Maledictus: Buck Furpees 2: When The Beast Calls

Maledictus

The next challenge will run from November 11 - December 22. You can start early if you want  :)

My Spartan Beast is on the 9th.  You can be damn sure I'll be starting early and claiming points early.  My main problem at this point is not assigning all my points to the Beast, because it is pretty much all I can think about at this point.  I've been putting off interviews for other roles so I didn't have to do anything until after this weekend :).  

So I'm now down to 12.86% body fat which is pretty nice.  I've been following the program outlined in the book Engineering the Alpha and it works for me.  Phase 2 really  worked for me but after chatting with the local gym owner while he was measuring my body fat this week, it sounds as though I need to massively increase the amount of food I take in if I want to bulk up.  Which I'm not sure I do.  I love obstacle races, although I really don't like the first couple of k.  It's probably not a nice thing to say but I think I get more of a kick out of being able to power through after other people start to flag. Luckily I'm not competitive *cough*.  

Goal 1: When I say run, run. (pause) RUN! (+4 DEX)

I've managed to add running back in but it really isn't there yet.  During the last run I did (the Winter Wolf on sunday) there were brief sections where I was practically floating over the mud, skimmed right over the top and blasted past people.  It felt awesome.  I want some more of that.  The highlight was doing a box jump over a hay bale other people were clambering over and not stopping at all.  

Grade: Lose a grade per week without a full set of runs skipped (1 or 2, taking genuine factors into account).

Goal 2:  Slay the Beast (+5 STA, -1 WIS)

Oh come on, I had to use that line.   This isn't just about finishing the Beast and getting the medal.  There's a t shirt and bracelet at stake too!  Seriously, attempt all obstacles, no second guessing my abilities or stopping because I don't think I should be able to do something,

Grade:  Finishing is enough for a B.  Finishing with full effort on everything = A.

Goal 3: Stay the Course (+4 WIS)

This is just about finishing off the Engineering the Alpha program and deciding on my tasks for next year.  I think 2014 will be the year of the Ranger.  While I haven't been incredibly lax, I think combining running with the bulking phase of the program was a mistake and I need to be smarter about it.

Side quest:  Be Excellent to Each Other (+3 CHA).

I have a few ideas planned but basically I should be in a position to report back each week with some news on this.  If I can't, I get dinged 0.5 points.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

So I'm now down to 12.86% body fat which is pretty nice.  I've been following the program outlined in the book Engineering the Alpha and it works for me.  Phase 2 really  worked for me but after chatting with the local gym owner while he was measuring my body fat this week, it sounds as though I need to massively increase the amount of food I take in if I want to bulk up.  Which I'm not sure I do.  I love obstacle races, although I really don't like the first couple of k.  It's probably not a nice thing to say but I think I get more of a kick out of being able to power through after other people start to flag. Luckily I'm not competitive *cough*.  

What is this Engineering the Alpha book you speak of?  It sounds interesting.  Good luck with your upcoming race.  They sound fun and I want to try one.

I just got a mail from Spartan today: "Don't forget your head-torch, it gets dark around 16:30 and it can take up to 10 hours to finish."

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

What is this Engineering the Alpha book you speak of?  It sounds interesting.  Good luck with your upcoming race.  They sound fun and I want to try one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-2-0-Engineering-Version-Yourself-ebook/dp/B00CFLEEWW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383859892&sr=8-1&keywords=engineering+the+alpha+2.0

It's a bit bro-sciency in parts and could have done with a lot of tightening up by an editor (so some assembly required) but I'm amazed at how well some of it works, mainly phases 1 & 2 at this point.  I think I need to increase my calories to 5k/day to actually gain bulk at this point :).

Everyone should try one of these things at least once.  You'll know at the end if it's your last ... or your first :)

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

A steady diet of unpasteurised yak semen makes me strong like bull!

Although to be fair, that may just be the effort involved in milking the bugger.

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

Race pass printed and I'm off as soon as Rocky Balboa finishes downloading to the tablet!

I have junk in the trunk stuff in the basement!

A-FECKIN'-ROO!

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

Go get, 'em,  Maledictus!

I can't wait to hear all about it!!!!

Arroooooooo!!!

But, take out the gladiators when you do!!

You have my sworn oath.

243042199.jpg

I'll take that gladiator out.

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

Focus man!!

Slay the Beast first! Then you can take out the Gladiator.

Oh and now I'm officially subbed to this thread, so's I can get all the reports of plunder and conquest!

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Thanks all. Ill let you all know how I get on :)

Dictated over the phone to trained howler monkeys who post it on the Internet for me.

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

The only bit of me that isn't hurting right now is my pride and even that's niggling a bit ... details when I'm somewhere with actual coverage.

Dictated over the phone to trained howler monkeys who post it on the Internet for me.

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

And then.... ?

No.   You, of all people, don't get to complain about people not updating threads after doing stuff :).

He's probably in a ditch somewhere.

((Don't take this personally, my brother is coming round today so my insult ability and sarcasm is off the charts right now...))

No, I thought I was in your mother, then I realised it was a ditch.  I mean, it was cold, wet, inhospitable, stank and I couldn't for the life of me see why me or the several hundred other guys who had obviously been through there recently would pay for the privilege of doing so, so I can't see where the confusion came in.

((I'm from Liverpool, in my family good insults are an art form.  Me and the coffee house guy trade mother insults every day, (he's a SAffer) which confuses the crap out of everyone else in the queue...))

So, Spartan Beast, BRING IT!

... it brung it.  A lot :(

Got there early 'cause I couldn't sleep.  I should have paid more attention to the signs.

pippingford sign

The marshal at the hill we had to park at told me to slow down.  The one and only time that was necessary to state on the day.  I was only the second person to check in, guess what number the other guy asked for?

spaarta

Bought some stuff to throw in the car in case I got back late :).  Including this fetching little item.

bracelet

Apparently it's a UK exclusive, although they may be selling them ... in Canada.

So just before the start is began raining.  Heavily.  It didn't stop.  We had a late start and nobody could hear the announcements, so it got a bit tense.  More of a mud run than anything else.  The Winter Wolf last week was the best possible preparation I could have done for this.  Much more forest/swamp based than the sprints or the Super I did this year.  I appear to have a god given ability to find hidden holes in muddy water.  I did it a lot.  I only picked up 2 sets of penalty burpees though, which is less than the super.  One of the rope climbs (the one right at the end) and one of the sets of monkey bars (not the other two).

So most of it was as per usual, except there was a lot more of it.  Managed to dislocate my thumb when I was halfway round (my own damn fault, I  turned round to help someone out and just didn't pay attention when I turned back) although luckily it popped right back in.  Did it again later, which was spectacularly dumb of me   :).

thumbage

yeah.

Managed everything else, including the spear throw - I put contacts in and I'm glad I did even though it added an hour to getting ready.  I managed to go off track (following others) at least once although it was less than a mile before we all realised.  On a separate note, they should make condoms out of the same plastic the make contact lenses out of. 

The Atlas stone was a giggle.  Mainly because it was 30kg and sunk into the mud.  I think there was only me and one woman managed to do these while I was there.  The tyres for flips were 180kg, which I loved.  I definitely seem to favour the strength side of things.  The rope drop from the climbing ramp was a little hairy, it was about 10ft higher than normal and insanely slick.  The trench filled with ice cubes... not a big fan although it did stop everything hurting for about 30 minutes.

The rope climb was annoying, mainly because I actually did the punishment burpees which most people had given up on by that point apparently.  The gladiator just grinned at me and said "come and get hit big man" (I like that I hear big man these days and don't automatically assume they mean morbidly obese fat git).

He hit me, I shoved him back and shouted at him "now do it again like you mean it!"

He laughed.  Then smacked me good and hard :).

Oh yeah and I have no idea where I picked this one up

loverly

although I know where I picked these 2 up 

mutley

Annoyances.

The mud slide of a car park that took hours to get out of.
The fact they ran out of space blankets.
The fact they ran out of hot chocolate.
I carried 3 litres of water round and drank at most 1, the rest just being dead weight.
They told us there were 4 water stations so I assumed they'd be spaced out and was holding something back for after the last one to finish strong.  The last one was at the finish line.  I honestly had another 5-10 K in me and my time suffered as a result.
No hot chocolate at the finish.
I still didn't get to do a decent run.  Closing in on it though.
The showers didn't work and were in fact just hosepipes down to a pump next to the freezing cold river water.
... did I mention there was no hot chocolate?

So I think that's me done for 2013, unless I recover in time to help my friend do Survival of The Fittest next Saturday in London.  I'd like to, as I think this is the last year it will be at Battersea.
Oh and my good deed this time was to leave a couple of gel packs at each water station for anyone to pick them up.  I was saving the majority of them for water station #4 though, which was annoying
Timings and official photos to follow.

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

Awesome job! And a bad ass job too by the looks of the thumb!

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Race pass printed and I'm off as soon as Rocky Balboa finishes downloading to the tablet!

I have junk in the trunk stuff in the basement!

A-FECKIN'-ROO!

Zomg I just saw this!!!!

You got stuff in the basement!!!! Go get em!!!!!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

The gladiator story is priceless.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines