into bed).

Strava || Duolingo

Week 0 progress (started on Friday): 

1) I skipped marathon training  this morning (because my bed is wonderful). However, I went out for 4 miles at 11:30, so it's not a loss since that's equivalent to or better than what I would have done at 8 AM. I skipped the morning workout because I figured I'd talk myself out of running while that was happening. Probably a good decision as I went for a pretty good run without music for the first time. The 10-mile team qualifier is coming up next Sunday and I'm scared because my PR is currently 4 miles. I'm pretty sure completing the distance is what matters, not that it's going to take me 2 hours with a good chunk of walking before I cross the finish line last.

2) I went running on the treadmill on Friday. It was cold and I was going to do the indoor track, but it looked like a practice was about to start and I got intimidated. So I ran 2 miles on the treadmill and then did another 6 on the bike. Good times.

3) Like I said, I skipped the warm-up this morning, but I did it Friday and Saturday. I definitely didn't take boobs into account when I decided on this one (even though that dude has some massive pecs), but it's not bad. I'm thinking I won't do it on marathon days because I need to get out quickly before I talk myself back into bed.

Life: I did some research on jobs, but I decided to wait a bit before applying for stuff since I want to ask the career counselor some questions about resumes and stuff. Better to get that right before I start applying than find out I royally f-ed up somewhere after.

Looking forward to this week: I'm not sure what's going to happen with the extra running day since Thursday is pub night and I have a mock interview and honor society induction on Friday. I'll try and will myself out of bed Thursday morning before class, but we'll see. Also it might snow on Tuesday. What?

Strava || Duolingo

I've committed to not running with the team tomorrow morning as it's going to be 29° at 7 AM (and I promised myself I wouldn't get sick for this pub night...priorities!). I'm so pumped to be bored as [expletive] running at least 32 laps around the indoor track tomorrow morning (though I might go treadmill since they have mediocre TV and a view of outside).

Strava || Duolingo

10-mile "qualifier" tomorrow morning. I'm scared (I haven't run more than 4 miles ever, so there's no way I'm running the whole thing). I'll report back sometime tomorrow.

Strava || Duolingo

I ended up doing 6 miles. I walked for around 0.5 miles near the end because my ankles were starting to hurt, but I'd say it went pretty well.

Strava || Duolingo

Thanks! Mornings could be better. The problem is that I usually finish my work at night and therefore have no desire to get up in the morning.

Strava || Duolingo

Week 1 recap:

I didn't run as much because I went to interval training Tuesday morning and decided to rest up for Sunday's 10-miler because my left hamstring was bothering me. I did end up running about 5.5 miles of a 6 mile run on Sunday because the pain kept creeping up my ankles after mile 3 so walking for a bit after 5 miles seemed like a good idea. The humongous and incredibly delicious brunch at the end made it all worth it (and probably undid any calories burned in the run...no regrets).

Running totals: 7.25 miles over 2 days.

I got up with my first alarm 4 times last week. Only 2 of those were on non-running days, so I've got some improvement to make on that front.

I didn't do that morning workout at all last week because I'm seriously not a morning person.

I did some job-hunting research 3 days last week, which isn't bad, but I've got a long way to go.

Looking forward to this week: My quads are really sore, so I'm definitely going to take a few days off running. I got up with my alarm this morning, but didn't do the workout or look for jobs. I'll just have to take each day at a time and see how it goes.

Strava || Duolingo

This week was super non-productive:

1. I didn't run all week: originally because I was taking a rest day or two after the 6-miler, but then I got sick. I'm probably at 85% healthy now, so I'll play squash tomorrow, but probably won't run until the coughing subsides some more.
  2. On the bright side, I've got an 11-day streak of getting up "early," despite being sick and not sleeping as much. Hopefully I can keep that up.
  3. I didn't do any job searching because I need to talk to the career counselor again and her waiting list was long last week so I didn't have time to talk to her before class. Hopefully I'll apply to some jobs before Christmas.
  4. I've pretty much abandoned the morning workout goal. All it did was hurt my neck/upper back and I've getting up on time and fully functional anyway (well mostly since I'm sick).

Looking forward to next week: I'm probably not going to run too much since I'm not planning on bringing my shoes home for Thanksgiving (also it might snow at home for Thanksgiving. What?). I'm hoping to go Wednesday, but it depends on the coughing. Like I said, I've got a morning streak going, so I'd like to keep that up while I'm home to the surprise of my mother. I'll talk to the career counselor on Tuesday and hopefully get some stuff sorted out.

Strava || Duolingo

Thanks Matt! I'm keeping a spreadsheet for this challenge and it's cool seeing all the 1's in the morning column. The zeros in the others...not so much.

Strava || Duolingo

Week 3 recap: halfway through and things are pretty crap-tastic:

1. I'm still coughing up a lung, so I still haven't run (it's been two weeks...). Depending on how I feel in the morning, I might go for a short run on the indoor track tomorrow. I also got an early X-mas present of cold weather gear, so I might be more inclined to run outside when I'm healthier.
  2. Broke the streak this morning (17 days) because I decided I didn't need the extra hour I set aside for showering. So I slept for an extra hour. Never two in a row.
  3. I talked to career services on Tuesday and found a cool position I want to apply for (and think I'd be good at). Why do places need cover letters? I'd have applied to so many things by now if it weren't for that [expletive] cover letter.

Looking forward to this week: last week of classes so projects and stuff galore. I'd like to be running again and apply for that job I just talked about.

• Like 1

Strava || Duolingo

Well I definitely didn't win this challenge.

I did pretty well on the alarm front, going 37.5 days out of 45 for 83.3% (half credit for deciding not to do something in the morning, so I went back to bed and got up with the next one).

I made the decision to abandon the morning workout when all it really did was hurt my neck, so we're going to ignore that.

I haven't been running since the end of week 2. After the 6-miler, I got sick for 3 weeks, then finals happened, and now I'm lazy; I'll admit it.

Totals: 4 days run (8.88%) for 13.25 miles. Also I didn't get a marathon team number. Hopefully I can train enough to successfully run bandit, but only time will tell.

As for potential future employment: the original challenge was to apply for 1 job per week. I applied for two jobs like a month ago, but I haven't really done anything. I went to the career counselor a few times, looked at jobs online, and went to part of a company's open house, so I'd give myself a C on this task.

Totals: 8 days doing job-related things (17.78%).

I've been doing some thinking, and with my last semester of college coming up, I might not do any challenges until after I graduate. Maybe I'll lurk around, but I have a feeling my capstone project is going to take over my life. Best of luck, fellow rebels.

Strava || Duolingo

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines